What's new

Report: US drones deployed in Turkey

RedBeard

Reaction score
11 November 2011, Friday / TODAYSZAMAN.COM,

predator-drones.jpg

This undated handout image provided by the US Air Force shows a MQ-1 Predator unmanned aircraft. (Photo: Reuters)

The United States has deployed four Predator drones at an air base in southern Turkey, a news report said on Friday.

The report, published in the Taraf daily, said a total of four drones arrived at İncirlik Air Base on Oct. 16 and Oct. 23, several days before Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan discussed a Turkish request to purchase drones to be used in the fight against the terrorist Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) with US President Barack Obama on the sidelines of a G-20 summit in Paris.

But the deployment of the US drones on Turkish territory is separate from the Turkish request to purchase drones from the US. In September, the Washington Post reported that Turkey sought the deployment of a fleet of US drones on its territory as a measure to be used against the PKK following US withdrawal from Iraq. Later in September, Erdoğan said the US has agreed in principle to the Turkish request to deploy its drones on Turkish soil.

In addition to hosting US drones in its soil, Turkey also seeks to buy its own armed drones from the United States, seeking to purchase MQ-9 Reapers, a larger and more modern version of the Predator. The request, however, has been controversial, with some in Congress refusing to sell the aircraft to Turkey given Ankara's deteriorating relations with Israel, a close US ally. The US administration, on the other hand, is reportedly willing to sell Reapers to Turkey and is trying to persuade the Congress not to block the sale.

Taraf said the drones, now based in İncirlik, will be used to monitor the PKK's movements, but they will not provide real-time data from their surveillance flights for Turkish authorities. Data from the drones' flights will be sent to the United States before reaching Turkish officials. No Turkish personnel will be involved in the command of the flights of the drones and no guarantee has been offered to Turkish hosts that the drones will not be used against third countries, Taraf said, citing anonymous military sources.

The lack of Turkish control over flights of US drones, according to the report, means they could change their route and spy on Turkish targets, such as critical military buildings, instead of the PKK targets, without Turkish authorities even noticing.

Turkey's requests to host US drones and buy its own drones from the US has surfaced as Washington prepares to withdraw its forces from Iraq by end of 2011. US drones based in Iraq as part of the Iraqi operation have been providing Turkish officials with data regarding the PKK's movements since 2007, as part of Turkish-US cooperation against the terrorist group.

The US administration has also agreed to sell attack helicopters to Turkey. The administration formally notified the Congress on Oct. 28 of a proposal to sell Turkey three attack helicopters, which will reportedly replace those Turkey lost in the fight against the PKK.

Under the $111-million deal, the US will take three AH-1W "SuperCobra" attack helicopters from the US Marine Corps inventory and sell them to Turkey. The sale would boost Turkey's self-defense as well as regional security and its ability to operate with US forces and other NATO members, a Pentagon notice to lawmakers said.

Report: US drones deployed in Turkey

What happen to Turkish Indigenous UAV, maybe not fully funtional yet? Who will control this Predator?

The lack of Turkish control over flights of US drones, according to the report, means they could change their route and spy on Turkish targets, such as critical military buildings, instead of the PKK targets, without Turkish authorities even noticing.

Not good news, i found this, it means, US control Predators remote and joysticks similar to Pakistan.

Taraf said the drones, now based in İncirlik, will be used to monitor the PKK's movements, but they will not provide real-time data from their surveillance flights for Turkish authorities. Data from the drones' flights will be sent to the United States before reaching Turkish officials. No Turkish personnel will be involved in the command of the flights of the drones and no guarantee has been offered to Turkish hosts that the drones will not be used against third countries,

Same to Pakistan, we request real-time data and control, but US refused. It is now apply on NATO friend Turkey.

Yes, Pakistan received AH-1S/F SuperCobras while Turkey's AH-1W.

Interesting, US did the same to both Pakistan and Turkey.

The ANKA is not armed, we need those armed Predators. MQ-9 would be great. Also C130 U SPOOKY's would be very effective.

The ANKA is not armed, we need those armed Predators. MQ-9 would be great. Also C130 U SPOOKY's would be very effective.

Not good ideas, trust me. You will be defenceless against Predators who can turn good eye to evil spy without Turkish knowledges.

It should be very wise for Turkey to complete their own UAV projects and own helicopter T-129s.

Turkey's Mynet news website reported on Tuesday that it has taken a year to build the radar base, which is totally under US control, according to the Press TV correspondent in Ankara.

The radar base is located on a hill in the Gurvil district of Sirnak, and its control center is supposedly based at the Incirlik Air Base in southern Turkey.

The radar base could be used to control US assassination drones and monitor the airspace of northern Iraq.

The X-band radar, which looks like a huge ball, can be seen sitting on top of the hill from a great distance.

The radar has an average range of 2,000 kilometers.

Last week, a high-ranking delegation from the US Defense Department visited Ankara and urged Turkish officials to allow Washington to use the Incirlik Air Base for intelligence purposes.

This is wrong again, Turkey is special NATO member of US, why can't Turkey allow to control the system (X-Band radar, intelligences, Predators, etc)

bro "Taraf said, citing anonymous military sources" says enough

and no need to even comment on "press tv" as well

they are not non profit organizations, appealing to anti american sentiments or conspiracy theories are the easiest ways of making money and finding readers! and in the case of press tv its just irans propaganda toy!

I dont think our central command, army chiefs of staff and the government are fool! and Turkiye is free to follow her own interests!

Facts

anka will be in sevice next year
herons are back
predators are coming

raptor, it's nice to see that you are worried. but i dont think they will use it to spy on us... i mean, spy on us and do what? and they wont fire at our country with drones. mainly because we dont have terrorists in our are (i hope you dont take it personal)!

bro "Taraf said, citing anonymous military sources" says enough

and no need to even comment on "press tv" as well

they are not non profit organizations, appealing to anti american sentiments or conspiracy theories are the easiest ways of making money and finding readers! and in the case of press tv its just irans propaganda toy!

I dont think our central command, army chiefs of staff and the government are fool! and Turkiye is free to follow her own interests!

Facts

anka will be in sevice next year
herons are back
predators are coming

I agree with you your country's own interests, up to you. Sorry, I didn't realize Press TV from Iran but I ignore it to focus on some points.

raptor, it's nice to see that you are worried. but i dont think they will use it to spy on us... i mean, spy on us and do what? and they wont fire at our country with drones. mainly because we dont have terrorists in our are (i hope you dont take it personal)!

Okay, i understand, brother. Still US can't be trusted at all, you will see how trick US play double games.

Recently I had very interested conversation with Turkish colleague (mother of two children from Turkey who moved here last year). :)

Try use your imagination a bit, if we don't have any influence on the drones, and let's say they gather intelligence about our borders or Iran, Syria etc., and let's again assume that the information has to be delivered to US before it's being returned, then AGAIN imagine some Armenian/Israelie/whoever passes on this information to example, Assad, PKK, PJAK, and so on.

If you follow me, then it doesn't bode well. Drones placed in Turkey and their use not restricted with contract etc. or doesn't have any turkish intelligence present could pretty damn much mean that realtime information being passed on to the terrorist groups, or Israel etc.

Just remember that there are already talks about bombing Irans nuclear project!

Hypocrisy, Turkey is allowing NATO radar systems on its soil and providing many other facilities to US military too so putting concerns over US eye over military installations only by drones is total baseless. Many turkey's military programs are shared with US or NATO so i don't think Turkish government bring these concerns in taken decision.

brother "Hypocrisy" is not the concept used by me it was you!
all i am saying is Turkey is free to follow her interest!

and please let us make a distinction between our true friends & allies like Pakistan and the countries like syria and iran

Back
Top Bottom