What's new

PTI | Imran Khan's Political Desk.

21 or so.....hmmm....

Last edited by a moderator:
November 6, 2011

By Farhan Bokhari

Hope springs from cricket star

Imran Khan is increasingly seen by ordinary Pakistanis as their alternative choice for a leader

Two views of Pakistan's favourite sport — cricket, just in the past week, said much about the country's overall direction.

While cricket fans last week lamented the prison sentences handed down by a British court to three young Pakistani cricketers on charges of spot-fixing, Pakistan's best-known cricket star rose to the occasion in seeking to give a new direction to his native land.

Pakistanis looking to back a fresh and credible alternative to the country's well-tried and tested politicians received a welcome choice in the shape of Imran Khan, the celebrated cricket star turned philanthropist and politician.

More than 16 years after Khan stepped into Pakistan's politics by launching his ‘Tehreek-i-Insaaf' (Movement for Justice) political party, a mammoth gathering in response to his call in the central city of Lahore appeared to transform him from a fringe player to a mainstream political dweller — a force to be reckoned with.

Article continues below

It was a timely development for a country where mainstream political parties are ridden with tainted politicians. It should therefore be no surprise that Pakistanis have increasingly lost faith in the country's politics and politicians — a trend best illustrated by a consistent fall in the turnout of voters during successive parliamentary elections.

The sentences awarded to the three cricketers say much about not just the favourite Pakistani sport, but also about what has become of that sport. In sharp contrast to the days of Khan as captain of Pakistan's globally acknowledged team which bagged the World Cup, the fate of Pakistan's cricket today is not too different from the country itself.

The conviction of the three cricket players in Britain was justified, and it is a sad reflection on prevailing conditions in Pakistan itself.

But it would have been in the best interests of Pakistan if a trial and a conviction had taken place on the home turf, at least to prove that the South Asian country is capable of taking such a step on its own. While the conviction in Britain should have been an eye-opener for Pakistani sportspeople, the tragic reality is indeed a radically different one. Given the controversies surrounding cricket and the way it is managed in Pakistan, it is far from clear if the conviction will lead to a major overhaul of not just this game but other sports that were once the source of national pride.

However, the conditions surrounding cricket cannot be seen in isolation from the way Pakistan appears to be progressing. A country ruled mostly by tainted politicians and controversial political parties simply continues to fail in inspiring the mainstream in building hope for a better future.

All is not well

Anyone looking at the track record of the ruling regime brought to power in the elections of 2008, must see glaring examples of corruption that has now become a fact of life across Pakistan. Tragically, the country's ruling class simply fails to acknowledge this trend while it promises to set the pace for the next parliamentary elections, due by early 2013. But to any objective observer, it is clear that all is not well in Pakistan today.

In this background, it is hardly surprising that Imran Khan — not just the most celebrated cricket star but indeed the most celebrated Pakistani sportsman — appears to be gaining ground as the hope for a better future. To his credit is not just the creation of his Tehreek-i-Insaaf party. Of greater credit is indeed his successful establishment of the Shaukat Khanum cancer hospital in Lahore, built by Khan in memory of his late mother. Khan's journey which began with the hospital has taken him further to build a world-class university in one of Pakistan's most remote regions. These are accomplishments which clearly overshadow any similar achievements by Pakistan's mainstream politicians.

Perhaps his biggest plus point is that, unlike other Pakistani politicians, Khan has never been entrusted with the responsibility of running a government. Given that Pakistanis are clearly tired of the options that currently surround the country's politics, many appear to be turning favourably to a star who comes across with the best possible intentions for the future of his country. In a week of disappointment for Pakistan's cricket fans following the convictions in London, Khan is seen by many to be their alternative choice for a leader.

Farhan Bokhari is a Pakistan-based commentator who writes on political and economic matters.

gulfnews : Hope springs from cricket star

14 ex-ministers, including Tareen, to join Imran Khan
06 November,2011

NA_195_220.jpg

In first major shift on ground, 14 ex-ministers have announced intention to join Imran Khan’s PTI.

The 14 ministers include Jehangir Khan Tareen, former minister for industries, production and special initiative.

Tareen is in London these days. He told Dunya News over the phone that he had informed Imran Khan about the names of his group intending to join his party. Among the others who are joining the PTI include Awais Leghari, Ghulam Sarwar Khan, Ishaq Khakwani, Jamal Leghari and Sardar Tufail.

Most of the 14 former ministers seeking to join the PTI had been members of the PML-Q.They would formally announce their joining after Eid.

However, while their announcement would be a welcome step so far as polling is concerned because most of the aspirants are political heavyweights, yet it would be a test for Imran how he would adjust old faces with his slogan of change. He has earlier announced his party s parliamentary committee would decide who to give the party ticket to when the time comes.

Reports indicate that former foreign minister and PPP’s leader Shah Mehmood Qureshi is undecided on joining the PTI or not. It is said that Qureshi would more likely announce the decision as an individual, and not a group.

PTI chief Imran Khan, who has taken aback political stalwarts with his impressive rally in Lahore, had disclosed yesterday that 60 per cent of parliamentarians wanted to join his party.

14 ex-ministers, including Tareen, to join Imran Khan
06 November,2011

However, while their announcement would be a welcome step so far as polling is concerned because most of the aspirants are political heavyweights, yet it would be a test for Imran how he would adjust old faces with his slogan of change. He has earlier announced his party s parliamentary committee would decide who to give the party ticket to when the time comes.

PTI chief Imran Khan, who has taken aback political stalwarts with his impressive rally in Lahore, had disclosed yesterday that 60 per cent of parliamentarians wanted to join his party.

It is indeed a test of Imran Khan and his committee. I personally think he'll only choose a select few - clean and clear ones, and the doubtful ones would be given an option to declare and bring back their assets into Pakistan if they've to be in PTI.

I've heard rumors that even Shareef's and their lobbyist are busy in making an alliance with PTI - in Punjab only?

A must read for all PTI members and a worth pondering read for Imran Khan and his team.

15_01.gif

All Pakistani parties and the status quo can go on an alliance against PTI, to save their existing system of power - a glimpse of it has already been shown by MQM and PPP in Karachi last week. Who knows, tomorrow it could be All vs PTI.

Who

And here I am thinking, can PTI clean sweep the next elections? Do they even have candidates in Sindh, Balochistan or Southern Punjab for that matter? Is it going to remain the party of unsullied eggs if the likes of Shah Mehmood Qureshi and Mushahid Hussain join it? And let’s not forget, even if they don’t make an alliance with any party at the moment, won’t they inevitably have to after the elections? Then, who will it be with? Cracking the shell in two, if PTI just ends up placing a pixie dent in PML(N)’s electorate bum, who will benefit from that? Should PPP support PTI for future dharnas in Punjab?
Even if rumour has it, I will have the facts on the rocks: the establishment always assures that there are no hurdles when they support someone in a vested cause. Keeping in mind that it’s Shahbaz Sharif’s government in Punjab, Imran Khan’s impeccably smooth jalsa in Lahore is an unmistakable indication of the above; his peaceful protest against drones in Peshawar is the other. Also, Mian Nawaz’s perpetual grudge against the army was evident in the APC when he addressed General Kayani by saying where there’s smoke there’s fire. That can be taken as acknowledging the US point of view to some extent and the beef in the establishment’s ‘kosher’ menu card. With Sharif’s guns trained on them, maybe the powers that be are looking for other props?
Moving on, Imran Khan is very determined about keeping a check on the assets of the current political figures. But shouldn’t these good intentions begin at home? A well-known political analyst from PTI said that Imran’s annual income culminates to 2 crores from which he donates around 1 crore to Shaukat Khanum and other non-profit institutions. But one can’t but have conjectures about where the dough is coming from for all his campaigning. The lighting at Minar-i-Pakistan that day was very well. And then there was the new campaign style introduced by IK - inviting singers to jalsas and covering their boarding and lodging. There were also the caravan of floaters (publicity vans) that roamed around the city with Imran’s posters. These ring a bell in one’s mind about the finances. Given Imran’s insistence that party members aren’t rich enough, one has to ask: where is the money coming from?[/SIZE] Imran Khan also announced his visit to China during his jalsa to which he went and quietly ironically (I must consider it situational irony) he came back on a private plane which seemed to be arranged by state authorities. In what capacity did he go there? A couple of days prior to the eye-opening and white-washing jalsa, China seemingly put Pakistan in a critical position (Though not embarrassing) by asking for establishing military bases in FATA, definitely to counter the rising danger of extremism in Xinxiang. Imran, perhaps would have to take a contradictory position if he agreed to the “demands” put forward by China. Imran would be supporting the Taliban for their cause in Afghanistan and simultaneously would be discouraging Muslim separatists in Xinxiang. If he goes to Saudi Arabia or the Middle East after this, won’t it be more conclusive that he is playing in the hands of the establishment?
I was terribly disappointed with some analysts as they predicted Imran denting both right- and left-wing vote banks by offering prayers on stage and then letting the musicians play music before his speech. Is playing music all that is required to prove your ‘liberal’ ‘leftist’ credentials? These things once meant entirely something else. That it has come down to this tells us a lot.

The writer is a member of the band Beygairat Brigade that has recently released the single Aaloo Anday.

It is indeed a test of Imran Khan and his committee. I personally think he'll only choose a select few - clean and clear ones, and the doubtful ones would be given an option to declare and bring back their assets into Pakistan if they've to be in PTI.

I've heard rumors that even Shareef's and their lobbyist are busy in making an alliance with PTI - in Punjab only?

Yes, Nawaz ( who is in hiding nowadays from media) has asked his boys to try for some agreement with PTI.

I am sure even if "PTI parliamentary committee" would give ticket to some notorious guy, the Insafians would resist and change their decision... insafians are a sort of a pressure group that would keep PTI on right track.

and InshAllah with Allah's help IK wont be taking any wrong decision anyway.

Yes, Nawaz ( who is in hiding nowadays from media) has asked his boys to try for some agreement with PTI.

I am sure even if "PTI parliamentary committee" would give ticket to some notorious guy, the Insafians would resist and change their decision... insafians are a sort of a pressure group that would keep PTI on right track.

and InshAllah with Allah's help IK wont be taking any wrong decision anyway.

He's got smart and intellectual people in his committee - and it will always be a calculated risk to offer party tickets to a select few from different other parties.

I personally sometimes think, if the slogan is of change, then PTI should not get anyone from any party - but again it's politics, and a 100 Jackals and 1 lion as their leader comes into mind - a very famous saying by IK himself, which eases me a bit as to Okay, IK knows how to make full use of others in crucial and needy times.

305245_155792587853420_135011623264850_240062_395077957_n.jpg

In 1995, Imran Khan helped British TV personality Kristiane Backer convert to Islam by introducing her to the religion. She's revealed this to The Independent newspaper. Her story was recently published in a book entitled "From MTV to Mecca, how Islam changed my life."

“I was lost but now I’m found” In the early 1990s Kristiane Backer was one of the very first presenters on MTV (Europe). For some years she lived and breathed the international music scene quickly gaining a cult following amongst viewers and becoming a darling of the European press. As she reached the pinnacle of her success she realized that, despite having all she could have wished for, she was never truly satisfied. Something very important was missing.

Through a fateful meeting with the famous cricketer Imran Khan she travelled to Pakistan where she encountered a completely different world to the one she knew, the religion and culture of Islam. In place of the stars of the pop scene she was meeting men and women whose lives were dominated by the love of God, men and women who cared very little for the brief glories of this world. She began to read the Koran and to study books about the Faith. A few years later (in 1995), after travelling more widely in the Islamic world and knowing that she had discovered her spiritual path, she embraced Islam in a London mosque. In this private memoir Kristiane Backer tells the story of her conversion and explains how faith at last gave her inner peace and the meaning she had sought.

384784_235684043158638_142178665842510_651346_775399815_n.jpg

We Love you Imran Khan

He's got smart and intellectual people in his committee - and it will always be a calculated risk to offer party tickets to a select few from different other parties.

I personally sometimes think, if the slogan is of change, then PTI should not get anyone from any party - but again it's politics, and a 100 Jackals and 1 lion as their leader comes into mind - a very famous saying by IK himself, which eases me a bit as to Okay, IK knows how to make full use of others in crucial and needy times.

I think on the whole Hasan Nisar analysed best IK/PTI, and I really hope he takes a solo flight, and apparently it seems IK is not in control of anyone, neither establishment nor any other group, and he trusts PTI leadership and not these wannabe Insafians.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom