What's new

Ready to face sanctions over gas project:Pakistan

Depends, a lot of Pakistanis seem to think that this a pre-poll stunt and no concrete moves will emerge after the elections. That being said, on the ground, there is yet no firm signed deal. Lets wait and watch, it all depends on how serious the US is in this case. You have to remember the 2014 draw down being as it is there are a lot of countries more important to the US than Pakistan which want to see Iran crippled (SA, Israel+Turkey).

Besides you have to remember that the Pakistani economy is already under immense stress, its dependency on the IMF should have logically seen it avoid any controversial moves. A few months should see the situation gaining more clarity.

i guess you guys are right, the elections could be a huge factor. but do u think Iran knows this LOL?

Yaraaa all of these things are the symptoms of an underlying problem called 'Bad (atrocious) Governance' ! Take care of that & everything else will fall in line. Hopefully after PPP is booted out the next Government either PML N or PTI would do things better.

best of luck to both our countries. bad governance is a common problem in south asia.

Yaraaa all of these things are the symptoms of an underlying problem called 'Bad (atrocious) Governance' ! Take care of that & everything else will fall in line. Hopefully after PPP is booted out the next Government either PML N or PTI would do things better.

Yes but the economic problems aren't just governance related. Better governance will not be a panacea for Pakistan. The issue is exacerbated by the violence and the active insurgency in so many areas..sanctions at this time will deal a heavy blow. You should have waited 4-5 years, brought stability to your economy and flushed out the extremists- after that you would have had room for maneuvering.

As things stand there is very little scope for absorbing any shocks in the economy atm. Besides you have to take into consideration that 2014 is indeed the date to look to here, the US does not plan to leave a heavy presence (in terms of gear such as tanks etc) in Afghanistan- that toned down presence will not require the GLOC as much as the US forces require it today. It'll all boil down to the result of US's risk-benefit analysis- and Pakistan might not come out on top in that.

don't worry guys i'll run in the next election. I'll enjoy myself and relax in power and let you guys take care of the positive governance aspect lol ;)

Me, @Armstrong and @Ayush will depose you and take over. :devil: Then Armstrong can go about constructing a firm narrative while me and Ayush enjoy chapli kebabs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes but the economic problems aren't just governance related. Better governance will not be a panacea for Pakistan. The issue is exacerbated by the violence and the active insurgency in so many areas..sanctions at this time will deal a heavy blow. You should have waited 4-5 years, brought stability to your economy and flushed out the extremists- after that you would have had room for maneuvering.

As things stand there is very little scope for absorbing any shocks in the economy atm. Besides you have to take into consideration that 2014 is indeed the date to look to here, the US does not plan to leave a heavy presence (in terms of gear such as tanks etc) in Afghanistan- that toned down presence will not require the GLOC as much as the US forces require it today. It'll all boil down to the result of US's risk-benefit analysis- and Pakistan might not come out on top in that.

very true.usa has always viewed pak with suspicion and they will be hell bent on taking revenge post 2014.
remember iran and usa were allies till 1979.

very true.usa has always viewed pak with suspicion and they will be hell bent on taking revenge post 2014.
remember iran and usa were allies till 1979.

Interests of the nation are permanent - friendship is NOT.

Me, @Armstrong and @Ayush will depose you and take over. :devil: Then Armstrong can go about constructing a firm narrative while me and Ayush enjoy chapli kebabs.

not true. I am a girl, all I have to do is ask sweetly and you guys wouldn't just give me the position but also make sure I get re-elected. trust me, it works like a charm.

But on a serious note, let's see how this unfolds. I still believe it wouldn't stop, but then again the election thing could really be a factor. Hopefully someone in their right mind comes to power.

Wicked mind of Zardari is playing politics over here, He is creating trouble for future Government(Probably of IK)

.1. Next government will be sanctioned government almost without investment and Finance--> Trouble for IK
2. Next government choose to put Pipeline into backseat then PPP would cry that IK is a puppet of America,undermining sovereignty etc -->Again Trouble for IK

Apart from benifit in current election this is WIN-WIN move by Zardari at cost of National interest.

My Question is: Will Iran Pipeline will solve all energy problem of Pakistan ? I think NO

are you kidding me, I was going to make him my president and be the PM myself. you guys are the bureaucrats of course:) glad i have your support LOL

you are welcome.

but this looks more like 'akhand bharat'. @Armstrong :azn:

p.s (zyxw if you don't know what akhand bharat means- it means a united india including pak, , Bangladesh, burma and of course the whole of Kashmir from aksai chin to ajk and Gilgit Baltistan :devil: .) many people still believe that india's ultimate goal is to become akhand bharat.

akhand means without parts or in other words united.

bharat is hindi name of india.

@Armstrong Although had things been different Pakistan could have taken heavy advantage of the sanctions on Iran, If those sanctions lift then you'll have a previously deprived Iran competing economically with you in the region. For example the Gwadar port could have really become an international trade transit hub, but time was squandered away- If Iran's sanctions are rendered void then Chabahar will immediately suck up quite a bit of the international tonnage (not the China bound ones though and that should hold Gwadar in good stead) since Iran has an easier access to the CAR (through Turkmenistan) and to Russia (through over sea routes in the Caspian sea) as compared to Pakistan which would still have to go through Afghanistan to access either.

Back
Top Bottom