What's new

Rs 80,000 crore worth defence projects cleared, 6 submarines to be built in India

@sancho
Sir what's the difference in Scorpion Subs and P17i Subs?? Why didn't we buy more scorpions with AIP with land attack missiles instead of paying lots of cash for 6 subs

Regarding saras its still not got IOC and there is already a fixed order for it. Dornier is in production and is a tested platform.
BTW this monthly DAC clearances are really quickening the pace of acquisitions. 5 months comparable to years of UPA.

The order for Saras was only for 15 so far with the potential for additional once, but with this order, the Saras order is in trouble. It's the same case now as IAF have with the basic trainer, which didn't wanted to operate to different aircrafts in the same role and orders more foreign trainers instead. So depending on the outcome of Saras development, but now also based on the costs in comparison to the Do 228, IN might go for Saras or not.

Wrt DAC, these are the first new clearances, the last set were basically confirmations of once done under the former MoD, which were passed over to the time after the election. But there is surely more pace in the bureaucracy at the moment.

Yes... Saras is nowhere to be seen and this is serving the forces well.

What happend to the underdog supporter? :D

@sancho
Sir what's the difference in Scorpion Subs and P17i Subs?? Why didn't we buy more scorpions with AIP with land attack missiles instead of paying lots of cash for 6 subs

The difference is, that IN today requires AIP and a land attack capability, while they weren't mandatory in the earlier competition. On the rest as explained earlier:

We are not necessarily going for a new sub, we just use the competition to get more benefits for us wrt costs, offsets or ToT. If we ask DCNS for a simple addional order of Scorpenes, we won't be able to negotiate much, but if they feel the pressure of competition offers, they have to give us more too. It is even very likely that we will just order more Scorpenes, since it fulfills our requirements of AIP and land attack missiles (most likely export versions of the naval Scalp) and have the benefit of the already existing production line as you said, but producing them on 2 seperate production lines would be a silly idea.

Saras is in different kind of trouble. Let it get IOC first. We will have more of them in service once that happens.

Saras is in different kind of trouble. Let it get IOC first. We will have more of them in service once that happens.

No doubt that it has issues that needs to be solved, but buying alternatives => reduces the potential orders of Saras, therefor => increases the costs => makes it less attractive for the customer. The Do 228 is a good and proven aircraft, which is also widely exported, but it is a foreign aircraft and licence production in India doesn't change that. And compared to HALs basic trainer, Saras is far more realistic to be available soon don't you think?

T
What happend to the underdog supporter? :D

Cant find that underdog right now.. :D

Saras is not going anywhere. These never ending trials are very frustrating.

And compared to HALs basic trainer, Saras is far more realistic to be available soon don't you think?
Completely agree with this part. But saras once it gets IOC will get more orders. Yes the orders affect the future orders but not too much. I think the current order is to maintain operational levels.

Cant find that underdog right now.. :D

Saras is not going anywhere. These never ending trials are very frustrating.

Frustrating, but that doesn't mean we can let an indigenous development that got so far go like that. Same goes with the IJT, it would be a disaster for India if we have to scrap these developments and keep procureing foreign counterparts.

I think the current order is to maintain operational levels.

Obviously, but that's the point. IN has only a total requirement of X of these aircrafts, if they now go for Do 228s, the requirement is lower (basically in half), so even if they decide to go for Saras in addition, their won't be more orders since the requirement is fulfilled. And if IAF does the same, it gets even worse for Saras!

picsay-1414269609851.jpg

Now with this new sham defense deal of submarines, India navy jumps on the band wagon

The first question comes to my mind when i hear this is, Do we have capacity to build 6 more???? Almost all the shipyards are running in capacity and almost all of them have further orders pending with them.....
I don't think L&T's submarine building station is occupied. They can take on building a couple of these.

Good start, after all a decade worth of catching up is to be done. Btw the javelin is written off completely or will we have some role in offered 4th development?

Back
Top Bottom