What's new

Ramzan food in India seeing an Arab Spring

Arab portion of the market exists,especially Shawarma and mediterranen food like Lebanese in some Upmarket areas.

By proportion it is negligible.

Most meat is eaten after drinking daaru as except for some cold regions,other parts of India are not suitable for eating meat day in and day out 365 days a year.

people would want to eat roasted/grilled chicken or some subzi after daaru and not some shawarma.

Today I had Dosa and Kadala curry for breaking fast.
Kadala curry:
images

Dosa:
images

Yesterday,I had "Orotti" and Beef curry
Orotti:
images

Beef Curry:
images

Today I had Dosa and Kadala curry for breaking fast.
Kadala curry:
images

Dosa:
images

Yesterday,I had "Orotti" and Beef curry
Orotti:
images

Beef Curry:
images

Oratti is called "Pathiri" in north kerala, One of the most smooth food, No side affects, Just enjoy..... But the problem is the side dishes....

Oratti is called "Pathiri" in north kerala, One of the most smooth food, No side affects, Just enjoy..... But the problem is the side dishes....
Its difficult to make too,also relatively expensive.

Its difficult to make too,also relatively expensive.

Well easier than your idiyappan or appam for that matter, similar to that of Chappathi.... Well i dont think it is expensive...... Expensive compared to what?

Well easier than your idiyappan or appam for that matter, similar to that of Chappathi.... Well i dont think it is expensive...... Expensive compared to what?
I am not sure about it mate,my mom and aunts say so. Its difficult to knead the dough,flatten it-"parathuka" (it should be really soft,takes effort and expertise). Unlike chappati,dough is custom made,and not from market,also coconut milk is used for soaking orotti,making it expensive compared to dosa and all.

Looks like there is big market and appetite for Arab ME food in india. Meat is one of the main ingredient in Arab dish, does that mean it is increasingly becoming popular in india? Anyone has size of indian food industry and Arab portion of the market?

Most Arab & ME foods are less spicy and taste dull to the Indian taste buds which are familiar to spicy foods. The market is very small for authentic Arab & ME foods, what we have are mostly spicier Indian versions of these foods, shawarma is good though. And what made you think that meat dishes were unpopular in India?

Most Arab & ME foods are less spicy and taste dull to the Indian taste buds which are familiar to spicy foods. The market is very small for authentic Arab & ME foods, what we have are mostly spicier Indian versions of these foods, shawarma is good though. And what made you think that meat dishes were unpopular in India?

Mate, Arab cuisine is very diverse. It's the cuisine of over 20 countries stretching from the Atlantic Ocean in the West (Morocco) to the Arabian Sea in the East (Oman) and from Syria to Comoros in the South which lies in the Indian Ocean and is located on the Southern Hemisphere.

Since I am familiar with many Arab cuisine and also have eaten Indian cuisine for years I can tell about the many similarities.

The Arab cuisine found in countries such as Morocco and Yemen for instance is considered spicy in most of the world.

Most of the Arab cuisine has a focus on various spices, herbs, meat, vegetables, fruits, dairy products, bread etc. It's basically a Mediterranean cuisine (most of the Mediteranean coastline borders Arab countries) with many more spices than in Southern Europe and other influences unknown there due to climate, culture, trade etc.

For anyone interested then I once made a thread about Yemeni cuisine and a short introduction to it which anyone interested in can see here below to get a short overview:

Peace.

Last edited:
Mate, Arab cuisine is very diverse. It's the cuisine of over 20 countries stretching from the Atlantic Ocean in the West (Morocco) to the Arabian Sea in the East (Oman) and from Syria to Comoros in the South which lies in the Indian Ocean and is located on the Southern Hemisphere.

Since I am familiar with many Arab cuisine and also have eaten Indian cuisine for years I can tell about the many similarities.

The Arab cuisine found in countries such as Morocco and Yemen for instance is considered spicy in most of the world.

Most of the Arab cuisine has a focus on various spices, herbs, meat, vegetables, fruits, dairy products, bread etc. It's basically a Mediterranean cuisine (most of the Mediteranean coastline borders Arab countries) with many more spices than in Southern Europe and other influences unknown there due to climate, culture, trade etc.

For anyone interested then I once made a thread about Yemeni cuisine and a short introduction to it which anyone interested in can see here below to get a short overview:

Peace.

Checked your thread, the foods looked really great!!! And very similar to what we have here in India, now I am searching for some good Yemeni restaurants here!! :-)

Checked your thread, the foods looked really great!!! And very similar to what we have here in India, now I am searching for some good Yemeni restaurants here!! :-)

You are very welcome mate. My impression based on knowing Indian cuisine is that many Indians would like Moroccan cuisine too.

You should definetely check that cuisine out as well.

Regarding the similarties then this is not so surprising because it's based on ancient trade, relative geographic proximity etc.;)

You are very welcome mate. My impression based on knowing Indian cuisine is that many Indians would like Moroccan cuisine too.

You should definetely check that cuisine out as well.

Regarding the similarties then this is not so surprising because it's based on ancient trade, relative geographic proximity etc.;)

Making me hungry. :mad::(

Kerala, OK. We can understand. It doesn't makes sense to have these restaurants in Tamilanadu, we have only 5% Muslims there. It could be in border areas to Kerala.
what Muslims???
Kannadigas/telegus/tulus generally don't eat beef(though some dalit classes in Karnataka eat it)...
reg Tamils..Tamil also eat beef(especially rural and coastal ones),not that much high like malayalis...kanyakumari dist in Tamilnadu is one of the highest beef consuming state in India,where hindus also eat beef with pride...

i think both are different..in mid travancore its a traditional food of Syrian Christian community...it look more like an arabian rotti with coconut kothu in it...we usually eat it with ghee/sugar or with sharkara paani..

Last edited:

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom