What's new

PLA's Type 052D destroyers can beat Vietnam's Su-22s: report

Type 052D is the most advanced destroyer belong to PLAN. So obviously, she has the power and capability to destroy those 3rd generation aircraft like SU-22; As, if my memory serve right, the best fighter bomber that belong to Russia now is SU-34. SU-22 is simply 2 generation behind.

@BoQ77 why do you hang out in this section now?

Come back to Far East section.

This spark my interest too. I thought BoQ77 interest more of Russian and American weapon. So it's very surprising when he show some interest in China's military hardware.

this section limited to China flag members?

Don't you want to talk with your Viet friends in the Far East section?

Far East section is the most vibrant section with many more people visiting and we can discuss things in detail.

Come post in Far East section.

I really am not concerned about the details. I am pointing out a constant factor in these posts.

And what is effectiveness in the name of Allah doing here?
You are not concern abt detail then may I know how do you come to such conclusion? Based on personal emotion? I do things based on fact. And my words are based on recent real war experience with backing from YouTube video of real time war footage of Chinese weapon scoring precise strike used by syria rebel or ISIS. How abt you? Woman do things based on emotion or maybe you are one? :D

I never say effectiveness of Allah. It just the rebel slogan whenever they fired their weapon.

Last edited:
PLA's Type 052D destroyers can beat Vietnam's Su-22s: report
Staff Reporter 2015-04-23 15:06 (GMT+8)

China's Type 052D guided-missile destroyers have the capability to intercept and shoot down the the People's Air Force of Vietnam's Su-22 fighter bombers should a future conflict between two nations over the disputed South China Sea take place, according to the Beijing-based Sina Military Network on Apr. 20.

The former Soviet Union provided 180 MiG-21bis fighters, 40 Su-22M3 ground attackers and six Su-22U trainers to the People's Air Force of Vietnam in late 1979 to replace its obsolete A-37 attackers and F-5E fighters captured from the South Vietnamese Air Force at the end of the Vietnam War. Later, Vietnam received an additional 32 Su-22M4 ground attackers and four Su-22UM3 trainers in 1988. They were once considered the most dangerous threat to Chinese ground forces in the border region between the two countries.

During the Johnson South Reef Skirmish in the South China Sea in 1988, the Su-22M3 and Su-22M4 were not deployed against the vessels of the People's Liberation Army Navy, though Chinese sailors were warned about the aircraft. Flightglobal, an online news and information website related to the aviation and aerospace industries, said Vietnam currently has 38 various types of Su-22 in services. More than 50 of them are in storage.

With an attacking range of 500 kilometers, Vietnam's Su-22s are capable of operating over the disputed Paracel and Spratly islands. Vietnam introduced a total number of 24 advanced Su-30MK2V fighter bombers from Russia to replace the obsolete Su-22 in recent years. Yet this number is not enough for Vietnam to decommission all of its Su-22s. In a future confrontation between China and Vietnam over the South China Sea, the Su-22 attackers are unlikely to survive an attack from the PLA's modern destroyers, the report said.

If they [052B/C/D] didn't, they wouldn't be worth the investment to begin with.

However, 'capable of intercepting' does not mean 'guaranteed to kill, all the time, under any circumstance'.
No one expected A4s and Mirage 3s to kill RN ships. And while these were capable of shooting said plains down, it just doesn't Always happen that way in a real world situation.

I.e. a rather strange report.

An interesting situation.

Anything in China's military inventory is invincible, no matter where and what the source.

The moment it is discovered in someone else's inventory, it becomes totally vulnerable and not fit for military deployment.

Indians are not qualified to judge because you can not even manufacture bullets...:( take a ride somewhere else...

Su-22 are obsolete. It is long known they cannot survive type 52D air defense.
Su-24 is only 4 years younger than su-22 in terms of ' in service' date.
Obviously, one would have to modernize these jets for continues relevance today.

If they [052B/C/D] didn't, they wouldn't be worth the investment to begin with.

However, 'capable of intercepting' does not mean 'guaranteed to kill, all the time, under any circumstance'.
No one expected A4s and Mirage 3s to kill RN ships. And while these were capable of shooting said plains down, it just doesn't Always happen that way in a real world situation.

I.e. a rather strange report.

Don't educate him. He's a Viet professional...8-)

Su-24 is only 4 years younger than su-22 in terms of ' in service' date.
Obviously, one would have to modernize these jets for continues relevance today.
But how modernised is VPAF Su-22 especially it has a small nose cone that may restrict bigger or more capable radar? and how much support Russian continue for remaining foreign Su-22?

Don't educate him. He's a Viet professional...8-)
Surely the original source of the article is Chinese media?

But how modernised is VPAF Su-22 especially it has a small nose cone that may restrict bigger or more capable radar? and how much support Russian continue for remaining foreign Su-22?
Who needs russian support? Plenty of non-russian Mig 21 upgrades around, for example. Its engine is also used in F-24, some Mig 23 variants, I see no problem there. There rermain about 150 Su22 in service worldwide.

No, I don't think so. There have been fake stories about many things in Chinese internet, but none would be so low...

Surely the original source of the article is Chinese media?

Who needs russian support? Plenty of non-russian Mig 21 upgrades around, for example. Its engine is also used in F-24, some Mig 23 variants, I see no problem there. There rermain about 150 Su22 in service worldwide.

Not neccessary. Su-22 is not as widely exported as Mig-21 or Mig-23 , meaning low other sources of supplier besides Russia. And what I know most of the upgrade available is mostly on avionics. Airframe if not upgraded will have very low in service time due to higher chance of breakup in the air. Or not able to pull the required G in case of avoiding anti-aircraft fire or SAM. The result will be disaster.

Not neccessary. Su-22 is not as widely exported as Mig-21 or Mig-23 , meaning low other sources of supplier besides Russia. And what I know most of the upgrade available is mostly on avionics. Airframe if not upgraded will have very low in service time due to higher chance of breakup in the air. Or not able to pull the required G in case of avoiding anti-aircraft fire or SAM. The result will be disaster.

Vietnam Su-22M4 are for naval usage.
For your information, during 1972 Vietnam Mig-17 hit a US destroyer by surfing bomb on the surface before hit the ship.

On 19 April 1972 the Higbee became the first US warship to be bombed during the Vietnam War, when two VPAF (also known as the NVAF-North Vietnamese Air Force) MiG-17s from the 923rd Fighter Regiment attacked, one of which, piloted by Le Xuan Di, dropped a 250 kilogram (500 lb) bomb onto the Higbee‍ 's rear 5-inch gun mount, destroying it

In 1971, Oklahoma City fired the first successful combat surface-to-surface missile shot in US Navy history, using the new Talos RIM-8H anti-radiation missile to destroy a North Vietnamese mobile air control radar van. On 19 April 1972, the cruiser was attacked by one of two North Vietnamese Air Force MiG-17s, flown by pilots Le Xuan Di and Nguyen Van Bay (aka Bay B), both from the North Vietnamese Air Force's 923rd Fighter Regiment. Each MiG was armed with two 500 pounds (227 kg) bombs,[4] Van Bay's target was the light cruiser. Van Bay made two passes on the cruiser, having overshot his target on the first run, dropped his two bombs near Oklahoma City, but caused only light damage.[5] Although one of the attacking MiGs was reportedly shot down by an accompanying missile ship, USS Sterett; both MiG-17s returned safely to their base after the attack. Another accompanying ship, the destroyer USS Higbee was heavily damaged by a direct hit from the second MiG flown by pilot Le Xuan Di, which destroyed her aft 5 inch gun mount.

Last edited:
Vietnam Su-22M4 are for naval usage.
For your information, during 1972 Vietnam Mig-17 hit a US destroyer by surfing bomb on the surface before hit the ship.
Vietnam war? Do US has aegis system during vietnam war or SM-2 missile or even CWIS?

During iraq war 1, none of US warship is near threatened anytime by Iraq Air Force or naval bomber. Maybe WWI scenario can be more relevant in 2015? :D

Vietnam war is 40over years old donkey incident. China is not even top 10 economy power. Now in 2015, China rank 2nd. You have to realize the world and technology evolve very fast.

Back
Top Bottom