What's new

Rohingya Ethnic Cleansing - Updates & Discussions

why can't Indians campaign for these people who left barely 200~ years?
Little correction: It was 1430 AD when the Muslim soldiers from Gaur (the old Capital) migrated to Arakan, which was not a part of Burma at that time, at the head of an expedition team to reinstate the legal Buddhist King there. After a successful operation to drive away the King's nephew they brought their families and chose to settle there. Whatever may be the reason, these people call themselves now Rohingya.

Little correction: It was 1430 AD when the Muslim soldiers from Gaur (the old Capital) migrated to Arakan, which was not a part of Burma at that time, at the head of an expedition team to reinstate the legal Buddhist King there. After a successful operation to drive away the King's nephew they brought their families and chose to settle there. Whatever may be the reason, these people call themselves now Rohingya.

Wrong. The Burmese have already accepted those muslim tribes from that far ago as citizens of Burma.

@Aung Zaya can tell you what their name is etc....I forgot.

Rohingya specifically are those that are much more recent (British Raj onwards)

It is the choice of each country to delineate what it considers as recent migrants...BD should do the right thing here and take back its people. Chittagong is part of BD, these people are from there.....its really that simple.

Well it makes Pakistan position somewhat lose ethically from the "ummah" perspective. Thats why I asked.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by that. The "Ummah" concept is simply that all Muslims are apart of the same religious community. The exact same thing can be said about Christians, Jews, or Hindus.

But I actually support Pakistan seeing beyond this and making the pragmatic decision. "Ummah" has done much to cooperate with India after all.....KSA even bestowed their highest honour on Modi.

Well, what I don't understand is what, if at all, seems to be in conflict with the "Ummah" concept. You seem to be incorrectly implying that because Pakistan simply sold JF-17s earlier this year to Myanmar's government, that it constitutes some kind implicit shunning of the Rohingya community. That's not true at all. As I stated before, the two things have little to do with each other.

Not selling JF-17s to the government of that country would not have improved the situation of the Rohingyas. They're not being used to kill them. And the Burmese people themselves have been the worst offenders of the ethnic cleansing going on there, not their government. That will not change no matter what Pakistan does, or doesn't do.

Has Pakistan made any official comment on the current rohingya tensions?

I assume that they have at some point. But more importantly, Karachi alone hosts between 200,000-400,000 Rohingyas. That's more than almost all other countries. How much more can Pakistan do?

"Today, according to the Arakan Historical Society (AHS), there are some 200,000 more Rohingyas living in Pakistan"

http://www.burmalibrary.org/docs/SRI-rohingya.htm#_ednref4
(2003)

"Although there are no official statistics available, interviews with Bengali and Rohingya community leaders and researchers suggest that there are over 1.6 million Bengalis and up to 400,000 Rohingyas living in Karachi."

https://www.thenews.com.pk/print/55513-bengali-and-rohingya-leaders-gearing-up-for-lg-polls
(2015)

This is a great article on their community in Karachi from the Huffington Post, if you're interested:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/derek-henry-flood/from-south-to-south-refug_b_100387.html

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by that. The "Ummah" concept is simply that all Muslims are apart of the same religious community. The exact same thing can be said about Christians, Jews, or Hindus.

Hence the inverted commas I used (there are clear proponents of it on this very forum from the stance I was mentioning). It is a lose concept that all muslims worldwide must band together and act with one global voice and action etc. It has hurt Pakistan more than helped it I feel.

You seem to be incorrectly implying that because Pakistan simply sold JF-17s earlier this year to Myanmar's government, that it constitutes some kind implicit shunning of the Rohingya community. That's not true at all. As I stated before, the two things have little to do with each other.

No I did not make that assertion for my stance. Rather I was mentioning it as an assertion that is out there....one that some Pakistanis have, but especially many BD people have.

I assume that they have at some point. But more importantly, Karachi alone hosts between 200,000-400,000 Rohingyas. That's more than almost all other countries. How much more can Pakistan do?

These Rohingya are recent immigrants or from longer back (say before Bangladesh separated from Pakistan)?

Pakistan need not host anymore, thats for sure. The onus is on BD today to take in these refugees that originate from BD (Chittagong) in the first place.

Hefazat rally-procession protests at ‘Rohingya genocide’

33fad35000744508a4912206ceafe327-baitul-mukarram.jpg
Leading Islamist leaders and ulema accused Myanmar of conducting genocide against Rohingya people in its Rakhaine state and urged the government to give the fleeing Muslims shelter.

At a huge rally at the north gate of Baitul Mukarram mosque in Dhaka, the leaders also castigated the United Nations for failing to take effective action to stop the torture.

Hefazat-e-Islam organised the rally after Jumaa prayers followed by a large procession that marched the city streets.

Hefazat Dhaka city unit president Nur Hosaain Qasemi presided over the meeting with Mufti Mohammad Waqqas as the chief guest, said a Hefazat press release.

Abdul Hamid (Peer of Madhupur), Abdul Latif Nezami, Zafrullah Khan, Mufti Faizullah, Ahmed Abdul Quader, Taiyib Hossain, Muhiuddin Ekram, Zubayer Ahmed, Fazlul Karim Qasemi, Zasimuddin, Muzibur Rahman Hamidee, Sheikh Lokman Hossain, Altaf Hossain, Fakhrul Islam, Faisal Ahmed and others spoke on the occasion.

Meanwhile, Islami Andolan Bangladesh announced Myanmar embassy gherao programme for 5 December.

The party leaders urged the peace loving people to make the programme a success, according to a press statement of the party.

অবশেষে, রোহিঙ্গা নির্যাতনের বিপক্ষে, বাংলাদেশের স্পষ্ট অবস্থান!!(দেখুন ভিডিও) শেয়ার করে সবাইকে জানিয়ে দিন

যুদ্ধ লাগলে কে জিতবে বাংলাদেশ নাকি মায়ানমার ? দেখুন কার শক্তি বেশি ? বিস্তারিত ভিডিওতে

Hence the inverted commas I used (there are clear proponents of it on this very forum from the stance I was mentioning). It is a lose concept that all muslims worldwide must band together and act with one global voice and action etc. It has hurt Pakistan more than helped it I feel.

Well, I guess that I was just trying to explain the Ummah concept. It only means that all Muslims are a part of one religious community, nothing more.

If some Muslims hold certain political views regarding all of us worldwide, that's fine. But I just wanted to point out that the Ummah concept and what you're discussing are not the same thing.

No I did not make that assertion for my stance. Rather I was mentioning it as an assertion that is out there....one that some Pakistanis have, but especially many BD people have.

Understood. I did want to address it though, in any case.

And Bangladeshis, more than just about anyone else, should not hold this view given the history behind the creation of their country.

The onus is on BD today to take in these refugees that originate

Well, I don't necessarily agree.

However, I do feel this way about the immigration of their people to India and Pakistan, given that it happened after the creation of their country.

These Rohingya are recent immigrants or from longer back (say before Bangladesh separated from Pakistan)?

Most of them arrived after the creation Bangladesh (especially after Myanmar stripped their community of citizenship in the 1980s):

"The majority of Karachi's Rohingyas, the Nara official said, arrived during the 1990s, both as economic migrants and refugees fleeing the festering violence in their homeland. "They are now the largest illegal alien population in the city after Bengalis and Afghans," he added."

"The first wave of Rohingya came to Karachi in 1978 after a major eruption of violence in Burma. Hundreds of thousands fled to Bangladesh. The Economist magazine predicted that Burma would be "flushed clean" of Muslims within six months. Pakistan's Islamist military dictator at the time, Gen Muhammad Zia-ul-Haq, offered Rohingya resident permits in Pakistan and thousands landed in Karachi, though they were never granted citizenship.

http://www.thenational.ae/news/worl...-decades-ago-did-not-escape-persecution#page2

why cant other muslim countries take these refugess and end their sufferings,instead of protesting and hoping someone will come to help them,there are so many muslim countries,just help them.

It's not really the "regime". The Burmese people themselves are the biggest issue. Many monks have joined in too and are some of the worst offenders. The regime itself has nothing to gain from these mass killings. It makes them and their country look bad. The Burmese people hate the Rohingyas and support ethnic cleansing, that's the issue. Pakistan refusing to deal with this regime will not change that.

It does not matter whether it achieves anything.

Not dealing with Myanmar(people + regime) will show that Pakistan does not like it's inhuman behaviour. Like I say, either stand for principle or not.

It is the choice of each country to delineate what it considers as recent migrants...BD should do the right thing here and take back its people. Chittagong is part of BD, these people are from there.....its really that simple.

These people are part of modern Burma when the international boundaries were set after WW2

If Myanmar wants to kick out it's own citizens then it should not cry when countries covert it's massively underpopulated territory.

It does not matter whether it achieves anything.

Not dealing with Myanmar(people + regime) will show that Pakistan does not like it's inhuman behaviour. Like I say, either stand for principle or not.

Sorry, but I can't agree with you. Pakistan continues to deal with India, even though it routinely kills Kashmirs and Pakistani civilians along the LOC---six children were killed just recently. India does the same with us. We continue to deal with Afghanistan despite its behavior along our border (including killing our soldiers).

And we continue to deal with Bangladesh, even though their government routinely makes statements against Pakistan, threatens to take positions that would violate our territorial integrity, blames Pakistan for violence in their country, calls Pakistanis mass-murderers and rapists, conducts sham trials in kangaroo courts that have been condemned by the international community and executes people.

We find these things to be inhumane too, but we continue have relations and trade with these countries. Most other countries do the same (including Bangladesh). Your logic is not shared by most countries on earth.

Last edited:
Sorry, but I can't agree with you. Pakistan continues to deal with India, even though it routinely kills Kashmirs and Pakistani civilians along the LOC---six children were killed just recently. India does the same with us. We continue to deal with Afghanistan despite its behavior along our border (including killing our soldiers). And we continue to deal with Bangladesh, even though their government routinely makes statements against Pakistan, threatens to take potions that would violate our territorial integrity, blames Pakistan for violence in their country, call Pakistanis mass-murderers and rapists, conducts sham trials in kangaroo courts that have been condemned by the international community and executes people.

We find these things to be inhumane too, but we continue have relations and trade with these countries. Most other countries do the same (including Bangladesh). Your logic is not shared by most countries on earth.

Deal with Myanmar but dont beat around the bush about how only Pakistan is into the Muslim "Ummah" thing.

Your other examples are a bit silly to be honest as none are as genocidal as Myanmar who is trying to wipe out an entire ethnic group from it's territory.

I have no idea, Bangladesh? It is the closest safe country.

But CNN is showing machine gun wielding Bangladeshi forces turning the river boats back.

Essentially, Bangladesh is washing it's hands off its own people.

So what are their options now?

But CNN is showing machine gun wielding Bangladeshi forces turning the river boats back.

Essentially, Bangladesh is washing it's hands off its own people.

So what are their options now?

Not own people - they are an intermediate race.

And we are too poor to take in every persecuted ethnic group in the neighborhood.

Not own people - they are an intermediate race.

And we are too poor to take in every persecuted ethnic group in the neighborhood.

They are Bangladeshi origin. And not generations back either. One cannot speak of poverty when ones own blood is being butchered. I am really surprised. Can you not provide them more than the images we see of their living conditions on TV?

Deal with Myanmar but dont beat around the bush about how only Pakistan is into the Muslim "Ummah" thing.

Your other examples are a bit silly to be honest as none are as genocidal as Myanmar who is trying to wipe out an entire ethnic group from it's territory.

We're not into the Ummah thing, at least as you describe it. I discussed this earlier with nilgiri.

On the contrary, they are very relevant examples. Tens of thousands have been killed in Kashmir since 1989, far more than the amount of Rohingyas that have been killed in the same time period. If we continue to have relations with India despite this, why wouldn't we do the same with Myanmar?

We're not into the Ummah thing, at least as you describe it. I discussed this earlier with nilgiri.

On the contrary, they are very relevant examples. Tens of thousands have been killed in Kashmir since 1989, far more than the amount of Rohingyas that have been killed in the same time period. If we continue to have relations with India despite this, why wouldn't we do the same with Myanmar?

India is not trying to wipe out the Kashmiri Muslims like Myanmar is trying to do with Rohingya.

Back
Top Bottom