What's new

Rafale deal: India, France clinch offset deal; France agrees to invest 50% worth in related sectors

I think Parikar is of opinion to reduce Rafale count and increase LCA.
Reduce Rafale, nope! Increase Tejas, most likely, especially if HAL wakes up and start cooking.

I am getting a feel that US is involved in IAC2 and EMALS is being discussed. There is news that IAC2 might have US EMALS, I see that happening and the aircraft for EMALS might be P18 Advance Super Hornet.

I disagree on both the materials and the principle but not to the general idea.

America is not anywhere near selling EMALS and if it was, India would not be the first client.
For that, I'd picture Washington giving a reduced price for refit on the HMS Queen Elizabeth
or First Mount on the PoWa, her then replacing the QE as lead ship of the class.

That is not to stay that the latest steam cats can't be sold however and they work fine on all 11
active carriers they service today & the learning curve is easier on these old types. Gotta walk
before you run kinda thing!

Then the F-18 may or may not be the right plane but if there is a chums' deal as that would keep
the chain open longer, why not! Ideally though, N-LCA should have been the first pick with maybe
one Growler squadron and a pair of E2-Cs to keep them safe.

In any case, don't expect a signed paper for a year and a half to come. Obama won't sign that now
right before leaving. President Trump [ OMG! ] maybe but it will cost India!

So possible but unlikely! But there are other options. If I was head babu in Dehli, I'd federate Brazil
and any willing other for a set of 3 or 4 identical carriers, joint development, shared/split construction
and variable geometry options on combat systems and planes.

In any case, the timing to discuss this is wrong IMHoO. In a few months or couple years, no problem!

Good evening mate, Tay.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom