What's new

PLAN Aircraft Carrier Varyag Latest Update

Given how complex carrier operations are, I wouldn't be surprise if this was all a learn experience.

HQ-10 could be called a Chinese version of RAM, but not SeaRAM. SeaRAM uses its own sensor and radar packages like other CIWS, but HQ-10 works like those RAM launchers by operating with information feed from the ship's radar system.

It's also not a rolling missile.

Will the Varyag actually be used by the PLAN as an operational platform, or will it just be used as a training platform to practice carrier take-off and landing?

It'll be operational. No country in the world operates a carrier just for training, and certainly not one the size of the Varyag. The Type 730, FL-3000N(HQ-10), and Sea Eagle radar are all latest Chinese technologies, you don't need to spend that much on a training platform either. I'm 100% sure that it'll be operational.

Does the Varyag have engines now? Last time I checked it didn't.

btw does China have the capability to build its own aircraft carrier engines? I know India doesn't yet which is why we are buying American LM2500 turbines for the Vikrant class carriers.

I think it does, the smoke coming out of the main stack seems to indicate so. China does have pretty advanced steam-engine building technologies, and an article was released some time ago about the completion of a heavy steam engine capable of driving a carrier.

When will China have the tech to make nuclear reactors for future locally-built carriers?

They Can Mate..... But the Problem is before making a Nuclear capable Aircraft carrier, they need to Master themselves in making aircraft carrier, this is there first attempt on an aircraft carrier, So it takes Time... Miniaturization if Nuclear Reactors Are no longer a Pain for China,We can see them rolling out one in the near future....

I don't know anything about constructing carrier, but just a question.

why would they install radar when even construction is not even finished? don't they install radar at the end phase?

I don't know anything about constructing carrier, but just a question.

why would they install radar when even construction is not even finished? don't they install radar at the end phase?

Right, so it's one of the indicators signaling that the construction is in its end phase.

Right, so it's one of the indicators signaling that the construction is in its end phase.

Varyag was sold to china as a junk and under the agreement china can never make it into an operational aircraft carrier although they can use it for training and learning about how to make and operate aircraft carriers (reverse engineer).

Varyag was sold to china as a junk and under the agreement china can never make it into an operational aircraft carrier although they can use it for training and learning about how to make and operate aircraft carriers (reverse engineer).

What agreement stipulates you cannot return discarded equipment into operational status?? :undecided:..we did that with the Mirage III's..
A ship.. while infinitely more complex,large and expensive.. still has blueprints..and space for improvement.
If the Hull was sea worthy.. and the interior not all rusted.. it can be done.
The varyag may serve a role similar to the forrestal.. which was an advanced training carrier with operational capability.

For now, no answers

My Chinese friends will shout at me, if I shared high profile information here

Oh yeah... Google is very much unpopular in this part of the world.

China Air and Naval Power

And finally, we have some really nice updated photos out of Dalian shipyard. We see more work on the island and on the deck. I finally see smoke coming out. I don't know if that's exhaust from the stack or just some testing of auxiliary diesel generators. Either way, there are some serious work going on inside the island.

At least give some credit to the original post.

Whatever agreement there was about Varyag's usage it's strictly a bilateral agreement between Ukraine and China. I'm sure with degree of defense cooperation we have with the Ukrainians they'll not be the one who complains about we turning it into a fully operational ship.

China is not making Varyag into an operational carrier, you can't make an empty hull into an operational carrier. China is making Shi Lang into an operational carrier. :D

China is not making Varyag into an operational carrier, you can't make an empty hull into an operational carrier. China is making Shi Lang into an operational carrier. :D

I really doubt they'll be using a name as controversial and provocative as Shi Lang.

13-2007-Dalian-Overhead.jpg

Back
Top Bottom