What's new

PLAN develop ESSM: DK-10A anti-aircraft missile

This range is unbelievable, though 1-50kms is a good coverage if the systems are data linked.
The max range =/= effective firing range, coz missile radar guide has effective action distance. If the missile fly over action distance, the missile like a rocket continue flying until fuel out.

These are suitable for Gaza if you know what that is and I'm sure they'll pay cash for them. :D

If they work better than manpads I'm positive they will try acquiring some of these secretly. They can also test it's performance against American made jets.

Interesting work by China, they don't put so much emphasis just on Air Force capabilities and have everything spread across all sectors. It's neat. :)

Indeed, it be great to see if the Chinese ESSM is equivalent to ours.

This range is unbelievable, though 1-50kms is a good coverage if the systems are data linked.

I believe 50km is the maximum slant range. But remember though, that the maximum range of SAMs is affected by the nature of the incoming aerial threat.

The focus of this particular weapon system is mostly on whether it will be this or the existing HQ-16A that will be fitted inside the type 52D's VLS system (quad-packed) as the intermediate range SAM to serve the role of ESSM.

Any idea if PN would have any interest in this beast?

I believe 50km is the maximum slant range. But remember though, that the maximum range of SAMs is affected by the nature of the incoming aerial threat.

The focus of this particular weapon system is mostly on whether it will be this or the existing HQ-16A that will be fitted inside the type 52D's VLS system (quad-packed) as the intermediate range SAM to serve the role of ESSM.

Any idea if PN would have any interest in this beast?

We are looking for a VLS solution for the F-22Ps. If this fits the bill than why not.

What are the SAMs for:

1) long range?
2) medium range?
3) short range?

In other words what will be the missiles for air defence in the type 052D?

What are the SAMs for:

1) long range?
2) medium range?
3) short range?

In other words what will be the missiles for air defence in the type 052D?
About 052D air-defence missile, we don't know yet but i believe China official media will show the truth.

Chinese information provide now PLAN's air-defence missile:
HQ-9 (installed on 052C DDG) fire range 6km~200km, HQ-9 missile is the base of CNMD(Chinese National Missile Defence)
HQ-16 (installed on 054A FFG) fire range 1.5km~40km
HQ-10 (FL-3000, installed on 056 corvette 052D DDG and CV16) fire range 1km~10km

DK-10A of China Navy's ESSM belong to medium range anti-aircraft missile.

If future DK-10A really reach 50km fire range and small to 4x installed in one VLS. It's much better than current HQ-16 used by PLAN, it means PLAN FFG or DDG can carry more 50km air-defence missiles, not only 32x HQ-16 will be 128x DK-10A or 32x DK-10A and others like VLS launched anti-ship missile,anti-sub rocket,cruise missile.:tup:

Last edited:
About 052D air-defence missile, we don't know yet but i believe China official media will show the truth.

Chinese information provide now PLAN's air-defence missile:
HQ-9 (installed on 052C DDG) fire range 6km~200km, HQ-9 missile is the base of CNMD(Chinese National Missile Defence)
HQ-16 (installed on 054A FFG) fire range 1.5km~40km
HQ-10 (FL-3000, installed on 056 corvette 052D DDG and CV16) fire range 1km~10km

DK-10A of China Navy's ESSM belong to medium range anti-aircraft missile.

If future DK-10A really reach 50km fire range and small to 4x installed in one VLS. It's much better than current HQ-16 used by PLAN, it means PLAN FFG or DDG can carry more 50km air-defence missiles, not only 32x HQ-16 will be 128x DK-10A or 32x DK-10A and others like VLS launched anti-ship missile,anti-sub rocket,cruise missile.:tup:

What will be the other missiles?

Anti-Ship missile? YJ-18?
Anti-Submarine rocket?
Land Attack Cruise Missile? CJ-10?

Will there be a mid-course ballistic missile defence missile like the US SM-3?

Anti-Ship missile? YJ-18?
052D's VLS launched anti-ship missile, waiting for China official news.
Maybe not.

Anti-Submarine rocket?
Yes, 054A FFG has installed anti-sub rocket/torpedo in its 32x multi-role VLS. CCTV ever displayed PLAN 054A VLS introduction pic at HongKong Show, information proved anti-sub rocket/torpedo in 054A's 32x multi-role VLS but didn't give name.
13378697905_bd6fd28681_o.jpg

13378839803_a41da474df_o.jpg

Land Attack Cruise Missile? CJ-10?
Maybe,PLAN called 'DH-xx / 东海-xx'

Will there be a mid-course ballistic missile defence missile like the US SM-3?
Update version HQ-9

We need more news about 052D's missiles, latest hi-tech for PLAN.
11119975987889241975.jpg

4734344908828669289.jpg

Last edited:
We are looking for a VLS solution for the F-22Ps. If this fits the bill than why not.

The F-22Ps, being newly commissioned ships, are still well in their prime days. I cant imagine that the PN would start mid-life upgrades on them any time soon as the HQ-7A (FN-90N)already has acceptable performance in terms of shortest engagement distance (thanks to the slanted launcher). Also, by introducing a whole new missile, the F-22P's fire control system might have to be completely changed as well. Wouldn't it more be economical to upgrade the existing HQ-7A (max range ~12.5km-15km depending on nature of target) missiles to the HQ-7B (max range ~20km) standard that the PLA army use?

That being said, I do understand that there is a urgent need for fleet air defense capability for PN. Would it be economically feasible for PN to order 2 more "improved F-22Ps" that are based on PLAN's 054A's design?

The F-22Ps, being newly commissioned ships, are still well in their prime days. I cant imagine that the PN would start mid-life upgrades on them any time soon as the HQ-7A (FN-90N)already has acceptable performance in terms of shortest engagement distance (thanks to the slanted launcher). Also, by introducing a whole new missile, the F-22P's fire control system might have to be completely changed as well. Wouldn't it more be economical to upgrade the existing HQ-7A (max range ~12.5km-15km depending on nature of target) missiles to the HQ-7B (max range ~20km) standard that the PLA army use?

That being said, I do understand that there is a urgent need for fleet air defense capability for PN. Would it be economically feasible for PN to order 2 more "improved F-22Ps" that are based on PLAN's 054A's design?

We are getting more F-22Ps with Air Defense upgrades, so it can be possible in the new batch.

We are getting more F-22Ps with Air Defense upgrades, so it can be possible in the new batch.

Are current F-22Ps going to be upgraded or the new next 4 are going to be upgraded ones? I wonder instead of going for 4 more F-22P why PN did not opt for couple of Type 54A...In last few months Navy Chief also meet ishaq dar.

Take note, for the same missile, AAM range will exceed SAM range!

Back
Top Bottom