What's new

Russia in talks with Saudi Arabia for the sale of T-90MS main battle tanks.

Good choice. I hope Pakistan also gets $300-400 of them.

Mostly bc ALTAY is delayed maybe. so they need some pcs for peculiar missions. As for ToT KSA will mostly get it by choosing ALTAY in the future.

"Maybe" won't work here. ToT must/should occur. If not we might as well try to pay a little bit more and convince the Germans, Americans to sell their best goodies or wait for China to develop something better or equally as good. Besides as I wrote earlier, a large tank force will be obsolete IMO in a not too distant future and due to size and geography and current geopolitical threats, KSA does not face a potential enemy that could invade KSA, using a large tank force in the process etc.

We should focus on many other areas that are more useful.

Also allow me to be skeptical about this news. I have heard about "KSA and Russia to sign this and that major deal" for a few years and nothing has happened.

Also why would the Russians sell us their leading products when we have developed such a close military relationship with Ukraine (Antonov etc.)? Are they this broke or desperate for new "friends"?

Last edited:
Is it just me or do the Saudis seem to be turning away from the West?
America is very anti Muslim anti Arab and very pro Israel. When it hits them in the pocket they will wake up to benefits of Israel. Glad to see Saudis moving away from the Americans

"Maybe" won't work here. ToT must/should occur. If not we might as well try to pay a little bit more and convince the Germans, Americans to sell their best goodies or wait for China to develop something better or equally as good. Besides as I wrote earlier, a large tank force will be obsolete IMO in a not too distant future and due to size and geography and current geopolitical threats, KSA does not face a potential enemy that could invade KSA, using a large tank force in the process etc.

Yes large number of sleeping tank for KSA is not much of any help... I agree. But T-90 will be used for peculiar missions( with very few pcs... They need few fast maybe)
As for ALTAY, even if KSA do not need a large number of tanks, they will mostly buy a good number of them, for the ToT part+ inland manufacturing...

Yes large number of sleeping tank for KSA is not much of any help... I agree. But T-90 will be used for peculiar missions( with very few pcs... They need few fast maybe)
As for ALTAY, even if KSA do not need a large number of tanks, they will mostly buy a good number of them, for the ToT part+ inland manufacturing...

We will have to see bro. For now I doubt this news just like I doubted other military news published in recent years related to KSA and Russia and "this and that major deal to be signed soon" etc. Nothing ever happened and we always looked elsewhere. Rightly so IMO.

ToT should be crucial, inland manufacturing and possible export opportunities for every major military purchase that KSA makes as per the Saudi Vision 2030. Look at the promising and developing relationship with Ukraine in this regard. The cooperation with Antonov is a good example. I want to see more of that and I don't think that Russians are willing to offer anything similar thus I would consider this a waste of money especially looking at the fact that having a large tank force for KSA is unnecessary for the reasons that I have mentioned.

Anyway 1 year ago or so there were reports of KSA wanting to buy 100's of Leclerc tanks. UAE has 388 of them for instance and those used in Yemen have proven their worth.

http://defence-blog.com/army/saudi-arabia-wants-to-buy-a-leclerc-main-battle-tanks.html

In general we have many options in this regard (tanks).

In short I would be very surprised if this news is genuine and if it is, I would consider it as a quite significant deal from a geopolitical viewpoint. It could lead to other possible deals involving Russia as well. S-400 says hello. On the other hand this could hurt our relationship with Ukraine which would be sad IMO.

Last edited:
We will have to see bro. For now I doubt this news just like I doubted other military news published in recent years related to KSA and Russia and "this and that major deal to be signed soon" etc. Nothing ever happened and we always looked elsewhere. Rightly so IMO.

ToT should be crucial, inland manufacturing and possible export opportunities for every major military purchase that KSA makes as per the Saudi Vision 2030. Look at the promising and developing relationship with Ukraine in this regard. The cooperation with Antonov is a good example. I want to see more of that and I don't think that Russians are willing to offer anything similar thus I would consider this a waste of money especially looking at the fact that having a large tank force for KSA is unnecessary for the reasons that I have mentioned.

Anyway 1 year ago or so there were reports of KSA wanting to buy 100's of Leclerc tanks. UAE has 388 of them for instance and those used in Yemen have proven their worth.

http://defence-blog.com/army/saudi-arabia-wants-to-buy-a-leclerc-main-battle-tanks.html

In general we have many options in this regard (tanks).

Well ofc this news need more confirmation. I agree.
And yes Russia is not the best partner for ToT.
While China and Turkey do. (That's why ALTAY is a good opportunity for KSA to manufacture their own tank with their acquirred tech, even tho' tanks for KSA is not the perfect platform... but they will have the BP of one at least... one of their own...)

As for Leclerc, it's surely a good tank, but those used by UAE in Yemen are not in the front line... Rumors said that one or two were touched and that few days later were back on biz... but yet Leclerc is still a "ghostly" tank till this day...

As for UAE next Tank... Well with the Otokar IFV deal with ToT, I will not be suprised to see the ALTAY in the same spot in the coming years... therefore no need for more "Western/Leclerc" tanks...

Well ofc this news need more confirmation. I agree.
And yes Russia is not the best partner for ToT.
While China and Turkey do. (That's why ALTAY is a good opportunity for KSA to manufacture their own tank with their acquirred tech, even tho' tanks for KSA is not the perfect platform... but they will have the BP of one at least... one of their own...)

As for Leclerc, it's surely a good tank, but those used by UAE in Yemen are not in the front line... Rumors said that one or two were touched and that few days later were back on biz... but yet Leclerc is still a "ghostly" tank till this day...

As for UAE next Tank... Well with the Otokar IFV deal with ToT, I will not be suprised to see the ALTAY in the same spot in the coming years... therefore no need for more "Western/Leclerc" tanks...

We will have to see what will occur. However the essence here is that tanks should not even be among the priorities for KSA currently. The most important goal should be to try to accomplish the ambitious goals in the Saudi Vision 2030 and so far the first 11 months have been very promising in this regard. More than I would have believed 1 year ago.

They could get the same deal as India and assemble them under knock down kits provided by Russia.

I've seen a houthi rebel screw an rpg into a Saudi Abram's tank radiator and the crew running out to save themselves from.immenent death. What can T-90 do in such gorilla warfare?!

looks to me the saying of; it's the man behind the machine not the machine which makes the difference, very true here.

We should focus on many other areas that are more useful.

Also allow me to be skeptical about this news. I have heard about "KSA and Russia to sign this and that major deal" for a few years and nothing has happened.

Also why would the Russians sell us their leading products when we have developed such a close military relationship with Ukraine (Antonov etc.)? Are they this broke or desperate for new "friends"?
or try to develop yourself without tot is option too

Well..Israel choosed the ToT way... in the beginning...
Even free ToT... with you "nuclear warhead" given to you in secret by the US...
its was franch who helped us not usa only in nukes and jerocho 1 israel is inovate country

its was franch who helped us not usa only in nukes and jerocho 1 israel is inovate country
with all saudi money they can develop f 35 if we had this money long time ago we could develop more lot of things

with all saudi money they can develop f 35 if we had this money long time ago we could develop more lot of things

Commentception... answering his own previous comment...

We found our winner!!!:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom