What's new

Ready to face sanctions over gas project:Pakistan

Yeah, I get what you are saying, however, respectfully disagree with your analysis on the eventualities. Yara, two decades of strategic bleeding, did we break psychologically? They know it very well that we are not going to cave in. It's going to be a zero sum game. Let's roll the dice.
Buddy its not about psychologically breaking. I know Pakistanis have took it with courage.

But can we ignore the deteriorating conditions ? Pakistan can have their energy demands met by the resources they have. They can have loans paid off with good policies.

Having said that, you do realize that textile industries are shifting to Bangladesh. Many industries are closed. Many customers have changed the suppliers from Pakistan to other countries.

Terrorism has many long term effects too that people haven't taken into account. I have talked about that too. Pakistan still has many things to loose. So I think Pakistan shouldn't think they have anything to loose anymore.

Gas pipe line or no line, either way Pakistan is facing problems. Best will be to have the Pipe Line. Bite the bullet this time :pakistan:

ISLAMABAD: Advisor to PM on Petroleum, Dr. Asim Hussain has said that Pakistan is ready to face any kind of US sanctions over Pak-Iran gas pipeline project, Geo News reported.

Speaking to media after signing an accord between OGDCL and fertilizer companies here, Dr Asim said Pakistani economy was under pressure, adding every measure would be taken to secure it.

The advisor said agreement would also be inked with Iran for establishing 400,000 barrel per day capacity refinery in Gwada

[/url]
what kind of sanctions we should be expecting, would it be like the one in 1990's . and how we can sustain the pressure after the sanction, becouse we are already in bad condition

Do you know that tax recovery from Faisalabad (where almost ALL textile industry is based) has always been zilch? None of them used to pay taxes anyways.

Of-course we have a lot more to loose, however, whatever is left can not be snatched by the Yanks.

Buddy its not about psychologically breaking. I know Pakistanis have took it with courage.

But can we ignore the deteriorating conditions ? Pakistan can have their energy demands met by the resources they have. They can have loans paid off with good policies.

Having said that, you do realize that textile industries are shifting to Bangladesh. Many industries are closed. Many customers have changed the suppliers from Pakistan to other countries.

Terrorism has many long term effects too that people haven't taken into account. I have talked about that too. Pakistan still has many things to loose. So I think Pakistan shouldn't think they have anything to loose anymore.

what kind of sanctions we should be expecting, would it be like the one in 1990's . and how we can sustain the pressure after the sanction, becouse we are already in bad condition
Exactly. Pakistan had good economic shock absorbers, this time its not their.

Gas pipe line or no line, either way Pakistan is facing problems. Best will be to have the Pipe Line. Bite the bullet this time :pakistan:
exactly, the pressure will always be there, and the sword of the sanction will always be waiving upon our heads, but we should do whats is in our long term interests, by the way what Americans are doing for the TAPI project.....

Do you know that tax recovery from Faisalabad (where almost ALL textile industry is based) has always been zilch? None of them used to pay taxes anyways. Of-course we have a lot more to loose, however, whatever is left can not be snatched by the Yanks.
Buddy Pakistan still needs funds for many crucial projects. They just paid millions for dam repair. So they essentially funded in improving energy demands. Thing is Pakistan don't have alternative to US, IMF and WB money.

Yara, again you are thinking from an outsiders POV.

Post 2014, we have NO intention of letting any centralized Afghan government succeed that is friendly to ANYONE but us, yes, we can do it, NO ONE ELSE CAN.

We can control ALL of Pushtoon dominated areas one way or the other, however, will NOT be able to control the Northern parts which have always fallen under the influence of Northern Alliance (Turkmens, Uzbeks, Tajiks).

Now reevaluate all the scenarios according to what I said above and draw whatever conclusions that may pop up in your head.

Yaara its not about having the capability on the ground. But the problem will simply be that to do so you will have to place yourself squarely in the US's crosshair, not to mention even China doesn't have absolute convergence with Pakistan on the Afghan issue. Both nations will be playing their own game of dominance for resources and Pakistan will have to be ready for a backlash from both sides.

Continuing to engage in Afghanistan on those terms will still see extremist elements operating against you. Isn't it better to conclusively sort out certain issues like the TTP playing fields in Afghanistan rather than going in for complete dominance?

not true. I am a girl, all I have to do is ask sweetly and you guys wouldn't just give me the position but also make sure I get re-elected. trust me, it works like a charm.

But on a serious note, let's see how this unfolds. I still believe it wouldn't stop, but then again the election thing could really be a factor. Hopefully someone in their right mind comes to power.

@Armstrong is allegedly asexual and I am vastly immune to womanly charms..so nope..tough luck..you get deposed...someone else gets to rule and I get to enjoy the perks of being a national leader without all the pesky responsibilities. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
@Armstrong is allegedly asexual and I am vastly immune to womanly charms..so nope..tough luck..you get deposed...someone else gets to rule and I get to enjoy the perks of being a national leader without all the pesky responsibilities. :lol:

Asexual ? :blink:

Dude I'm a deep...deep romantic at heart but, to paraphrase Khalil Gibran, I've yet to feel a new affection resting calmly in my heart, like the spirit hovering over the waters at the creation of the world, and from that affection see both my happiness & my sorrow take birth. As if the will of heaven has freed me from the bondage of youthful restlessness & solitude & let me walk in the procession of love !

I don't mess around with petty relationships, I'm a romantic - I want it all or I want it naught ! :)

Asexual ? :blink:

Dude I'm a deep...deep romantic at heart but, to paraphrase Khalil Gibran, I've yet to feel a new affection resting calmly in my heart, like the spirit hovering over the waters at the creation of the world, and from that affection see both my happiness & my sorrow take birth. As if the will of heaven has freed me from the bondage of youthful restlessness & solitude & let me walk in the procession of love !

I don't mess around with petty relationships, I'm a romantic - I want it all or I want it naught ! :)

Yup asexual, I can see why @Aeronaut and @Hyperion worry about this so much. Doomed! :P

in my word sanction means no more upgradation of f 16,,, no help to fight terror in baluchistan,,, junking f 16

this entirely shows that US is infact our enemy, look at turkey, they get gas deals from iran, no sanctions, pakistan gets it, immediate sanctions(who is helping US a lot in their war and even sustaining so much deaths and destruction

time to abandon US relations completely

Real shrewd move from Zardari regime. Timing is very suspicious. It's not as if the final negotiations will be done straight away... will take few more months to bring this whole deal into perspective. However if Zardari regime fails to come back to power... whoever is running the govt will have to bear the brunt of western sanctions. & If PPP comes back to power.... they will have to find a way to wriggle themselves out of this.

For the moment it works in PPP's favour & gives them a opportunity to tell the public that they are strong enough to defy western pressure.

Back
Top Bottom