What's new

Punjabi VS Pashto: Which one is easier to learn?

Pashto is easy - kisi bhi word kay end par "yay" lagao or taang maar kar lamba kar do tu pahsto ka word ban jaata hai

Pashto is a very unique and ancient language, although it may have barrowed a few words from here and there. Nevertheless its uniqueness makes it distinct from other subcontinental languages and thus it Should be preserved.

@Armstrong

Yara i'm sure you don't know Kashmiri like me.:ashamed: In fact, there must be few Punjab settled out there that tend to speak fluently.

I heard these Dardic Languages are quiet hard to learn. Is there by any chance a school out there in Lahore where you can learn ? My cousins tell me some idiots out there in Pakistan are learning English in American and British accents instead. Some guys have inferiority complexes and thats just bad.

No I don't know Kashmiri like you ! :ashamed:

But nor have I ever wanted to ! :lol:

Otherwise, the Punjab University, only a few kms from my place is even offering a Doctorate Degree in Kashmiri Language ! :blink:

But yes the Inferiority Complex is there people would twist & turn their mouths in the most grotesque of ways just to mimic Gora Sahib's accent !

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, Pushto & Pushtoons aren't going anywhere.....contrary to popular belief...... :devil:

Pashto is a very unique and ancient language, although it may have barrowed a few words from here and there. Nevertheless its uniqueness makes it distinct from other subcontinental languages and thus it Should be preserved.

No I don't know Kashmiri like you ! :ashamed:

But nor have I ever wanted to ! :lol:

Otherwise, the Punjab University, only a few kms from my place is even offering a Doctorate Degree in Kashmiri Language ! :blink:

Oye Punjab University mai jamatiya kya parhatay hon gaay. I heard from many that they make hell for others ! :pissed:

wasay butt sahab i hate Urdu. Its costing regional languages to be in danger. Before partition people spoke Farsi with outsiders and local languages with local community. These British rulers just changed the whole face of region by connecting us with India for a period of less than 150 years.

Oye Punjab University mai jamatiya kya parhatay hon gaay. I heard from many that they make hell for others ! :pissed:

Yes the Jamiat-e-Tulaba is there & they occasionally create problems but classes go on & students mingle - Nothing to fret about ! :)

wasay butt sahab i hate Urdu. Its costing regional languages to be in danger. Before partition people spoke Farsi with outsiders and local languages with local community. These British rulers just changed the whole face of region by connecting us with India for a period of less than 150 years.

If the people themselves are giving up on their local languages then how can we blame Urdu or the Government or even the Brits ?

No one stopped my parents from teaching me Punjabi or the Parents of almost every Punjabi I know (from my social strata) - Neither the Government, nor peer pressure nor the Brits - We did it ourselves !

At any rate - Urdu will always have a special place in my heart & I won't settle for its demotion from that of Pakistan's National Language - Quaid-e-Azam nei jo keh diyaa woh sar-e-tasleem-khum haii ! :kiss3:

Sir Ji and We love PAKISTAN :pakistan:

Phir issseii piyaaar mein thoraa saa Namak Mandi seii dumnbaa pack karvaa kar tou bheej deiiin ! :D

If you are an American or European, I guess both languages would be equal in difficulty level.

If you are from Sindh ( Whether Sindhi or Urdu ) Punjabi would be far easier to learn than Pashtu.

Punjabi is easy to learn, I learned "mata guda" from my mother she speaks Punjabi professionally.

@farhan 9909, pata nakha dey na lagi.

I like clean Punjabi dubbings lol specially those ones about president bush.
punjabi is my language but i have no idea what you just said lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes the Jamiat-e-Tulaba is there & they occasionally create problems but classes go on & students mingle - Nothing to fret about ! :)

If the people themselves are giving up on their local languages then how can we blame Urdu or the Government or even the Brits ?

No one stopped my parents from teaching me Punjabi or the Parents of almost every Punjabi I know (from my social strata) - Neither the Government, nor peer pressure nor the Brits - We did it ourselves !

At any rate - Urdu will always have a special place in my heart & I won't settle for its demotion from that of Pakistan's National Language - Quaid-e-Azam nei jo keh diyaa woh sar-e-tasleem-khum haii ! :kiss3:

Phir issseii piyaaar mein thoraa saa Namak Mandi seii dumnbaa pack karvaa kar tou bheej deiiin ! :D

Quaid is a unique case. He grew up in India and became President of Gujrat Sabha. As far as i know, he didn't know Urdu. He spoke maybe once or twice but that was all recited to address a speach. In his day to day life, he spoke English, Sindhi and Gujrati. There was certain people in his Muslim League who spoke Urdu. Maybe they had the hand to force him.

In Pakistan it was always Farsi and the local languages. They were all tought in schools and homes. Even If you look at Alama Iqbal, he once said 'my Urdu can never be as good as my Farsi'. In Iran, they still see him as one of the best poets.

A part of Bangladesh's movement was also because of Urdu. I mean look at this. The Bengalis are actually racially, and culturally linked to India, but it took us Pakistanis to impose a language which has no root or origin within our own.

In modern day i agree Parents are not teaching their kids Punjabi or other regional languages. But again its at the cost of something isn't it ?

Quaid is a unique case. He grew up in India and became President of Gujrat Sabha. As far as i know, he didn't know Urdu. He spoke maybe once or twice but that was all recited to address a speach. In his day to day life, he spoke English, Sindhi and Gujrati. There was certain people in his Muslim League who spoke Urdu. Maybe they had the hand to force him.

In Pakistan it was always Farsi and the local languages. They were all tought in schools and homes. Even If you look at Alama Iqbal, he once said 'my Urdu can never be as good as my Farsi'. In Iran, they still see him as one of the best poets.

A part of Bangladesh's movement involved Urdu. I mean look at this. The Bengalis are actually racially, and culturally linked to India, but it took us Pakistanis to impose a language which has no root or origin within our own.

In modern day i agree Parents are not teaching their kids Punjabi or other regional languages. But again its at the cost of something isn't it ?

On the contrary I wasn't referring to Quaid-e-Azam's Mother Tongue but his command of letting Urdu & only Urdu be our National Language !

That decision was perfectly rational for Urdu was the only language that could've served as the unifying force that bound us together as a Nation for it was the closest language that could be towards being Non-Partisan !

Farsi is a beautiful language no doubt but it wasn't the Lingua Franca of Pakistan, it had been on the decline since the fall of the Mughal Empire & even before that when Urdu replaced Farsi as the Court Language of the Mughal Empire.

My Great-Grandma, when growing up in Punjab, was taught Persian & Classical Arabic but that was because she belonged to somewhat an elitist & religious family - Nothing gaudy or feudal but they were well off than most people in their neighborhood ! What am I'm trying to say is that theres was the only household that did that !

My Grandmas (both Paternal & Maternal) & my Maternal Grandpa - All were from Pre-Partition Era but none of them knew Farsi ! And the only reason my Paternal Grandpa knew it was because he was interested in Persian Literature & had served in the British Indian Army traveling all over the Middle East & many parts of Pakistan !

So it wasn't nearly as widespread as we presume it to be.

On the Bangladesh Thing - We have wronged them on many occasions but in this we were right ! They wanted Bengali to be the National Language of Pakistan because they were in the Majority !

No language but Urdu afforded us the benefit of it being understood across the length & breadth of Pakistan as our lingua franca & because of its historical association no other language was nearly as non-Partisan as Urdu was.

We were right....the Quaid was right - They were with mala fide intentions & in that respect Good Riddance !

On the Parents not teaching their posterity Punjabi & other languages - Its at the cost of what (i) ethno-nationalists perceive original culture & language to be & (ii) what those languages are !

I for one, love the Punjabi language, but I've read enough anthropology to know that languages & cultures are an ever evolving phenomenon & its actually quite irrational to talk about the 'Original Culture & Language' of any place for theres nothing like that - the Punjabis of a 100 years ago spoke another language & prescribed to a different culture, the Punjabis of a 1000 years ago spoke a markedly different language & prescribed to a markedly different culture & so on & so forth when one goes further back into the past & also applies the same litmus test to other ethnicities in Pakistan !

Back
Top Bottom