What's new

Punjabi VS Pashto: Which one is easier to learn?

Punjabi is easy to learn, I learned "mata guda" from my mother she speaks Punjabi professionally.

@farhan 9909, pata nakha dey na lagi.

I like clean Punjabi dubbings lol specially those ones about president bush.

mehhhh za mata guda kho darzi kana

Last edited by a moderator:
soft sheen dialect of pashto is easier to learn than hard kheen dialect but it is not that popular in pakistan......forexample word hoshiar (clever, also used in urdu) becomes hokhiar in hard dialect of peshawer........chokidar (watchman) of soft dialect becomes sokidar in hard dialect. ......the hard dialect is actually modification of soft dialect........

@Pak-one

One of my bhabhi [best friend's wife] fares from Peshawar, she has been teaching me Pashto basics [I learned some basic Sindhi from another friend], i have to say that it shoots off my head. I do know basics as i grew up with two Pathan friends, i-e greetings, swear words etc but learning the language is bloody hard.

My experiance of learning Pashto wasn't much different from my attempt to learn German, do you wana know how many times i smacked the learning book on the wall.? :omghaha:

Btw, does Pashto have dialects? Like Pujnabi does?

Btw out of All languages in Pakistan, all of whom are equally beautiful, i absolutely adore Saraiki. You immediately fall in love with this language.

Pushto (various dialects are difficult to decode, other than Peshawri)

If you know Punjabi ---> Then Seraiki is easy as well --> If you know Seraiki ----> Then Hindko is very easy ----> If you know all ---> Then you can decode Sindhi effectively ---> If you know Turkish on top-----> Then everything starts making sense (Osmanlica) :D

Yar I was happily reading all posts from start and was getting confident then your post ruined it all, khichri paka di bhai aap ne to.. :pissed:

I think a little note about linguistic preference of Punjabis is in order, just to clarify what @cb4 is trying to say - and what @Armstrong has also touched upon.

Punjab as a region gained a lot from British Administration in the latter half of Nineteenth century (post 1849 conquest of Punjab by British). First, Punjab got rid of the overbearing and expensive war machinery of Sikhs. Second, the Britishers realized that the solution to India's hunger lay in bringing the barren wasteland of Punjab into cultivation via a canal network. The result was spectacular. Punjab's population increased many fold because of the new found wealth derived from Agriculture. Third, Lahore assumed a very prominent position because of the stability of the British Administration's special focus and the fact that many Punjabis had a good bit of money to spend. Consequently, the newly emerged elite class in Punjab look to Lahore, and found that Lahore actually looked to Delhi. That is how Urdu became popular. It was THE language to know if one wanted to show that one was educated and cultured. Not that Punjabi lacked much in itself, but that British policies and collective cultural memory of Lahore pointed towards Urdu as the cross-cultural lingua franca of Muslims of Sub Continent.

Sir Syed Ahmad Khan in his efforts to establish Aligarh made trips to Punjab to collect required funds. The memory of 1857 and Punjabi Muslims' help for British cause being fresh in his mind caused him to utter the remark 'Zinda Dilan-e-Punjab'. This phrase somehow morphed into 'Zinda Dilan-e-Lahore'. We have often heard of this phrase, but we hardly realize the bitter-sweet context of this ironic phrase. In any case, where ever Sir Syed went (Lahore, Sialkot, etc...) he met people who had learned Urdu and were eager to express themselves in it. So, it is no accident that educated Punjabis had started to learn Urdu with zeal and affection much more than a century ago. But even after partition (1947), Punjabi kept its place as the dominant language of Punjab. It was only slowly that Urdu's edge started eroding Punjabi's place. Now I do not know any family in Lahore that actually encourages its children to speak Punjabi. Irony is that English has replaced Urdu during the last couple of decades. Mothers are mad about teaching their kids English. Urdu syllabus in private schools has become a non-priority.

But the common folks still speak Punjabi; which is far more expressive, frank, and status-blind than the language of Punjabi elite which happens to be mediocre English or Urdu.
@cb4 is correct that Punjabi has seen erosion in its usage post-1947. But that is a process that had already been on-going for many decades by that time. And of course @Armstrong is correct in observing that languages and cultural values are ever in a state of flux.

A few decades down the road, people would be wondering about the new-found popularity of Chinese language in Punjab. If I live to see it, I would not be surprised.

Well, Pushto & Pushtoons aren't going anywhere.....contrary to popular belief...... :devil:

But i think Pashto is a dying language. Only 14 million people speak it in Pakistan and slowly its losing its influence to other languages like Urdu.

But i think Pashto is a dying language. Only 14 million people speak it in Pakistan and slowly its losing its influence to other languages like Urdu.

Pashtuns make over 16% of Pakistani populations...and believe me tht well over 14 million people... also there are 28 regional languages under threat because of urdu... n guess what pashto is not one of them...

@Armstrong

Yara i'm sure you don't know Kashmiri like me.:ashamed: In fact, there must be few Punjab settled out there that tend to speak fluently.

I heard these Dardic Languages are quiet hard to learn. Is there by any chance a school out there in Lahore where you can learn ? My cousins tell me some idiots out there in Pakistan are learning English in American and British accents instead. Some guys have inferiority complexes and thats just bad.

That is not an inferiority complex. English is a Foreign language, and they are just learning to speak the foreign language properly.

If you are learning, Chinese, French, or German. It makes sense you learn it with a proper accent, but why it becomes an issue with English?

Iranians, Arabs, when they do study English extensively as we do, they learn it with a proper accent.The reason for them is, its a part of learning a foreign language. How ever, in Pakistan, we have issues with that?....

Edit1: I think some where down the line, we might have to decide which accent should we adopt and promote this foreign English language in, American or British? Those who are properly learning it, are probably thinking ahead of time. there might be a demand for such people in the international market.

On topic.

Punjabi is probably easier to speak, because grammatically it is almost identical. Even the vocabulary is kina same, it's just that you pronounce it differently...

Oye Punjab University mai jamatiya kya parhatay hon gaay. I heard from many that they make hell for others ! :pissed:

wasay butt sahab i hate Urdu. Its costing regional languages to be in danger. Before partition people spoke Farsi with outsiders and local languages with local community. These British rulers just changed the whole face of region by connecting us with India for a period of less than 150 years.

Friend Punjabis ie Rajputs, Jatts and Gujjars , Sindhis mainly Rajputs and Kashmiris are classified as Indian peoples. Yes races like Awan, Syeds, Abbasis are of Arab origin among Punjabis.

Friend Punjabis ie Rajputs, Jatts and Gujjars , Sindhis mainly Rajputs and Kashmiris are classified as Indian peoples. Yes races like Awan, Syeds, Abbasis are of Arab origin among Punjabis.

Yes and all of them are proud people...

Although i dnt know what gujjars are proud off... probably cows n stuff...:lol:

J/K!

In his day to day life, he spoke English, Sindhi and Gujrati.

The Bengalis are actually racially, and culturally linked to India, but it took us Pakistanis to impose a language which has no root or origin within our own.

Please give reference that Quaid Azam could speak sindhi?

Punjabis are also racially and culturally linked to India. Rajputs, Jatts and Gujjars are spread in millions all over northern and north western India particularly in states of Punjab, Haryana (famous as land of Jatts in India), Rajasthan (famous as land of Rajputs in India), Himachal Pradesh, Uttarakhand, UP, Madhya Pradesh. Moreover Bhangra, Basant, Gidda, etc are all also part and parcel of Punjabi Hindu and Sikh culture.

Punjabis are also racially and culturally linked to India. Bhangra, Basant, Gidda, etc are all also part and parcel of Punjabi Hindu and Sikh culture.

There is nothing like hindu or muslim culture (also gidda is not practised by Pakistani punjabis... iver never seen women do tht in punjab)...also traditions n culture vary from place to place... just like arab "belly dancing" has nothing to do with islam.

Punjabis are also racially and culturally linked to India. Bhangra, Basant, Gidda, etc are all also part and parcel of Punjabi Hindu and Sikh culture.

We do have Bhangra on weddings or other celebrations, Basant has been cancelled and made illegal in Punjab ( I agree with that), and I never heard of gidda before till some Indian mentioned it in on the forum.

I think the Arian ethnicity also traces its origins from the Arabs.

There are claims that many Arain descend from Arabs who came to India with the invading armies of Muhammad bin Qasim. Such claims are given credence by how nearly all Arain are, and have been, Sunni Muslim, much like the early Arabs accompanying Muhammad bin Qasim. This assertion is supported by numerous references made in several Urdu language texts — such as Tareekh-e-Arain, Sham Ta Multan, Tareekh Frishta, Tohfa Tul Ikram and Aina-e-Haqeekat Numa - that trace the lineage of many notable Arains including Chaudhry Muhammad Ali, Zia Ul-Haq, and the Mian Family of Bhaghbanpura. According to these sources, the word Arain is derived from Areeha which is the Arabic name for the city of Jericho in the West Bank, Palestinian Territory, the place from where they came

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arain

Back
Top Bottom