What's new

Q/A about Bangladesh

lost grandfather :(

now a question of my own

how bang? like is it through arab ancestery ( decendents of arabs that invaded the subcontinent ? or is it through conversion ? is it possible that muslims in the subcontinent may have arab ancestor ( talking majority )? )

and also i hear that some WB babus consider bangladeshis non bengali . wtf is with that ?

I doubt bengali muslim have much arab genes. I would believe it more if someone claimed having Afghan and persian blood. For muslims in bengal, i doubt there is much arab blood, cos arabs did not rule bengal. Afghan and persians ruled parts of bengal.

Bangladeshi is a nationality, anyone who holds a bangladeshi passport regardless of race and religion is bangladeshi.
Bengali is ethnic group/race. You are born in it and you cannot change it unlike nationality.

Yeah Avishek is right. I just know about Gazipur! It was a jungle area, with few hindu families living here and there... Then a group of Afghans came and settled. Through their link, Day by day more afghans came here , as there was plenty of scope for Agriculture. They grew stronger, had clashes with local hindu families and then the Afghans formed a Jamindari ! This is the beginning of islamization of this district! Arab ancestry? It has no importance.... At least i don't think! I would like to be an indonesian than lazyass Arabs! Btw tagore wrote - hotem jodi arab beduin! Lol seems like he had arab obsession like some of us :p

but the way ur govt tell figures which is in millions than it should not be hard to find some one who lost someone in 71 (If tht figure is correct at all)

for example in 2005 earth quake in Pakistani northern areas & Kashmir almost 80000 peoples died & in this figure u will find atleast one person in every family effected with this even in Karachi u will find so many peoples whos family members died in it.....than why its hard to find those whos loved ones are killed in 71 cz the figure as per hasina & indian is somewhere 3 to 5 million:cheesy:

Earthquake and Genocide are two different things.

They didn't kill selectively; they killed each and everyone from a family in most cases.

Yeah Avishek is right. I just know about Gazipur! It was a jungle area, with few hindu families living here and there... Then a group of Afghans came and settled. Through their link, Day by day more afghans came here , as there was plenty of scope for Agriculture. They grew stronger, had clashes with local hindu families and then the Afghans formed a Jamindari ! This is the beginning of islamization of this district! Arab ancestry? It has no importance.... At least i don't think! I would like to be an indonesian than lazyass Arabs! Btw tagore wrote - hotem jodi arab beduin! Lol seems like he had arab obsession like some of us :p

Actually at that time there was general fascination about the arabs. They came from an exotic place and were different from the muslims of the subcontinent, plus stories about the strange arab lands aroused our curiosity.

but the way ur govt tell figures which is in millions than it should not be hard to find some one who lost someone in 71 (If tht figure is correct at all)

for example in 2005 earth quake in Pakistani northern areas & Kashmir almost 80000 peoples died & in this figure u will find atleast one person in every family effected with this even in Karachi u will find so many peoples whos family members died in it.....than why its hard to find those whos loved ones are killed in 71 cz the figure as per hasina & indian is somewhere 3 to 5 million:cheesy:

3 or 5 million is a fake number

but many died no doubt about that

I don't think being beduin was considered cool thing(even being arab was not a cool thing at the time of Tagore). Call an Arab beduin and watch the response.

I don't think being beduin was considered cool thing(even being arab was not a cool thing at the time of Tagore). Call an Arab beduin and watch the response.

its nothing about being cool its about having a passionate life

It was just fascination, i dont think it equates to coolness.

Actually at that time there was general fascination about the arabs. They came from an exotic place and were different from the muslims of the subcontinent, plus stories about the strange arab lands aroused our curiosity.

Both your posts have some misinformation. You will have to read the Travelogue written by Ibn Batuta of Morocco to know that thousands of Arabs from Yemen and other parts of Arabia used to come to by boat and settle in Bengal because it was a land of plenty. Many of them were from the Quraish tribe. There were some others who were the direct descendents of Hazrat Ali and Bibi Fatima. There were thousands others who were not from these two groups, but were still respected by the locals because they were from the birth place of Muhammad (saw).

About rulers, all the Muslim rulers were of foreign descent. At some juncture of history their forefathers came and settled in the land of plenty. The first one was Bakhtar Khilji (1203 AD) and the last one was Nawab Siraj-ud-Dowlah (1757 AD). In between, there was only one King with local blood, a Hindu King, who usurped the throne of Bengal. He was Raja Ganesh.

There was an Arab Dynasty, too. It was the dynasty of Sultan Hossain Shah. Like many other fortune seekers from Arabia he also came and settled in Bengal. He was from Mecca and became the Sultan through a palace coup. There were also a Habshi Dynasty that ended with the killing of Sultan Muzaffar Shah by Hossain Shah, his Prime Minister, in a battle.

So, although there was no direct Arab invasion of Bengal, even then there were many people from Arabia, who are now just Bangali Muslims. There were also people from Abisinia, today's Iritrea and ethiopia. All became inter-mixed among each other and with local converts. So, we have all melted in the soil of Bengal.

Back
Top Bottom