What's new

'Pope John Paul II wished to take a dip in Ganga'

Rig Vedic

Reaction score
'Pope John Paul II wished to take a dip in Ganga'

PTI | Apr 30, 2011, 04.21am IST

THRISSUR: Late Pope John Paul II, who will be beatified on May 1 ahead of confer-ment of sainthood by the Vatican, had an unfulfilled wish to take a dip in Ganga river, considered holy by Hindus.

John Paul conveyed his wish to take a dip in the Ganga to a senior Catholic Bishop from Kerala who met him at the Vatican in 1986 before the Pontiff's visit to India that year.

This was disclosed by the then Bishop of Thrissur diocese, late Mar Joseph Kundukulam, at a meeting convened here to discuss the details of the papal visit to the town, according to Mar Rahael Thattil, Auxiliary Bishop of Thrissur.

"Those present at the meeting were deeply touched when Bishop Kundukulam quoted the Pope having conveyed to him his wish to take a bath in the Ganga," Bishop Thattil said.

It is a rare event in the history of the church that a person will be beatified within just six years of his death, said Mar Thattil.

Another person to have received a similar honour was Mother Teresa, who lived in India and worked for the poorest of the poor on the streets. She died on September 5, 1997 and was beatified on October 19, 2003.

Sister Alphonsa, who was declared as a saint two years ago, and Kuriakose Elias of Chavara were beatified at Kottayam on February 9, 1986 by Pope John Paul II after 40 and 115 years of their death respectively, he said.

'Pope John Paul II wished to take a dip in Ganga' - The Times of India

----------------------------------

My question: Why?

St Thomas came to Kerala and there is also story Jesus himself came to India perhaps the Pope knows something we do or dont whatever way you look at it

St Thomas came to Kerala and there is also story Jesus himself came to India perhaps the Pope knows something we do or dont whatever way you look at it

I find interesting the story that Jesus came to India. There is no record of where he was between the ages 12-30. That period is called the "missing years" in Jesus' life. Some say he was with the Yogis of India, in the Himalayas and elsewhere.

However, the story of St. Thomas has been shown to be incorrect.

@Rigvedic did you ever see this video on Youtube?

I found this quite intresting to say the least

Last edited by a moderator:
@Rigvedic did you ever see this video on Youtube?

I found this quite intresting to say the least

What I have heard is somewhat different - that Jesus spent time in various places in India, including the Himalayas and Puri.

What is known is that in those days, in Palestine, India was considered to be a center of spiritual wisdom.

For example, when the Jews decided to fight to the finish against the Romans, at Masada, in the year 74 AD, and their leader Eleazer ben Yair wanted to motivate them, he spoke of the spiritual wisdom of India. This is from the book "Wars of the Jews" by the Jewish historian Flavius Josephus:

On the 15th of Xanthicus (roughly, April), AD 74, Eleazer ben Yair, the son of Judah the Galilean and leader of a Jewish community besieged by invading Romans in their rock fortress of Masada, rose to address his people. He had a simple message: There would be no surrender. They would all have to die, kill each other, with the last man killing himself.

Eleazer’s listeners demurred. Sensing their fear, the charismatic leader rose again, to deliver a final exhortation. Eleazer’s pulsating tour de force was not about Israel, the Jewish faith and the barbarians at the gate.

It was, the historian Josephus was to later record, an evocation of the Hindu rite of passage, of seeing death in the flesh as just another milestone on the soul’s immortal journey. ‘‘Are we not,’’ Eleazer asked, ‘‘ashamed to have lower notions than the Indians? And by our own cowardice?’’

"We, therefore, who have been brought up in a discipline of our own, ought to become an example to others of our readiness to die. Yet, if we do stand in need of foreigners to support us in this matter, let us regard those Indians who profess the exercise of philosophy; for these good men do but unwillingly undergo the time of life, and look upon it as a necessary servitude, and make haste to let their souls loose from their bodies; nay, when no misfortune presses them to it, nor drives them upon it, these have such a desire of a life of immortality, that they tell other men beforehand that they are about to depart; and nobody hinders them, but every one thinks them happy men, and gives them letters to be carried to their familiar friends [that are dead], so firmly and certainly do they believe that souls converse with one another [in the other world]. So when these men have heard all such commands that were to be given them, they deliver their body to the fire; and, in order to their getting their soul a separation from the body in the greatest purity, they die in the midst of hymns of commendations made to them; for their dearest friends conduct them to their death more readily than do any of the rest of mankind conduct their fellow-citizens when they are going a very long journey, who at the same time weep on their own account, but look upon the others as happy persons, as so soon to be made partakers of the immortal order of beings. Are not we, therefore, ashamed to have lower notions than the Indians? and by our own cowardice to lay a base reproach upon the laws of our country, which are so much desired and imitated by all mankind?"

Source: Concerning Masada And Those Sicarii Who Kept It; And How Silva Betook Himself To Form The Siege Of That Citadel. Eleazar's Speeches To The Besieged

RAAM TERI GANGA MAILI HO GAYI PAAPIYOON KE PAAP DHOTE DHOTE

another myth circulating among hindus. pehale paaap karo fir ganga main jake nahalo. saare paap dhul gaye. i dont think god is so forgiving.

well for the matter of fact even i read about the missing years in jesus life had a nice conversation with my schools father he also had the same thoughts that he came to india was in different places

another myth circulating among hindus. pehale paaap karo fir ganga main jake nahalo. saare paap dhul gaye. i dont think god is so forgiving.

Another not so well known myth is about a river called Karmnasha that makes the border of UP and Bihar. They say once you dip in it, all your good deeds will be washed away (Karma + Nash = Karmnasha). It is said that Guru Nanak first dipped in Karmnasha, to wash away all his good deeds, then he bathed in Ganga, to wash away all the bad ones. And since Karmnasha joins the waters of Ganga near Buxar, I doubt it will be of any use to dip in Ganga anywhere west of that point. So think before you dip in Ganga, it will matter where you do it :lol:

Perhaps he wanted closer inter-faith dialogue he was the best pope i seen so far

That is a metaphor, there is a deep Yogic significance behind the idea of "Ganga washing away sins". But Ganga the river is regarded with affection because she has watered the land of the Vedas for thousands of years.

Wouldnt it be awsome to look in there archives.

Wouldnt it be awsome to look in there archives.

unless its been destroyed by now like the gospels of Judas and Mary magdalene who knows what other secrets lurks inside the walled city of the Vatican

Jesus visit to India? People just make stories. The jesus story itself has big holes, jesus could be myth, just like Rama.

Jesus visit to India? People just make stories. The jesus story itself has big holes, jesus could be myth, just like Rama.

They say records of about 4 years of Jesus's life are missing. Proponents of Hinduism claim he visited India during that time. A baseless claim so it might be as fake as snake oil. But how can you say that Jesus did not exist? Who was the one who took such extensive travel and got persecuted at the hands of Pilate?

Pope John Paul know very well that romans were the followeres of vedic culture and load Ram , and the vatican city was actually called the vatika those day...
so , by blood , Pope John Paul is a hindu..

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom