What's new

Punjabi Culture in the subcontinent and beyond….

why bro
@Multani is a good brother

Read his earlier posts where he called all Potoharis "the most beghairat of Punjabis" and "prostitutes in Multan". The reason being that kakezai kalaars in Potohar are considered low caste/class people. That kid thought it was my own opinion about Kalaars that they are low class when I was simply stating where they stand.

Back to punjabi culture in pakistan, Heer Waris shah is uncontested punjabi national epic for old cultural folks of indigenous punjabis of central parts of paksitani punjab, particularly in Rachna doab (area between Ravi and Chenab), he himself also belonged to Jandiala Sher khan that lies in Rachna Doab, Heer story is also from Jhang which lies in Sandal bar area of western Rachna Doab. Many elders in my childhood in our neighborhood in Gujranwala used to recite Heer Waris Shah and the audience used to enjoy it a lot.

In other areas they recite Heer with Raags which I don't like, But in Gujranwala and Gujrat area heer is sung in the style of "Alam Lohar".

Here is blood warming rendition of Heer Waris Shah by Sain Mushtaq of Lala musa Gujrat, the sound quality is poor but the punjabi flavor is there to enjoy.

Read his earlier posts where he called all Potoharis "the most beghairat of Punjabis" and "prostitutes in Multan". The reason being that kakezai kalaars in Potohar are considered low caste/class people. That kid thought it was my own opinion about Kalaars that they are low class when I was simply stating where they stand.

Interestingly Javed Ahmad Ghamidi is Kakezai pathan, few months ago he said NW tribals should be treated like red Indians. I remember many comments by pashtuns against daal khor punjabi Ghamdi lol

khan8_2679592.jpg

Pakistan's favourite Janjua. He's from Rawalpindi and a Janjua rajput. Which Indian states will he pass in?
I met his brother Haroon, really humble people.

Interestingly Javed Ahmad Ghamidi is Kakezai pathan, few months ago he said NW tribals should be treated like red Indians. I remember many comments by pashtuns against daal khor punjabi Ghamdi lol

You guys should write down some of the common surnames by zaat for Punjabis. Like what are surnames that only Punjabi Rajputs tend to use, Ghakkars, Jatts, etc.

You guys should write down some of the common surnames by zaat for Punjabis. Like what are surnames that only Punjabi Rajputs tend to use, Ghakkars, Jatts, etc.

In Gujranwala , Indigenous common punjabi muslim Rajputs have surnames like Bhatti, Manj, Chauhan. Bhattis are a confusing lot in Gujranwala, some identify as jatts also and freely intermarry with jatts of Gujranwala while others identify as rajputs and marry only rajputs. My friend's father is Sandhu jatt but his mother is Bhatti which shows intermixing with jatts. Chauhans are also confusing , some chauhans identify as Gujjars also but majority identify with rajputs , I believe. Manj on the other hand are very clear about their rajput only identity. Many use only "Rana" as their forename without using any surname, so don't have any idea about their actual clan names. Janjua and Ghakhar are pothohari Rajputs with very little presence in central parts of punjab.

Last edited:
what an ugly face
Let post your pic here and we compare it with amir khan to decide who is ugly and who is handsome between you two. Real man is known from his achievements not how he look. I dont think he posted his picture to prve that he is good loooking model

In Gujranwala , Indigenous common punjabi muslim Rajputs have surnames like Bhatti, Manj, Chauhan. Bhattis are a confusing lot in Gujranwala, some identify as jatts also and freely intermarry with jatts of Gujranwala while others identify as rajputs and marry only rajputs. My friend's father is Sandhu jatt but his mother is Bhatti which shows intermixing with jatts. Chauhans are also confusing , some chauhans identify as Gujjars also but majority identify with rajputs , I believe. Manj on the other hand are very clear about their rajput only identity. Many use only "Rana" as their forename without using any surname, so don't have any idea about their actual clan names. Janjua and Ghakhar are pothohari Rajputs with very little presence in central parts of punjab.

I have seen Bhattis and Ranas here no Chauhans or Manj. I have one Punjabi friend who has a surname Rasool, I have never heard of that surname before so I was wondering if any of you know which zaat uses such a surname? @Shabaz Sharif

Then of course I have met many Chaudrys.

I can give details of some tribes and clans under those tribes in my Gujranwala District which I am aware of in the following.

Tribe -- Jatt
Clans
-- Cheema, Chatha, Sandhu, Waraich, Virk, Goraya, Klair, Hanjra, Gondal, Tarar, Sipra, Kahlun, Sekhun, Dhillon, Bajwa, Wahla, Maitla, Sial, Baryar, Blaggan, Chahal, Sohal, Sahi, jajja, Ghumman, Buttar, Gill, Lak, Aulakh and many others :lol:, they are quite diverse and numerous in the villages of gujranwala

Tribe---Rajput
Clans--
Bhatti, Chauhan, Manj, joiya, Wattu, many use only Rana without any clan name

Tribe---Gujjar
Clans--
In gujranwala gujjars tend to use only gujjar as their identification , I am not aware of any clans of gujjars in gujranwala because they hardly use them.

Tribe---Arain
Clans--
Mehar, most identify only as arain so not aware of their internal clan structure

Tribe---Kashmiri
Clans--
Butt, Dar, Mir, Lone , khawaja etc.most tend to use Butt only as their surname :lol: so nothing brahmin in most kashmiri Butts in gujranwala

Tribe---Sheikh
Clans-- Majority of Sheikhs identify only as Sheikh, don't see them using their clan names

Tribe---Syed
Clans-- Most of them use only Syed and Shah as their forename or surname , some use also Gilani, Naqvi, Kazmi, moosvi, askari etc. surnames particularly those who are Shias.

Now some of the artisan clans who have taken up fake surnames are as follows,

Lohar, Tarkhan, Mistry -----use Mughal surname
Kumhar ----- call themselves Rehmani now (they did not take anyone else's identity)
Jolaha ----- use Ansari surname
Machi ------ use Khokhar surname
Teli --------- use Malik surnmae
Nai ------- tend to take the jatt clan names of their former villages
Barwala ----- were historically night watchmen , now would be faking some jatt or rajput surname
Dhobi, Darzi ----- have no idea what they are using but would be some taken up rajput or jatt clan names of their former villages etc.
Dholi ------- are called Dholi sheikhs, drum beaters were important section in villages in old times

Mirassi ----- use Qureshi surname, shia mirasi tend to fake as syeds too

Masalli ------ are called masalli they are converts from Chura/chammar dalit hindus or christians

The above is the account of surnames of Gujranwala's demography.

I have seen Bhattis and Ranas here no Chauhans or Manj. I have one Punjabi friend who has a surname Rasool, I have never heard of that surname before so I was wondering if any of you know which zaat uses such a surname? @Shabaz Sharif

This cannot be a surname or clan, this is arabic word "Rasool" simply part of his name. Rasool in arabic means prophet, many punjabi muslims have names like Ghulam Rasool.

Last edited:

i dont think Rasool is a surname. It is used like "ahmad"

Now the most famous cusine of the villages of Gujranwala and I believe in most of the rural parts of central punjab in pakistan, yes none other than "Saron Da Saag" (Mustard leaves) cooked with Desi Kiyo (desi ghee in urdu) and Makhan (butter). Saag is indeed the national dish of punjabi villagers and the families in cities whose origins lie in villages of central punjab.Many hardcore punjabis from villages will prefer "Saag" over meat dish on any day.

DSC_0279.JPG

Last edited:
@haj9211 @Multani

Please allow me to make a statement. It seems like there's been a mis-understanding between both of you. It's better to get over this mis-understanding and start afresh. Just a suggestion, don't mind .:cheers:

Stephen Gucciardi (American speaking Punjabi)

[youtube]

Gora sings Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan. (sanu ik pal)

[youtube]

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom