What's new

Racial attack: Indian killed in Australia

I tell ya Aussies are Quite p!$$3d at this Cartoon scandal.

Indian student visa applications fall by half

Indian student visa applications fall by half
DAN HARRISON
January 7, 2010

THE number of Indians applying for visas to study in Australia has plunged dramatically, heightening fears for the nation's $17 billion international education industry.

The latest Immigration Department data, for the period from July to October 31, shows a 46 per cent drop in overseas student visa applications from India compared with the same period in 2008.

The figures come as India seethed over the murder in Melbourne on the weekend of Nitin Garg, stabbed to death as he walked through a Footscray park on his way to work at Hungry Jack's on Saturday night.

In an eight-point warning, India advised its students to take ''certain basic precautions in being alert to their own security while moving around''.

The Foreign Ministry's advisory also asks Indian citizens to report ''complaints'' to Indian diplomatic missions.

Deputy Prime Minister Julia Gillard and acting Premier Rob Hulls yesterday said the travel advisory was a matter for the Indian Government, but Victoria remained a safe place for international students.

A leader of Melbourne's Indian community has meanwhile flown to Delhi to reassure Indians that Melbourne is a safe and tolerant city.

Vasan Srinivasan, president of the Federation of Indian Associations of Victoria, plans to hold a media conference in India to say that last weekend's murder was not a racist attack.

''To characterise such a criminal act as 'racist' inflames unnecessarily community sentiments and fears and presents a totally misrepresented picture of life as it really is in Melbourne,'' he said yesterday.

''Sadly, on the very same evening a young Australian man too was the victim of a random stabbing.''

Mr Srinivasan accused some local Indians of sensationalising attacks ''for their own self-promotion''.

Gautam Gupta, spokesman for the Federation of Indian Students of Australia, who has been vocal about race-based attacks, said it would be unfortunate if Indian organisations were ''pitched against one another''.

''I won't be a party to that,'' he told The Age last night.

Friends of Mr Garg are making preparations to have his body embalmed before it leaves for his homeland. Aman Singh, a friend of the family, said he expected the body to be released by the Coroner either last night or today.

''Then we will prepare to take him back to India,'' Mr Singh said.

The decline in student visa applications follows a year in which - aside from reports of violent attacks - unscrupulous practices by some colleges and migration agents also battered Australia's reputation as a study destination.

The data also shows that overall student visa applications dropped by 26 per cent. Applications from Nepal plummeted 85 per cent, from 5696 to 845, while those from Korea, Brazil and the United States each dipped by about 20 per cent.

Applications from China increased slightly, by 0.2 per cent, while those from Vietnam jumped 19 per cent.

Universities Australia chief executive Glenn Withers said the number of Indians applying to study at Australian universities had dropped by about 20 per cent compared with last year.

He said a reduction in Indian students would be likely to have a greater impact on vocational colleges, where a greater proportion of Indians enrolled.

Mr Withers said there were anecdotal reports that the media attention had caused some middle-class Indian parents to turn away from Australia and to other countries instead. He said part of the problem was that Indians had started studying in Australia in large numbers only recently, so there were few alumni to counter bad press with stories of their own experiences.

Dr Withers said he was more concerned by immigration data showing interest from China may be softening, and may be related to warnings published by the Chinese Government last year about the quality of some Australian colleges.

Andrew Smith, the chief executive of the Australian Council for Private Education and Training, which represents private colleges, said he was expecting a ''significant'' decline in international enrolments this year from several countries, including India and China.

He said reputational damage, the strength of the Australian dollar, and a tightening of the student visa application process, had all contributed to the drop, which could threaten the viability of colleges and lead to job losses.

Education is Australia's second most valuable export after metals.

Education is Victoria's biggest export, worth more than $4 billion a year.

Indian student visa applications fall by half | Australia |murder

^^ Its a good revenge if you want one , Aussie International Student Industry worths 30 Billion dollars making it the 3rd Largest industry in the country.

I tell ya Aussies are Quite p!$$3d at this Cartoon scandal.

given that you appear to live there, can you give some ground reality analysis?

have you yourself ever been targetted by these Australian/Lebanese gangs?

why are they mostly targetting indian?

Some believe that apart from the relatively recent influx of indians, the anti-indian violence has something to do with the deaths of Australian Baptist missionary Graham Stuart Staines and his two sons --who were all killed and set alight by angry hindu mobs in Orissa (same State where Christians were being massacred there en masse in 2008/09)

(background info --> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graham_Staines)

any validity in this?

Last edited:
^^ Its a good revenge if you want one , Aussie International Student Industry worths 30 Billion dollars making it the 3rd Largest industry in the country.

Its not about revenge bro..If Aussie cant give protection against these kind of attacks against the students ,this is bound to happen sooner or later..today Indian students,tomorrow who?If they are attacking Indian student for money if Indian students are not coming they will start attacking other people too ..

that's true as well......and i'd be surprised if Australia didnt put more late-night shift police and guards on duty in troubled areas.

a lot of the indian tend to work day jobs and attend class at night, which is when many of these guys have been bashed....it seems mostly that students are being targetted

do indian ever put up resistance, or are they always out-numbered?

that's true as well......and i'd be surprised if Australia didnt put more late-night shift police and guards on duty in troubled areas.

a lot of the indian tend to work day jobs and attend class at night, which is when many of these guys have been bashed....it seems mostly that students are being targetted

do indian ever put up resistance, or are they always out-numbered?

Indians Beat Up Racist Australian Thugs

Two locals, who allegedly abused a group of Indians and vandalised their car, were bashed up by them here, police said on Monday.

The incident took place at a carpark outside Meadowglen International Athletics Stadium in Epping when a local skateboarder damaged the rear window of a car belonging to an Indian.

The skateboarder also used the abusive language against some Indians who were coming out of the stadium where a Kabaddi match had ended on Sunday night.

“Associates of the people, whose car was damaged, came to their assistance. Two men were assaulted and hit with sticks in the brawl. These two injured men were from the group outside who had allegedly started to verbally abuse the people from the vehicle,” police said in a statement.

The two men, aged 25 and 42, were taken to Northern Hospital with minor injuries, they said. However, no arrests have been made and the incident was under investigations, police told PTI.

“A lot of people were leaving, the presentations were on at the time, I spoke to one of the boys that was there and he said a guy had smashed the rear window of a car that was leaving,” Councillor from the City of Darebin Tim Singh, who was present at the medal presentations ceremony for Kabaddi tournament, was quoted as saying by the media.

Indians Beat Up Racist Australian Thugs WHITE WATCH

Most of the times Indians will be out numbered..some of them got attacked coming back from classes or jobs

This is freakin stupid, way to start a race war. If the Australians indeed abused Indians and vandalized their cars, they should be sued in a court of law. Street revenge only makes things worse.

Two locals, who allegedly abused a group of Indians and vandalised their car, were bashed up by them here, police said on Monday.

The incident took place at a carpark outside Meadowglen International Athletics Stadium in Epping when a local skateboarder damaged the rear window of a car belonging to an Indian.

The skateboarder also used the abusive language against some Indians who were coming out of the stadium where a Kabaddi match had ended on Sunday night.

“Associates of the people, whose car was damaged, came to their assistance. Two men were assaulted and hit with sticks in the brawl. These two injured men were from the group outside who had allegedly started to verbally abuse the people from the vehicle,” police said in a statement.

The two men, aged 25 and 42, were taken to Northern Hospital with minor injuries, they said. However, no arrests have been made and the incident was under investigations, police told PTI.

“A lot of people were leaving, the presentations were on at the time, I spoke to one of the boys that was there and he said a guy had smashed the rear window of a car that was leaving,” Councillor from the City of Darebin Tim Singh, who was present at the medal presentations ceremony for Kabaddi tournament, was quoted as saying by the media.

Most of the times Indians will be out numbered..some of them got attacked coming back from classes or jobs

This is freakin stupid, way to start a race war. If the Australians indeed abused Indians and vandalized their cars, they should be sued in a court of law. Street revenge only makes things worse.

I agree with you on the bolded part.. it happened few months before if you look at the link you can see Oct 2009 and people were frustrated by the frequent attacks against the Indians ..But its not justifiable ..

lolz about what?

you said people were "frustrated"

you kidding me??? I'd make a point, just pack up my bags --flick them the bird --and storm out of there

if i were in a situation where i knew i was about to get beat up, i'd still fight back....put up SOME resistance at least to the best my ability

you cant be letting people thrash you like that, what are you kidding me??

you said people were "frustrated"

you kidding me??? I'd make a point, just pack up my bags --flick them the bird --and storm out of there

if i were in a situation where i knew i was about to get beat up, i'd still fight back....put up SOME resistance at least to the best my ability

you cant be letting people thrash you like that, what are you kidding me??

Abu most of the student went there in students loan and most of the families sole responsibility lies on those students.Not all students went there are rich kids .Thats why they try to stay there instead of all those problems..its not possible to get refund of the fees from the college if they stop studies in the middle of the course..and what will they do coming here with out completing their courses??

Abu you and me or any one can fight back if advisories is one or two..but what if its five or six?Its only in movies that hero can fight against 100's of advisories but in real life a common guy cant handle more than three guys..trust me i have first hand experience in it ;) ...

i'd rather get my arse kicked and go down fighting.....doesnt matter 1 on 3 or 1 on 6. Once adrenaline mode is activated, you tend to go into "psycho" mode.

Lol at the source of this story. This story isn't even remotely true. Look how poor it is written.

Nice try, but you have failed.

Back
Top Bottom