What's new

Right to broadband: New policy to be ready in 100 days

TejasMk3

Reaction score
Country
India
India to make broadband access a fundamental right - report - Telecompaper

The Department of Telecom is expected to finalise a National Broadband Policy within 100 days that would treat high-speed Internet access a basic right like education and health.

"A new broadband policy is being prepared and will be finalised within 100 days," an official source said.
Under the new policy the government has plans to include broadband among basic necessities like education and health and work towards new legislation of 'Right to Broadband', sources said.

They said it is expected to look at ways of increasing broadband penetration as well as convergence of various technologies and platforms like cable TV, optical fibre, wireless connection through spectrum, VSAT and satellite .

At present there are different departments that govern various technologies. For instance, Cable TV comes under the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting and Satellite related issues are majorly governed by the Department of Space.

The policy is proposed to look at provisions for providing affordable broadband equipments and devices for end consumer use.

The National Telecom Policy 2012 has set a target of 175 million broadband connections by 2017, and 600 million 2020 at minimum 2 Mbps download speed and making available higher speeds of at least 100 Mbps on demand.

There were about 61 million broadband subscribers at the end of March, 2014. Of these, 14.86 million subscribed broadband through fixed line and 46 million used wireless connection like dongles, mobile phone and other devices.

make it cheap.... thats all...
but that doesn't seems so...:angry:

Broadband? :woot: I'm getting just 2Mbps and it sucks! Man, I'm still in the stone age! Thanks to BSNL! :pissed:
Currently broadband in India is classified as anything above 512kbps, if you have 2mbps, you are around middle class in terms of broadband :D
I have the same 2mbps :(, I stick with it because of the good ping to places like s'pore.(gaming reasons)., bsnl went from a profit making company that had some of the best plans to downright one of the worst. Even their customer care was good in those days!

The cool part about putting broadband down as a right the construction and spread of fibre optic cables, and also spread of other pre requisites like electricity and so on!

I do hope the govt is also looking at spying done by the u.s and and other countries. We really need separate platforms away from the u.s or atleast find a way to make companies providing services to India to keep the servers here (ex. like social networks). That is the nice part about China, their internet is very much homegrown and it is easier to clamp down trouble makers, and lessen spying. We've already seen the havoc caused by fake pictures uploaded onto social networks. :(

Seriously? Wtf, I'm in the mountainous badlands and I get full fledge 4mbps, with perfect latency, with the option to upgrade to 16 mbps............. :D

How close do you live to the telephone exchange?

Not very close actually......... not even sure where is the exchange........ the only thing I know is that the exchange recently got upgraded.............. and dad pulled some serious strings to get me some fiber channel............

How close do you live to the telephone exchange?

Currently broadband in India is classified as anything above 512kbps, if you have 2mbps, you are around middle class in terms of broadband :D
I have the same 2mbps :(, I stick with it because of the good ping to places like s'pore.(gaming reasons)., bsnl went from a profit making company that had some of the best plans to downright one of the worst. Even their customer care was good in those days!

The cool part about putting broadband down as a right the construction and spread of fibre optic cables, and also spread of other pre requisites like electricity and so on!

I do hope the govt is also looking at spying done by the u.s and and other countries. We really need separate platforms away from the u.s or atleast find a way to make companies providing services to India to keep the servers here (ex. like social networks). That is the nice part about China, their internet is very much homegrown and it is easier to clamp down trouble makers, and lessen spying. We've already seen the havoc caused by fake pictures uploaded onto social networks. :(
singapore ping?
DOta 2? :woot:

Not very close actually......... not even sure where is the exchange........ the only thing I know is that the exchange recently got upgraded.............. and dad pulled some serious strings to get me some fiber channel............

Oh you've got fibre/cable.

In that case your speeds are less than what they should be :P

singapore ping?
DOta 2? :woot:
50-90 :D Mid TA/Pudge/Puck player here :D

Recently though my graphics card has nearly quit, and made me lose 400 mmr (power cuts helped a bit too) :(, so I've havent played in a bit.

Seriously? Wtf, I'm in the mountainous badlands and I get full fledge 4mbps, with perfect latency, with the option to upgrade to 16 mbps............. :D
Nice, What is your fup, and speed post fup?

Well okay there are a few more reasons, there are private companies that offer good plans, but they sort of divide cities up into turfs, so one company doesnt intrude in the others, they simply say "saar we havent laid cables yet" and will offer you wireless broadband (wireless=bad latency) Sad part is I'm located on no mans land, so only govt broadband!

Here is an example of plans from private players. Broadband Plans- Broadband Tariffs- Internet Connection Provider in India: airtel
I dont get some of the plans...why give 16mpbs speed, and have a 30gb fup! :lol:

50-90 :D Mid TA/Pudge/Puck player here :D

Recently though my graphics card has nearly quit, and made me lose 400 mmr (power cuts helped a bit too) :(, so I've havent played in a bit.

Nice, What is your fup, and speed post fup?

Well okay there are a few more reasons, there are private companies that offer good plans, but they sort of divide cities up into turfs, so one company doesnt intrude in the others, they simply say "saar we havent laid cables yet" and will offer you wireless broadband (wireless=bad latency) Sad part is I'm located on no mans land, so only govt broadband!

Here is an example of plans from private players. Broadband Plans- Broadband Tariffs- Internet Connection Provider in India: airtel
I dont get some of the plans...why give 16mpbs speed, and have a 30gb fup! :lol:
wow I love TA, i suck at pudge though.. i play spectre, am, ta and soul keeper i loved slark b4 update :(

Broadband? :woot: I'm getting just 2Mbps and it sucks! Man, I'm still in the stone age! Thanks to BSNL! :pissed:
In england im with virgin broadband i get between 40 to 50 mbps when i go back to punjab the speed seems so slow.

Back
Top Bottom