What's new

Philippines Announces $2 Billion Defense Expansion

Nihon, buddy... you're losing it:partay:. I think that perhaps you misquoted me in place of another, though I greatly appreciate the information on the Philippines geographic, political and economic situation. I can't really complain about learning something, even if it was unexpected.

But... since they are an archipelago, ASM and AShM weapons and not thermobarics, which are useful in mountainous cave, are the way the Philippines needs to proceed, especially given their main threats are regional nation's naval weapons.

LOL! Yes, I decided to give some additional information and wanted to give some reasons for Manila's demographic investiture. As I have a lot of contacts in the Philippines. I should also say that I should have also tagged @mike2000 ! LOL

But yes Sven, I agree with you, for the Philippines an ASM procurement is definitely important. Tho since they are cradled into America's hands vis-a-vis the MDT, and since they are already developing strong relation with Japan and are practically home to 1/3rd of all Japan's Offshoring in ASEAN, they are clearly protected under Japanese Self Defense Law. Plus, there are over 150,000 Japanese Nationals that live and reside in the Philippines and thus any attack on the Philippines would thus force the JSDF to protect Japanese citizens there. Out of all the countries in ASEAN, it is the Philippines that is "safe" as it is under the American and Japanese defensive umbrella. Thus they have more leverage to "take their time" so to say, but they should kick it up a notch....

Half of it goes to corrupted officials :p:

Anyway, remain a half still strengthen PH defense.
See Xu Caihou case and other cases, and tell us how many percent loss in China ? And China still become stronger.

Why thermobaric weapons? Thermobarics are good for bunkers and caves, but in open spaces they lose too much energy and are actually less effective then their high-explosive counterparts. Thermobarics are really, really good for anti-cave duties as they create a vaccum that will suck the air out of the cave and suffocate the occupants. I agree with @Nihonjin1051 - Anti-ship and anti-submarine weapons are the way to go.

In open space high-explosive and fuel-air explosives are great, but thermobarics lose effectiveness.

This article does a great job explaining the effects of thermobaric weapons
Joint Health Command - ignore the link title, the article is called "Aspects of thermobaric weaponry"

Also, @Nihonjin1051 - I've got some updates on ASM systems for the Philippines.

Philippine Navy Air and Missile Defense Radar with Lockheed Martin Agreement 2013-2020 goal | Austronesia Defense Forum

Philippine Navy mulling best way to upgrade Del Pilar frigates - IHS Jane's 360

Nothing major, but the new radars are going to be a big boost. Apart from that discussions are ongoing.

There is a possibility that Communist militants and Islamic Fundamentalists here in the Philippines might be using caves even though most of the fight happen in jungles and since Communist groups goes to mountains to train, there is a chance that they may be using caves. It is better to have one and not use it than wish for one but don't have it.

Other than advance weapons system, it would be wise to buy a lot of anti-tank weapons and cheap MANPADS and train 50% of the population (those who are not in the Philippine military) into something similar to Volkssturm if everything comes to a war with China. Most wars is about making a point about something unless China plans to use the so-called traditional definition of war which means "completely exterminate the enemy then take their land."

Also, it makes me wonder if we had activated Bataan nuke power plant and build more, would it come into our minds that we should acquire nukes.

Last edited:
We would go 25% of the country's GDP if we were extremely misguided in what weapons to buy, but that would mean a "Happy China" because we would starve ourselves so we settled for $2 billion (somewhere between 1-2% of GDP).

Philippine Navy Air and Missile Defense Radar with Lockheed Martin Agreement 2013-2020 goal | Austronesia Defense Forum

That news/site is fake, its just one of those fanmade sites. Anti ship and Anti Sub will be covered by the 2 new frigates, GDP Class and the Pohang from korea at the moment. About Air Surveillance and Short/Medium range defense is still in talks with Israel (SPYDER will be the best candidate for that). Also Raytheon was awarded for the design and construction of coastal watch center.

US firm to build Phl $18-M coast watch system | Headlines, News, The Philippine Star | philstar.com

Aside from the Airtronic RPG-7, are we considering other anti-tank weapons such as the Panzerfaust 3 to replace the Armbrust weapons we have as well as recoilless guns to complement the RPG-7 and even MANPADS?

The Philippines, as an archipelagic nation state, with already over 100 million and with limited territory, has to take care of its citizenry and this is the main responsibility of the Philippine Government's Mandate to rule. The Government in Malacanang Palace are encouraged more than ever due to their nation's 7.5% GNP growth rate, billions of FDI going into the country from Japan, United States, EU and other relevant partners. Their country's growing IT and BPO global hub will continue to improve the standard of living of thousands upon thousands of its citizenry.

The Philippines , clearly now doing it right, is beginning to pay off its foreign debt and in earnest, have increased their national credit rating. This is catalyst for them to further improve the infrastructure as clearly their government knows that the Philippines has a highly trainable, highly intelligent and hard working civil population. This is the reason why we are seeing growth in many of her cities such as Cebu, Mandaue, Iloilo City, Bacolod, and recently they have been increasing the supply chain capacties in their cities in the south such as Davao City, Cagayan De Oro City, Batuan City, and General Santos City.

Spurred with the recent peace cooperation between the Philippine Government and MILF/ MNLF, Bangsamoro Force,s we are looking at ever-growing peaceful infrastructure growth in Mindanao. I've some friends who collaborate with the Philippines' DILG (Department of Interior and Local Government) Region VII (Cebu - Bohol - Leyte) and they tell me that there are mor and more Japanese investors making their presence known in the southern Mindanao as Japan sees Philippines as its major industrial hub long term. I see the positive effects in this because the presence of Japanese businesses expanding in the Philippines means more job opportunities for the people, which directly relates to reduction in social strains which have been used as catalysts for separatist and communists forces such as the NPA.
This goes back to my earlier point of Philippines' Mandate to secure its citizenry with jobs, resources.

Externally speaking, the Philippines is doing it the right way by evading in overly-diverting its much needed resources for military development. They are developing their armed forces proportionally, and at the same time developing their diplomatic defensive apparatus by forging defense cooperation with nations such as Japan, Australia, Indonesia, Vietnam, India, Malaysia, Singapore. This goes back to Malacanang's premise of sustainable development, which is, in my opinion, a responsible and pragmatic outlook. They are making leaps and strides as we speak. Time will judge them favorably.

Agree with your point.......However, does it means Vietnam (who to Philippine standard overspends on its military) has got its priorities wrong by focusing too much on defence/military than improving their citizens living standards?:undecided: Lol

ha ha ha se go ro ensek yan pero yong la-la-ke gina-gamet mali nga bandyera.. :p:

First time i heard that saying. lol.

Any news on possible ASM acquisitions ?

Made it for us Filipinos to understand sorry
Remember the flak China got last year by the media about how little they donated?

This is why China / HK / Taiwan only focused on material support instead of writing the Philippines a huge cheque after Typhoon Haiyan. They know the Philippines officials will just pocket half of it and use the other half to buy weapons even even before the devastated towns have been re-built.

At least the Chinese government has common sense...while my dumb "conservative" government donated more than practically everyone per capita while running a deficit and cutting "high cost" social programs for Canadians. Not to mention all the extra Filipino "temporary" foreign workers they let in while our kids can't get a job to support their now even more expensive education.

Ok were is your evidence troll?

They favor domestic development right now , and one can see this in terms of educational strides in the Philippines. Their country, tho still developing, has a very high literacy rate, there numerous of skilled, educated professionals in the Philippines, so much that the labor market exceeds actual positions available. Give them 10-15 years and you will see great strides. As for military defense, the Philippines is doing so according to her standard, and quite frankly they don't really have any outright enemies. China may be a territorial competitor, but realistically no conflict will arise as there are geostrategic repercussions if such forgone exigency should come to the fore.

Again our constitution limits the Military budget education and health takes a huge part of the budget

Aside from the Airtronic RPG-7, are we considering other anti-tank weapons such as the Panzerfaust 3 to replace the Armbrust weapons we have as well as recoilless guns to complement the RPG-7 and even MANPADS?

Kabayan the Panzerfaust 3 is good but i think the Spike missiles should be next we should limit our weapons to two types logistics nightmare and small budget is the problem of the Philippine military so we have to limit our weapons to three or two types and maximized everything with spikes missiles we can have then on ships, armoured vechiles, and for the infantry so basicly one weapon system for the whole military save money and time for training more money to use on training building and buying more ordinance and systems needed.

So are they looking to buy some submarines?

Ya but thats on the final list for the Navy they want more ships to replace our old ones and weapons ordinance replacements for old weapons and ordinances so in short we are raping up phase 1 (which is upgrading of weapons, ships and other assets and training) of the Navy's moderinzation and starting of phase 2 buy buying helicopters both Antisub helicopters and more utility helicopters for the navy along with buying new frigates and corvettes and support ships so phase 3 is more ships plus submarines

LOL! Yes, I decided to give some additional information and wanted to give some reasons for Manila's demographic investiture. As I have a lot of contacts in the Philippines. I should also say that I should have also tagged @mike2000 ! LOL

But yes Sven, I agree with you, for the Philippines an ASM procurement is definitely important. Tho since they are cradled into America's hands vis-a-vis the MDT, and since they are already developing strong relation with Japan and are practically home to 1/3rd of all Japan's Offshoring in ASEAN, they are clearly protected under Japanese Self Defense Law. Plus, there are over 150,000 Japanese Nationals that live and reside in the Philippines and thus any attack on the Philippines would thus force the JSDF to protect Japanese citizens there. Out of all the countries in ASEAN, it is the Philippines that is "safe" as it is under the American and Japanese defensive umbrella. Thus they have more leverage to "take their time" so to say, but they should kick it up a notch....

Joining date: May 29, 2014
Avg per month: 1683.5:cheesy::cheesy:
Avg per day: 56.11 :cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

where am i :cray::cray::cray::cray::cray:

It is because China is so big and Vietnam/Philippine is so small..
China can afford certain lose while other country cannot..

Anyway, remain a half still strengthen PH defense.
See Xu Caihou case and other cases, and tell us how many percent loss in China ? And China still become stronger.

Back
Top Bottom