What's new

Featured Project Azm: Pakistan's Ambitious Quest to Develop 5th Generation Military Technologies.

Does this brings it closer?

View attachment 668145
Are we playing a game?

What is this fixation with finding more about the AZM fighter design? Do you want someone to spill beans just so that IAF can start thinking about its strengths and starts planning around those? All the drool in the world is not worth it my friend.

Once the design is committed (I think it has been), PAF would allow it to be show-cased at some point. Just wait.

Are we playing a game?

What is this fixation with finding more about the AZM fighter design? Do you want someone to spill beans just so that IAF can start thinking about its strengths and starts planning around those? All the drool in the world is not worth it my friend.

Once the design is committed (I think it has been), PAF would allow it to be show-cased at some point. Just wait.
The PAF would probably reveal it once the prototype enters production.

While we can only guess and make assumptions to the best, how about a design in mix of YF-23 to tempest or F-22 but with single engine.:what:

While we can only guess and make assumptions to the best, how about a design in mix of YF-23 to tempest or F-22 but with single engine.:what:

I doubt a single engine might not be able to achieve super cruise. F-35 can do it because it's engine outputs a thrust of 28k lbf without afterburner. I don't think we have access to this level of engine capability from China.

I doubt a single engine might not be able to achieve super cruise. F-35 can do it because it's engine outputs a thrust of 28k lbf without afterburner. I don't think we have access to this level of engine capability from China.
F135 engine can produce 191 kN (43,000 lbf) of thrust. The WS-15 will be able to produce around 180 kN, although I think it will take time for Pakistan to get it since it won't even be available for mass production for the Chinese until a couple of years later. With that being said, I'm not sure why Pakistan needs to go the single engine route anyway.

F135 engine can produce 191 kN (43,000 lbf) of thrust. The WS-15 will be able to produce around 180 kN, although I think it will take time for Pakistan to get it since it won't even be available for mass production for the Chinese until a couple of years later. With that being said, I'm not sure why Pakistan needs to go the single engine route anyway.
F135 produces 43k lbf with afterburner.

Best bet is to have two WS-13 or RD-93 on the AZM. Will also make life easier since the Thunder uses/will use those engines.

F135 produces 43k lbf with afterburner.

Best bet is to have two WS-13 or RD-93 on the AZM. Will also make life easier since the Thunder uses/will use those engines.
WS-19 will be available by the time AZM enters prototyping stage. It will be able to generate 10 tonnes of thrust and have a T/W ratio of 10 ... it is also built for supercruise unlike the F135 (which has a high bypass ratio). I don't think suitable engines will be a problem for the AZM at all given the faster than expected progress of the WS-19.

WS-19 will be available by the time AZM enters prototyping stage. It will be able to generate 10 tonnes of thrust and have a T/W ratio of 10 ... it is also built for supercruise unlike the F135 (which has a high bypass ratio). I don't think suitable engines will be a problem for the AZM at all given the faster than expected progress of the WS-19.
The engine choice will say a lot about AZM.

Remember, the requirement is for a twin-engine design with super-cruising.

IMO ... if it's the WS-19, then the PAF is clearly looking at a medium-weight fighter. But while having an in-house fighter is admirable and all, what would be the point if there's also the similar J-35? You can certainly roll the two into one, but as we clearly see from the concepts, AZM isn't (at least for now) a J-31-derived design.

However, if they select a WS-10 variant or WS-15, then the PAF is looking at a heavyweight.

In that case, the PAF is clearly fulfilling a need it'd unlikely be able to fill with an import (as buying such fighters from abroad is either not an option, or too expensive). But it'd also be infeasible to center the entire fleet on that large a jet, so that opens the door up to a medium-weight.

How about ...

2030-2045: J-35 as a mainstay medium-weight (120~180 units)?
2035-2045: AZM as a deep-strike-capable 5+ gen platform (50~90 units)?

This outcome also makes some industrial sense too. If Pakistan is manufacturing the AZM turn-key (even with imported engines and materials), do we honestly think it's going to roll out more than 8-12 jets per year? It's rolling out 16 JF-17s per year (against a stated capacity of 24) on a co-production basis with half coming from China.

So, I can see a production run for even 100 AZMs rolling for 15+ years, especially with the lightweight industrial set-up we have in Pakistan. This is especially so if we start relying on the private sector. I want our businesses to succeed, but there's no way we'll see them manufacture fast enough for 15-20 AZMs per year.

Last edited:
Sir please tell me the logic behind this observation. I work as a software engineer in a defense firm and the development environment is Windows 10. Sometimes I use Ubuntu Linux but that is down to personal preference and ease of development and not a requirement by my employer.

These operating systems are open to intelligence agencies and businesses who produce them. You may be protected from viruses and 3rd party theft, but whos' going to block OEM's access to their obedient subject?

"Privacy" and "Security" is a delusion for the ones who are ready to be fooled.

Their are some departments even in US Military that are using Windows 98 from Air Force side when collaborating with defense industries—even these companies use it as well.

Sure, people who can afford the latest versions of anything are still using old windows for a reason.

Back
Top Bottom