What's new

Reagan Carrier Group and amphib assault ship Tripoli armed with F-35s operating near Taiwan

Democracy has too many shortcomings that make no sense at all. It is not a universal form of governance that works for everyone. ”Democracy isn’t perfect but it’s the best“ is probably the most famous cliche that has fooled people over and over. Every stupid thing that happened in a democracy is because “we’re not perfect”. As if somehow the problems will fix themselves. Well, faith is a wonderful thing. Democracy should be treated like a religion. You believe your god and you leave others alone.
It is certainly better than authoritarian systems such as monarchy dictatorships and single party tyrannies. The big difference you should not overlook is that in democracies the problems that people face are aired and known publicly. In the authoritarian tyrannies, most problems are hidden from public view by the tyrant whether king, dictator or party chairman !

This China-Taiwan tension provoked by Pelosi will be case study to see CCP decision making process. I predict they will not escalate it too much, but the respond by China to punish USA and its Western ally will likely by helping Russia economy more, which will be very bad to US/Western nations economy, and also India economy, as it can make Russia has much more economic capability to continue the war and capture Ukraine land despite Western economic sanctions.
China has no means of punishing USA. India is irrelevant to this issue. Russia will try to goad Xi to escalate.

In terms of net suffering, XI has suffered loss of face within CCP and Taiwan has suffered from the PLaAF exercises.

This China-Taiwan tension provoked by Pelosi will be case study to see CCP decision making process. I predict they will not escalate it too much, but the respond by China to punish USA and its Western ally will likely by helping Russia economy more, which will be very bad to US/Western nations economy, and also India economy, as it can make Russia has much more economic capability to continue the war and capture Ukraine land despite Western economic sanctions.
China has no means of punishing USA. India is irrelevant to this issue. Russia will try to goad Xi to escalate.

In terms of net suffering, XI has suffered loss of face within CCP and Taiwan has suffered from the PLaAF exercises.

I think it's a dumb move on the US side.

The visit only makes sense if the US wants to provoke China and incite a regional conflict and thwart China's development.

But if the US is serious about co-existing with China in the long term and not to allow their competition to lead to some form of military conflict, whether it's direct or indirect like in Ukraine now, then the visit is an unnecessary provocation which runs against every one's interests (including Taiwan's). What's the value of the visit which is worth the provocation? To show that you stand with Taiwan and democracy? To point a middle finger to China for domestic political consumption?

You may think it's no big deal and China is just throwing tantrum, but that's from your POV. Every country has their own sensitivities, like in the US it's race, in some countries it's religion etc. For China, you obviously know that Taiwan is a red line and a very sensitive subject for them which they must respond if provoked. Just because you can poke their sore point doesn't mean that you should do it for no apparent reason. To do so reeks ignorance and insensitivity.

That said, I don't think China will shoot down any plane and really start a conflict now. They will take the opportunity to conduct military exercises nearer to Taiwan which are too provocative in normal times and normalize such military exercises in the future, effectively tightening Taiwan's military space. And maybe retaliation against Taiwan which will further shrink their economic/diplomatic space as well. I read that they just announced import bans from more than 100 Taiwanese food suppliers. In the end, it will be Taiwan and their people who suffer the consequences.

What becomes more problematic is if China also wants to point the middle finger to the US. You know, like providing financial or military support to Russia, sustaining Putin and dragging the war which lead to more deaths and misery in Europe. Both the US and China don't suffer direct consequences of their actions; it's the smaller powers which suffer from their indirect retaliation against each other.
Pelosi got her popularity boost from her trip so I wouldn't call it a dumb move by Pelosi. Any action to poke China in the eye is popular with voters in the US. Now there will be probably more copycat visits in the future by politicians who are looking for a boost in the polls. China will probably be looking for each one of those trips to escalate the tensions even further. It is really on the Taiwanese gov to reject those trips because it is Taiwanese who will suffer the most when war breaks out.

It is certainly better than authoritarian systems such as monarchy dictatorships and single party tyrannies. The big difference you should not overlook is that in democracies the problems that people face are aired and known publicly. In the authoritarian tyrannies, most problems are hidden from public view by the tyrant whether king, dictator or party chairman !

You know nothing about China. You’ve been fed with propaganda against China, you hear what you want to hear. The world isn’t just black and white. Just because 1.4 billion people don’t vote for a leader doesn’t mean our system is run by tyranny. Likewise your “transparency“ has not prevented your country officials from being one of the most corrupt in the world. Don’t just believe whatever youre told. Do your own research, use your own brain. Is it really possible that 1.4 billion people increase their wealth by over 30 times in less than 40 years without waging a single war if they are all suppressed slaves ?

You know nothing about China. You’ve been fed with propaganda against China, you hear what you want to hear. The world isn’t just black and white. Just because 1.4 billion people don’t vote for a leader doesn’t mean our system is run by tyranny. Likewise your “transparency“ has not prevented your country officials from being one of the most corrupt in the world. Don’t just believe whatever youre told. Do your own research, use your own brain. Is it really possible that 1.4 billion people increase their wealth by over 30 times in less than 40 years without waging a single war if they are all suppressed slaves ?
See! See how much u know abt our country and how little to nothing is known abt China ? Exactly why and how authoritarian systems survive. Thx for demonstrating my point.

See! See how much u know abt our country and how little to nothing is known abt China ? Exactly why and how authoritarian systems survive. Thx for demonstrating my point.
Both systems have pros and cons, for Indian democracy, all shit is known and then what, people are still starving, shitting is still a problem and pollution is now worse than China. OTOH, so called autocratic China is doing a far better job. I been to Bangalore and Delhi so I know how shitty it is.

Both systems have pros and cons, for Indian democracy, all shit is known and then what, people are still starving, shitting is still a problem and pollution is now worse than China. OTOH, so called autocratic China is doing a far better job. I been to Bangalore and Delhi so I know how shitty it is.
I hear you. But @DoTell did a better job of proving it.

i don’t need to prove anything. Look at you, over 70 years of democracy, still the most backward country in the world. You are a textbook example of why democracy isn’t what they make it out to be. Bye.
Don't be sour and don't worry about Hans. He will get over it once he realizes how well you proved my point.

Back
Top Bottom