What's new

Post-mortem: Karachi Airport Attack

10 Attackers
Attacked in two teams
One overwhelmed ASF check post whilst other cut through the fence using the other as a distraction
Moved to the runway
Objective was to hijack a plane or enter terminal for maximum damage
Were held back by ASF until Rangers/Police/Army could arrive.
LEAs performed exceptionally well
Limited damage considerably
No real damage except for the storage room, cargo was mostly insured so not much harm done

Detailed report still in the works, probably wont be made public. The motive of the report is to highlight weaknesses and address them accordingly, opening it to the public might allow less than desirable elements to use it as a roadmap to orchestrate more attacks against airports nationwide.

Sir Jee, This is where you are mistaken. 1-2 Billion rupees worth of cargo including medical supplies and what not was perished. In coming months, Medical sector is going to face extreme shortages and Price hikes over this. Is it a limited damage ?

And Cargo in storage was not insured.Insurance w.r.t Terrorism related incidents were not done by companies as it is very costly and CAA has made it clear they would not pay for damages.

Terrorists achieved their objective. Inflicted considerable financial loss and distorted our international image

Sir Jee, This is where you are mistaken. 1-2 Billion ruppess worth of cargo including medical supplies and what not was perished. In coming months, Medical sector is going to face extreme shortages and Price hikes over this. Is it a limited damage ?

And Cargo was not ensured. Issuance w.r.t Terrorism related incidents were not done by companies and CAA has made it clear they would not pay for damages.

Terrorists achieved their objective. Inflicted considerable financial loss and distorted our international image

You are one of the few people who is reading the scenario realistically.

While it was of great significance that the attackers were contained and then eventually neutralised and like wise the damage was largely to property and less to human life except for the 30 odd unfortunate casualties.

The primary intention in this attack was to hit at an important and highly visible organic unit of the economic structure of Pakistan; which the attackers achieved. That this attack was one that followed a series of earlier successful attacks on important installations was important to the aim of the attackers, viz. to send a message that these Terrorist Miscreants could hit important Strategic and Economic installations with relative impunity. Human targets were probably low on the radar of the Terrorists just as in the PNS Mehran or PAF Kamra or GHQ attacks. The targets were important symbols that are synonymous with power of the State; Strategic/Military and Economic. Very different from blowing up people in a crowded market-place or a place of worship.
And you correctly inferred; "International Image" was the primary planned target, financial loss was the 'collateral damage'.

@Icarus; Sir, your views?

Can you please expand on this

The ASF was not meant to deal with an attack of this magnitude, they held their own quite impressively. Then we saw the Rangers taking a proactive approach to addressing the matter and so we were able to contain the damage rather than letting the terrorists wreak havoc whilst everyone waited for the Army. By the time the Army arrived, the militants had already been pinned under fire, they had been denied the opportunity to take any hostages or reach cover which made the military's job a lot more easier. Then, the LEAs, including Police participated in a joint search, rescue and evacuate operation that pulled over 1600 individuals out of the line of fire with zero casualty. All in all, we saw that some lessons had been learnt in the fallout of the Mehran Base attack and the situation was dealt with a lot more professionally than before.

Sir Jee, This is where you are mistaken. 1-2 Billion rupees worth of cargo including medical supplies and what not was perished. In coming months, Medical sector is going to face extreme shortages and Price hikes over this. Is it a limited damage ?

I assess matters from a solely military point of view, and in military terms, the operation was quite a successful endeavour. As far as the question of medical supplies go, I am sure it must be a serious matter but I cannot comment on the exact nature of the matter unless I know of the nature of the supplies. If you can offer any details regarding the matter, I will be thoroughly indebted.

And Cargo in storage was not insured.Insurance w.r.t Terrorism related incidents were not done by companies as it is very costly and CAA has made it clear they would not pay for damages.

The CAA reserves the right to deny payment to the companies and I am quite certain that there is a clause that makes it compulsory for stocks worth more than a particular value to be insured against theft, arson and terrorism.

I beg to differ, the objective was to create a hostage situation which had the full potential to turn into a bloodbath and would have made any security endeavour a very serious challenge.

Last edited:
While it was of great significance that the attackers were contained and then eventually neutralised and like wise the damage was largely to property and less to human life except for the 30 odd unfortunate casualties.

Absolutely, the matter of primary concern is to limit civilian loss of life. As long as that end is met, any degree of loss to the LEAs can be justified in my book.

The primary intention in this attack was to hit at an important and highly visible organic unit of the economic structure of Pakistan; which the attackers achieved.

Absolutely, the fact that they breached the outer perimeter allowed them the legitimacy and urgency that they had hoped to achieve.

That this attack was one that followed a series of earlier successful attacks on important installations was important to the aim of the attackers, viz. to send a message that these Terrorist Miscreants could hit important Strategic and Economic installations with relative impunity.

Indeed, however this one was different in the sense that the terrorists were met with stiff opposition, could cause limited damage and were subsequently hunted down and killed unlike in the past where they caused absolute havoc and then had the chance to flee.

Human targets were probably low on the radar of the Terrorists just as in the PNS Mehran or PAF Kamra or GHQ attacks. The targets were important symbols that are synonymous with power of the State; Strategic/Military and Economic. Very different from blowing up people in a crowded market-place or a place of worship.

Their radio intercepts and plan seems to suggest that this time, material damage was a second priority, the fact that they willingly gave up cover in order to approach the plane on the tarmac further cements the idea that they were looking for hostages.

And you correctly inferred; "International Image" was the primary planned target, financial loss was the 'collateral damage'.

@Icarus; Sir, your views?

Indeed, any such high profile incident is aimed at making the necessary ripples in world news and to remind everyone that the TTP (or the IMU in this case) are still quite relevant to the scales of power in Pakistan.

The ASF was not meant to deal with an attack of this magnitude, they held their own quite impressively. Then we saw the Rangers taking a proactive approach to addressing the matter and so we were able to contain the damage rather than letting the terrorists wreak havoc whilst everyone waited for the Army. By the time the Army arrived, the militants had already been pinned under fire, they had been denied the opportunity to take any hostages or reach cover which made the military's job a lot more easier. Then, the LEAs, including Police participated in a joint search, rescue and evacuate operation that pulled over 1600 individuals out of the line of fire with zero casualty. All in all, we saw that some lessons had been learnt in the fallout of the Mehran Base attack and the situation was dealt with a lot more professionally than before.

I assess matters from a solely military point of view, and in military terms, the operation was quite a successful endeavour. As far as the question of medical supplies go, I am sure it must be a serious matter but I cannot comment on the exact nature of the matter unless I know of the nature of the supplies. If you can offer any details regarding the matter, I will be thoroughly indebted.

The CAA reserves the right to deny payment to the companies and I am quite certain that there is a clause that makes it compulsory for stocks worth more than a particular value to be insured against theft, arson and terrorism.

I beg to differ, the objective was to create a hostage situation which had the full potential to turn into a bloodbath and would have made any security endeavour a very serious challenge.

Unforeseen casualty: Shortage of life-saving drugs feared in the coming weeks – The Express Tribune

1-1.2 Million mobiles destroyed.

Repercussions: Medicines for hepatitis destroyed in airport carnage – The Express Tribune

The raw material was intended for the manufacture of various medicines such as tablets, capsules, syrups, injections, creams and sachets. Additionally, 80 per cent of packaging materials such as polyvinyl chloride (PVC), aluminum foil, glass vials or rubber is also imported. Active pharmaceutical ingredients (APIs) used in the manufacture of psychotropics and narcotics were also destroyed in the fire, as were diagnostic kits and other medicinal products. “The import of these materials takes place over three months,” the official told The Express Tribune. “We don’t know how we are going to overcome this loss. Patients’ lives completely rely on these medications and a slight decrease in the supply in the market can greatly affect their lives.”

Most of the material mentioned can be easily re-procured, given that the government is prepared to part with the cash necessary to get them. When I heard about medical supplies, I became worried about the possibility that vaccines could have been destroyed in the fire, which would have been quite a major problem to the health services in Pakistan.

No compensation: Mobile importers, medicine makers to book hefty losses

The deadly attack on the Karachi airport left in its wake between Rs8 billion and Rs10 billion in losses to multiple businesses, which were using the warehouse located in the vicinity that was completely gutted in a subsequent fire, officials said on Wednesday.

Hundreds of thousands of mobile phones and tons of medicines, chemicals, pharmaceutical raw material, fruits, electronic devices and other goods were stored in the warehouse of Gerry’s Dnata when the attack occurred.

What has caught everyone by surprise is the fact that most of the consignments were not covered under the type of insurance policy, which would have paid compensation in case a terrorist attack damaged the cargo.

“This should have been the problem of insurance companies but now the importers and exporters would probably have to bear the loss,” said a senior official of the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA).

These businesses didn’t take insurance cover against terror act because of high premiums.”

Gerry’s Dnata, which is a 50-50 joint venture between Pakistani group Gerry’s and Dubai-based Dnata, was not immediately able to verify the extent of loss.

Officials say companies are in contact with their foreign suppliers to gather the documents, which will prove the worth of their stock.

QMobile, which has taken the market by storm with its smartphones, had around a million cellular phones in the warehouse, said Zeeshan Yousuf, a director at the company.

However, he said sales of the firm would not be affected by the incident. “Our monthly imports are around 1.5 million sets. There was a just a month’s stock in the warehouse.”

Yousuf said all the stock was insured. “It was still in possession of Emirates,” he said referring to the group, which owns Dnata and Emirates.

QMobile has become the largest payer of customs duties. In the last fiscal year, it paid over Rs5 billion in import duties.

Advance Telecom and United Mobile also confirmed they had lost their stock in the inferno, which also killed seven employees at the warehouse. Usually shipments arrive at Gerry’s Dnata from China almost daily. Once the importers pay all duties and file bank documents as evidence, the shipment is cleared and distributors dispatch them to the market.

However, the stock was piling up at the warehouse for few days because of a new import condition of Pakistan Telecommunication Authority (PTA), which requires importers to get approval for the type of phone in the consignment.

The Pakistan Pharmaceutical Manufacturers Association (PPMA) would be able to estimate the losses of its members in a day or two, said Medisure Labs CEO Dr Sheikh Kaiser Waheed and central member of the association. “Apparently, only Gerry’s Dnata had a cold storage facility at the airport,” he said. “My own company had just Rs1 million worth of raw material. But others who were exporting finished goods might be exposed to a bigger loss.”

Another pharmaceutical firm’s CEO said its insurer had asked them to not even bother filing a claim as the insurance policy didn’t cover act of terrorism.

“I don’t know what we are going to do. Maybe, we would have to lobby as an industry to do something.”

A lot of the medicines and products also belonged to commercial exporters and importers who were not carrying any insurance cover at all.

At least one insurance company, IGI Insurance, said its customers were sufficiently protected. “Around 90% of the stock covered by us is also protected against terrorist acts,” an official said.

These days banks do not accept letters of credit, which do not carry standard clauses providing terrorism cover to the shipments, he said. “I believe the real losses will be suffered by importers who were dependent on self-finance.”

Published in The Express Tribune, June 12th, 2014.

Most of the material mentioned can be easily re-procured, given that the government is prepared to part with the cash necessary to get them. When I heard about medical supplies, I became worried about the possibility that vaccines could have been destroyed in the fire, which would have been quite a major problem to the health services in Pakistan.

Hepatitis vaccines were in the stock

No compensation: Mobile importers, medicine makers to book hefty losses

The deadly attack on the Karachi airport left in its wake between Rs8 billion and Rs10 billion in losses to multiple businesses, which were using the warehouse located in the vicinity that was completely gutted in a subsequent fire, officials said on Wednesday.

Terrible, I think the relevant companies must be fined for taking official directives lightly and overlooking the need for insurance even though it is explicitly stated that cargo in transit or store must be insured.

Hepatitis vaccines were in the stock

Now this is a matter of grave concern, I hope the loss was minimal and will not affect public access to the vaccines.

Yes tourism is off because of terrorism and it will be for some time, you are telling me facts that we all knoe and agree to. We suffer from terrorism, as a result investment and tourism and foreigners visiting us aka cash cows. I do not deny it.

Back to the original point, where did you get the number of 25 civvies from?

Tum baaz ajao warna tum par bhi bharak jana hai :D
:fie::fie::fie:

:(

Back
Top Bottom