What's new

Russia-Ukraine War - News and Developments PART 2

Ukrainians keep pushing, with new decoys, they can now sneak in Storm Shadow and other ALCM/Rocket artillery through high SAM coverage.

Situation seems to be at a turning point.

Nice edit
Heard that the Russians are targeting old Soviet Rocket fuel storage sites. Smoke looks like a chemical fire.

That is also my source, and article 47 says that if Russia is a belligerent in an armed conflict (which it is here), then Russian citizens are never mercenaries in that conflict. They fail condition ”d”.

View attachment 929639
Article 4 does not applies to Russian in Russia because the entity is a non-state entity. Ie (NOT A Party to the conflict), as in State of Russia, instead of Russian.

Let's use your American Volunteer Group example, you said they satisfy 1-6. But this is impossible if we are talking about the land (Chinese) instead of party (as in ROC), AVG was a unit attached to the Republic of China, and sworn allegiance to Republic of China, so in practicality, this is a ROC unit comprises of American and British Volunteer, they were paid slightly higher (I think they were about 20-30% higher than USAAF paid, don't quote me on that tho)

Flying-Tiger-P-40-VII.jpg

Notice, the AVG P-40 is using ROC Roundel, not USAAF Roundel, or a completely blank paint scheme

In this case, if we compare Wagner and AVG. If we use your definition and interpretation of Article 47, Which is The Party to the Conflict does not count we only count the country. Then let's ask the same question to both organisation on both war

Was Wagner Group an organisation to the party of the Conflict? Russia is a party to the conflict. So yes
Was AVG an organisation to the party of the Conflict? China is a party to the conflict, so the answer is also yes.

On the other hand,

Was Russian Wagner operator is a national or resident of a party to a conflict? Yes, they are Russian and a resident in Russia
Was American in AVG a nation or resident of a party to a conflict? Yes, they reside in ROC during their service, hence a resident in China, which is a party to the conflict.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In fact, if article 4 was interpreted the way you said, if we do not distinguish between the country and the "Party" to the conflict.

Then there would be no Mercenary by this definition, because everyone would have to reside in the combat zone to fight in that combat zone, which give literally everyone the status of state actor.....Because remember D is

A person is NEITHER a national of the Party to the conflict NOR a resident of territories controlled by a party to the conflict.

I mean, if you fight in Iraq, you have to be a resident of Iraq regardless of your citizenship status, as in you have to be physically living in Iraq in order to fight in Iraq, how do you be a resident of somewhere else and fight in Iraq?

Last edited:
Simply because Putinites says Tony Blair was a war criminal, does not mean it is not true, despite Putinites being a mouthpiece of the Kremlin. Don't fall for only one side is correct. That is religious fanaticism. Both Washington and Moscow are wrong.

You are doing exactly the expectation of Trump and Putin, falling in line with Washington. Have those blinders on and trust Washington. Then blame only Trump for the loss of Europe when your own stupidity was to blame for the loss of Europe to Russian occupation. For trusting Beijing, Washington, and Moscow. These don't care about you. These hate you and want you occupied by Russia.

Yes, Europe needs to rearm. Yes, Russia has EW weapons that render high tech weapons useless. Therefore Europe needs to rearm in low tech weapons in the amount of the land forces of Ukraine and Russia. To have more firepower than Russia.
I agree Europe needs to rearm, and it is already happening. I disagree that we should rearm based upon russian fairy tails. Now please stop adressing me with this conspiracy. I cant force myself to read it.

Last edited:
Ukrainians keep pushing, with new decoys, they can now sneak in Storm Shadow and other ALCM/Rocket artillery through high SAM coverage.

Situation seems to be at a turning point.

Heard that the Russians are targeting old Soviet Rocket fuel storage sites. Smoke looks like a chemical fire.
Its just my opinion, but I think Russia has limited satelite coverage over Ukraine and pro russian spies have probably been eliminated by now. I just dont think Russia has much awareness of ukrainian locations and potential risks. Russia striking major newly arrived ammunition donations at storage sites deep inside Ukraine seems impossible. My guess is they target well known fuel storage sites and chemical plants hoping for some major damage and good PR.

German IFV is named Marder.
I dont think the Leopard 1 have reached Ukraine yet. Instructors in Denmark are brushing up using Leopard 1s keept in tank museums .. and thats the truth. They were withdrawn from service in 2007.
Theek hai

Russians are beaten now there police are doing the fighting this is how much russian women are obsecessed with Ukrainian beauties

Its just my opinion, but I think Russia has limited satelite coverage over Ukraine and pro russian spies have probably been eliminated by now. I just dont think Russia has much awareness of ukrainian locations and potential risks. Russia striking major newly arrived ammunition donations at storage sites deep inside Ukraine seems impossible. My guess is they target well known fuel storage sites and chemical plants hoping for some major damage and good PR.

Makes sense, after the humiliating strike in Luhansk city HQ, need some pyrotechnics to fool the sheep.

chemical plants hoping for some major damage and good PR.
The plant in question has been used by the Russians in the past to destroy Soviet era munitions well past it 'use by' date. So yes, I'd say both assumption are probably correct the Russians needed a big bag to distract from the humiliating set backs and the Russians knew the precise location of the plant.

Yes, that is possible, but it is easier to take up residency since that would also rule you out. If I were on a jury I would only find that acceptable if the individual was a resident when recruited.
In a way, granting citizenship is legally easier to prove over legal residency. Also faster by simple fiat and a piece of paper. Legal residency requires at least a cover address somewhere, even a Post Office box number in a town or city somewhere. Proof of citizenship are mobile with the person and a copy with the State.

The critical words are

I interpret that as ”not an armed conflict”, because ”1” is about mercenaries in armed conflicts. The current war is an armed conflict.
The most obvious scenario for ”2” would be planning and executing a coup.
How else interpret ”in any other situation”?
We can dissect this further.

It is clear that the category of “mercenary” cannot be extended to cover some grey area regarding voluntary combatants who do not share the nationality of the belligerents and decide to take part in a conflict,

Now, let us assume the person is medically rational. We are not talking about a person with known/unknown mental illness. The question then is why would anyone who DOES NOT share the nationalities (plural) of belligerents and yet decide to join the armed conflict on either side. The answer is for financial gain.

or employees of private military companies present in situations of conflict.

Now we have a problem. What if a person DOES share the nationality of Side A and decide to join a PMC that is hired by Side A to fight against Side B? This would disqualify him from being a mercenary as how the Wagner Group is doing with Russian convicts.

The main rationale of this category is to impose the stigma of financial greed as opposed to the virtues of patriotism and honor that would characterize regular combatants.

Because a war remains a political event even when deteriorated into fighting, when fighting in a war, we expects high ideals to be the ONLY motivation for someone to risk limbs and even life. So for soldiering, we cast down money and elevate country as reason why anyone should fight in a war, and the GC attempted to quantify this ideal by using the shared nationality criteria. Essentially, via a PMC you can fight for your country without being a sworn agent for your country. If the PMC decide to hire itself into another war where your nationality is not involved, then you would become a mercenary in that war.

2. A mercenary is also any person who, in any other situation:
(a) Is specially recruited locally or abroad for the purpose of participating in a concerted act of violence aimed at :
(i) Overthrowing a Government or otherwise undermining the constitutional order of a State; or
(ii) Undermining the territorial integrity of a State;
(b) Is motivated to take part therein essentially by the desire for significant private gain and is prompted by the promise or payment of material compensation;
(c) Is neither a national nor a resident of the State against which such an act is directed;
(d) Has not been sent by a State on official duty; and
(e) Is not a member of the armed forces of the State on whose territory the act is undertaken.

Section 2(c) is of interest. What is the likelihood of Wagner successfully hiring a Ukrainian in Russia to fight against Ukrainians in Ukraine?

Section 2(a) is already in play. Ukraine became sovereign at the breakup of the SU.

Section 2(b) is necessary for the PMC to hire anyone that the State either cannot or refused to enlist.

Expensive, Western-provided anti-air defense systems have been used to shoot down this decoy drone that even kindergarten kids can make. 👇 So much effective use of those "sophisticated" anti-air defense weapons.

and how did you know expensive western provided anti-air defense systems were used to bring down that decoy drone? take a closer look at your tweet, if that little thing was hit by a Patriot or NASAM or IRIS-T it would be in a thousand pieces.

I dont think any modern armed forces plan for a static war like the one Ukraine and Russia are fighting. If Ukraine is able to grind down russian forces using trench lines, ATGMs and Manpads, Russia conventionally attacking any NATO member would be complete madness.
No one plan this kind of war , they are forced to fight like this because enemy is strong enough to stay on his position

This is an old Russian EW weapon:

Put it on a HGV over the target, destroy the enemy electronics, then destroy the enemy with Cruise missiles once defenseless.

Can be used to disable ships, aircraft, missiles, ADS. This is more than jamming the signals, it is the disabling the entire system electronically via something that can be compared to an EW weapon version of an EMP. Systems are (perhaps temporarily) disabled. I would discuss these types of classified weapons on old forums over a dozen years ago. This is old, old tech. If Europe is relying on high tech to defend from Russia, expect Russian EW Tech to defeat European "high tech". Russia has EW weapons that disable personnel. Causes so much agony, you run from the Russians. USA has these weapons, Russia has these weapons. Israel has access to both Russian and USA weapons. Get artillery - mortar and howitzer. This EW stuff is no joke. Russia is saving these weapons for the war vs Europe. USA is saving these weapons for the war with China. And are not sharing them with partners.

This is why the baseline/starting position of EU armies must be dumb artillery, greater firepower than the amount Russia has. Then you move from there.

Make sure you design your precision and dumb ammo well that EW weapons cannot detonate/activate the fuse of the projectile fired from artillery, via sonic or electromagnetic waves.

False claim by Russians.

Back
Top Bottom