What's new

Rana Plaza Collapse (huge life losses)

so far 290 dead, 2,100 alive rescued ( still few hundreds stuck in the building)

RMG unrest flares up in capital, Gazipur

Hundreds of outraged workers, Instead of joining works, went on a rampage in Malibagh, Rampura, Mirpur areas in the capital Dhaka.
Dhaka (RTNN): Outraged by the deaths of fellow-workers in a disastrous building collapse at Savar, garment workers went on a rampage in the capital and Gazipur on Friday morning demanding punishment of the garment factory owners responsible for the tragedy.

Instead of joining their works, hundreds of garment workers of Malibagh, Rampura, Mirpur, Shewrapara and Kazipara areas in the city took to the streets and staged rowdy demonstrations from 8 am.

The garment factories in the areas remain open on Fridays, as their weekly holiday is on Monday.

The unruly RMG workers vandalised over 200 vehicles in Hazipara, Rampura, and Badda areas from 10 am to 10:30 am.

Vehicular movement from Mirpur 10 to Agargaon crossing was disrupted in the morning due to the surprise demonstrations. They also chanted slogans demanding their safety in their workplaces.

According to UNB Gazipur correspondent, several hundred RMG workers staged demonstrations in the morning demanding punishment of the Rana Plaza owner that collapsed on Wednesday causing huge casualties. So far, 282 deaths have been reported from the spot and the death toll may go up sharply as many people still remain trapped in the rubble.

Traffic on Dhaka-Mymensingh and Dhaka-Tangail highways came to a halt due to the demonstrations by the RMG workers.

Sources said several hundred garment workers from Konabari, Bhogra, Borobari, Targanj, Chandona and other places took to the streets wielding sticks and staged demonstrations demanding the arrest and exemplary punishment of the Rana Plaza owner, who reportedly forced the workers to join their works on the fateful day.

They also registered their protest as many garment units open were kept open on Thursday although the government declared it a mourning day.

Vehicular movement on the highways remained stopped since morning due to their agitation. They also vandalised scores of passing vehicles.

The workers vandalised several garment factories as the authorities did not suspend their production. Later, the authorities were forced to shut down the factories to quell the unrest.

RMG unrest flares up in capital, Gazipur | National | Rtnn.net

RIP! That's a huge loss and will effect a lot of families.

Joe Fresh customers vow boycott after Bangladesh factory collapse
But others say demand for cheap fashion leads to substandard clothing factories, like the one that collapsed and killed 230 people this week.

Joe Fresh customers horrified by scenes of carnage and destruction after a deadly garment factory collapse in Bangladesh warned they would boycott the Toronto fashion label until there was proof of change.
The building in an industrial suburb of Dhaka collapsed Wednesday, killing at least 238 people, many of them poorly paid workers who were forced to keep producing clothes even after police ordered an evacuation due to deep, visible cracks in the walls.
Loblaw confirmed Wednesday that suppliers for its Joe Fresh clothing line made garments in the eight-storey building, which housed multiple factories.
“I may look good in your clothes, but I no longer feel good,” customer Karine LeBlanc posted on the Joe Fresh Facebook page.
“Why is Loblaws not part of the Fire and Building Safety program like Calvin Klein and Tommy Hilfiger?” demanded Lindsay White, referring to a program that helps fund safety repairs at factories and bans production at sites that don’t make such repairs. “Until Loblaws gets on board with that, I will stop putting any more money into your brands.”
The outpouring of anger itself sparked a backlash.
Independent Toronto clothing maker Devorah Miller posted on her Red Thread Design blog: “Those tragedies happen because demand for low prices pushes down wages and safety standards. That’s the price paid for our fantastic bargains.”
“Do you people not read labels?” Peggy Chu asked other posters on the Joe Fresh Facebook page. “You want made in Canada, expect to pay Lululemon prices.”
But it is possible to make and sell an $8 T-shirt in a safe factory, Canadian Apparel Federation executive director Bob Kirke told the Star.
“A safe and an unsafe factory in Bangladesh is not matter of a huge amount of extra costs. It’s the desire to do it,” he said.
Behind the “rush to Bangladesh” is the fact that Canadian clothing companies, unlike U.S. companies, can import garments manufactured in Bangladesh duty-free, he said.

“We have a big stake there, $1.2 billion in clothing duty free,” he said. “That is in effect a subsidy to the Bangladesh government. So it’s perfectly within Canada’s purview to ask the Bangladesh government to do something.”

continued.......

Joe Fresh customers vow boycott after Bangladesh factory collapse | Toronto Star
............................................................................................................

I believe western countries can force BD germents owners to abide by safety standards but then again there is no such thing as morality in making profits, unfortunately. Violation of building codes both civilian and industrial is a menace that we can not afford.

Garments factory owners can be blamed for building collapse accidents if they themselves built or own the venue of their production sites. But, in the present Rana Plaza, its owner is Rana and the RMGs have only rented floors without really knowing that the building would collapse. So, why to blame the RMGs?

Garments factory owners can be blamed for building collapse accidents if they themselves built or own the venue of their production sites. But, in the present Rana Plaza, its owner is Rana and the RMGs have only rented floors without really knowing that the building would collapse. So, why to blame the RMGs?

U seem to have forgotten tazrin fire disaster. And every now and then some calamities happen involving garments factories. And besides violation of building codes is a chronic problem which includes garment factories as well. But yes that Rana clown is the main culprit here. He along with the factory owner are the murderers here.

Our people like to start and believe in gossips. Same is with Tazrin disaster that burnt about 120 workers alive by fire that engulfed the entire building. When I was in Dhaka in December and January, I lived on the 8th floor of an apartment building. I noticed no emergency exit in that building, nor in other nearby high-rise buildings.

After the fire deaths in Tazrin garments factory, BD people finger pointed at the Owner of that factory, although I will blame the Owner for not keeping even the main door open. The reality is, there is no rule in BD or every one bypasses a rule to provide EMERGENCY EXIT (EE) to his building.

In my case, I would not have been able to get out to the street if a fire broke out in a floor below my one, because there was no EE. It is not provided in any of the buildings in Dhaka and BD. So, we must be rational in our assessment of the situation.

In all the western non-Muslim countries, the local Fire Department requires a building with certain number of floors to be provided with Emergency Exists. But, neither Tazrin nor any others provide such a facility because it is not codified in the building laws of Bangladesh. I think, BD must carefully review all the building laws in the Christian western countries and include those provisions in our own country.

Well, it was RMGs who forced the workers into building even though it was clear that there is danger. Why blame Rana for it? because he is AL?

Back
Top Bottom