What's new

Rise of Islam in Bengal, role of migration

With due respect but comparing The situation of Turks and Ghilzai Pashtuns is a good joke. Oghuz Turks speak the same language like their ancestors 1000 ago and modern Turks have also a good chunk of Oghuz Turkic DNA. Ghilzais are Pashtuns and speak an Eastern Iranian language. They are also genetically not close to any Turkic people.

This qoute is from Wikipedia and the soruces are right here.

part1_05
With due respect but comparing The situation of Turks and Ghilzai Pashtuns is a good joke. Oghuz Turks speak the same language like their ancestors 1000 ago and modern Turks have also a good chunk of Oghuz Turkic DNA. Ghilzais are Pashtuns and speak an Eastern Iranian language. They are also genetically not close to any Turkic people.

This qoute is from Wikipedia and the soruces are right here.

part1_05
I agree with you. Khiljis migrated from present day helmand province of Afghanistan which was dominated by ghilzais unitll durranis took over. Khiljis and other pashtuns were foot soldiers of turkic rulers in India and were considered of lower social status in turk ruled India. The khiljis, therefore tried to assert their ambigous turk identity in elite turk society of india once they became rulers, but were not accepted as turks, because they were culturally and linguistically different. Khushal khan khattak, a pashto poet of 1600s, mention jalaludin khilji as a pashtun king. The kin of ghilzais/khiljis, lodhis and suris didnt claim to be turks , as they had freshly arrived from their homelands and turks were no longer the ruling elite. And unlike khiljis before them, lodhis and suris established afghans/pashtuns as ruling class of india.
@kalu_miah

They're still classified as a Turkic group regardless. The khilijis are referred to as Turkic rule but many histories also refer to them as Pashtuns or Pathans. Pathan or Afghani is a more popular word in Bangladesh. Bakhtiyar Khilji was taught in schools in BD. Don't know about now.
Bold Part: What really do you want to say?

I was not referring to the quote from wiki that you presented, but your own opinions and comments.

Language has very little to do with genetics. Here is a genetic admixture map of many different population:

14y4i0.png

To see bigger picture please click on the picture above or the link below:
http://i48.tinypic.com/14y4i0.png

You can see Yakuts have unmixed North East Asian genes (Yellow), whereas most East Asians are a mix between Yakut type North East Asian and Dai (Thai, orange) type South East Asian genes.

Turkey population are closest to people of North Caucasus - Adyghe, N. Ossetians, Chechens, Lezgins, Balkars and Kumiks, but not Nogais. Only difference is you have 15% Bedouin which is not present in North Caucasus people. You have around 5-10% East Asian genes with more North East Asian (Yakut, yellow) than South East Asian (Dai/Thai, orange). Russians actually have much more North East Asian genes than Turkey population.

Pathans/Pashtuns also have East Asian genes, but its mostly South East Asian (Dai, orange) and a little Yakut.

So it is a huge source of misconception for people of the world that the name of your country is Turkey and your people are called Turk, if you compare the genetic admixtures of "real" historic Central Asian Turks to today's Turkey population. The name Turk comes from GokTurk (I am sure you know, but I am presenting for other readers):
Göktürks - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
GokTurk genetic admixture back then would probably look more like todays Altaians, who are more than 60% Yakut (yellow) and around 20% Dai/Thai (Orange). So they are around 80% Asian and 10% Eastern Iranic (Green) and 10% Western European (Dark Blue).

Turkey name can be justified only due to the fact that your people speak a Turkic language, not because of genetic admixture of the population. A more appropriate name is Ottoman or Osmanli, which represents the true imperial heritage of Turkey.

Hope I have not offended you by saying any of this. But I am just expressing my frank opinion.

So what? I know that Anatolian Turks are genetically not the same as Central Asian Turks as they mixed with Greeks, Persians, Kurds, Caucasians and anyone in Anatolia when we migrated there. This diluted our Siberian DNA but Turkmens themselves are genetically West Asian and have only 2x more Mongoloid admixture than Turks. Pathans have minimal Siberian DNA. Where are there Turkic Khilji genes?

The " Russians" with that Siberian DNA are from Northern Russia where they are quite mixed with Mongoloid Siberians. Russians from Europe have only 4% Siberian DNA

Nobody knows how the Gökturks and Proto-Turks looked like. They could be predominantly Caucasoid, Mongoloid or a mix between these groups from the beginning. The people from Altai Mountains themselves were genetically more Caucasoid in the Bronze Age than today

Here is a more fresh Autosomal DNA study from 2013.

icon1.png
autosomal DNA from Lazaridis et al. 2013

Admixtures-Lazaridis.png

Last edited:
I asked to that respected member here.That is why I mentioned his name.

Yes there were massive migration from Deccan under Sena Dynasty. There were also migration during Palas's. But before that migration was mostly from west to east when Aryanisation ocuured.

I dont believe in AIT theory.Migration may happened but we dont count them as a noble Aryans or something like that.Might they were white people.In our believes Aryans means noble people whose action is noble .Not according to their colour.

Last edited:
Do you read and understand Bengali? I cite a few sentences from the great Historian Rakhaldas Bannerjy. In his Bangalar Itihash (History of Bengal) he wrote," Uttar theke ele Mongol Jati, Daskhin theke elo Drabir jaitiyo jonogoshthi. Aar Choto Nagpor theke elo Negro jatiyo lokjon. Ei tin jater shongmisrone adi Bangalir utpotti.

So, you can see that Muslims and Hindus alike Bangali people are basically a mix of at least three genetically separate groups of population. If you look closely you will see that all their physical features are prominent among the Bangalis.

I admire Rakhaldas Bannerjee, one of the doyens among historians, but this was not a very convincing passage: it is at best an opinion.

I am not asking you.I asked to that respected member here.That is why I mentioned his name.

I dont believe in AIT theory.Migration may happened but we dont count them as a noble Aryans or something like that.Might they were white people.In our believes Aryans means noble people whose action is noble .Not according to their colour.

Be mellow, @sreekumar .

@eastwatch is an old and well-esteemed member, very knowledgeable in his own way, with an uncertain temper. It is better to tactfully turn away when he is in a bad mood, and pretend that nothing happened. He is one of those who re-built this forum. Cut him some slack ;-)

I admire Rakhaldas Bannerjee, one of the doyens among historians, but this was not a very convincing passage: it is at best an opinion.

Be mellow, @sreekumar .

@eastwatch is an old and well-esteemed member, very knowledgeable in his own way, with an uncertain temper. It is better to tactfully turn away when he is in a bad mood, and pretend that nothing happened. He is one of those who re-built this forum. Cut him some slack ;-)

Ok sir :enjoy:.I dont meant to criticise him.He unwantedly angered against me hen when I post a legitimate question.

Ok sir :enjoy:.I dont meant to criticise him.He unwantedly angered against me hen when I post a legitimate question.

I know. Never mind, just let it be, smile and concentrate on the subject.

It was a good question, btw, and I don't really know the answer. I'm looking around to see if I can find out, but I am travelling tomorrow for the next ten days.

I know. Never mind, just let it be, smile and concentrate on the subject.

It was a good question, btw, and I don't really know the answer. I'm looking around to see if I can find out, but I am travelling tomorrow for the next ten days.

But they show some cultural similarities with South Indians.Our nation is mixed like a curry.Look at the South India ,those who nearer to the coastal areas have fair colour .We are also a part of Tamils .But due to the foreigners regular visit to Western ports and trade we become slightly different than real Tamils,and we got a new language by mixing Tamil and Sanskrit.Similar cases also happen in coastal areas of Karnataka also.
Similar happened in entire India and also In Bengal.Due to this regular mixing I believe that we cant find out correct genetic lineage of our people.

@Joe Shearer @Charon 2 @Marwat Khan Lodhi

Khalaj is an old Turkic tribe that is described by Mahmud Kashgari:
Nomadism in Iran: From Antiquity to the Modern Era - D. T. Potts - Google Books

What Kashgari is saying is that there were 24 Oghuz tribes, two of them separated as Khalaj, 22 remained with Oghuz.
Mahmud al-Kashgari - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It is possible that Ghilzai name comes from Khalaj but I personally doubt it. Some part of them may have mixed with Ghilzai Pashtuns, but the admixture looks very small, if we look at current Pashtun genetic makeup.

I think there is some theory that they were Hepthalites or Indo-Iranian, but there is plenty of evidence against such theory. The first one is Khalaj Turkic language:
Khalaj language (Turkic) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"Khalaj has traditionally been classified with Azerbaijani dialects, primarily because of its proximity to them. However, it is not a dialect of Azerbaijani, as previously supposed. Further, features such as preservation of three vowel lengths, preservation of word-initial Proto-Turkic *h, and lack of the sound change *d → y has led to a non-Oghuz classification of Khalaj. An example of these archaisms is present in the word hadaq ("foot"), which has preserved the initial *h and medial *d. The equivalent form in nearby Oghuz dialects is ayaq. Therefore it is an independent language that became distinct very early from other extant Turkic languages.[3][4][dead link] Because of the preservation of these archaic features, some scholars have speculated that the Khalaj are the descendants of the Arghu Turks."

Khalaj people - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"The Khalaj people are a Turkic people that speak the Khalaj language, which is thought to be one of the closest languages to Old Turkic.

According to Mahmud al-Kashgari, they were mentioned at Divânu Lügati't-Türk:

"Twenty twos call them "Kal aç" in Turkish. This means "Stay hungry". Later, they were called "Xalac". Their origins are these."[1]

"Oguzs and Kipchaks translate "x" to k". They are a group of "Xalac"s. They say "xızım", whereas Turks say "kızım" (my daughter). And again other Turks say "kande erdinğ", whereas they say "xanda erdinğ", this means "where were you ?" [2]"

I will present more evidence later as time permits.

Last edited:
Very interesting.

I have been wondering for some time about the speculation that the Ghilzais are the modern-day Khaljis or Khiljis.

@Joe Shearer @Charon 2 @Marwat Khan Lodhi

Khalaj is an old Turkic tribe that is described by Mahmud Kashgari:
Nomadism in Iran: From Antiquity to the Modern Era - D. T. Potts - Google Books

What Kashgari is saying is that there were 24 Oghuz tribes, two of them separated as Khalaj, 22 remained with Oghuz.
Mahmud al-Kashgari - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It is possible that Ghilzai name comes from Khalaj but I personally doubt it. Some part of them may have mixed with Ghilzai Pashtuns, but the admixture looks very small, if we look at current Pashtun genetic makeup.

I think there is a lot of nationalistic effort to associate with the Khilji's (actually Khalaji's), by Ghilzai Pashtuns and there is some theory that they were Hepthalites or Indo-Iranian, but there is plenty of evidence against such theory. The first one is Khalaj Turkic language:
Khalaj language (Turkic) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"Khalaj has traditionally been classified with Azerbaijani dialects, primarily because of its proximity to them. However, it is not a dialect of Azerbaijani, as previously supposed. Further, features such as preservation of three vowel lengths, preservation of word-initial Proto-Turkic *h, and lack of the sound change *d → y has led to a non-Oghuz classification of Khalaj. An example of these archaisms is present in the word hadaq ("foot"), which has preserved the initial *h and medial *d. The equivalent form in nearby Oghuz dialects is ayaq. Therefore it is an independent language that became distinct very early from other extant Turkic languages.[3][4][dead link] Because of the preservation of these archaic features, some scholars have speculated that the Khalaj are the descendants of the Arghu Turks."

Khalaj people - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I will present more evidence later as time permits.
If you ask ghilzais, they consider themeselves proper pashtuns, not turks. According to their oral history, they used to live in ghor and other parts of central afghanistan before mongol invasion.
The khiljis who came to india, were already pashtunized. I would post an article soon, explaining links between ghiljays and khiljis.

Last edited:
I was not referring to the quote from wiki that you presented, but your own opinions and comments.

Language has very little to do with genetics. Here is a genetic admixture map of many different population:

14y4i0.png

To see bigger picture please click on the picture above or the link below:
http://i48.tinypic.com/14y4i0.png

You can see Yakuts have unmixed North East Asian genes (Yellow), whereas most East Asians are a mix between Yakut type North East Asian and Dai (Thai, orange) type South East Asian genes.

Turkey population are closest to people of North Caucasus - Adyghe, N. Ossetians, Chechens, Lezgins, Balkars and Kumiks, but not Nogais. Only difference is you have 15% Bedouin which is not present in North Caucasus people. You have around 5-10% East Asian genes with more North East Asian (Yakut, yellow) than South East Asian (Dai/Thai, orange). Russians actually have much more North East Asian genes than Turkey population.

Pathans/Pashtuns also have East Asian genes, but its mostly South East Asian (Dai, orange) and a little Yakut.

So it is a huge source of misconception for people of the world that the name of your country is Turkey and your people are called Turk, if you compare the genetic admixtures of "real" historic Central Asian Turks to today's Turkey population. The name Turk comes from GokTurk (I am sure you know, but I am presenting for other readers):
Göktürks - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
GokTurk genetic admixture back then would probably look more like todays Altaians, who are more than 60% Yakut (yellow) and around 20% Dai/Thai (Orange). So they are around 80% Asian and 10% Eastern Iranic (Green) and 10% Western European (Dark Blue).

Turkey name can be justified only due to the fact that your people speak a Turkic language, not because of genetic admixture of the population. A more appropriate name is Ottoman or Osmanli, which represents the true imperial heritage of Turkey.

Hope I have not offended you by saying any of this. But I am just expressing my frank opinion.

All these south asian samples are actually just from Pakistan. Study name was HGDP

Human Genome Diversity Project - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Pakistani pashtuns have very very small amount of east asian admixture, not more then anyother major group like Sindhis for exemple.

So what? I know that Anatolian Turks are genetically not the same as Central Asian Turks as they mixed with Greeks, Persians, Kurds, Caucasians and anyone in Anatolia when we migrated there. This diluted our Siberian DNA but Turkmens themselves are genetically West Asian and have only 2x more Mongoloid admixture than Turks. Pathans have minimal Siberian DNA. Where are there Turkic Khilji genes?

The " Russians" with that Siberian DNA are from Northern Russia where they are quite mixed with Mongoloid Siberians. Russians from Europe have only 4% Siberian DNA

Nobody knows how the Gökturks and Proto-Turks looked like. They could be predominantly Caucasoid, Mongoloid or a mix between these groups from the beginning. The people from Altai Mountains themselves were genetically more Caucasoid in the Bronze Age than today

Here is a more fresh Autosomal DNA study from 2013.

icon1.png
autosomal DNA from Lazaridis et al. 2013

Admixtures-Lazaridis.png

Pashtuns do not have much Siberian genes, because a small number of nomadic Khalaj mixed with a large number of local Pashtuns, making the genetic mark negligible.

GokTurks I am guessing would look somewhat similar to present day Tuvans.

If you ask ghilzais, they consider themeselves proper pashtuns, not turks. According to their oral history, they used to live in ghor and other parts of central afghanistan before mongol invasion.
The khiljis who came to india, were already pashtunized. I would post an article soon, explaining links between ghiljays and khiljis.

You are right. I edited my comment and deleted the Pashtun nationalist claim, as I think its not a correct statement. I think Pashtunization by 1200 was in process, but at those times I believe they were still nomadic sheep herders on horse-back, living in felt tents, like most other Turkic nomads. But their looks and language may have been partly Pashtunized, as they have mixed with local Pashtuns. Note that Khalaj was a large nomadic tribe that settled down in many different areas surrounding Central Asian steppes:
KHALAJ i. TRIBE ORIGINATING IN TURKISTAN – Encyclopaedia Iranica

KHALAJ i. TRIBE ORIGINATING IN TURKISTAN
tribe originating from Turkistan, generally referred to as Turks but possibly Indo-Iranian.

KHALAJ (Ḵalaj) tribal group.

i. TRIBE ORIGINATING IN TURKISTAN

The Khalaj are usually referred to as Turks, but Josef Marquart (pp. 251-54) claimed that they were remnants of the Hephthalite confederation, which would indicate that they were originally Indo-Iranian (I personally do not agree with this view). “Muslim authors agree that the Khalaj are one of the earliest tribes to have crossed the Oxus,” Vladimir Minorsky informs us (p. 430). According to the Ḥudūd al-ʿĀlam (p. 111), compiled in 982-83 CE, most of them settled down in the Ḡazna region, but they were also numerous in the Balḵ, Toḵārestān, Bost, and Guzgān regions. Many of the Khalaj of the Ḡazna region became assimilated to the local Pashto-speaking population. Indeed, it seems very likely that they formed the core of the Pashto-speaking Ḡalzay (seeḠILZI) tribe, the name Ḡalzay being derived from Khalaj (Bosworth, p. 917; Frye, p. 1001).

Groups of Khalaj moved into Persia and the Near East, starting with the great Saljuq migrations of the 11th century (Köprülü, p. 114). Although they were very numerous and spread widely, they never formed a monolithic tribal entity. As a result, they were rapidly absorbed by other tribes, and their name rarely appears in historical records. Often today names of villages are their only vestiges. In 1932,Köylerimiz listed as many as sixteen villages throughout what is present-day Turkey, which bore the names of Halaç, Halaçlar or Halaçlı. They were to be found in the following provinces ( vilayet s): Antalya, Afyon, Niğde, Kütahya, Bolu, Balıkesir, Aydın, Kastamonu, Çankırı, Zonguldak, Yozgat, Ankara, Tokat, Giresun, Kirşehir, and Ëstanbul. There is even a village by the name of Khalaj in the Crimea (Köprülü, p. 116), and Minorsky suggested that the town of Kalach on the river Don in Southern Russia might have got its name from that of the tribe (Minorsky, p. 434).

There were also Khalaj in Azerbaijan, but we have very little information about them. The German diplomat Adam Olearius, who visited the province in 1638, listed the Khalaj among the tribes of Moḡān (Olearius, II, p. 28). A tribe by that name dwelling in Azerbaijan was mentioned by J.-M. Jouannin at the beginning of the 19th century (Jouannin, II, p. 465). In 1864, Keith E. Abbott wrote of a Khalaj tribe that lived near Miāna and Jamālābād (Abbott, p. 233). Finally, Basile Nikitine asserted that a Khalaj tribe “which was attested to be in the west of the country ... was absorbed by the Afšārs during the 19th century” (Nikitine, p. 233). By 1951, the only Khalaj left in Azerbaijan formed a tira (clan) by that name near Āstārā (Razmārā, IV, p. 19), but there were ten villages, the names of which were derived from that of the tribe in the šahrestān s (sub-provinces) of Tabriz, Māku, Orumiā, Marāḡa, Bostānābād, Ahar, and Ḵiāv (Idem, pp. 75, 192-93, and 335).

A large group of the Khalaj settled down in the mountains to the southwest of Sāva, in the Markazi province, and many of them have retained their tribal identity to this day. In that area, there is even a region called Ḵalajestān. Ḥasan Fasāʾi believed that the Khalaj of central Persia had come from Anatolia (Fasāʾi, II, p. 312). In any case, we know that the Khalaj were already living there at the time of Timur (1336-1405), for in 1403 they were mentioned in a farmān sent by that ruler to his grandson Eskandar (1384-1415, see ESKANDAR SOLṬĀN; Ẓafar-nāma , II, p. 573). According to Masʿud Kayhān, in 1932-33 they numbered 17,500 individuals and occupied 77 villages (Kayhān, II, p. 396). According to Gerhard Doerfer, in the 1960s they numbered 17,000 individuals and occupied some 50 villages (Doerfer, 1968, p. 720). In his article “The Turkish Dialect of the Khalaj,” Vladimir Minorsky gives us two lists of Khalaj villages in central Persia (Minorsky, pp. 435-36). In a recent work, Iraj Afšār-Sistāni writes that “the people of this tribe live in the vicinity of Āštiān and Tafreš, and make a living from their flocks” (Afšār-Sistāni, p. 115). The Khalaj of central Persia speak a Turkic dialect which contains so many archaisms and other unique features that Doerfer argues it should be referred to as “the Khalaj group of languages” (Doerfer, 1978, p. 918).

A large group of Khalaj from central Persia made their way to Fārs province, but it is not known exactly when. There has been a close relationship between these Khalaj and the Qašqāʾi. Several authors, including Ḥasan Fasāʾi, maintain that the Qašqāʾis are but an offshoot of the Khalaj tribe (Fasāʾi, II, p. 312). However, it is more likely that the Khalaj who moved to Fārs were absorbed by the Qašqāʾi tribal confederation, for the Qašqāʾi speak an Oḡuz Turkic dialect which differs substantially from the language of the Khalaj of central Persia. According to Oliver Garrod, two of the major Qašqāʾi tribes (the Šeš-Boluki and Fārsimadan), as well as the powerful Raḥimi clan, claim to be of Khalaj descent, and, as he asserts, the Šeš-boluki derive their name from the six boluk s, or districts, of Ḵalajestān (Garrod, p. 294). Garrod also wrote that “many villages of the Dehbid plateau (north of Shiraz) are today inhabited by Khalaj Turks, who claim a distant relationship with the Qashqai tribe” (idem, pp. 295-96). Finally, there is a clan by the name of Khalaj in the Kordšoli tribe, which is a mixture of Qašqāʾi and Mamasani elements (Oberling, 1974, pp. 29-30).

There are also Khalaj in the provinces of Ḵuzestān and Kermān. In Ḵuzestān, they form a clan of the Gündüzlü tribe; in the Kermān province, they form a clan of the Afšār-ʿAmuʾi tribe (Oberling, 1960, pp. 87 and 110). Finally, the villages of Ḵalaj-Darra, Ḵalaj-e ʿOlyā, and Ḵalaj-e Soflā in Lorestān ( Index Mundi ) and three villages by the name of Khalaj in Khorasan (Razmārā, IX, p. 150) indicate that, at some time, there were Khalaj in those provinces as well. The Khalaj of Persia are Shiʿites.

Bibliography:

K. E. Abbott, Cities and Trade: Consul Abbott on the Economy and Society of Iran, 1847-66 , ed. A. Amanat, London, 1983.
Iraj Afšār-Sistāni, Ilhā, c¡ādornešinān wa ṭawāyef-e ʿašāyeri-e Irān , 2 vols., Tehran, 1987.
C. E. Bosworth, “ Kh ala dj : 1. History,” EI² IV, pp. 917-18.
G. Doerfer, “Das Chaladsch, eine neuentdeckte archaische Türksprache,” ZDMG , Suppl. 1, July 1968, pp. 719-25.
Idem, Khalaj Materials , Bloomington, Ind., 1971.
Idem, “ Kh ala dj : 2. Language,” EI² IV, p. 918.
Idem, Grammatik des Chaladsch , Wiesbaden, 1998.
Ḥājji Mirzā Ḥasan Fasāʾi, Fārs-nāma-ye Nāṣeri , 2 vols., lithograph, Tehran, 1895-96.
R. N. Frye, “ Gh alzay,” EI² II, p. 1001.
O. Garrod, “The Qashqai Tribe of Fars,” JRCAS 33 (1946), pp. 293-306.
Ḥudūd al-ʿĀlam , tr. V. Minorsky, London, 1970.
J.‑M. Jouannin, list of tribes in: A. Dupré, Voyage en Perse fait dans les années 1807, 1808 et 1809 , 2 vols., Paris, 1819.
Index Mundi , available online (accessed 1 July 2009).
Masʿud Kayhān, Joḡrāfiā-ye mofaṣṣal-e Irān , 2 vols., Tehran 1932-33.
M. F. Köprülü, “Halaç,” in İA , fasc. 40 (1948), pp. 109-16.
Köylerimiz , Istanbul, 1932.
J. Marquart, Erānšahr nach der Geographier des Ps. Moses Xorenaci , Berlin, 1901.
V. Minorsky, “The Turkish Dialect of the Khalaj,” BSOAS 10, 1939-42, pp. 417-36.
B. Nikitine, “Communication,” Mélanges asiatiques 232, no. 1 (1940-41), p. 233.
P. Oberling, The Turkic Peoples of Southern Iran , Cleveland, 1960.
Idem, The Qashqāʾi Nomads of Fārs , The Hague, 1974.
A. Olearius, Voyage en Moscovie, Tartarie et Perse , Paris, 1659.
Ḥosayn-ʿAli Razmārā, Farhang-e joḡrāfiāʾi-e Irān , vols. IV and IX, Tehran, 1951. Šaraf-al-Din ʿAli Yazdi, Ẓafar-nāma , ed. Maulawī Muhammad Ilahdād, 2 vols., Calcutta, 1885-88.

July 1, 2009
(Pierre Oberling)
Originally Published: December 15, 2010
Last Updated: April 19, 2012
This article is available in print.
Vol. XV, Fasc. 4, pp. 363-364

Last edited:
This would clear your concept about khiljis/ghilzais
Khiljis are Pashtuns

I doubt they were Nomadized Pashtuns, rather they are Pashtunized Turkic nomads.

cross posted:
Xelecistan-Az

The Khalaj West of the Oxus
V. Minorsky

Excerpts from "The Turkish Dialect of the Khalaj", Bulletin of the School of Oriental Studies, University of London, Vol 10, No 2, pp 417-437

Muslim authors agree that the Khalaj are one of the earliest tribes to have crossed the Oxus. In addition to I. Khurdadhbih whom we have quoted above, Istakhri (circa AD 930) [1] says: “The Khalaj are a class of Turks who in the days of the old (fi qadim al-ayyam) came to the country stretching between India and the districts of Sijistan, behind Ghur. They are cattle breeders of Turkish appearance (khilaq), dress, and language.” Mas’udi, Muruj (AD 943), iii, 254, speaks of the Turkish tribes “Ghuz and خرلج living towards Gharsh (= Gharchistan) and Bust in (the region) adjoining Sijistan”. Contrary to Marquart, Eranshahr, 251, I think that خرلج must be read here *Kharlukh, and on the other hand, under Ghuz the author may mean the Khalaj, for, as we now know from Kashghari, the Khalaj were considered as the two “lost tribes” of the Ghuzz. [2]

mahmud_ghazni2.jpg
If Istakhri and Mas’udi (?) place the Khalaj on the middle course of the Helmand, the compilator of the Hudud al-Alam (AD 982), f. 22b quotes the Khalaj in the region of Ghaznin and the adjoining districts. He speaks of their wealth in sheep and describes their habit of wandering along pasture-lands. He adds that the same tribe is numerous in “Balkh, Tukharistan, Bust and Guzganan”. In fact the name is misspelt in the MS. as خلخ and it is very possible that the author has mixed together the Khallukh خلخ and Khalaj خلج. In Tukharistan and (?) Balkh he most probably has in view the former tribe, and in Ghaznin, Bust, and Guzganan the latter.

The Saffarids were the first Muslim dynasty to penetrate into Central Afghanistan. According to Ibn al-Athir, vii, 171, [3] Ya’qub conquered (AD. 868) “the Khalaj, Zabul and other (lands) but I do not know the year in which it happened….”

The Ghaznavids, from the outset of their activity, had to deal with the Khalaj. Nizam al-mulk [4] reports an episode of Sabuktagin’s early career when he was sent by his master Alaptagin (d. 352/963) to collect taxes from “the Khalaj and Turkmans”, which he tried to do by peaceful means. In 385/995 Sabuktagin being in Herat, sent summons to the rulers of Sistan and Guzganan as well as to the *Khalaj Turks. [5]

Utbi, in his history (written circa 411/1020) refers to the Khalaj several times: i, 55, he announces his intention to narrate Mahmud’s victories “in India, as well as among the Turks and Khalaj”; i, 88, (Persian translation, 43, very free), he reports that after Mahmud’s expedition against India, “the Afghans and Khalaj submitted to him”; ii, 78 (Pers. Transl, 294): when Ilak Khan took up a menacing attitude Mahmud arrived in Ghazna and summoned “the Khalaj Turks, ever on their horses, [6] manly son of swords…” Equally, during the inroad of Qadir Khan to Tukharistan. Mahmud rushed to Balkh “with his Turkish, Indian, Khalaj, Afghan, and Ghazna troops…”

The fact that the Khalaj were associated in Mahmud’s victories may account for their subsequent ambitions, Already under the weak Sultan Mas’ud, they became restive. On 19 Muharram 432/1040, Mas’ud had to send an expedition from Ghazni in order to obtain the submission or punishment of the Khalaj who, during his absence, had committed some transgressions (fisad), Abul Fazal Bayhaqi, ed. Morley, 826, 830 [where خلج is mis-spelt as بلخ]

Najib Bakrans geography Jahan-nama, written (circa AD, 1200-1220) on the eve of the Mongol invasion, contains a particularly interesting paragraph on the changes which the originally Turkish tribe was undergoing: “The Khalaj are a tribe of Turks who from the Khallukh limits migrated to Zabulistan. Among the districts of Ghazni there is a steppe where they reside. Then, on account of the heat of the air, their complexion has changed and tended towards blackness; the tongue (zuban) too has undergone alterations and become a different language (lughat).”

In the earliest mention of Juvaynis Jahan-Gusha, i, 132, “the Khalaj of Ghazni” are curiously associated with “Afghans”; a levy (hashar) of these two tribes mobilized by the Mongols took part in the punitive expedition to the region of Merv, ii 194-8: after the disruption of the kingdom of Sultan Muhammad Khwarazim Shah, a “numberless” mass of “Khalaj and Turkmans from Khorasan and Transoxiana” gathered at Purshavur (Peshawar) under the leadership of Saif al-Din Ighraq (var. *Yighraq) [7] – Malik, who according to a gloss was himself a Khalaj. This army defeated the petty king of Ghazna, Radhi al-Mulk, but when Jalaladin Khwarazim Shah arrived in Ghazna, Ighraq came to greet him. After Jalaladin defeated the Mongols at Parvan, the Khalaj, Turkmans, and Ghauris of his army quarrelled with the Khwarazimians over the booty and finally retreated towards the south. Ighraq returned to Peshawar while his rival Nuh-Jandar stayed at *Ningrahar, but Ighraq retraced his steps and killed him. Finally, Mongol detachments reached the spot and destroyed the whole of the 20,000 - 30,000 Khalaj, Turkmans, and Ghauris who had abandoned Jalaladin. [8]

This historical sketch very clearly shows the gradual expansion of the southern branch of the Khalaj from the lower course of the Helmand to the environs of Ghazna and later to the neighborhood of Peshawar; on the other hand, it indicates how the Khalaj were utilized by the lords of the time and how gradually they found their way to power.

India was ever a most welcome field for energetic adventurers, and as early as AD. 1197 Muhammad Bakhtiyar Khalji [9], acting on behalf of the Ghurid Muiz al-Din Muhammad occupied Bihar and AD. 1202, at the head of a small troop of horse, conquered Lakhnauti in Bengal of which he became the governor.

In 689/1290 Jalal al-din Firuz Khalji succeeded the Mamluk kings on the throne of Delhi and his short-lived dynasty lasted till 1320. [10]

Another Khalji dynasty, descended from a brother of Firuz, ruled in Central India (Malwa) AD. 1436-1531. Equally the Lodhi kings of Delhi (AD. 1451-1526) belonged to a Khalji family which was established in Multan already towards AD 1005.

The Khalji in India were considered as Afghans and perhaps in the fifteenth century possessed no knowledge of Turkish but we must remember what Najib Bakran says on the changes undergone by the Khalaj of Afghanistan. In Afghanistan and India the descendants of the Khalaj are called Ghal-zae, i.e. “sons of the thief”. [11] This later popular etymology and the legend built up round it are certainly artificial. The fact is that the important Ghilzai tribe occupies now the region round Ghazni, [12] where the Khalaj used to live and that historical data all point, to the transformation of the Turkish Khalaj into Afghan Ghilzai. Even the phonetic evolution of the name has nothing astonishing. The ancient Turkish form was Qalaj (or Qalach), and it is well known that Turkish q was heard by the Arabs now as kh and now as gh. [13] Qalaj could have a parallel form *Ghalaj of which it was easv to bring the end in conformity with the usual Afghan terminology of zae, zai (= Persian –zada).

Notes:
[1] In the account of the province of Davar on the Hilmand.
[2] After all Mas’udis vague passage may even not refer to the Khalaj but only to the Kharlukh and the Turkmans (often quoted alongside with the Khalaj).
[3] Probably based on the history of Ibn al-Azhar al-Akhbari, see Barthold, Zur Geschichte der Saffariden, in Oriental Studien Th. Noldek, 1906, pp 173, 186.
[4] Siasat Nama (485/1092), ch. xxvii, p. 96
[5] Gardizi, 56. The text has Turkan-e Sulh but the editor has already suggested the reading *Khallukh. I admit the necessity of the emendation, but, in view of the circumstances, I prefer *Khalaj.
[6] Ahlas al-Zuhr
[7] The alternance of initial i- and yi is frequent; cf. Inal/Yinal
[8] But certainly not at all the Khalaj.
[9] i.e. Khalaji. In Indian pronunciation the middle short vowel of a tri-syllabic word regularly omitted (shafaqat > shafqat), shafaqal > while a mono-syllabic word ending in two consonants becomes bi-sylabic (fahm > faham).
[10] His father had the Turkish title Yughrush, see M. F. Koprulu, Zur Kentniss der altturkischen Titulatur, in Korosi Csoma Archivum, 1938, Erganzungsband, p. 339, who quotes Tarikh-e Farishta, I, 152, 155.
[11] Or with a further reduction of the vowel: Ghilzae, in Persian Ghiljai
[12 See Longworth Dames, Afghanistan and Ghilzai in EI. The author seems not to have realized the weight of the earlier historical evidence and disbelieved the possibility of the transformation Khalaj > Ghilzai, fully admitted by other collaborators of the EI. (Barthold, Sir W. Haig); cf. laso Marquart, op. cit., 253. In fact there is absolutely nothing astonishing in a tribe of nomad habits changing its language. This happened with the Mongols settled among Turks and probably with some Turks living among Kurds. [Sir W. Haig in the Cambridge History of India, III, 90, gives a pertinent reply to Raverty: “If the Ghilzay be not Khaljis it is difficult to say what has become of the latter.”]
[13] Cf. Tabari, iii, 1416: Ghamish < Turkish Qamish “a reed”.

POSTED BY MEHRAN BAHARLI AT 10:26 AM

Back
Top Bottom