What's new

PTI | Imran Khan's Political Desk.

Chairman condemns blast at CID Head resident in DHA Karachi

Chairman Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf Imran Khan & PTI Sindh President Naeem Ul Haque have strongly condemned the suicide attack at resident of Head CID Aslam Chauhdry in Karachi and have called the act inhuman and barbaric. PTI leaders prayed for the salvation of the deceased and extended condolences to the bereaved families.

Yes we Khan
By George Fulton
Published: September 21, 2011

The writer lived for several years in Pakistan, working for various TV channels such as Geo and Aaj. He has now moved back to the UK and does freelance consultancy work

Would Imran Khan make a good prime minister for Pakistan? It’s a question that draws strong views from all sides of the Pakistani political spectrum. He’s a polarising candidate: you either love him or hate him. For many, the cricketing hero, turned social justice campaigner, induces paeans of passion. Others deride him as a Taliban stooge. However, there are a few of us still vacillating over his suitability as a leader.

He was in Britain this week, promoting his new book, Pakistan: A Personal History and gave an in-depth interview to The Guardian. The interview displayed all the best and worst of King Khan. On the negative side, we saw the egotism, stubbornness and political naivety. Yet, he also exhibited passion (and compassion for his countrymen), purpose and immense bravery. One suddenly realised what an immense toil this man’s decision to enter politics has had on his life. He has sacrificed his marriage, and thus access to his two boys, for the sake of his country. Life after cricket could have been an endless merry-go-round of endorsements, commentary and Chelsea homes. Lord knows he had earned it. That would have been the easy option. Instead, he chose “Kamran Khan kay sath,” Islamabad and the grubbiness of politics. For that he should earn our respect. He is clearly a decent, honourable and a good man, in a country lacking few genuine inspirational role models. Yet, I, like many, still find it hard to support him.

Firstly, let’s take the egotism. Imran Khan and the Pakistan Tehreek-i-Insaf (PTI) are interchangeable. Without the former, there is no latter. In the 15 years since its inception, he has failed to make the party anything other than a party for his political aspirations. So closely are the party and its leader aligned in the public image that the PTI may as well call itself the Imran Khan party. Unlike a Lincoln or an Obama, he has failed to reach across the aisle attracting real political talent. Could Imran open his arms to the Pakistani equivalent of Hillary Clinton or Robert Gates? (And I don’t count Shireen Mazari as talent.) This is not a party of intellectuals or political heavyweights. It’s a party of yes-men, doing the bidding of their chairman. This is not leadership. Instead, it demonstrates either a fatal inability to attract talented people, or insecurity in one’s own ability. How can he prevail in negotiations with fellow statesmen when he’s unable to attract people of serious calibre?

Flashes of the same egotism that he displayed after winning the World Cup — talking about himself rather than his team — were also present in The Guardian interview. Here he was discussing cutting deals with other parties: “The old parties are all petrified of me now. They all want to make alliances with me and I say: ‘No, I’m going to fight all of you together because you’re all the same.’” This is a serious problem for Khan. His pronouns need to change if he’s truly to inspire — more we and less me. For all his talk of being a radical outsider fighting a corrupt elite, he often comes across as just another strong man out to save Pakistan. A Bhutto or a Musharraf could have uttered that very same sentence. We need leaders who can develop teams, parties and institutions, not another man with a messiah complex.

Then there’s his political idealism, bordering on naivety. He wants to cut foreign aid, cut expenditure, tax the rich and fight corruption. All admirable goals, no doubt, but somewhat politically unrealistic — at least in the short-term. Withdrawing 20 billion of foreign aid overnight would be potentially calamitous for an economy already perilously close to bankruptcy. Improving Pakistan’s infamously low tax-to-GDP ratio above nine per cent will not be aided by a tanking economy. And how would his party achieve the goals of fighting corruption and taxing the rich without the money to invest in the necessary infrastructure?

On foreign affairs, he displays similar inexperience. He’s no Taliban supporter or stooge. That is clearly ridiculous. But he is woefully naïve when he claims he wants to withdraw from the war on terror. Fair enough, you may think. It’s unpopular and has cost Pakistan dearly in terms of lives and lost investment. But would retreat actually stop the killings in Pakistan? The Tehreek-i–Taliban and Lashkar-e-Taiba will not suddenly shut up shop once the PTI is in power and just because the US becomes persona non grata in Islamabad. Instead, Khan would be sending a dangerous message to such groups. Violence against your own people works. And when it came to promoting his own policies, such as regional peace with India, eliminating unchecked power to state agencies, or achieving 100 per cent immunisation for children against preventable diseases, could he count on the support of such regressive and militant organizations? That’s the problem with Khan. He lives in a Chomskyite fantasy world, which assumes all killing will cease upon the withdrawal of those nasty neo-imperialists in Afghanistan. His party’s manifesto conspicuously fails to mention Pakistan’s homegrown problem with terrorism or, for that matter, the ethnic and sectarian violence that is currently plaguing the country. Nor does he have a solution to any of these problems. Withdrawing the support for the US war in Afghanistan does not constitute a counter terrorism strategy for Pakistan.

Let’s give Khan the benefit of the doubt here. His policy statements could be the announcements of a wily politician. Perhaps he’s performing the old trick of canvassing on idealism — attracting students and the disaffected — only to govern with pragmatism and realism upon election. However, this is unlikely. Imran Khan does not do wile, guile or irony. He is a man who says what he believes and believes what he says. Good for a doctor, less so for a politician. Like the Liberal Democrats in the UK, or perhaps the unworldly Obama supporters, is he really ready for the responsibility and concessions of government? Or does he secretly prefer his perennial outsider status, untainted by the grubbiness of compromise?

So would this courageous, decent and good man make a first-rate prime minster? Time may tell. But leading a country is a lot more difficult than leading a cricket team

Precisely my problem with IK.. to much of him in his party.
Too much ego..

Precisely my problem with IK.. to much of him in his party.
Too much ego..

There is a bet between me and my friend. He says PTI will take 20 seats overall in PA and NA combine and I say it will be 10 and we will both vote to PTI. It's not that we are pro PTI as in last election he voted for PML(N) and i was in qatar at that time, but supported PML(Q). it's just we are fed up of 2 decades of same faces with corruption and violence medals on their chests.This time we see a face which is at least honest and dedicated on the paper and we want to try that new face for the sake of experimentation.

Now I think, when IK reaches NA or PA, he will become mature gradually. A person can not learn swimming unless he is thrown in to water

There is a bet between me and my friend. He says PTI will take 20 seats overall in PA and NA combine and I say it will be 10 and we will both vote to PTI. It's not that we are pro PTI as in last election he voted for PML(N) and i was in qatar at that time, but supported PML(Q). it's just we are fed up of 2 decades of same faces with corruption and violence medals on their chests.This time we see a face which is at least honest and dedicated on the paper and we want to try that new face for the sake of experimentation.

Now I think, when IK reaches NA or PA, he will become mature gradually. A person can not learn swimming unless he is thrown in to water

5 seats or more from Lahore in the next elections will turn PTI into the biggest political party in 2018 elections.

challenges that PTI has taken for itself require time...but Pakistan is a land of political dramas, you never know what may happen, a day before the elections can turn voter mind, like we say 70% the elections depend on the mood of the masses on election day.

Imran yet to stand the test of time

Taimur Shaique Hussain

According to a recent research conducted by PEW, Imran Khan was polled the victor among various choices offered for the slot of the most popular political leader within Pakistan. It has also been believed for some time now that his political wing, the Pakistan Tehrik-i-Insaf (PTI) is, perhaps, the fastest growing political party in Pakistan.

Many believe, among others, that PTI houses the largest student political wing, the Insaf Students’ Federation, and also the largest following on Facebook, and other social media. Given the fact that approximately 65 percent of Pakistan’s population is under the age of 30 years, and given the Election Commission’s renewed Voter Registration or Deletion Drive, it would be little wonder if all these disciples of the PTI, and of its charismatic Chairman, Imran Khan, are systematically converted into potential and registered voters. Technological innovation, participation of youth, and a sense of revolutionary change appear to be the enduring hallmarks of the PTI ever since the early 1990s when no less than millions of “Imran’s Tigers” sprung to life, rallied around a lone call from him, and got to work on the SKMT project. Now the party brings its message, appeal, and membership possibility to every Pakistani, who spares 30 odd seconds to sms their name and city of residence to 80022.

The 80022 campaign began hardly a few weeks ago. Already, in excess of 350,000 people have enrolled as PTI members! And this has happened without any official marketing or sales campaign, and through exclusive reliance on factors such as word-of-mouth and every Pakistani’s emotions, feelings, and urge to be part, in one manner or another, of not only PTI as a political party, but also social revolution. It is approximated that about 100 million mobile phone users reside within our country, and this may be a revolutionary method for service-centred groups to distribute their services.

It appears surprising that while the PTI is increasing membership at an exponential rate, other parties that tried to replicate this seem to be failing dismally, despite large outlays on marketing. Perhaps, as the PEW research may indicate, no other political party in Pakistan shares the sheer appeal that is typical of the PTI, Pakistan’s only viable alternative to status quo politicians, both treasury and opposition.

According to party spokespeople, “Our tech savvy, alternative, and young party plans in future to conduct most of its normal business, be it voter registration or political campaigning, through memberships on the 80022 number.” While political opponents had previously been critical of technology, social media, and electronic media as viable methods to build an electoral bank, the PTI continued day-after-day through dedicated workers, youth, students, and women to build upon what today appears the PTI’s core strength. While the Election Commission is likely to chuck out about 37 million bogus votes from the voters’ list, thus hurting traditional parties historically benefiting from those ‘hollow’ votes, the new pool of voters registered is likely to have a heavy quantum of these same social-media-using youth, who plugged into their computers night after night to follow every word from Imran Khan and PTI! These “hidden” pockets of support may more than likely be converted into concrete, congregated votes.

With every other party having taken various turns in governance and having failed, rather miserably every single time, the PTI still brings a stellar record in social services, politics, and preservation of core ideology. PTI spokespeople urge everyone in the nation to please experience the change in grassroots politics, and be a part of the revolution that is silently spreading across the entire length and breadth of Pakistan. They claim that they have “brought you your party to your fingertips – only your name and a city of residence to be sms-ed to 80022!”
Being part of a global movement in welfare, education, social causes, health, and politics has never been so easy!

The writer was former editor of Aitchisonian - Centenary Anthology, and ex-senior editor of Wharton Journal.

Email: taimurtsh@gmail.com

Defaming PTI by sending anonymous abusive emails to Journalists...

Islamabad: Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf Central Information Secretary Omar Sarfaraz Cheema has said that PTI has always welcomed positive criticism and people afraid of PTI are using PTI's name to defame it's popularity.

Omar Cheema was responding to the recent propaganda against PTI by the opposers to defame PTI's popularity by sending abusing text SMS to media personnel by the name of PTI. Omar Cheema said that PTI has not groomed its worker to use harsh language against anyone and if someone is using abusing language s/he has no linkage with PTI. He stressed that PTI's "Hakumat Hatao Mulk Bachao" campaign is on it's peak in Punjab province and our opposers cannot tarnish PTI image in the public by using such unethical tactics.

Source: http://insaf.pk/News/tabid/60/articl...ar-Cheema.aspx

321148_10150306316384527_151626539526_7850993_1347422091_n.jpg

2_IK%20pic.jpg

---------- Post added at 01:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:00 PM ----------

GUJRANWALA_Chairman_Pakistan_33182.jpg

---------- Post added at 01:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:00 PM ----------

01_03.gif

---------- Post added at 01:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:01 PM ----------

1101339874-1.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom