What's new

RIP to Kaveri

because the production equipment was not as sophisticated as the former.

Very tricky metallurgy. It's what held up Chinese engine programs until very recently (getting enough fanblades out and of high quality) The fan blade as I had it explain to me is machined out of a single crystal of metal, any defect and the blade disintegrate in mid-use.

Can't find news of the project, is it cancelled or is it still an active project for the LCA?

Can't find news of the project, is it cancelled or is it still an active project for the LCA?

Quite a while back now the Kaveri and LCA were de-linked so that the Kaveri didn't inadvertently slow down the development of the LCA. this is why we have seen the selection of a upgraded GE engine for LCA MK.2 as well. If Kaveri eventually delivers then it shall be put into all LCA marks in their respective MLUs.

^^ as stated, because of the de-linking of Kaveri and LCA, GTRE are now exploring other uses for the Kaveri including for ships (already successfully demonstrated) and trains.

Quite a while back now the Kaveri and LCA were de-linked so that the Kaveri didn't inadvertently slow down the development of the LCA. this is why we have seen the selection of a upgraded GE engine for LCA MK.2 as well. If Kaveri eventually delivers then it shall be put into all LCA marks in their respective MLUs.

^^ as stated, because of the de-linking of Kaveri and LCA, GTRE are now exploring other uses for the Kaveri including for ships (already successfully demonstrated) and trains.

I like your comments a lot. What would you say, when LCA go tits up? Considering it cannot pull the force nor can have required manoeuvrability?

DRDO, is a grave yard of technology not a birth place of it. Only Indians can tolerate such repeated
failures and call the product as a good technology demonstrator. :cheesy:

I like your comments a lot. What would you say, when LCA go tits up? Considering it cannot pull the force nor can have required manoeuvrability?

DRDO, is a grave yard of technology not a birth place of it. Only Indians can tolerate such repeated

Our overall approach seems to be doing pretty well for us lately.. Not something I can say about Pakistan now.. Can I ? :cheesy:

Wow, your post has almost NOTHING to do with my preivous comment, how did you get there? why did you go there?

And regarding LCA, I'm not going to lay down why the LCA is going to eventually be one of the finest flying machines in the sky, I will let allow time to provide you with this gift.

Dream of fitting indigenous Kaveri engine into LCA-Tejas over

Friday, January 25, 2013,

Bangalore: The dream of fitting Kaveri engine being developed indigenously into the home-grown Light Combat Aircraft LCA-Tejas appears to be as good as over.

"Kaveri engine as such will never come into LCA", P S Subramanyam, Director of Aeronautical Development Agency (ADA), a DRDO lab, which is the nodal agency for the design and development of LCA with HAL as the principal partner, told PTI here.

Noting that LCA-Mark 1 and Mark 2 will have engines from GE, he, however, said the LCA would support Kaveri engine's flight tests and demonstrations and certification.

"As and when there is support required by the Kaveri engine, LCA will give support of its flying test facilities", Subramanyam said.

He expected flying tests of Kaveri engine to lead to its fitting into unmanned air systems.

Subramanyam said Kaveri engine-fitted LCA would not go into the Services. "In the production aircraft (LCA) going into the Services, Kaveri engine will not be there".

Kaveri engine, originally intended to power the LCA, was taken up for development by Bangalore-based Gas Turbine Research Establishment (GTRE) about two-and-half-decades ago but the project has been dogged by delays, with the DRDO lab not being fully able to overcome technical challenges and development snags.

Scientific Advisor to Defence Minister and DRDO Director General V K Saraswat said unmanned air systems would see the integration of Kaveri engine for different applications.

Kaveri engine will be demonstrated on board an Indian origin aircraft, added Saraswat, also Secretary in the Department of Defence (R&D).

Meanwhile, Subramanyam said the first LCA produced by HAL would be ready in the third quarter of this year.

PTI

rip_tiny.gif

Friday, January 25, 2013,

Bangalore: The dream of fitting Kaveri engine being developed indigenously into the home-grown Light Combat Aircraft LCA-Tejas appears to be as good as over.

"Kaveri engine as such will never come into LCA", P S Subramanyam, Director of Aeronautical Development Agency (ADA), a DRDO lab, which is the nodal agency for the design and development of LCA with HAL as the principal partner, told PTI here.

Noting that LCA-Mark 1 and Mark 2 will have engines from GE, he, however, said the LCA would support Kaveri engine's flight tests and demonstrations and certification.

"As and when there is support required by the Kaveri engine, LCA will give support of its flying test facilities", Subramanyam said.

He expected flying tests of Kaveri engine to lead to its fitting into unmanned air systems.

Subramanyam said Kaveri engine-fitted LCA would not go into the Services. "In the production aircraft (LCA) going into the Services, Kaveri engine will not be there".

Kaveri engine, originally intended to power the LCA, was taken up for development by Bangalore-based Gas Turbine Research Establishment (GTRE) about two-and-half-decades ago but the project has been dogged by delays, with the DRDO lab not being fully able to overcome technical challenges and development snags.

Scientific Advisor to Defence Minister and DRDO Director General V K Saraswat said unmanned air systems would see the integration of Kaveri engine for different applications.

Kaveri engine will be demonstrated on board an Indian origin aircraft, added Saraswat, also Secretary in the Department of Defence (R&D).

Meanwhile, Subramanyam said the first LCA produced by HAL would be ready in the third quarter of this year.

PTI

rip_tiny.gif

They got it wrong. Kaveri will be used on Tejas for tests that was all along the plan after its decoupling from the project. It wont be fit into production version.

And many here believe our super duper private sector can do magic.

Well tata and mahindra ran to AVL for their diesel engines.even today Most of tata trucs have Cumin's and mahindras have navistar engines.

Its not child's play

Designing an engine is not too complex, but producing it is.

That's why only very few companies were successful...

Back
Top Bottom