What's new

Record sale of 1.3m bikes in 2009-10

RescueRanger

PDF THINK TANK: CONSULTANT
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
KARACHI: The robust growth in auto sector in 2009-10 was also contributed by sale of motorcycles (Chinese and Japanese), which excelled with 1.3 million units compared to 850,000 in last fiscal, a Chinese bike maker claimed.

The total sale of farm tractors (Fiat and Messey Ferguson) stood at 71,512 units as compared to 60,351 units, while truck sales rose to 3,620 units from 3,136 units. Sale of jeeps and pick-ups also went up to 1,201 and 16,496 units, respectively, compared to 1,066 and 15,400 units.

According to figures of Pakistan Automotive Manufacturers Association (Pama), a slight decline was recorded in bus sales to 657 units in the year under review compared to 686 units earlier.

Of the motorcycle sales, makers of Honda motorcycles continued to enjoy a big share with sales hitting 483,151 units in 2009-10 as compared to 349,892 units, while sales of Yamaha bikes also rose to 120,953 units from 66,484. The sale of Suzuki bikes increased to 17,437 units from 15,326.

Ravi bike sold 23,304 units against 18,457, while Hero bikes sold 36,166 units against 19,818 earlier.

Meanwhile, an official of the Engineering Development Board (EDB) told Dawn from Islamabad that the bike sales had already reached 1.2 million units up to May 2010, while figures for the full year were being compiled.

Association of Pakistan Motorcycle Assemblers (APMA) Chairman Mohammad Sabir Shaikh said bike sale figures of 2008-09 were 850,000 units.

He said the price increase in the last one year had not affected the sales of bikes as a big demand of two wheelers originated from growers in the rural areas after a good crop of wheat, cotton, and rice etc.

He said that some persons, who got money under the Benazir Income Support Programme, had preferred purchasing bikes on installment basis.

Due to higher public transport charges after increase in fares many people decided to switch over to the two wheelers, he added.

The Japanese bike becomes dearer by one per cent following increase in GST to 17 per cent from July 1, 2010, while the Chinese bike makers also pushed up the rate by Rs500 to Rs1,000 per unit.

Senior executive director Millat Tractors Sohail Bashir Rana linked the increase in tractor sales to introduction of 10,000 units under Green Tractor scheme by the Punjab government followed by 10,000 units’ sale through Benazir Tractor Scheme and 5,000 units sale under the Sindh government.

Besides, the farmers also got good support price from various crops, especially in wheat, he added.

DAWN.COM | Business | Record sale of 1.3m bikes in 2009-10

Well bikes are still used as transport in many south asian countries. Mass Transit is all well and good, but the average joe who needs transport "mobility" is not going to want to wait 20/30 mins for a bus or metro-rail.

There is a metro system in India and yet they have serious traffic problems. As for mass transit, Rawalpindi, Lahore and Karachi have been "talking" about metro projects for years now.

So until then, this is the next best option.

Which is the best selling Bike in Pakistan??are there any Pakistani company collaborating with Japanese and Chinese companies in production of the bikes?

Which is the best selling Bike in Pakistan??are there any Pakistani company collaborating with Japanese and Chinese companies in production of the bikes?

Best selling bike in Pakistan is the Honda CG125, followed by the Honda CD70, the biked are made under licence in Pakistan, other manufactueres include:

Honda Pakistan Licence)
Winner (Chinese)
Road-Prince (Chinese)
Jinan (chinese)
Asia-Hero Pakistan Licence)
Ravi (Pakistani)
Safari Pakistan Licence)
United (Pakistani)
Eagle Pakistan Licence)
Qingqi (Chinese)
HERO-RF (Pakistani Licence)
Moonstar (Pakistani Licence)
Excel (Pakistani Licence)
Sohrab (Pakistani)
ZXMCO (Chinese)
Harley-Davidson (USA)
Guangta (Chinese)
Challenger (Chinese)
Unique (Chinese)
Super-Star (Chinese)
Jailing (Chinese)
Suzuki (Pakistan- Licence)
Yamaha (Pakistan - Licence)
Pak-Hero (Pakistan)
Crown-Lifan (Chinese)
Star (Chinese)
Yinxiang (Chinese)
Super-Asia (Pakistan)
Ghani (Chinese)
Metro (Pakistani)
Habib (Pakistani-Licence)
Super-Power (Chinese)
Kawasaki (Pakistan Licence)

Most are under licence apart from a few that make the CD70 equivalent locally. Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha and Kawasaki are the market leaders, then people go for the Chinese or Pakistani made variants.

Sir i see a name Hero..is this the same Indian company Hero which make cycles and largest bike producer here in India??Seems like lot of Bikes there is Pakistan..what is the price and CC of the bike..are you guys choosing same 150cc and 125 cc like average Indians choose?

Seiko you and boo seem to be bikers. Which bike do you ride bro?

Are the two of you on any of the online biker forums?

Cheers, Doc

Sir i see a name Hero..is this the same Indian company Hero which make cycles and largest bike producer here in India??Seems like lot of Bikes there is Pakistan..what is the price and CC of the bike..are you guys choosing same 150cc and 125 cc like average Indians choose?

No this is a Pakistani company called Pak-Herohttp://www.pakhero.com, your confused with HERO-HONDA.

In Pakistan the most common bike chosen in Honda CG125 and the classic version is 87,000 PRK, whilst the new deluxe version is 1Lakh+gst.

CD 70 is about 58,000 PKR.

These prices are for Honda, prices for other bikes are considerably lower, but the quality is a bit... :tdown:... I personally have a classic Honda 250 Roadmaster... It is an amazing ride.

Seiko you and boo seem to be bikers. Which bike do you ride bro?

Are the two of you on any of the online biker forums?

Cheers, Doc

Yes I love to ride bikes Doc but lately have too many accidents..:) I am having Pulser 150 Dtsi.. trying to upgrade to Thunderbird /Avenger or Yamaha Fazer..but will have to get permission from High command (mother) other wise will get booted out from my home..Boo is more like biker than me..He is more crazy about bikes than me ..

I dont know about Boo but I never been in to any of the biker forums..What Bike you have Doc?

I have two man. Both Bullets, both 500s. One the brit motored classic cast iron standard 500, and the other the newer austrian motored (AVL) aluminium LB500. You should go for the Bullet. :) I had a first lot Pulsar 180 a long time ago.

Cheers, Doc

Well bikes are still used as transport in many south asian countries. Mass Transit is all well and good, but the average joe who needs transport "mobility" is not going to want to wait 20/30 mins for a bus or metro-rail.

There is a metro system in India and yet they have serious traffic problems. As for mass transit, Rawalpindi, Lahore and Karachi have been "talking" about metro projects for years now.

So until then, this is the next best option.

Metro service is available after every 3-5 mins not 20/30 mins. And Metro has not covered whole of Delhi still south Delhi is remain uncovered after 2 months by September this year whole of Delhi will be covered by Delhi Merto.

1. Delhi's transportation problem is complex as it sits between many cities and is on a juncture of major routes vehicles from Rajasthan/Haryana have to cross Delhi to reach UP or UP vehicles have to cross Delhi for reaching Rajasthan/Haryana.

For solving this problem govt is building 8 lane access control expressway so that outside vehicles don't have to enter Delhi and Delhi is remain free from unnecessary traffic and pollution.

2. But real problem of Delhi is show off people believe in showing their wealth and having 3-4 cars in a house is normal.

This is why Delhi has more number of vehicles then combine total of vehicles of Mumbai, Kolkata, Chennai, Bangaluru.

In fact Delhi has largest number of vehicles in the World. + 8-9 lakh vehicles enter Delhi from Gurgaon, Noida, Gaziabad.

As for Metro in other cities:

Apart from Delhi, Metro is currently available in Gurgaon, Gaziabad, Noida.

In Mumbai Metro and Monorail both are under construction.

Metro is also under construction in cities like Chennai, Bangaluru, Kolkata, Mumbai, Hyderabad.

Lucknow, Jaipur, Kochi, Pune Metro projects are in final stages of DPR.

In my opinion Metro is not final solution as people will go for new car and bikes. But Metro will keep the traffic in check.

No this is a Pakistani company called Pak-Herohttp://www.pakhero.com, your confused with HERO-HONDA.

In Pakistan the most common bike chosen in Honda CG125 and the classic version is 87,000 PRK, whilst the new deluxe version is 1Lakh+gst.

CD 70 is about 58,000 PKR.

These prices are for Honda, prices for other bikes are considerably lower, but the quality is a bit... :tdown:... I personally have a classic Honda 250 Roadmaster... It is an amazing ride.

But, why there are no Indian bikes as Indian bikes are good in both the quality and prices.

I'm sure if Pakistani bike makers join hands with Indian companies they gonna rule.

Not of India only.

Hero Honda Motors is the World's largest manufacturer of two-wheelers with annual sales volume of over 3.0 million motorcycles.

Hero Group: Achievements

But, why there are no Indian bikes as Indian bikes are good in both the quality and prices.

I'm sure if Pakistani bike makers join hands with Indian companies they gonna rule.

Politics my friend, politics is a dirty game.

I have meet many Pakistanis and it seems their talent is untapped.

They just need some polish and chance and world is waiting for them.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom