What's new

Q/A about Bangladesh

What wrong bro, I never saw U stereotyping arabs like these? Both indonesians and arabs are our brothers in Islam.:)

ignore it bro, i don't hate them. I have weakness for indonesians! Being a pan islamist, i have tried to make friends everywhere in the world! And I liked indonesians only!! They don't care about money,race ! I always felt them close to heart while interacting!!

Both your posts have some misinformation. You will have to read the Travelogue written by Ibn Batuta of Morocco to know that thousands of Arabs from Yemen and other parts of Arabia used to come to by boat and settle in Bengal because it was a land of plenty. Many of them were from the Quraish tribe. There were some others who were the direct descendents of Hazrat Ali and Bibi Fatima. There were thousands others who were not from these two groups, but were still respected by the locals because they were from the birth place of Muhammad (saw).

About rulers, all the Muslim rulers were of foreign descent. At some juncture of history their forefathers came and settled in the land of plenty. The first one was Bakhtar Khilji (1203 AD) and the last one was Nawab Siraj-ud-Dowlah (1757 AD). In between, there was only one King with local blood, a Hindu King, who usurped the throne of Bengal. He was Raja Ganesh.

There was an Arab Dynasty, too. It was the dynasty of Sultan Hossain Shah. Like many other fortune seekers from Arabia he also came and settled in Bengal. He was from Mecca and became the Sultan through a palace coup. There were also a Habshi Dynasty that ended with the killing of Sultan Muzaffar Shah by Hossain Shah, his Prime Minister, in a battle.

So, although there was no direct Arab invasion of Bengal, even then there were many people from Arabia, who are now just Bangali Muslims. There were also people from Abisinia, today's Iritrea and ethiopia. All became inter-mixed among each other and with local converts. So, we have all melted in the soil of Bengal.

I was looking for his book. Is it available in Bangladesh?

I doubt bengali muslim have much arab genes. I would believe it more if someone claimed having Afghan and persian blood. For muslims in bengal, i doubt there is much arab blood, cos arabs did not rule bengal. Afghan and persians ruled parts of bengal.

Bangladeshi is a nationality, anyone who holds a bangladeshi passport regardless of race and religion is bangladeshi.
Bengali is ethnic group/race. You are born in it and you cannot change it unlike nationality.

Chittagong region has plenty of Arab bloods. They have a Burka culture. Sylhet region has Turkemin culture. Burka is not common in Sylhet.

and also i hear that some WB babus consider bangladeshis non bengali . wtf is with that ?

Strange! It's generally Bangladeshis who take offence if called Bengali, at least that's what my perception of Bangladeshis from PDF. I was once insulted publicly in front of all nationalities by Bangladeshi members for calling them Bengali in my ignorant self. One Bangladeshi even went ahead and created a thread and asked others not to call them Bengali and accused Indians to have some kinda ulterior motive for referring the great timurid pious Bangladeshis as Bengalis.

My opinion of Bangladeshis has changed since then.

And what's up with calling us Babu, I can assure you I have far less Babu quotient than any of you.

Strange! It's generally Bangladeshis who take offence if called Bengali, at least that's what my perception of Bangladeshis from PDF. I was once insulted publicly in front of all nationalities by Bangladeshi members for calling them Bengali in my ignorant self. One Bangladeshi even went ahead and created a thread and asked others not to call them Bengali and accused Indians to have some kinda ulterior motive for referring the great timurid pious Bangladeshis as Bengalis.

And what's up with calling us Babu, I can assure you I have far less Babu quotient than any of you.

Not too different from WBs calling themselves Aryans instead of the Dravidians they are. :P

Not too different from WBs calling themselves Aryans instead of the Dravidians they are. :P

We are Indo-Aryan speakers. Period.

For the last time, there is no Aryan or Dravidian race but only linguistic groups. Not sure how long it will take West Bengalis like me or Joe Shearer to convince you lot of this simple fact.

what is the current price for Hilsa there in Dhaka? Last sunday,I paid an exorbitant price for that fish here in Mumbai,just to make the girl happy,and then totally ruined it while cooking.

Actually at that time there was general fascination about the arabs. They came from an exotic place and were different from the muslims of the subcontinent, plus stories about the strange arab lands aroused our curiosity.

Baghdadis you mean?

There are quite a few in Kolkata - the Baghdadi Jews. They are famous for their bakeries.

Bengalis are an ethnic-linguistic group.

Enough said.

Chittagong region has plenty of Arab bloods. They have a Burka culture. Sylhet region has Turkemin culture. Burka is not common in Sylhet.

Really? REALLY?!

^^back at Dhaka I with one of my friend were famous among our friends as connoisseur !!!, Habijabi's at everywhere. I just came to USA couple of month ago and already missing those street foods+ many more. :sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::sad:.. By the way this is my first post in PDF since I moved to USA.

You remind me of my days at Bangkok back in 2006/07. Without touch of habijabi (mainly vajapora) I couldn't live a day, so there I faced real trouble...one for Bangla style tea :cry: in the morning and other for habijabi. Even once we had a pair of Singaras from a Bangladeshi restaurant there for 55 baht, that time 2 guys could have a Thai meal by 50 baht.

Yeah Avishek is right. I just know about Gazipur! It was a jungle area, with few hindu families living here and there... Then a group of Afghans came and settled. Through their link, Day by day more afghans came here , as there was plenty of scope for Agriculture. They grew stronger, had clashes with local hindu families and then the Afghans formed a Jamindari ! This is the beginning of islamization of this district! Arab ancestry? It has no importance.... At least i don't think! I would like to be an indonesian than lazyass Arabs! Btw tagore wrote - hotem jodi arab beduin! Lol seems like he had arab obsession like some of us :p

The race I hate most in the world is Arab if one specifically asks me.

You remind me of my days at Bangkok back in 2006/07. Without touch of habijabi (mainly vajapora) I couldn't live a day, so there I faced real trouble...one for Bangla style tea :cry: in the morning and other for habijabi. Even once we had a pair of Singaras from a Bangladeshi restaurant there for 55 baht, that time 2 guys could have a Thai meal by 50 baht.

For me it's the exact opposite now.

I miss Khao Man Kai and Pad Thai Khoong :undecided:

Although, I did miss Bangladeshi food back in Bangkok too :frown:

The race I hate most in the world is Arab if one specifically asks me.

That's too bad.

I hate aliens the most.

I love rugby.

I enjoy being gritty and brutish and all :D

Truly a real man's sport.

Cricket is a gentleman's sport.

Back
Top Bottom