What's new

Punjab govt decides to celebrate basant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do u understand what I am trying saying sir?

I understand, but that only means we should teach the Sikh Empire as being a part of Pakistani history. We should not celebrate any traditions they created since that's not only haram, but also incredibly stupid since most Pakistanis were Muslim by then.

what is this basant? im an punjabi arain never heard of this

It's just some festival Ranjit Singh made up, I don't know how any self-respecting Musalman could celebrate such an event (especially when it's considered haram for us to have any annual festivals other than eid).

Well, your perspective regarding it is quite wrong. Smartphones/electronics, cricket, hockey are all created by non-muslims, how can a self-respecting Musalman celebrate world cups and what not?...

The issue here is how basant is celebrated in our country. It is basically an un-organized skill based event and in this game there are no rules. The sky is battlefield and every kite in the sky except yours is the enemy, the goal of the event is to beat as many kites as you can while having fun doing so. Usually Chinese kite-flying is quite bland, people fly kite and they stand there reeling it out and reeling it in. But here in our culture it is a competition like kushti/wrestling etc.

The original reasons might be different, but why we Pakistani's celebrate it in spring is because of the weather. You can't do it in summer because of low wind flow and heat. You cant do it in winter because of cold and rain, you cant do it in autumn, because of dampness in wind and fast wind flow. That's why spring is chosen and the date for basant is set not because of some religious reason's but because of a committee, so that every one is on the same page. There have been various occasions when basant had to be postponed because of weather conditions. The reason it is on one day is to have maximum number of kites on the sky so that it doesn't get boring. So that you are in a continuous competition.

Plus it appeals to everyone. Even the poor can get into the fun, for them it's like fishing, all they have to do is wait and they can grab/loot other peoples kites. For boxing you need gloves, for cricket you need bat/ball, for football you need football, but for flying a kite, if you don't want to spend a dime, it's totally up to you.

All in all, it send's a positive/colorful image of the country. We need to loosen up a little bit, not because of our economic reasons but because of mullah extremist ideology that we have inherited after zia. If it were up to mullah's there wouldn't be any music, films, dramas, games, poetry etc. The world at first needs to see you as human. Baki, about faith, god works in mysterious way's, for some foreign people 'Tajdare Haram' naat by atif asalam might have introduced Islam to them, it reminds me of the incident where an MTV host became muslim after meeting Imran Khan, and I heard she was quite intrigued by nusrat fateh ali khan's qawali, that's what brought her in to do her research on Islam. I am going off the tangent here, but basically the world sees you as long bearded, shouting, suicide bombing terrorists. Now this image doesn't change over night with all the western media being against. So you need to lighten up your image as much as you can, be inclusive as much as you can. Faith, itna kacha bhi nahi hona chahiye k gana sunnany ya patang urana se toot jye..

I understand, but that only means we should teach the Sikh Empire as being a part of Pakistani history. We should not celebrate any traditions they created since that's not only haram, but also incredibly stupid since most Pakistanis were Muslim by then.

:hitwall:

umm.......well yes it should be taught because anything that happened in Pakistan is part of it's history.

umm.......well yes it should be taught because anything that happened in Pakistan is part of it's history.

Its basically a celebration of the coming of spring nothing to do with Sikhs or anything else. Good decision.

How is that haram? Why is that word so easily tossed around?! Also islam is a beautiful religion it celebrates cultural diversity, dont manipulate the religion, whilst not knowing anything about it. Sorry for the hard words, but enough is enough.

Well, your perspective regarding it is quite wrong. Smartphones/electronics, cricket, hockey are all created by non-muslims, how can a self-respecting Musalman celebrate world cups and what not?...

The issue here is how basant is celebrated in our country. It is basically an un-organized skill based event and in this game there are no rules. The sky is battlefield and every kite in the sky except yours is the enemy, the goal of the event is to beat as many kites as you can while having fun doing so. Usually Chinese kite-flying is quite bland, people fly kite and they stand there reeling it out and reeling it in. But here in our culture it is a competition like kushti/wrestling etc.

The original reasons might be different, but why we Pakistani's celebrate it in spring is because of the weather. You can't do it in summer because of low wind flow and heat. You cant do it in winter because of cold and rain, you cant do it in autumn, because of dampness in wind and fast wind flow. That's why spring is chosen and the date for basant is set not because of some religious reason's but because of a committee, so that every one is on the same page. There have been various occasions when basant had to be postponed because of weather conditions. The reason it is on one day is to have maximum number of kites on the sky so that it doesn't get boring. So that you are in a continuous competition.

Plus it appeals to everyone. Even the poor can get into the fun, for them it's like fishing, all they have to do is wait and they can grab/loot other peoples kites. For boxing you need gloves, for cricket you need bat/ball, for football you need football, but for flying a kite, if you don't want to spend a dime, it's totally up to you.

All in all, it send's a positive/colorful image of the country. We need to loosen up a little bit, not because of our economic reasons but because of mullah extremist ideology that we have inherited after zia. If it were up to mullah's there wouldn't be any music, films, dramas, games, poetry etc. The world at first needs to see you as human. Baki, about faith, god works in mysterious way's, for some foreign people 'Tajdare Haram' naat by atif asalam might have introduced Islam to them, it reminds me of the incident where an MTV host became muslim after meeting Imran Khan, and I heard she was quite intrigued by nusrat fateh ali khan's qawali, that's what brought her in to do her research on Islam. I am going off the tangent here, but basically the world sees you as long bearded, shouting, suicide bombing terrorists. Now this image doesn't change over night with all the western media being against. So you need to lighten up your image as much as you can, be inclusive as much as you can. Faith, itna kacha bhi nahi hona chahiye k gana sunnany ya patang urana se toot jye..
Preach brother, spread the message of cultural vibrancy

Bad decision.People are suffering from poverty and govt is promoting public to waste money on basant .It will lead to waste of money and death of people

Bad decision.People are suffering from poverty and govt is promoting public to waste money on basant .It will lead to waste of money and death of people
It will not lead to death, with proper governance of the kite strings, it will be fine. The last government or who ever banned it was lazy. Do u know how economy works my friend? Economy runs on the spending of money. Once the economy goes up then the state can help its poor people.

It will not lead to death, with proper governance of the kite strings, it will be fine. The last government or who ever banned it was lazy. Do u know how economy works my friend? Economy runs on the spending of money. Once the economy goes up then the state can help its poor people.
Spending should be on constructive manners like health,education kite flying adds nothing to our economy only benefit few people who are associated with this industry but in longrun it has no good impact on economy

Salamu Alaykum

I know plenty of Punjabis who fly kites frequently for fun (or at least, used to before smartphones came along) but I've never seen a Punjabi celebrate Basant. I had to Google what it even was. You're right, apparently it's really only a thing around Lahore and Kasur.

It's just some festival Ranjit Singh made up, I don't know how any self-respecting Musalman could celebrate such an event (especially when it's considered haram for us to have any annual festivals other than eid).
Why are you self respecting musalman still call yourself punjabi....before sikh take over Muslims used to speak Persian and have different culture..
Maharaja ranjit Singh punibized you. Denounce your punjabi ethnicity and language too you goofs.
Local people living in different countries even if they are Muslims are allowed to have their own local customs. It is not wrong in Islam..
Next you would be ordering fatwa on army parades or everything that is about celebration.
What could ho wrong in fly in kites. Does flying kites count as religion..?
This is purely a tradition of lahore.
And these ganjas have destroyed it.
If they stop all those mafia of chemical dor. We are all for it.
Embrace your culture , or denounce it.
You are people of this land. Not migrated from saudia Arabia.
You have your local language, histroy and culture. Remember that today peshawar and fata was won by ranjit Singh and he formed this glorious kingdom where Muslims too are huge part.

Spending should be on constructive manners like health,education kite flying adds nothing to our economy only benefit few people who are associated with this industry but in longrun it has no good impact on economy
Can you pea brain check that on the last basant in 1990s how much tourism came to Pakistan . You cannot even imagine that.
Don't mix a festival with basic necessities like education and health.
Considering the condition of education of our country, I can expect a comment like above from you.

Why are you self respecting musalman still call yourself punjabi....before sikh take over Muslims used to speak Persian and have different culture..
Maharaja ranjit Singh punibized you. Denounce your punjabi ethnicity and language too you goofs.
Local people living in different countries even if they are Muslims are allowed to have their own local customs. It is not wrong in Islam..
Next you would be ordering fatwa on army parades or everything that is about celebration.
And these ganjas have destroyed it.
If they stop all those mafia of chemical dor. We are all for it.
Embrace your culture , or denounce it.
You have your local language, histroy and culture. Remember that today peshawar and fata was won by ranjit Singh and he formed this glorious kingdom where Muslims too are huge part.

Can you pea brain check that on the last basant in 1990s how much tourism came to Pakistan . You cannot even imagine that.
Don't mix a festival with basic necessities like education and health.
Considering the condition of education of our country, I can expect a comment like above from you.
No one from west comes for basant only people come from india and most indians not spend much like tourist from u.s and europe .It would be much better we arrange some educational competition of students and celebrate it as a festival it will attract people from all world and we invite students from all world and encourage them to discuss new innovative ideas this will lead to innovation and increase thinking level of local students who interact with foreign students

Why are you self respecting musalman still call yourself punjabi

I'm mixed, but most of my family has settled in the Punjab and that therefore makes me Punjabi. Being a Punjabi is more of a geographical identity than anything else.

before sikh take over Muslims used to speak Persian and have different culture..

Agreed.

I don't speak Punjabi, and even if I did, you would do well to remember that almost all the great Punjabi poets (such as Fariduddin Masud, Bulleh Shah and Mian Muhammad Bakhsh) were Muslim, and that Shahmukhi was the traditional script used to write Punjabi before Gurmukhi was ever used. Lahore itself, the largest city in the Punjab, has always been a centre of Islamic power. The Ghaznavids, the Ghurids, the Mamluks, the Khilijis, the Mughals, etc, almost all of the Muslim empires of the region had Lahore as one of their most important cities. And of course, many people from the Punjab have faithfully fought in the army's of these Muslim empires and formed part of the aristocracy (such as Shahbaz Khan Kamboh or Wazir Khan) and many others are descended from those who migrated to the region during the Muslim conquests (such as the Awans).

It is haram to have any annual celebration other than the Eids. This has been recorded in multiple sahih hadiths and isn't up for debate (unless you want to just flat-out reject all hadiths, which is another topic in it's entirety).

Even if we were to assume this isn't the case, there's still the fact that this isn't our culture. It was invented by Ranjit Singh, the Sikh Empire's Maharaja. He and his empire were a sworn enemy of Muslims, and many Muslims from the Punjab fought against him bravely, such as Ahmed Khan Karral and Muqarrab Khan. To celebrate Basant is so stupid when it was invented by the people who literally oppressed Muslims on a massive scale.

Did I say flying kites is wrong? No. Stop trying to declare my views when I clearly stated what they are.

This is purely a tradition of either ignorant or beta Punjabis.

Like the rest of Pakistan, we're mixed. I personally find it much easier to just identify with the Muslims since they're the ones I'm most ideologically inclined towards, as well as the ones who are the most culturally similar to us.

this glorious kingdom where Muslims too are huge part.

The same "glorious kingdom" that turned Masjids into stables, banned the Azan and killed numerous Muslims.

Doesn't sound like Muslims played a huge part to me.

How is that haram?

https://islamqa.info/en/answers/101404/ruling-on-celebrating-nowruz-persian-new-year

"The Muslims do not have any festivals which they celebrate except Eid al-Fitr and Eid al-Adha. Anything other than that is an innovated festival and it is not permissible to celebrate it.

Abu Dawood (1134) and an-Nasaa’i (1556) narrated that Anas (may Allah be pleased with him) said: When the Messenger of Allah (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) came to Madinah, they had two days on which they would play. He said: “What are these two days?” They said: We used to play on these days during the Jaahiliyyah. The Messenger of Allah (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) said: “Verily Allah has replaced them for you with something better than them: the day of (Eid) al-Adha and the day of (Eid) al-Fitr.” Classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in as-Silsilah as-Saheehah (2021).

Included under the heading of innovated festivals are: Nowruz, Mother’s Day, birthdays, national independence days, and so on."

Source, please

See my previous post.

Agreed, so what's with the head banging?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom