What's new

Rana Plaza Collapse (huge life losses)

374698_643920958958732_2059593898_n.jpg

Agreed to some extent. But, how many such buildings are there in BD? when were they built? What actions did opposition take when they were in power? is it only Rana's fault or he is being made a scapegoat for his political affiliation? When the govt watchdog declared the building unsuitable, how come RMGs forced their workers back in? What is their responsibility? what is their political affiliations and who are they? too many questions, isn't it?

All the high-rise buildings in Dhaka have been beautified by our very able architects, but, most of those buildings are rickety, this is what I have observed. The framing system, composed of grade beams, beams and columns seem to me weak. It means the structural design engineers are less capable to do the stress analysis of the framing system resulting in rickety structures.

I cannot say how many such bldgs. are there in Dhaka. But, the govt must organize many teams to check out the design procedure of all the high rise bldgs in Dhaka. However, since many of these proposed team engineers themselves do not have the proper knowledge or experience, therefore, I propose foreign design engineers well-versed in design according to the US and British codes should head these team. They must work in BD until local engineers are trained by them to do and check all the details of design procedure.

Brave souls in Savar | The Daily Star

SATURDAY, APRIL 27, 2013
Brave souls in Savar
Masum Al Jaki

No safety gear, no training, no proper equipment. But they have brave hearts to help the workers trapped in a mangled mess of concrete and rods.
As the Rana Plaza tragedy unfolded, many ordinary people joined the rescue effort. A large number of students, street vendors, garment workers and religious leaders joined hands with fire fighters, army and police.
In some cases, the unequipped civilians were seen leading the desperate operation putting their lives at risk.
They entered the building by breaking the walls, and pulled out people — dead or alive, while law enforcers were just busy controlling the crowd.
One of the brave men managed to rescue a pregnant woman alive. Another rescuer, without any medical knowledge, untangled a garment worker from the debris by cutting her leg.

Shah Alam
SHAH ALAM
A local electrician, Shah Alam joined the rescue operation on Wednesday morning. He said he pulled out 23 bodies and rescued 12 people alive.
He rescued several people who had somehow found themselves tied with electric cables. There was no cutter, so he cut the cables with his teeth.
“There was no light, no equipment. But we did not stop for a second,” he told The Daily Star.

Abu Bakar
ABU BAKAR HAZRA
A 23-year-old BBA student of Pirojpur Government College, Abu Bakar Hazra joined the rescue effort on Thursday morning.
“I could not hold myself back when I saw the footage on TV. So I decided to come to Dhaka to join the rescue operation as I have experience of working with a rescue team in Bagerhat during the Cyclone Sidr [in 2007],” he said.
He entered the crumbled building through a small hole where no one, even the trained fire fighters, dared to go.
“A female garment worker was bleeding inside. I was continuously calling for a doctor who can stop the bleeding, but no one dared to go inside,” Abu Bakar said, adding that he then pulled out the worker himself from a pool of blood.

Salman
SALMAN
“Allah is great…no worries. I’m going down, please answer back when I call for help. I shall bring him out Inshallah,” Salman told the other rescuers as he entered the building on hearing someone screaming from the rubble.
Salman, a student of Natun Bazar Jamia Madania Madrasa at Baridhara in the capital, went to Savar on Wednesday evening along with his classmate Nazrul Islam.
“Actually I came here to donate blood, but they did not take my blood due to insufficient blood transmission equipment,” Salman said, “Having failed to donate blood, I decided to join the rescue operation to save as many lives as possible.”

Unfortunately there is a section of the pres and media which is trying to belittle the contribution of the army in the rescue effort.

Hats off to poor soldiers who are working round the clock BUT their commanding officer, 9th division GOC at savar is different matter all together. This GOC is taking political line even in the deep of this tragedy and reading out gloating praise for Awami League MP Murad Jong who has been patronizing and hiding these Awami Killers.

Unfortunately there is a section of the pres and media which is trying to belittle the contribution of the army in the rescue effort.

REST IN PEACE..

never knew there were rajputs in bangladesh....

May be they are contributing but we are seeing general people are more active . army is not using their heavy equipment so their contribution is visible . we should have bought some equipment for this kind of work but what we are seeing media is requesting for rod cutter portable oxygen etc what our disaster management ministry is doing ? we are seeing its army who is in co ordination of army is always on top then what the necessary of a separate ministry for it ?

May be they are contributing but we are seeing general people are more active . army is not using their heavy equipment so their contribution is visible . we should have bought some equipment for this kind of work but what we are seeing media is requesting for rod cutter portable oxygen etc what our disaster management ministry is doing ? we are seeing its army who is in co ordination of army is always on top then what the necessary of a separate ministry for it ?

I think, disaster management ministry has very little manpower. So, its duty is to organize relief teams with cooperation from Fire Brigade, Military, Police etc, and to co-ordinate many different tasks done by these govt organs.

Army cannot just use its heavy equipment because dislodging of concrete slabs or beams may hurt or kill those who are still alive, but have been forced into that honeycomb of Rana Plaza.

554647_455883427832960_1638881974_n.jpg

মখার ব্যাপার বুজলাম মুন্নি সাহার বিরুধে রাগের কারন কি ?

I think, disaster management ministry has very little manpower. So, its duty is to organize relief teams with cooperation from Fire Brigade, Military, Police etc, and to co-ordinate many different tasks done by these govt organs.

Army cannot just use its heavy equipment because dislodging of concrete slabs or beams may hurt or kill those who are still not dead, but have been forced into that honeycomb of Rana Plaza.

As we know many people are still trap inside the collapse building alive we should have ask for international help to rescue the worker . at least some equipment which could locate the people inside the building and some modern toools to cut through the building .

It is an on-going issue, short term economic gains vs. long term. Many developing countries do not have rigorous building codes. In the short term it stifles economic growth....but in the long term promotes it. Of course, it is hard to convince people to put off growth for later gains.

Joe Fresh customers vow boycott after Bangladesh factory collapse
But others say demand for cheap fashion leads to substandard clothing factories, like the one that collapsed and killed 230 people this week.

Joe Fresh customers horrified by scenes of carnage and destruction after a deadly garment factory collapse in Bangladesh warned they would boycott the Toronto fashion label until there was proof of change.
The building in an industrial suburb of Dhaka collapsed Wednesday, killing at least 238 people, many of them poorly paid workers who were forced to keep producing clothes even after police ordered an evacuation due to deep, visible cracks in the walls.
Loblaw confirmed Wednesday that suppliers for its Joe Fresh clothing line made garments in the eight-storey building, which housed multiple factories.
“I may look good in your clothes, but I no longer feel good,” customer Karine LeBlanc posted on the Joe Fresh Facebook page.
“Why is Loblaws not part of the Fire and Building Safety program like Calvin Klein and Tommy Hilfiger?” demanded Lindsay White, referring to a program that helps fund safety repairs at factories and bans production at sites that don’t make such repairs. “Until Loblaws gets on board with that, I will stop putting any more money into your brands.”
The outpouring of anger itself sparked a backlash.
Independent Toronto clothing maker Devorah Miller posted on her Red Thread Design blog: “Those tragedies happen because demand for low prices pushes down wages and safety standards. That’s the price paid for our fantastic bargains.”
“Do you people not read labels?” Peggy Chu asked other posters on the Joe Fresh Facebook page. “You want made in Canada, expect to pay Lululemon prices.”
But it is possible to make and sell an $8 T-shirt in a safe factory, Canadian Apparel Federation executive director Bob Kirke told the Star.
“A safe and an unsafe factory in Bangladesh is not matter of a huge amount of extra costs. It’s the desire to do it,” he said.
Behind the “rush to Bangladesh” is the fact that Canadian clothing companies, unlike U.S. companies, can import garments manufactured in Bangladesh duty-free, he said.

“We have a big stake there, $1.2 billion in clothing duty free,” he said. “That is in effect a subsidy to the Bangladesh government. So it’s perfectly within Canada’s purview to ask the Bangladesh government to do something.”

continued.......

Joe Fresh customers vow boycott after Bangladesh factory collapse | Toronto Star
............................................................................................................

I believe western countries can force BD germents owners to abide by safety standards but then again there is no such thing as morality in making profits, unfortunately. Violation of building codes both civilian and industrial is a menace that we can not afford.

Great decision...I want all buyers to postpone BD. Along with this I also want our garment workers to go wild on the streets, kill as many as possible garment owners. This is the time. People who are fearing of economy, just think that this economy on the blood of oppressed isn't required anymore. It might sound odd but it's required. Once the problem at infrastructure and humanity levels are resolved, it'd automatically come to us again.

Garments factory owners can be blamed for building collapse accidents if they themselves built or own the venue of their production sites. But, in the present Rana Plaza, its owner is Rana and the RMGs have only rented floors without really knowing that the building would collapse. So, why to blame the RMGs?

Because garments owners of that building already were aware of the problem, one day before it was declared. On that day all five owners forcefully made the laborers work in the building. They said the workers will not be paid full month salary if they didn't get in. There is also news that some workers were beaten to get inside and start working.

When BRAC bank could remain closed after the warning, why couldn't the garments owners take the same decision?

Back
Top Bottom