What's new

Punjab govt decides to celebrate basant

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you identify as jahiliya times? From the food they eat to the dresses they wear are from the "jahiliya" times

I specifically referred to annual celebrations. Stop playing dumb.

Quote primary sources, please

I did. Here's another:

(Reported by al-Bukhaari and Muslim). The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) also said: “Whoever imitates a people is one of them.”

Camel races...you stop spreading your agenda. All I see you doing right now is attacking our history and culture.

Household items and communal activities are not the same as annual celebrations which hold no benefit you cannot equate the two. And modern-day advances in technology are based on previous Muslim achievements, such as the famous work of Al Khwarizmi (without him we wouldn't have Algorithms, and as a result no smartphones or advanced electronics of any kind).

I don't care if people fly kites, so long as they don't do it as a celebration of Basant or treat it as an annual celebration I'm perfectly happy. Even if they do the latter, I'll just let them be. But the moment they start doing it and calling it Basant, I'm going to call them out on it because that's just stupid.

Zia has been dead for a long time, stop blaming him for our woes.

They'd be okay with films, drama games and poetry so long as it doesn't have anything haram.

I don't particularly care how the world sees me.

The Prophet (peace be upon him) literally told them to stop celebrating their festivals and to only celebrate Eid. That's pretty clear-cut

Scholarly consensus is just as important as what the texts say, since these people are the ones who have studied Islamic scripture. You would never just read a Biology book yourself and make up a prescription, no, you'd go to a doctor. Same principle applies here.
Zia has been long dead yes.
But his ghost still lives in you and many others.
And he still haunt us bad.
And he would continue to haunt us in near future.
I am a practicing Muslim and I love my religion, but that doesn't mean that we cannot have our local culture.
Pakistan should have so much to offer.
We must celebrate our diversity.

I did. Here's another:

(Reported by al-Bukhaari and Muslim). The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) also said: “Whoever imitates a people is one of them.”

No, you did not.
Again, even this Hadith does not declare it "Haram" to celebrate any festival other than Eid.
Moreover, we are not imitating any people. We are the people. Proud Punjabis
Try harder

Zia has been long dead yes.
But his ghost still lives in you and many others.
And he still haunt us bad.
And he would continue to haunt us in near future.
I am a practicing Muslim and I love my religion, but that doesn't mean that we cannot have our local culture.
Pakistan should have so much to offer.
We must celebrate our diversity.
No, no brother what are you saying, only the arabs and other muslims have that luxury. We are to let go of our past and let our selves be blown around in the wind.

Punjabi is an ethnicity, Sikhism is a religion

And for a Muslim, religion comes first. If this is not the case, he doesn't understand La Illaha Il Allah.

The group of people we belong to is the Muslims.

Look here, you have all right to celebrate it or not, you are free to do so. Stop forcing and manipulating religion into it.

I'm not going to force people to not celebrate Basant, but I can and will express my discomfort with such a procedure taking place.

I'm not going to force people to not celebrate Basant, but I can and will express my discomfort with such a procedure taking place.
That crescent and star you have in ur image is also pre Islam. Take it down. What are you doing supporting something that was used be people in the times before Islam. I am honestly ashamed and hurt by your statements. How could the future generations be so blind? Our past generations had no issues with our centuries old cultures and you come around and attack them. You lack knowledge of your past as a people. Your people used to be something before islam too, they just didnt become muslims. They had a past and that is your past also.

And for a Muslim, religion comes first. If this is not the case, he doesn't understand La Illaha Il Allah.

The group of people we belong to is the Muslims.

Try telling that to Arabs, or Turks or Iranians .. They will show you your place

And there is a difference between Islam and Arab tribal culture which is obviously lost on you

We are Muslims and we are Punjabis .. No contradiction there

People on this thread confusing religion with culture again. :partay:

If you have a problem with people celebrating Basant, you can shove your face in the pillow and cry yourself to sleep. Your opinion does not matter.

Try telling that to Arabs, or Turks or Iranians .. They will show you your place

Ethno-nationalists are complete idiots, go and ask a religious Muslim from any of those countries and he will affirm my position. In fact, I'll tag one right now @Hakikat ve Hikmet

We are Muslims and we are Punjabis .. No contradiction there

You're creating one by celebrating a festival made by Ranjit Singh, the butcherer of Muslim Punjabis.

That crescent and star you have in ur image is also pre Islam. Take it down.

No, it's clearly quite different to the one used in jahiliya times. Here's what that one looks like:

iu

My symbol has always been associated with Muslims and Islam.

Our past generations had no issues with our centuries old cultures and you come around and attack them.

Our past generations were oppressed by the very people who's celebration you're cherishing.

Your people used to be something before islam too, they just didnt become muslims. They had a past and that is your past also.

Unlike others, I don't selectively choose where my past starts. I go back right to the beginning with Adam (peace be upon him).

Ethno-nationalists are complete idiots, go and ask a religious Muslim from any of those countries and he will affirm my position. In fact, I'll tag one right now @Hakikat ve Hikmet

You're creating one by celebrating a festival made by Ranjit Singh, the butcherer of Muslim Punjabis.

No, it's clearly quite different to the one used in jahiliya times. Here's what that one looks like:

iu

My symbol has always been associated with Muslims and Islam.

Our past generations were oppressed by the very people who's celebration you're cherishing.

Unlike others, I don't selectively choose where my past starts. I go back right to the beginning with Adam (peace be upon him).
Who said I'm selective? For all I know sources say that our past goes back to the the Jews of Egypt. Am I ashamed? No I'm proud of having a vibrant past. The very first muslims were also oppressed by the people that spoke their language. The moon and star is old very old, used be people that were not muslims. It was adopted my the Turks and many other peoples. So stop with your nonsense

Status
Not open for further replies.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom