Rehman Malik apologises to Afridi

Spring Onion

PDF VETERAN
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Pak minister says sorry to Afridi
29 Mar 2011, 1821 hrs IST, AGENCIES

Mohali Pakistan's interior minister has apologised to the country's cricket team after saying he was keeping a "close watch" on them ahead of Wednesday's World Cup semifinal against India.

Rehman Malik was quoted Monday as saying he had warned the team "there should be no match fixing" and that the players were being closely monitored.

Team captain Shahid Afridi confirmed to The Associated Press on Tuesday that Malik had telephoned him to apologise for his comments, which came just two days before the semifinal. Afridi said he did not want to comment further on the matter.

Malik said Monday he was "sure the team has very clean members" but that he couldn't take any risks after the spot-fixing scandal last year which led to long-term bans for Pakistan players Salman Butt, Mohammad Asif and Mohammad Amir. The three players were found guilty of accepting bribes in return for making sure no-balls were bowled at certain times during a test match in England last August.

Malik's remarks - and in particular the timing of them - were widely criticized in the Pakistan media and by other politicians, notably Imran Khan, who led Pakistan to the World Cup title in 1992. A series of messages were later posted on Malik's Twitter account to explain his remarks.

One said that "a section of press has twisted my statement out of context, and wrongly projected my words." Another said: "My only intention was and is that Pak cricket team play and performs their best. The support and prayers of the whole nation are with them.

Pak minister says sorry to Afridi- TIMESNOW.tv - Latest Breaking News, Big News Stories, News Videos

If Pakistan wins then its okay, otherwise he will say i had never apologised.

Seriously you guys need to get rid of this clown. Also TOIlet media report.

If Pakistan wins then its okay, otherwise he will say i had never apologised.

It doesnt matter . we lose or win its just a game. our team had done a good job defeating and thus ending Australian supremacy in cricket .

our victory against Australia also helped India to defeat them.

It doesnt matter . we lose or win its just a game. our team had done a good job defeating and thus ending Australian supremacy in cricket .

our victory against Australia also helped India to defeat them.

Are you sure, your team ended their supremacy?? LoL
They were struggling for a year and half now.

Okay pakistan is good team...But go back in history to give the credit to RIGHT team, who started it all.

India is exercising his resources to pressurize Pakistan team.
There is no doubt Rehamn Malik is one of the most effective indian asset in Pakistan.

Below Imran's comment about this agent are way too polite.

Rehman Malik is a problem not Pakistan cricketers: Imran

KARACHI: Former Pakistan captain Imran Khan on Monday lashed out at interior minister Rehman Malik for his warning to Pakistan cricket team against indulging in match-fixing during their crucial World Cup semifinal against India in Mohali. The cricketer-turned-politican hit out at the minister’s statement and said he should better keep a watch on himself as he was absconding few days back. Imran, who heads Tehreek-e-Insaaf party, also made fun saying that the minister did not know English and his comments might have been misconstrued. “I would rather watch Malik than the cricket team. I am serious. He was absconding. My worry is not the cricket team but it’s him,” Imran made a terse statement when asked about Malik’s comments. “I know the minister, he does not have a strong command over the English language.”

esay politicians kee sar e aam chitroll honi chaiey. jo chahy bakwas karny baith jaty hein.

---------- Post added at 08:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:52 PM ----------

He is the Lalu Yadav of Pakistan lol..

Laloo is much better than this piece of **** at least he got the style.............and this clown? Grrrrrrrrrrr

Back
Top Bottom