What's new

Philippines Announces $2 Billion Defense Expansion

There is a possibility that Communist militants and Islamic Fundamentalists here in the Philippines might be using caves even though most of the fight happen in jungles and since Communist groups goes to mountains to train, there is a chance that they may be using caves. It is better to have one and not use it than wish for one but don't have it.

Other than advance weapons system, it would be wise to buy a lot of anti-tank weapons and cheap MANPADS and train 50% of the population (those who are not in the Philippine military) into something similar to Volkssturm if everything comes to a war with China. Most wars is about making a point about something unless China plans to use the so-called traditional definition of war which means "completely exterminate the enemy then take their land."

Also, it makes me wonder if we had activated Bataan nuke power plant and build more, would it come into our minds that we should acquire nukes.
Anti-tank weapons?

The terrain of the Philippines is horrible for tanks. If a tank was deployed into the Philippines, it has a high chance of sinking into the ground, and plus, I don't think any of the bridges support the heavy weight of a tank.

Also, I don't think Philippines has the know-hows to develop a nuclear weapon. Heck, even North Korea is already ahead, despite the quality of their missiles and nuclear weapons.

Not only that, but I also doubt China would waste millions of dollars on a worthless war against the Armed Forces of the Philippines, despite the PLA's technological and numerical advantages above the AFP.

But yes Sven, I agree with you, for the Philippines an ASM procurement is definitely important. Tho since they are cradled into America's hands vis-a-vis the MDT, and since they are already developing strong relation with Japan and are practically home to 1/3rd of all Japan's Offshoring in ASEAN, they are clearly protected under Japanese Self Defense Law. Plus, there are over 150,000 Japanese Nationals that live and reside in the Philippines and thus any attack on the Philippines would thus force the JSDF to protect Japanese citizens there. Out of all the countries in ASEAN, it is the Philippines that is "safe" as it is under the American and Japanese defensive umbrella. Thus they have more leverage to "take their time" so to say, but they should kick it up a notch....

:o:o_O

Again our constitution limits the Military budget education and health takes a huge part of the budget

Thats a good policy bros.Improving your people's living standards before buying fancy weapons is the way to go. Though Philippines need to increase it defence budget a little bit in the range of 1.5-2% of its GDP that will be a good step. Kudos for philippines leaders prioritizing education/health first. :cheers:

Anti-tank weapons?

The terrain of the Philippines is horrible for tanks. If a tank was deployed into the Philippines, it has a high chance of sinking into the ground, and plus, I don't think any of the bridges support the heavy weight of a tank.

Also, I don't think Philippines has the know-hows to develop a nuclear weapon. Heck, even North Korea is already ahead, despite the quality of their missiles and nuclear weapons.

Not only that, but I also doubt China would waste millions of dollars on a worthless war against the Armed Forces of the Philippines, despite the PLA's technological and numerical advantages above the AFP.

Anti-tank weapon can be use other than from what intended purpose it was made - such examples are the American/Isareli Mk. 153 SMAW and German Panzerfaust 3 which are anti-tank weapon and can be used as an anti-fortification weapon and the American M202 FLASH which is an "incendiary" weapon in the sense that it uses incendiary material instead of high-explosives although it was said that a prototype HEAT rocket was made for the M202 and theoretically, making the weapon as a "multishot" anti-tank weapon..

The PH could have made one if the Bataan nuke was used and a uranium enrichment device is available here but US authorities would be likely against that and had the PH made one or at least posses uranium enrichment tech, US would likely sanction the PH very hard.

You may be right about the China military not wasting millions as they are likely arming themselves just to show that America will not be able to push them around. Vietnam on the other hand is a different discussion considering the heated "debates" here between the two (China and Vietnam).

Last edited:
The PH could have made one if the Bataan nuke was used and a uranium enrichment device is available here but US authorities would be likely against that and had the PH made one or at least posses uranium enrichment tech, US would likely sanction the PH very hard.
Pretty much.

But, if Philippines was to actually start a nuclear weapons program this or next year, China would sabotage it. By either sending spies, or by just simply sending bombers armed with cruiser missiles to destroy the nuclear plant.

But realistically and rationally, Philippines does not have the knowledge and the technology, and the resources also.

We would probably focused in buying "newer ship" (refurbished US or European ship, unless we look somewhere else like South Korea or Indonesia) and more jet fighters. I really feel the AW-109 are not enough - those are like armed reconnaissance helicopters similar to the Tiger ARH variant helicopter.

We would probably focused in buying "newer ship" (refurbished US or European ship, unless we look somewhere else like South Korea or Indonesia) and more jet fighters. I really feel the AW-109 are not enough - those are like armed reconnaissance helicopters similar to the Tiger ARH variant helicopter.

i know right, the first three 109's are more like border patrol duties. the last two the navy said well be armed, but i dont know how. they already arrive but till now i don't see any pics.

i know right, the first three 109's are more like border patrol duties. the last two the navy said well be armed, but i dont know how. they already arrive but till now i don't see any pics.

Probably armed with air-to-ship torpedoes as this is one possible way to counter ships and possibly submarines.

Probably armed with air-to-ship torpedoes as this is one possible way to counter ships and possibly submarines.

Those 2 will be on the GDP class so you probably right on anti ship/anti sub capability. maybe they are just like the first 3 for now and the navy is just waiting for the anti sub helo bidding to finalized for commonality in sensors and weapons .

Those 2 will be on the GDP class so you probably right on anti ship/anti sub capability. maybe they are just like the first 3 for now and the navy is just waiting for the anti sub helo bidding to finalized for commonality in sensors and weapons .

can philippine posters here give me any details about the armament of the Gregorio Del Pillar class Frigate? i'm kinda lazy to googling right now :flame:

brp_gregorio_del_pilar__pf_15__by_snitchpogi12-d502mk2.jpg

You did not know that, Mike? Its explicitly documented as part of the Government of Japan's Policy relating to the responsibilities of the Japanese Self Defense Force concerning the protection of Japanese interests and Japanese citizens in foreign territories. Let me provide Japanese Government Policy regarding this:

Use of Weapons Associated with International Peace Cooperation Activities

A. From the perspective of a "Proactive Contribution to Peace" based on the principle of international cooperation, Japan needs to enhance its efforts to promote the peace and stability of the international community. To that end, it is important to be able to participate in international peace cooperation activities including peace keeping operations (PKOs) sufficiently and proactively. Moreover, given that many Japanese nationals are actively working overseas and face risks of being involved in emergency situations such as terrorism, it is necessary to enable the rescuing of Japanese nationals abroad by use of weapons subject to the consent of acceptance from the territorial State which, under international law, has the obligation to extend protection to foreigners who are within its territories.

Measures for Self-Defense Permitted under Article 9 of the Constitution

(1) In order to adapt to the changes in the security environment surrounding Japan and secure the lives and peaceful livelihood of its people under any situations, the Government has examined what constitutional interpretation would be appropriate, as sufficient responses would not necessarily be possible if the constitutional interpretation to date were maintained. In this regard, logical consistency and legal stability are required for the Government's constitutional interpretation. Accordingly, it is necessary to draw a logical conclusion for securing the lives and peaceful livelihood of its people within the limit of the basic logic of the interpretation of Article 9 of the Constitution as expressed by the Government to date.

(4) As a matter of course, Japan's "use of force" must be carried out while observing international law. At the same time, a legal basis in international law and constitutional interpretation need to be understood separately. In certain situations, the aforementioned "use of force" permitted under the Constitution is, under international law, based on the right of collective self-defense. Although this "use of force" includes those which are triggered by an armed attack occurring against a foreign country, they are permitted under the Constitution only when they are taken as measures for self-defense which are inevitable for ensuring Japan's survival and protecting its people, in other words for defending Japan.

title.jpg

Cabinet Decision on Development of Seamless Security Legislation to Ensure Japan's Survival and Protect its People | Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan

:o:o_O

Thats a good policy bros.Improving your people's living standards before buying fancy weapons is the way to go. Though Philippines need to increase it defence budget a little bit in the range of 1.5-2% of its GDP that will be a good step. Kudos for philippines leaders prioritizing education/health first. :cheers:

Yes it is its being done so whats the problem i mean we have to bid and pay then wait for 1 to 5 years for the shipments buying weapons is not taking things in you local supermarket you have a process to start with so buy early

Pretty much.

But, if Philippines was to actually start a nuclear weapons program this or next year, China would sabotage it. By either sending spies, or by just simply sending bombers armed with cruiser missiles to destroy the nuclear plant.

But realistically and rationally, Philippines does not have the knowledge and the technology, and the resources also.

Constitution does not allow Nuclear weapons if your true filipino you should know that. And we do have a nuclear institute but its focus on nuclear energy not on weapons even though in marcos era they were also doing studies on nuke weapons but after the 1987 constitution the Philippines does not allow nuke weapons on its territory or allowed to build them but that can change if the constitution is change

Constitution does not allow Nuclear weapons if your true filipino you should know that.
Of course I knew that. Just because I didn't point that out doesn't mean I'm some Chinese troll.

Back
Top Bottom