What's new

Philippines Announces $2 Billion Defense Expansion

In regards to Japanese nationals who have Japanese citizenship and live in the west say the United States, Canada, Britain, France, Germany, et al, there is already a pre-existing cooperative agreement with these nations (US is an ally, and most of Europe is part of Nato, which is a military partner of Japan's) in regards for the protection of our citizens there. So there is no worry on our part.

In regards to the Brazilians who have Japanese ancestry; yes there are over 1 million of them, however, many of them are 2nd or 3rd even 4th generation Japanese. They are Brazilian citizens and are thus subject to the laws of Republic of Brazil, not Japan. So our intervention there does not apply. The Collective Self Defense only applies for the protection of Japanese Nationals , meaning persons who have Japanese Citizenship, not persons who have Japanese background. An American can have Japanese ancestry, or an Australian can have Japanese ancestry, heck even a Chinese may have Japanese ancestry but they are still citizens of their primary countries first. Does that make sense, Mike-san?

Japan does actively intervene in behalf of our citizens abroad. And in regards to the Philippines, it is a special case. The Philippines is home to over 1,300 Japanese businesses that have offshored there, thus is home to the greatest number of Japanese assets in the entire ASEAN. Not only that, there are over 150,000 Japanese Citizens that live, reside, work in the Philippines and thus the Philippines clearly is included in Japan's Collective Self Defense. The Defense cooperation agreement the Philippines have with us recently cements this relationship that has been a success of Japanese-Filipino bilateral defense agreement.

I believe that there will be no serious military threat to the Philippines, aside from minor territorial differences regarding the other claimants in the SCS. Strategically, and tactically speaking, the Philippines is protected not only by the United States's MDT, but also through Japan's Collective Self Defense. :)

The Chief of Staff of the Japan Ground Self Defense Force (JGSDF), General Kiyofumi Iwata, visited the Philippine Army on September 8-9, 2014. Army Chief Lt Gen Hernando DCA Iriberri welcomed Gen Iwata at Headquarters Philippine Army on Monday, September 8. He was accorded with military honors upon his arrival.

Discussed during the visit were measures on how to further improve the existing relationship between the Japan Army and Philippine Army, with the end goal of strengthening the defense cooperation between Japan and Philippines.

View attachment 162992

That is correct. The Philippines is of high strategic value for Japan , defense cooperation is seen through naval exercises, military-to-military coordination, as well as the growing Philippine Army - Japan Ground Self Defense Force cooperation plans.

For one; Taiwan will never go to war with the Philippines. I can guarantee you that. Second, Vietnam is not as imbecilic to war with the Philippines , it would be antithetical to their strategic visage of gaining international support and courting the US-Japanese Global Alliance.

As for China; I do not think the Chinese will engage in a military confrontation with the Philippines over islets, and risk the loss of the $340 Billion Japanese-Chinese Bilateral Trade, or the loss of the $590 Billion Chinese-US bilateral trade. I doubt some minor uninhabited reefs is worth the loss to nearly $1 Trillion Dollars of trade. :)

Mike and Zero_Wing,

In the event that a foreign country attacks the Philippines, launches strikes on civilian centers of the Philippines (Manila, Cebu, Davao, Puerto Princessa, CDO, Makati, Quezon, et al) and endangers the lives of the 150,000 Japanese citizens there, then the JSDF will be mobilized to protect and defend our citizens. In the event that the Philippine Government requests Japan's military intervention, Japanese Government will be obliged to defend a partner and ally.

Imagine the full mobilization of the Combined Fleet of the JMSDF with the US Navy's 7th Fleet. I doubt any nation would want to engage with such fire power. Clearly it is not worth to attack the Philippines. The cost exceeds the benefits, in regards to the attacker's vantage point.

Hmmm, It wouldn't be a bad idea to form a new flotilla with the new ships that are coming online and base it in Pinoy land, at least part time.

And in that case, it would be a good idea for the Japanese force to have a few Japanese civilians in charge of "cultural integration", PR, etc in order to facilitate an smooth situation between the forces deployed there and the civilian population. I know a guy in New Jersey that could possibly volunteer for that job since his extensive experience with the local Cebuanas will surely facilitate the Japanese-Filipino integration, am I right? Its not an easy job having to interact with all those cebuanas, but hey, someone has to make a sacrifice and do it, right? Can you handle that?

Of course me and Zero_wing both know no country will ever launch a full scale assault/invade/attack the whole Philippines/bomb civilian centers etc. We live in the 21 st century man, there is not going to be a total war where one country tries to take over the other entirely/rule that country. That's unfeasible. What we are talking about is the islands disputes in the SCS which the Philippines, Taiwan, China, Vietnam, and Malaysia. So in the event one party takes over a filipinos island like Vietnam did a long time ago with and China recently with scarborough and Thomas shoal, will Japan intervene to protect the Philippines since you said they have a mutual defence treaty?:what: Even the U.S didnt really intervene for some reason(which is unfortunate, since it made the Philippine to rightly question/be cautious about its defence treaty with the U.S.:tsk:) . If the U.S and Japan cant officially/openly say/publish that they will protect the Philippines in case any country takes over Philippines islands in SCS then the treaty is useless. The U.S and Japan should make it clear to every country in the region that the stand by the Philppines and will do anything it takes to intervene/fight off any country who attempts to take over filipions islands. Only in doing that, will they scare off any other potential country from thinking about taking/seizing/blockading Philippines islands. Countries in the region do this to philippines because they know they are the weakest country in the region. This is not fair.:tsk: Hopefully the Philippines has taken note of its defence deficiencies and is taking actions to stop this. So this defence increase is a welcome sign, though much needs to be done. Just like the Vietnamese seemed to have learned(i admire them alot for their defence/military preparedness): NEVER EXPECT ANYTHING FROM OTHERS, AND YOU WILL NEVER BE DISSAPOINTED).:bounce::cheers:

As for the Japanese Defence forces protecting their citizens overseas, well last i checked, i guess there are more Japanese citizens living/working in China and South Korea than even in Philippines. So in case this citizens are threatened, will Japan intervene in these countries to protect its citizens as well? :cheesy: That reminds me alot of Russia protecting its citizens in Crimea.:chilli: I dont think that is feasible bro. Its just s statement/official rhetoric from Japan i guess(just like i said, many countries also have this policy officially, but apart from the U.S, and recently Russia, i dont see many countries who have/can put this into practice, since its very complicated).

We don't have a MDT treaty with the Philippines regarding issues of territoriality. And Japan prefers not to involve itself in this issue , rather encouraging a resolution to the issue through international law and in peaceful manner. We are concerned since the SCS is a major route for Japanese merchant fleet and thus freedom of navigation is important.

The only way Japan would intervene is if Japanese citozen
Can you handle that?

I will answer this with my favorite phrase, "Oh gyud lagi uy!" @Ayan81 ha ha ha!

We don't have a MDT treaty with the Philippines regarding issues of territoriality. And Japan prefers not to involve itself in this issue , rather encouraging a resolution to the issue through international law and in peaceful manner. We are concerned since the SCS is a major route for Japanese merchant fleet and thus freedom of navigation is important.

The only way Japan would intervene is if Japanese citozen

I will answer this with my favorite phrase, "Oh gyud lagi uy!" @Ayan81 ha ha ha!

pag sure diha ba :woot:

Back
Top Bottom