What's new

PML-N ‘losing hold’ of Rawalpindi

Guvera

Reaction score
By Tanveer Ahmed

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) is facing a daunting task in Rawalpindi Division where internal strife and defections in the party ranks are negatively impacting its electioneering, with polls just weeks away.

Rawalpindi Division is considered a PML-N stronghold and the party is keen to make big strides this time around too. However, sudden developments in the recent days have dented the party’s prospects to rule the division again.

The situation in Rawlpindi City turned grim for the party when one of its stalwart in the city, Chaudhry Tanveer Khan developed differences with the leadership over the distribution of tickets in Rawalpindi districts.

The top party leadership gave in to Chaudhry Nisar Ali Khan when the phase of distribution of tickets came and Chaudhry Tanveer Khan was not happy with the sole authority given to Chaudhry Nisar because both, though in the same party, are poles apart when it comes to district politics.

“Chaudhry Tanveer Khan was annoyed at the party for awarding tickets to candidates in this division on the wishes of Chaudhry Nisar Ali Khan. He got so upset that he went abroad a few days ago with no immediate plan to return,” said sources.

Chaudhry Tanveer Khan has considerable clout in NA-55 of Rawalpindi City where Sheikh Rashid is contesting the elections with the support of Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf, apparently giving a tough time to PML-N candidate Shakeel Awan. Awan had defeated Sheikh Rashid in by-elections because of Ch. Tanveer Khan’s support.

The NA-56 is another constituency of the city where Ch. Tanveer Khan remained a kingmaker over the years and this time his absence is troubling the party where its candidate Hanif Abbasi is to face Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI)’s Chairman Imran Khan.

“Ch. Tanveer got annoyed when his nephew was not given a ticket on Punjab Assembly seat and that was because of Ch. Nisar Ali Khan’s opposition it,” sources in PML-N told Daily Times.

NA-51 Gojar Khan, a tehsil of Rawalpindi District is also slipping away from the hands of PML-N in the next general elections when its old-timer in the constituency Ch. Riaz announced to support Raja Pervez Ashraf, PPPP candidate against awarding the ticket to Raja Javed Akhlas by PML-N. Raja Javed Akhlas was former Naizm of Rawalpindi district and contested the 2008 general elections on PML-Q ticket.

Raja Javed switched his loyalties to PML-N some time ago and managed to grab the PML-N ticket, triggering sharp response from Ch. Riaz, the candidate of PML-N in the last general elections on this constituency, who publicly announced to support PPPP’s candidate Raja Pervez Ashraf rather to support Raja Javed Akhlas which he dubbed a turncoat.

The latest development in this constituency is making the ground even for Raja Pervez Ashraf of PPPP and he has now brighter prospects for winning the elections.

In Chakwal district of Rawalpindi Division where PML-N secured both its constituencies of National Assembly in the last general elections, party has now come on the back foot when Ayaz Amir, the winner on NA-60 in 2008 as PML-N candidate announced to support PTI in the constituency after party awarded the ticket to Tahir Iqbal, a former federal minister in PML-Q government and now in the fold of PML-N.

In NA-61, the prospects are also bleak for the party where Ch. Pervez Elahi has been aggressively campaigning against PML-N’s candidate Sardar Mumtaz Tamman. Mumtaz Tamman received a setback when Sardar Mansood Hayat Tamman obtained a PTI ticket, thus dividing the votes of Tamman sardars. PML-N won this seat in the last general elections by a thin margin of few hundreds votes against Ch. Pervez Elahi.

(Courtesy Daily Times Pakistan)
Daily Times - Leading News Resource of Pakistan

27164_366533956781849_1124681600_n.jpg

i think u need to be realistic

They would never understand. around about 25 seats that pti could win wont get them any sort of majiority but on hundreds of seats they would loose on could put a hard dent to N-League, in-effect favoring ppp or letting no one get a majiority.

Even simple majority is enough to implement change.

And if both the parties wont get simple majority then they need to join hands otherwise ppp ill again come in power u need to be realistic pti ill not get simple majority that easily they would only damage pmln vote bank and even if they get 60 70 seats lets assume and pmln gets 90 seats or 80 and they dont join hands it ill be disastrous for the country

Can pakistan afford another ppp lead govt for 5 years ?????????????

Simple majority means 133 seats. No party, be it PML-N or PTI, would get that far.

In previous election ppp got 124 seats
pmln got 91 seats
pml q got 54 seats
mqm 25

And if vote bank of pmln and pti is divided no one ill be able to form govt

They would never understand. around about 25 seats that pti could win wont get them any sort of majiority but on hundreds of seats they would loose on could put a hard dent to N-League, in-effect favoring ppp or letting no one get a majiority.

That's why PTI is denting PPPP politics in upper dir, lower dir and other districts in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa . Remember 200 NA seats in Punjab, Pakhtunkhwa , Fata and Islamabad sets will play key role.
PTI will get more than simple majority. At least 150 seats easily Inshallah.
If popularity continues with same PACE then Two third majority is possible.
Mashallah 80% new and very educated candidates, 80% candidate never came in the parliament.
PTI will clean sweep in this election :pakistan:

well i lives in rawalpindi in NA-56 but the fact is PML is Still strong but people are changing in mints some says to PTI or PML(N) you just can't tell who's going to win ....as far as i see many supporter of PTI but there campain in rawalpindi is v v v low so.. as far as i see till now PML(N) as advantage Hanif abbasi came to my house yesterday but i didn't see a PTI leader here they must put some effort in here i will vote for PML(N) but i m the supporter of both parties i wish both make the allines and make govt

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom