What's new

Punjab govt decides to celebrate basant

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://islamqa.info/en/answers/101404/ruling-on-celebrating-nowruz-persian-new-year

"The Muslims do not have any festivals which they celebrate except Eid al-Fitr and Eid al-Adha. Anything other than that is an innovated festival and it is not permissible to celebrate it.

Abu Dawood (1134) and an-Nasaa’i (1556) narrated that Anas (may Allah be pleased with him) said: When the Messenger of Allah (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) came to Madinah, they had two days on which they would play. He said: “What are these two days?” They said: We used to play on these days during the Jaahiliyyah. The Messenger of Allah (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) said: “Verily Allah has replaced them for you with something better than them: the day of (Eid) al-Adha and the day of (Eid) al-Fitr.” Classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in as-Silsilah as-Saheehah (2021).

Included under the heading of innovated festivals are: Nowruz, Mother’s Day, birthdays, national independence days, and so on."

See my previous post.

This Nasaa'i Hadith does not say it is "Haram" to celebrate any festival other than eid ...
Please provide a primary source (not a secondary opinion) categorically declaring it HARAM

Well, your perspective regarding it is quite wrong. Smartphones/electronics, cricket, hockey are all created by non-muslims, how can a self-respecting Musalman celebrate world cups and what not?...

Household items and communal activities are not the same as annual celebrations which hold no benefit you cannot equate the two. And modern-day advances in technology are based on previous Muslim achievements, such as the famous work of Al Khwarizmi (without him we wouldn't have Algorithms, and as a result no smartphones or advanced electronics of any kind).

The original reasons might be different, but why we Pakistani's celebrate it in spring is because of the weather. You can't do it in summer because of low wind flow and heat. You cant do it in winter because of cold and rain, you cant do it in autumn, because of dampness in wind and fast wind flow. That's why spring is chosen and the date for basant is set not because of some religious reason's but because of a committee, so that every one is on the same page. There have been various occasions when basant had to be postponed because of weather conditions. The reason it is on one day is to have maximum number of kites on the sky so that it doesn't get boring. So that you are in a continuous competition.

I don't care if people fly kites, so long as they don't do it as a celebration of Basant or treat it as an annual celebration I'm perfectly happy. Even if they do the latter, I'll just let them be. But the moment they start doing it and calling it Basant, I'm going to call them out on it because that's just stupid.

we have inherited after zia

Zia has been dead for a long time, stop blaming him for our woes.

If it were up to mullah's there wouldn't be any music, films, dramas, games, poetry etc.

They'd be okay with films, drama games and poetry so long as it doesn't have anything haram.

but basically the world sees you as long bearded, shouting, suicide bombing terrorists.

I don't particularly care how the world sees me.

This Nasaa'i Hadith does not say it is "Haram" to celebrate any festival other than eid

The Prophet (peace be upon him) literally told them to stop celebrating their festivals and to only celebrate Eid. That's pretty clear-cut

Please provide a primary source (not a secondary opinion) categorically declaring it HARAM

Scholarly consensus is just as important as what the texts say, since these people are the ones who have studied Islamic scripture. You would never just read a Biology book yourself and make up a prescription, no, you'd go to a doctor. Same principle applies here.

Not good bad move they should stop this and take a U-turn.

I'm mixed, but most of my family has settled in the Punjab and that therefore makes me Punjabi. Being a Punjabi is more of a geographical identity than anything else.

Agreed.

I don't speak Punjabi, and even if I did, you would do well to remember that almost all the great Punjabi poets (such as Fariduddin Masud, Bulleh Shah and Mian Muhammad Bakhsh) were Muslim, and that Shahmukhi was the traditional script used to write Punjabi before Gurmukhi was ever used. Lahore itself, the largest city in the Punjab, has always been a centre of Islamic power. The Ghaznavids, the Ghurids, the Mamluks, the Khilijis, the Mughals, etc, almost all of the Muslim empires of the region had Lahore as one of their most important cities. And of course, many people from the Punjab have faithfully fought in the army's of these Muslim empires and formed part of the aristocracy (such as Shahbaz Khan Kamboh or Wazir Khan) and many others are descended from those who migrated to the region during the Muslim conquests (such as the Awans).

It is haram to have any annual celebration other than the Eids. This has been recorded in multiple sahih hadiths and isn't up for debate (unless you want to just flat-out reject all hadiths, which is another topic in it's entirety).

Even if we were to assume this isn't the case, there's still the fact that this isn't our culture. It was invented by Ranjit Singh, the Sikh Empire's Maharaja. He and his empire were a sworn enemy of Muslims, and many Muslims from the Punjab fought against him bravely, such as Ahmed Khan Karral and Muqarrab Khan. To celebrate Basant is so stupid when it was invented by the people who literally oppressed Muslims on a massive scale.

Did I say flying kites is wrong? No. Stop trying to declare my views when I clearly stated what they are.

This is purely a tradition of either ignorant or beta Punjabis.

Like the rest of Pakistan, we're mixed. I personally find it much easier to just identify with the Muslims since they're the ones I'm most ideologically inclined towards, as well as the ones who are the most culturally similar to us.

The same "glorious kingdom" that turned Masjids into stables, banned the Azan and killed numerous Muslims.

Doesn't sound like Muslims played a huge part to me.

https://islamqa.info/en/answers/101404/ruling-on-celebrating-nowruz-persian-new-year

"The Muslims do not have any festivals which they celebrate except Eid al-Fitr and Eid al-Adha. Anything other than that is an innovated festival and it is not permissible to celebrate it.

Abu Dawood (1134) and an-Nasaa’i (1556) narrated that Anas (may Allah be pleased with him) said: When the Messenger of Allah (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) came to Madinah, they had two days on which they would play. He said: “What are these two days?” They said: We used to play on these days during the Jaahiliyyah. The Messenger of Allah (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) said: “Verily Allah has replaced them for you with something better than them: the day of (Eid) al-Adha and the day of (Eid) al-Fitr.” Classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in as-Silsilah as-Saheehah (2021).

Included under the heading of innovated festivals are: Nowruz, Mother’s Day, birthdays, national independence days, and so on."

See my previous post.

Agreed, so what's with the head banging?
Give me a quranic quote. Except your defeat and back off, before you say something that goes completely against your faith. Islam does not force us to stop practicing our cultures. Heck even the arabs the first converts had different cultures they followed.

Scholarly consensus is just as important as what the texts say, since these people are the ones who have studied Islamic scripture. You would never just read a Biology book yourself and make up a prescription, no, you'd go to a doctor. Same principle applies here.

Please provide a source that mentions such scholarly consensus,
As per the Holy Qur'an, 16:116, it's for Allah alone to declare something Haram or Halal

This Nasaa'i Hadith does not say it is "Haram" to celebrate any festival other than eid ...

So basically 12 rabi ul awal bhi haraam hai? Since any day celebrated apart from those days is haraam then why a third eid? The lighting and the pahariya. Major level of shirk I would say. AST

Open this thread. First poster who has amnesty supplied by PDF abuses Lahore as usual.

Basant was a pretty big festival before they banned it since the very week leading to basant was filled with kite flying and the chemical string...

In fact kite flying was massively discouraged which is why in the last few years we barely saw any kite flying or even kite market. Many over here are living outside Pakistan and don't know how much the decrease in kite flying has happened in these past years...

I will only say this. You cant say rubbish like gangadeshi and call yourself sons of Indus if you spit upon every cultural event that has risen from this land

Please provide a source that mentions such scholarly consensus

Common logic. They derive rulings from the text, not their own heads.

As per the Holy Qur'an, 16:116, it's for Allah alone to declare something Haram or Halal

Yes, and told his Prophet (peace be upon him) what is halal and haram, and this is documented via hadiths. Scholars tell us which hadith says what and explain it's context.

A hadith is more than sufficient, they are just as integral to our religion as the Quran.

And they stopped practising the parts which had nothing to do with Islam.
Yes like worshiping idols, I still see them wearing hanna and head jewelry. Please stop, your going around in circles. Also provide me a quranic quote.

So basically 12 rabi ul awal bhi haraam hai? Since any day celebrated apart from those days is haraam then why a third eid? The lighting and the pahariya. Major level of shirk I would say. AST

Open this thread. First poster who has amnesty supplied by PDF abuses Lahore as usual.

Basant was a pretty big festival before they banned it since the very week leading to basant was filled with kite flying and the chemical string...

In fact kite flying was massively discouraged which is why in the last few years we barely saw any kite flying or even kite market. Many over here are living outside Pakistan and don't know how much the decrease in kite flying has happened in these past years...

I will only say this. You cant say rubbish like gangadeshi and call yourself sons of Indus if you spit upon every cultural event that has risen from this land

No one from west comes for basant only people come from india and most indians not spend much like tourist from u.s and europe .It would be much better we arrange some educational competition of students and celebrate it as a festival it will attract people from all world and we invite students from all world and encourage them to discuss new innovative ideas this will lead to innovation and increase thinking level of local students who interact with foreign students
Why do Spain has Tomatina festival where they throw tomatoes or bull running competition.

Common logic. They derive rulings from the text, not their own heads.
Yes, and told his Prophet (peace be upon him) what is halal and haram, and this is documented via hadiths. Scholars tell us which hadith says what and explain it's context.

Quote primary sources, please
Do not try to pass off your opinion, or opinion of others, as word of God

Status
Not open for further replies.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom