What's new

Punjabi Culture in the subcontinent and beyond….

Now the most famous cusine of the villages of Gujranwala and I believe in most of the rural parts of central punjab in pakistan, yes none other than "Saron Da Saag" (Mustard leaves) cooked with Desi Kiyo (desi ghee in urdu) and Makhan (butter). Saag is indeed the national dish of punjabi villagers and the families in cities whose origins lie in villages of central punjab.Many hardcore punjabis from villages will prefer "Saag" over meat dish on any day.

DSC_0279.JPG

So haters can call us "Saag khor" because "daal khor" never made any sense to me as every ethnicity on earth I have come across use some kind of "daal", bean or lentils in their diet. But frequent eating of "Saag" is indeed specific to punjabis only :lol:

Last edited:
So haters can call us "Saag khor" because "daal khor" never made any sense to me as every ethnicity on earth I have come across use some kind of "daal", bean or lentils in their diet. But frequent eating of "Saag" in indeed specific to punjabis only :lol:

:lol::lol: Interestingly, I've read that meat consumption in Pakistan has one of the highest rates of growth . Moreover it seems that meat consumption is tied to your wealth etc. So Pakistani Punjabis are big on meat. It seems that this stereotype comes from the fact that Afghans consider people of 'India' as vegetarians/bean eaters so they're lumping us in that category.

Madam Noor Jehan speaking Punjabi

Last edited:
Interestingly Javed Ahmad Ghamidi is Kakezai pathan, few months ago he said NW tribals should be treated like red Indians. I remember many comments by pashtuns against daal khor punjabi Ghamdi lol

Are Kasuri pathans also Kakezai? And lol at the irony.

Also can someone share "jaangli/jhangvi" dialect here? I heard a lot about it but never heard it.

Also can someone share "jaangli/jhangvi" dialect here? I heard a lot about it but never heard it.

No idea who are Kasuris, i was just reading about Kakezai pathans on wiki and turn out Ghamdi is Kakezai pathan. From the famous punjabi pathans, only IK keep reminding us of his ethnicity. Nationalists pashtuns/afghans also insult Hamid Gul and they don't know he is also punjabi pathan and neither did i couple of months ago. They basically blame daal khor punjabi Hamid Gul for enslaving Afghan pashtuns through Taliban.

So haters can call us "Saag khor" because "daal khor" never made any sense to me as every ethnicity on earth I have come across use some kind of "daal", bean or lentils in their diet. But frequent eating of "Saag" in indeed specific to punjabis only :lol:

Yes saag khor indeed suit us better.

Last edited:
No idea who are Kasuris, i was just reading about Kakezai pathans on wiki and turn out Ghamdi is Kakezai pathan. From the famous punjabi pathans, only IK keep reminding us of his ethnicity. Nationalists pashtuns/afghans also insult Hamid Gul and they don't know he is also punjabi pathan and neither did i couple of months ago. They basically blame daal khor punjabi Hamid Gul for enslaving Afghan pashtuns through Taliban.

Yes saag khor indeed suit us better.

Because he thinks he has got looks of pashtuns so he should be considered pashtun and not punjabi, he is a funny chap. Many pashtuns I see around me are dark too but his romantic love for pashtun ethnicity is purely based on being "white" and "good looking". :rofl:.

These guys are speaking the Jaangli/Jhangvi dialect, it has a strong influence of saraiki. It is principally spoken in Western parts of Rachna doab in area that was historically known as "Sandal Bar" , Bar means Jungle which is the reason why the dialect was called Jaangli dialect. It is spoken mainly in Jhang, Chiniot, Pindi Bhattian and other western parts of Hafizabad (eastern parts of Hafizabad speak standard punjabi of Gujranwala). A defining feature of this dialect is that they use the word "Morr" quite a lot in their sentences.

Last edited:
District-dialect-map-in-Punjab_Province-of-Pakistan.png

This dialect map is correct?

Apart from few exaggerations here and there (exaggeratin majhi/standard punjabi range) , for example I know for sure that most of the western parts of Hafizabad are "Jangvi/jaangli" with only eastern parts of Hafizabad adjoining Gujranwala being speakers of standard dialect of punjabi. In the south too, in places like Bahawlnagar and Khanewal, Vihari etc. they speak a langauge that is understandable to stadard punjabi but has strong saraiki influence. Never the less from my experience all the people in pakistani punjab (irrespective of their dialects) as well as Hazara and AJK are perfectly able to understand standard dialect spoken in central punjab, that is why punjabi stage dramas are hit eveywhere in punjab, Hazara and AJK :D

Last edited:
Today i saw my old friend facebook name, his last name is ''Dar'', o: never knew he was punjabi of Kashmiri origin before today. Well its not like before i knew Dar is Kashmiri surname anyway lol What is % of people using ''Butt'' and other surnames among Punjabis of Kashmiri origin? I am pretty sure most punjabis think only ''Butt'' are Kashmiri origin.

Today i saw my old friend facebook name, his last name is ''Dar'', o: never knew he was punjabi of Kashmiri origin before today. Well its not like before i knew Dar is Kashmiri surname anyway lol What is % of people using ''Butt'' and other surnames among Punjabis of Kashmiri origin? I am pretty sure most punjabis think only ''Butt'' are Kashmiri origin.

i have a Dar friend from Sialkot.

Kashmir valley muslims are not caste based society or people, after the introduction of islam and brutal persecution of anything hindu in first Shahmiri swati muslim dynasty every sign of hindu culture was eradicated by the state administration. It was totally different than what happened in for example punjab or sindh where indigenous culture was left untouched by turkic sultanates and mughals. Shahmiris on the otherhand were Afghans from Swat/Malakand and were clear about their objective that they will make Kashmir valley devoid of anything "hindu". Since the time of Shahmiris kashmiri muslims have been freely intermarrying each other irrespective of castes and tribes. So there was practically no difference left between kashmiri tribes like Butt, Dar, Lone , Wani, Mir, Rather, Tantray, Magray, Ganai, Naik, , pathan, syed, iranian settlers, afghan settlers, central asian settlers. Modern kashmiri muslims both in the valley and particularly those who are living in punjab are a highly mixed bunch of kashmiri castes and tribes. In punjab this mixing has gone to its extreme that may be the reason why kashmiris of punjab look now somewhat different than kashmiris in the valley. Somehow kashmiri surname "Butt" got popularity in punjab perhaps they were the oldest kashmiri settlers in punjab and it would happen that any later arrivals were also called "Butt" which they did not mind due to casteless society (for forward castes) of kashmiri muslims of the valley. Some however did keep their original tribal/caste names in tact that is why one still finds people with Dar , Mir, Lone, Khawaja etc. surnames among punjabis of kashmiri origin. Majority however just gave up their own surnames and adopted a more integrated kashmiri caste name in punjab which I believe was "Butt".
One reason that kashmiri muslims of valley resemble with afghans is due to their admixture with afghan settlers during more than 200 years of Shahmiri dynasty from 1339 to 1561 when many muslim settlers from all over iran , afghanistan and central asia were allowed to settle in kashmir by Shahmiri afghans. Many cultural resemblence between kashmiri muslims of the valley and afghans in dress code, life style, even music instruments like Rabab, Carpet making owe to Shahmiri afghans rule.

Last edited:
Kashmir valley muslims are not caste based society or people, after the introduction of islam and brutal persecution of anything hindu in first Shahmiri swati muslim dynasty every sign of hindu culture was eradicated by the state administration. It was totally different than what happened in for example punjab or sindh where indigenous culture was left untouched by turkic sultanates and mughals. Shahmiris on the otherhand were Afghans from Swat/Malakand and were clear about their objective that they will make Kashmir valley devoid of anything "hindu". Since the time of Shahmiris kashmiri muslims have been freely intermarrying each other irrespective of castes and tribes. So there was practically no difference left between kashmiri tribes like Butt, Dar, Lone , Wani, Tantray, Ganai, Naik, Mir, pathan, syeds, iranian settlers, afghan settlers, central asian settlers. Modern kashmiri muslims both in the valley and those who have migrated in punjab are a highly mixed bunch of kashmiri castes and tribes. Somehow kashmiri surname "Butt" got popularity in punjab perhaps they were the oldest kashmiri settlers in punjab and it would happen that any later arrivals were also called "Butt" which they did not mind due to casteless society (for forward castes) of kashmiri muslims of the valley. Some however did keep their original tribal/caste names in tact that is why one still find people with Dar , Mir, Lone, Khawaja etc. surnames among punjabis of kashmiri origin. Majority however just gave up their own surnames and adopted a more integrated kashmiri caste name in punjab which I believe was "Butt".

Some Khatris also use Khawaja surname right? Because its title?

Yes many punjabi sheikhs in gujranwala also use Khwaja as surname which is always confusing for kashmiri Khawajas. And yes it was title which was awarded to many kashmiri and perhaps some punjabi traders and merchants too during Mughal period.

One more thing some of our relatives who are kashmiri Dar/Mir family actually follow that crazy custom of pashtuns where they tie their newly born children using ropes. This shows the kind of mixing that took place between indigenous kashmiris and afghan settlers.
728622-newbornboy-1404004522-769-640x480.JPG

My cousin was tied exactly like this by his "Mir" grandmother when he was infant.

Yes many punjabi sheikhs in gujranwala also use Khwaja as surname which is always confusing for kashmiri Khawajas. And yes it was title which was awarded to many kashmiri and perhaps some punjabi traders and merchants too during Mughal period.

One more thing some of our relatives who are kashmiri Dar/Mir family actually follow that crazy custom of pashtuns where they tie their newly born children using ropes. This shows the kind of mixing that took place between indigenous kashmiris and afghan settlers.
728622-newbornboy-1404004522-769-640x480.JPG

My cousin was tied exactly like this by his "Mir" grandmother when he was infant.

I have seen this picture before but never noticed that child is actually tied :o

Punjabis are the most distinguished race in the whole central asian and subcontinenetal region. By far the most richest, developed , organised, instutionalised and intelligent. A warrior race by nature but also the most united in race and ethnicity.

Its a common saying with out Punjabis the whole region would have been a stoneage land.

Punjabis are the most distinguished race in the whole central asian and subcontinenetal region. By far the most richest, developed , organised, instutionalised and intelligent. A warrior race by nature but also the most united in race and ethnicity.

Its a common saying with out Punjabis the whole region would have been a stoneage land.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom