What's new

Policeman martyred, dozens injured in Islamabad clashes; Army called

Writ of state is more important. We all should back up govt at this point. Imagine these foot soldiers students are appearing from Pindi and Islamabad religious seminaries ...

https://www.samaa.tv/live/

Last edited:
The situation seems to be getting worse, first Islamabad, now people are out on the streets in Karachi and Lahore. Activists in favor of the protests on social media are using sectarian slogans and one such media outlet is calling for "jihad against pak".

I say contain them and confine them to a small area and then block any supplies etc from entering until they go home, they're blocking streets and burning cars, they have the right to protest but not to hurt our country's economy and stability.

However, I will admit that the government should have apologized for the incident that caused these protests to occur, but if our politicians had any self-respect, we wouldnt even be in this situation.

The court was moronic to ask for this. Like I said yesterday, PML-N approach to bore them into submission was right. Now it's spread

The situation seems to be getting worse, first Islamabad, now people are out on the streets in Karachi and Lahore. Activists in favor of the protests on social media are using sectarian slogans and one such media outlet is calling for "jihad against pak".

I say contain them and confine them to a small area and then block any supplies etc from entering until they go home, they're blocking streets and burning cars, they have the right to protest but not to hurt our country's economy and stability.

However, I will admit that the government should have apologized for the incident that caused these protests to occur, but if our politicians had any self-respect, we wouldnt even be in this situation.
Stop supplies entering where? Many Madrassahs have taken their 15+ students with them, and its a pretty big gathering now.

Pakistan needs to build massive prisons somewhere up in the mountains with subzero temperatures outside. It needs to build prisons for at least a 10 million capacity.

All the jahil terrorists and their sympathizers and jahil mullahs need to be locked up for life.

Govt. should have offered simple option, The top mullahs in this dharna should have to take 100 Chittars each from Punjab police to prove that they are sincere with cause not for publicity of their business, if they succeeded in proving this then Minister should have resigned.

Call army and put hem in front. Dono side thandi ho jai gi
That is what PMLN have been trying to do all along. Get army involved and make a move so all the burden could be put on them. Army was wise enough to state that they are "WAITING FOR ORDERS" of gov. and will do as asked. Now the ball is in their (gov,) court and it took them just 2-3 days to decide and act once army made it clear that they are not going to carry the gov on this. Har dafa kisi aur ka kandhy pa bandooq rak ka ni chla hoti

248716_5208270_updates.jpg

Police clash with protesters of the Tehreek-i-Labaik Yah Rasool Allah Pakistan (TLYRAP) religious group during a protest in Islamabad. Photo: AFP

ISLAMABAD: A policeman was martyred and dozens others injured as forces on Saturday as moved to disperse a sit-in that has virtually paralysed the country´s capital for weeks.

Citing unnamed sources, Geo News reported that the policeman died of head injuries at a local hospital. The policeman was injured when protesters pelted the forces with stones in I-84 area of the city.

The roughly 8,500 elite police and paramilitary troops in riot gear began clearing the 2,000 or so demonstrators soon after dawn, with nearby roads and markets closed.

The sit-in by the little-known hardline group called Tehreek-i-Labaik Ya Rasool Allah Pakistan has blocked a main highway used by thousands of commuters since November 6, causing hours-long traffic snarls and enraging commuters.

The protesters are demanding that Pakistan´s law minister Zahid Hamid resign over a hastily-abandoned amendment to the oath that election candidates must swear.

248716_7715401_updates.jpg

Policeman fires at protesters. Photo: AFP

AFP reporters at the scene said small scuffles had broken out as protesters hurled rocks at police. Others were detained as security forces began to clear the site. Some ambulances could be seen in the area but it was not clear if there had been any injuries.

Television images showed people standing on top of freight containers that had blocked the roads around the sit-in, and plumes of smoke filling the air.

An Islamabad police official said that the operation sought to avoid any loss of life on either side.

The sit-in has already cost the life of at least one eight-year-old child whose ambulance could not reach a hospital in time due to the blocked roads.

248716_7319208_updates.jpg

Plainclothes policemen arrest an injured activist (C) from the Tehreek-i-Labaik Yah Rasool Allah Pakistan (TLYRAP) religious group. Photo: AFP

Despite the protest´s relatively small size, authorities have hesitated to act against it, citing fears of violence as the demonstrators have vowed to die for their cause.

But government inaction has drawn the fury of the courts as well as millions of residents in Islamabad and neighbouring Rawalpindi.

The Supreme Court and the Islamabad High Court have issued blistering criticism and threatened to hold officials in contempt for their inaction.

Analysts and critics have accused the government of bungling its response to the protest, and allowing a minor issue to grow into a headline-grabbing and potentially dangerous situation.

It set an alarming precedent, that "anytime anyone is upset with the government, the capital may be choked and the government will bend its knees," warned Zeeshan Salahuddin of the Center for Research and Security Studies, a think tank in Islamabad.

Some protesters wearing gas masks were also seen throwing tear gas canisters back to police while others were pelting the police with stones using sling-shots.

248716_1235177_updates.jpg

Activists of a religious group throw rocks toward riot police during a clash in Islamabad. Photo: Reuters

According to private TV channels , dozens of protesters have been apprehended by police and shifted to prison vans.

An emergency has been declared in the hospitals of the federal capital in the wake of the crackdown.

At least 14 security officials have been treated for minor injuries at a hospital, according to Geo News.

248716_3116437_updates.jpg

Complying with court orders, the district administration of Islamabad earlier on Friday had issued final warning to protesters to clear Faizabad interchange and other main roads by midnight.

On Friday, Islamabad High Court ordered the federal capital administration to end the ongoing Faizabad sit-in by Sunday.

The protesters belonging to religious parties — Tehreek-i-Khatm-i-Nabuwwat, Tehreek-i-Labaik Pakistan (TLP) and the Sunni Tehreek Pakistan (ST) —are calling for the sacking of Law Minister Zahid Hamid and strict action against those behind the amendment to the Khatm-i-Nabuwwat oath in the Elections Act 2017. The amendment had earlier been deemed a ‘clerical error’ and has already been rectified.

The protesters had occupied the Faizabad Bridge which connects Rawalpindi and Islamabad through the Islamabad Expressway and Murree Road, both of which are the busiest roads in the twin cities.

Stone-pelting is not a joke. Whether or not the security agencies concerned mean to use minimal force is no longer relevant. Stones hurt, they injure, and they invoke, after a period, violent responses.
More than stone pelting, it is the seizure of capital city that have called for this response. I was always of the view that these thugs should have been dealt with long ago but political preferences came is way and it was held up for so long. You wont see any support for these in general public here in Pakistan. At least anyone i have talked to was and still is unhappy with them.

sad for the policeman's family. May Allah bless him with Jannah.

this madness should stop and zahid hamid should resign for his incompetence.

Back
Top Bottom