What's new

Featured PNS Tabuk has been commissioned in Pakistan Navy

"naming it places from saudi arabia".

It's after the name of guzwa not place.

Sent from my XT1609 using Defence.pk mobile app
okay, you don't name a gazwa for a boat. first its a boat, second name it after our people. third, name it after somebody that holds any importance. now someone who has not read Islamic history doesnt even know what tabuk is. which is 95 percent of pakistan.

@Imran Khan yar iss ne to teri le li bhai LMAO

I understand that this is pretty barebones. What advanced weapons/sensors will this ship have?
How long will it take to make it a true corvette?

Air search radar being the MR-36A , from the 056 corvette. Probably ASELSAN's Alper SSR. Uh, its got an ASELSAN stamp as its main gun, a few smaller guns, a Type-730 CIWS most likely based off of models, Potential Harbah SSM's or either C802's, im leaning towards the former.
Has the ship been built to military standards or civilian? PNS Tabuk is based on a OPV, and they dont get to the same standards as a full military vessel.

How much is this contract worth btw, does anyone know?
Commercial, however tbh, it doesn't mean a whole lot in terms of quality and performance. The difference between commercial and mil standards are very very very confusing, i cant really wrap my head around them properly either. I can give you a rundown but be prepared for me and you to be confused,

there is absolutely nothing wrong with commercial standards many of the biggest auxiliary warships in Western countries are to commercial standards

in the hands of the professional Pakistan Navy I am sure it will exceed expectations

second one is coming in May 2021

and can you believe Type 054AP delivery's are starting too

Air search radar being the MR-36A , from the 056 corvette. Probably ASELSAN's Alper SSR. Uh, its got an ASELSAN stamp as its main gun, a few smaller guns, a Type-730 CIWS most likely based off of models, Potential Harbah SSM's or either C802's, im leaning towards the former.

Commercial, however tbh, it doesn't mean a whole lot in terms of quality and performance. The difference between commercial and mil standards are very very very confusing, i cant really wrap my head around them properly either. I can give you a rundown but be prepared for me and you to be confused,

What's the news on AESA radar NRTC/NUST was making?? When will we start making our own subsystems??

okay, you don't name a gazwa for a boat. first its a boat, second name it after our people. third, name it after somebody that holds any importance. now someone who has not read Islamic history doesnt even know what tabuk is. which is 95 percent of pakistan.
Every muslim in Pakistan knows what Ghazwa e Tabuk is, what are u on about?, are u on drugs?

so the saudis should start reading. and we have not named it after any sahabas and prophets. we named it after place. why don't we name it our cities. pakistanis don't have their own identities. just follow blindly the arabs till the time comes when they boot you to the ground, oh i forgot they is doing it now. why not name it after porus or some other great general or saint who fought for our people. look the prophet and sahabas were great people, but we don't own them gratitude to put them on our ships. they were arabs, yes, they fought for Islam and we will also fight for Islam but that doesnt mean that we also put their names. after all, this is an Pakistan navy ship not Islamic navy ship. apart from that, if Pakistani really want to do something better, they should put sharia instead of democracy, that will be much better than naming a ship after after a arab place.
Its name is based on a ghazwa of the Prophet Mohammad PBUH and not a city - Ghazwae Tabouk, just like the other ship is named Yarmook.

The rest of your post is just ignorant rants based on : 1)the false premise that the ship is named after the city Tabouk, and 2) shallow understanding of Muslims history, Islamic history and culture in the subcontinent 3) the wrong understanding that Prophets history and Sahabs only belong to the Arabs. Otherwise all Christians and Muslims should be pagans if only a local religion is required to be followed. Pakistanis choose to be Mulims and followers of Prophet Mohammad PBUH and will show their gratitude and devotion how ever they want - and choosing names is just one of many ways.

If you still are going to pester on to take this name as a city only, the it can also be the name of this Philippines city Tabuk
So PN named its ship after a Philippine city now ?:haha:

What's the news on AESA radar NRTC/NUST was making?? When will we start making our own subsystems??

I think that was for the Army tbh. PAC is working on their own airborne systems. The problem with naval stuff is that its procured in small quantities so its very expensive for us to make our own stuff, for low quantity purchases adapting a pre-existing system to the role is the best way or the other option is buy from abroad. Europe, China etc.

I think that was for the Army tbh. PAC is working on their own airborne systems. The problem with naval stuff is that its procured in small quantities so its very expensive for us to make our own stuff, for low quantity purchases adapting a pre-existing system to the role is the best way or the other option is buy from abroad. Europe, China etc.
4, 5 mulkon ko wohi samaan becho. Paise poorey.

One thing I don't understand. Why PakMil is not interested in any JVs other than JF17. Especially when Turks have good products on offer. And seem to want to partner with other nations. Like they partnered with Indonesia for light tank and Ukraine for Cargo-Transport Jets. On the other hand we are still buying even something as little as Dhskas from Taiwan and calling it our own POF miracle.

JVs are a great way to get our defence industry off the ground. Trust me if Pakistan breaks into Tech, Aviation, Defence and maybe Auto idustry too(I believe Metro is making an economic microcar; why not export it to Africa, Central Asia and Far East markets?). We'll make big bucks.

4, 5 mulkon ko wohi samaan becho. Paise poorey.

One thing I don't understand. Why PakMil is not interested in any JVs other than JF17. Especially when Turks have good products on offer. And seem to want to partner with other nations. Like they partnered with Indonesia for light tank and Ukraine for Cargo-Transport Jets. On the other hand we are still buying even something as little as Dhskas from Taiwan and calling it our own POF miracle.

JVs are a great way to get our defence industry off the ground. Trust me if Pakistan breaks into Tech, Aviation, Defence and maybe Auto idustry too(I believe Metro is making an economic microcar; why not export it to Africa, Central Asia and Far East markets?). We'll make big bucks.

"4, 5 mulkon ko wohi samaan becho. Paise poorey."

Problem is, per unit cost is still going to be high, we either need a product better than the competition to make it worth the money or we need a product that is as good or more cost effective while offering satisfactory performance. The issue is, both cost money lol

"One thing I don't understand. Why PakMil is not interested in any JVs other than JF17. Especially when Turks have good products on offer. "

IMO they are, however, only on bigger/more strategic, longer term items. Let me explain:

Lets look at the pattern of Pak Mil JV's:
JF-17- a long term, high number of units, benefit of experience which can be reused to further domestic industry, a strategically important move, lessens dependance on sanction happy suppliers.
Agosta- Enabled KSEW to have the capability to work on the kind of high pressure steel subs need, enables them to also produce as many as they pleased(there was a pak navy SSK requirement of 18 boats at once!), paved the way for Hangor Class production. Once again, a strategically beneficial investment, would be unlikely to integrate nuclear SLCMs on an off the shelf product.
Milgem/Jinnah- Paves the way for the PN to operate a standardized modern surface combatant. One of the most advanced types in the region. Long term project, reliable as we do it ourself, paves the way for further ship types etc.

I don't want to continue that list since it will get long and frankly, i'm lazy, however, i will further evaluate a specific part of it. The Jinnah Class.

The most important part is we own the IP rights. This i assume also means we own the IP rights to alot of the components, tech, systems onboard the platform. This is important because it means pak can recycle these systems, cutting out the R&D phase, dramatically lowering cost by using proven, designed and working systems etc and applying them elsewhere. However, the issue with exports is one of financing, very few nations have the money upfront to bankroll massive purchases, this is problematic for someone like pak who cant provide a loan.

What i will say is there is a gap, MENA, Africa etc all like smaller, cheap to operate things. In the context of naval stuff, the 056 has been hugely successful. There is literally nothing stopping KSEW from grabbing a Azmat hull, enlarging it, packing it with OTS sensors, offering an export oriented AShM or even a c802 package alongside them and actually being successful in terms of gaining export traction. JVs can be iffy, however a great example of a JV done right is the Jinnah class project. This is the way forward for them, we should then take what we get from these, repackage it, resell it. This is how China has been doing things and this is the kinda model we need to follow, though, China did it without permission etc. However, there is nothing at the end of the day stopping us from even exporting smaller things, heck, even empty hulls like Germany does to Israel, or even smaller systems like AShMs or whatever.

What i will say is there is a gap, MENA, Africa etc all like smaller, cheap to operate things. In the context of naval stuff, the 056 has been hugely successful. There is literally nothing stopping KSEW from grabbing a Azmat hull, enlarging it, packing it with OTS sensors, offering an export oriented AShM or even a c802 package alongside them and actually being successful in terms of gaining export traction.

Dil khush kiya hai bhai. :smitten::smitten::smitten:
Some things just can't be expressed through English lmao.

But will the Uncles, Brigadiers heading these organizations realize this?

Will Pakistan ever get a Temel Kotil or someone who realizes how important defence export is to our economy?

"4, 5 mulkon ko wohi samaan becho. Paise poorey."

Problem is, per unit cost is still going to be high, we either need a product better than the competition to make it worth the money or we need a product that is as good or more cost effective while offering satisfactory performance. The issue is, both cost money lol

"One thing I don't understand. Why PakMil is not interested in any JVs other than JF17. Especially when Turks have good products on offer. "

IMO they are, however, only on bigger/more strategic, longer term items. Let me explain:

Lets look at the pattern of Pak Mil JV's:
JF-17- a long term, high number of units, benefit of experience which can be reused to further domestic industry, a strategically important move, lessens dependance on sanction happy suppliers.
Agosta- Enabled KSEW to have the capability to work on the kind of high pressure steel subs need, enables them to also produce as many as they pleased(there was a pak navy SSK requirement of 18 boats at once!), paved the way for Hangor Class production. Once again, a strategically beneficial investment, would be unlikely to integrate nuclear SLCMs on an off the shelf product.
Milgem/Jinnah- Paves the way for the PN to operate a standardized modern surface combatant. One of the most advanced types in the region. Long term project, reliable as we do it ourself, paves the way for further ship types etc.

I don't want to continue that list since it will get long and frankly, i'm lazy, however, i will further evaluate a specific part of it. The Jinnah Class.

The most important part is we own the IP rights. This i assume also means we own the IP rights to alot of the components, tech, systems onboard the platform. This is important because it means pak can recycle these systems, cutting out the R&D phase, dramatically lowering cost by using proven, designed and working systems etc and applying them elsewhere. However, the issue with exports is one of financing, very few nations have the money upfront to bankroll massive purchases, this is problematic for someone like pak who cant provide a loan.

What i will say is there is a gap, MENA, Africa etc all like smaller, cheap to operate things. In the context of naval stuff, the 056 has been hugely successful. There is literally nothing stopping KSEW from grabbing a Azmat hull, enlarging it, packing it with OTS sensors, offering an export oriented AShM or even a c802 package alongside them and actually being successful in terms of gaining export traction. JVs can be iffy, however a great example of a JV done right is the Jinnah class project. This is the way forward for them, we should then take what we get from these, repackage it, resell it. This is how China has been doing things and this is the kinda model we need to follow, though, China did it without permission etc. However, there is nothing at the end of the day stopping us from even exporting smaller things, heck, even empty hulls like Germany does to Israel, or even smaller systems like AShMs or whatever.

Very shallow thought, you need JVs not on a platform basis but actualy more importeries a subsystem basis. You produce Hangor class, but to modernize France / Turkey to run, this is didn't you exporter submarines. Regardless of the Type054 or Milgem / Jinnah, the only thing you will gain here is the ship design capability and a bit of material design and fabrication techniques (available from every countries). Buy from whomever you buy, you will not be able to learn the electronics that make up the reason why ships are so expensive, you will have to do it yourself, so you need to orient your different institutions for this job multidisciplinary. In the Jinnah class, the share of STM and shipyards is not even one-third of Aselsan and Meteksan for cost.

For example, Milsoft is customizing its Network Centric interface so that it can be integrated into Genesis for the Pakistani navy, but the keyword is "customizing ". This is the most giving you the possibility of loading ports and editing device for yourself, still have to go to Turkey for integration. Problems here to Turkey not to go, India is not the enemy like Greece. When almost done in 5000-7000 ton class ships for the future Is the oceans will go to Turkey or China?

Last edited:
Very shallow thought, you need JVs not on a platform basis but on a subsystem basis. You produce Hanger class, but to modernize France / Turkey to Ran, this is didn't you exporter submarines. Regardless of the Type054 or Milgem / Jinnah, the only thing you will gain here is the ship design capability and a bit of material design and fabrication techniques (available from every countries). Buy from whomever you buy, you will not be able to learn the electronics that make up the reason why ships are so expensive, you will have to do it yourself, so you need to orient your different institutions for this job multidisciplinary. In the Jinnah class, the share of STM and shipyards is not even one-third of Aselsan and Meteksan for cost.

For example, Milsoft is customizing its Network Centric interface so that it can be integrated into Genesis for the Pakistani navy, but the keyword is "customizing ". This is the most giving you the possibility of loading ports and editing device for yourself, still have to go to Turkey for integration. Problems here to Turkey not to go, India is not the enemy like Greece. When almost done in 5000-7000 ton class ships for the future Is the oceans will go to Turkey or China?

Pakistan's main problem is limited thinking and lack of planing. Govt owned steal mill is in shambles and our electrical/mechanical engineers doing odd jobs to get their livelihood. Biggest example is FWO, where engineers working on contract basis for merely 40 to 50 thousand for construction/road projects, same is case with many other organisations. After so many years at least PAF has taken initiative for aviation city, similar projects should be followed by PA and PN. Nust on limited scale backed by PA is going for some research work and limited projects, The initiative should be spread among all big Public/Govt owned Unis even if any Private sector Uni works in this direction should be supported by Govt. Further small industries should be encouraged as suppliers for Armed forces projects.

Very shallow thought, you need JVs not on a platform basis but actualy more importeries a subsystem basis. You produce Hangor class, but to modernize France / Turkey to run, this is didn't you exporter submarines. Regardless of the Type054 or Milgem / Jinnah, the only thing you will gain here is the ship design capability and a bit of material design and fabrication techniques (available from every countries). Buy from whomever you buy, you will not be able to learn the electronics that make up the reason why ships are so expensive, you will have to do it yourself, so you need to orient your different institutions for this job multidisciplinary. In the Jinnah class, the share of STM and shipyards is not even one-third of Aselsan and Meteksan for cost.

I can relate to your opinion a lot more. I think our companies HIT and POF are mired in writer's block bcź of their inability to make subsystems.

Also even if we can't sell an entire platform. We can still sell subsystems and support and still make a decent buck.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom