What's new

RIP to Kaveri

Damn, too bad, they shold spend money to get some materials and basic underling tech and research going. imho we should privatise or have our PSUs operate with the govt as majority shareholder and with almost 0 interference of day to day functions.

---------- Post added at 09:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:55 PM ----------

lol @CardSharp,
we can read most of it any way, can we have another pic spark? w/o the flash plz lol :P

The engine is still likely to be certified by the center of military airworthiness and certification by the end of 2012. This certification will be for the technology that the DRDO can demonstrate. Once this is done , one engine will be integrated with an LCA Mk-1 by early 2013 for limited flight trials.

But the hunt for Mk-2 with indigenous kaveri ends here.
but actually there was never a hunt for indegenouis kaveri for mark 2 as India’s Aeronautical Development Agency selected the F414-GE-INS6 engine to power the Mk II version of the HAL Tejas Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) for the Indian Air Force. The F414-GE-INS6 is the highest thrust F414 variant, and it includes a Full Authority Digital Electronic Control (FADEC) system. It will feature a six stage turbofan. The engine is to be delivered by 2013.
India picks GE's F414 for Tejas MkII fighter
Tejas - History - Genesis

Kaveri engine lacks the thrust required for an LCA--(can't see)--perform its full flight envelope

2000 crore rupee spent on 20 years of R and D

development effort required was underestimated at the time of sanction

no database available for esimating realistic time and cost

DRDO says Kaveri is a major achievement in terms of technology demonstration

it's not a Failure , it's a stallmate that Kaveri can not generate more then 81kn of thrust ...as it will be used in LCA-mk1 only when they came to replace their existing F404 GE engines..

and 2000crores are just nothing , even you buy 40 F404 engine to replace those fitted on LCA-mk1 ,
at the price of $6 milliuon / F404 , it will cost 1200crores..

Kaveri engine lacks the thrust required for an LCA--(can't see)--perform its full flight envelope

2000 crore rupee spent on 20 years of R and D

development effort required was underestimated at the time of sanction

no database available for esimating realistic time and cost

DRDO says Kaveri is a major achievement in terms of technology demonstration
absolute B.S,kaveri engine has undergone succeful test in russia u can check it in page 2 of this thread ,ya it is marred by delays as usual of every indian indigenious product ,but calling it technology demonstration is absolute rubbish :bad:

absolute B.S,kaveri engine has undergone succeful test in russia u can check it in page 2 of this thread ,ya it is marred by delays as usual of every indian indigenious product ,but calling it technology demonstration is absolute rubbish :bad:

I types it like I sees it. :(

Weren't you better off buying engines from Russia ? It was a significant loss of tax payers money ... You could have purchased a couple of Aircrafts in that money ... And now DRDO thinks that it was only a TD ? Which Indian UCAV is in development which DRDO thinks can use this engine ?

If the timeframe is small then yeh to buy off the shelf is a better option; here a nation is looking at a longer timeframe. India lack the prowess to build good engines. Helicopter engine is sourced from Snecma. Most of the car engines are also imported.

This is a strategic initiative to gain technology expertise as despite the failure I believe the work will continue. India wants to gaint he core technolgy expertise for future projects.

I for one am not baffled by the news.
http://ajaishukla.blogspot.com/2010/11/kaveri-engine-test-in-context.html
I was a bit baffled to see the euphoria amongst visitors to Broadsword over the Kaveri engine flight test announced yesterday by the DRDO. I don’t mean to dampen your Diwali spirits, but if everyone is drawing entirely the wrong lesson from this, I feel I should set the record straight.

The bottom line, as I reported in my Sept 2009 article ("Kaveri jet engine finally poised for first flight") is: this test is the burial ceremony of the indigenous Kaveri development programme. They will measure the parameters etc of the flight tests and then, having quantified what the Kaveri programme has achieved, the file will be closed. Once the flight tests are over, the Kaveri-Snecma programme will begin, in which Snecma will bring to the table a fully developed engine core.

If anyone can be bothered to read the article that I posted in 2009, Mr Mohana Rao, the Director of GTRE told me that the indigenous Kaveri, which had a maximum thrust of 65 KN at full reheat, would never be able to power the LCA for two reasons: firstly, the LCA had turned out heavier than expected; secondly, in the words of Mr Rao, “The Kaveri turned out 15% heavier than we planned. From the planned 1100 kg, its final weight has gone up to 1265 kg.”

“We need more thrust without increasing the size of the engine”, Mr Mohana Rao told me in Sept 2009. “That means getting better technologies from a more experienced foreign partner. We have chosen (French aero-engine major) Snecma. The Defence Ministry has approved the tie-up.”

That notwithstanding, this is only the end of a chapter, not of the book. GTRE has managed to develop, almost entirely indigenously, an engine that can develop 65 KN of power, at a cost of Rs 3000 crores. Now, Snecma is going to show them what they need to do to take that up to the 90-100 KN level.

We wish GTRE all the best.

But i have to say all is not lost....
Kaveri and its spinoffs will be see in many different applications ranging from aircrafts to ships and everything in between.
Our detractors can say whatever they want but in the end an aircraft engine is one of the most challenging engineering endeavor.

okie rest of the article... yup u saw it first here..:drag:

20hq2o1.jpg
[/IMG]
330tj7a.jpg

Sorry dont have much time to upload more clearer ones..

Its completely unbelievable that this program has been abandoned..!!!

I Can sense multiple offshots of this program cancellation..Lets wait for more details.

Back
Top Bottom