What's new

Featured Project Azm: Pakistan's Ambitious Quest to Develop 5th Generation Military Technologies.

If AZM ends up being a medium weight fighter then can RD-93MA be a good enough engine for it in terms of performance? If the performance is there then shouldn't it be a great fit as it would save PAF a lot of money as PAF already operates RD-93?

@Bilal Khan (Quwa) @JamD @messiach @SQ8
That would be the ideal result since the J-31 used the same. However, it may turn out that a single uprated or dual derated version of the J-10Cs powerplant end up as the primary powerplant.
In either case, once should never repeat the mistakes of airforces trying to use multiple aircraft types and powerplants - the Qataris will realize this eventually(although their goals of procurement have a diplomatic swing to it) The cost savings in logistics are massive in commonality.

Even if PAC makes the airframe for AZM. The engines will come from abroad. Either China or Russia. Engines could be very similar or common for AZM and the new Russian AC.
Why russian stealth jet stop AZM, for Pakistan Chinese j31 is more favorable then russian or even turkish, Pakistan is no way go to impose CAATSA on them.
Only thing that can be taken is its engine if its proven to be more efficient then Chinese

That would be the ideal result since the J-31 used the same. However, it may turn out that a single uprated or dual derated version of the J-10Cs powerplant end up as the primary powerplant.
In either case, once should never repeat the mistakes of airforces trying to use multiple aircraft types and powerplants - the Qataris will realize this eventually(although their goals of procurement have a diplomatic swing to it) The cost savings in logistics are massive in commonality.
Please forgive my ignorance, wouldn't 2 WS-10s make more sense if AZM would be a heavy weight fighter? What would be the weight class of AZM according to you?

The current goal for AZM is twin-engine, but if they're bifurcating it into two -- i.e. a twin-engine heavy for strike and maritime ops and a light/medium single to basically supplant the JF-17 farther out -- I'm game. But tbh, if the J-10CE is coming, then I guess that would be the de facto light/medium, and AZM a twin engine using the same type of powerplant.

I am personally intrigued with AZM either as a reduced RCS 4.5 gen AC to replace F-16 or a bigger stealthier AC with maritime strike capability.

Taking the F-16 adding DSI, RAM and a 4 poster tail for lower RSC is quite possible for PAC. This would require a single larger Chinese or Russian engine. This would overcome some of the deficiencies in JF-17 being under powered.

1626637075843.png

(Fanboy Concept)

Last edited:
I am personally intrigued with AZM either as a reduced RCS 4.5 gen AC to replace F-16 or a bigger stealthier AC with maritime strike capability.

Taking the F-16 adding DSI, RAM and a 4 poster tail for lower RSC is quite possible for PAC. This would require a single larger Chinese or Russian engine. This would overcome some of the deficiencies in JF-17 being under powered.
In fact the TAI is following the same approach for TFX. The 1st block will be like 4.5++ gen...

More emphasis are on AA missiles (classical + Ramjet), smart munitions, 360 EW coverage etc....

my understanding is that Project AZM is targetting 5.5 Gen technology as it seems PAF knows it will take time for the aircraft to come together and at that time, laser weapons, EW and drones (unmanned wingman) will be part of the game.

I am not sure if we can make such a technological/capability jump but fingers crossed.

my understanding is that Project AZM is targetting 5.5 Gen technology as it seems PAF knows it will take time for the aircraft to come together and at that time, laser weapons, EW and drones (unmanned wingman) will be part of the game.

I am not sure if we can make such a technological/capability jump but fingers crossed.
That's why I would hedge and keep an option that has higher possibility...like modifying the F-16 airframe.

In fact the TAI is following the same approach for TFX. The 1st block will be like 4.5++ gen...

More emphasis are on AA missiles (classical + Ramjet), smart munitions, 360 EW coverage etc....

Are you sure? If I am not wrong, TFX is 5th Gen from start.

I wonder if these brilliant minds will be lost because nowhere in Pakistan will provide them their needs
Not all 5th gen specs like super cruise etc. can be included in the 1st block. Hence, the prototypes will have the F16 engines from GE....

As the years pass 5th gen becomes less alien and more common.

Remember that YF23 that we saw in the videos? Turns out that is actually the design being worked on. A design cycle will end by next year, after which foreign partner(s) are being sought for going the rest of the way.
IMO...if this comes to pass, then I'd expect to see the PAF order J-10CEs for sure. Even with China as the principal partner, a new original design is going to take a while.
I wonder if these brilliant minds will be lost because nowhere in Pakistan will provide them their needs
IIRC (and @JamD can correct me) if these kids turn out to be any good, they'll be able to get entry/mid-level jobs in Pakistan. The real trouble starts when they're not good with just chilling but want to drive the industry forward by instituting new ideas and ways of doing things. So they move on.

Back
Top Bottom