What's new

Pew: Smartphone Ownership Is Growing Rapidly Around the World, but Not Always Equally

Hamartia Antidote

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
United States
http://www.pewglobal.org/2019/02/05...idly-around-the-world-but-not-always-equally/

Mobile technology has spread rapidly around the globe. Today, it is estimated that more than 5 billion people have mobile devices, and over half of these connections are smartphones. But the growth in mobile technology to date has not been equal, either across nations or within them. People in advanced economies are more likely to have mobile phones – smartphones in particular – and are more likely to use the internet and social media than people in emerging economies. For example, a median of 76% across 18 advanced economies surveyed have smartphones, compared with a median of only 45% in emerging economies.

Economic categorization
Smartphone ownership can vary widely by country, even across advanced economies. While around nine-in-ten or more South Koreans, Israelis and Dutch people own smartphones, ownership rates are closer to six-in-ten in other developed nations like Poland, Russia and Greece. In emerging economies, too, smartphone ownership rates vary substantially, from highs of 60% in South Africa and Brazil to just around four-in-ten in Indonesia, Kenya and Nigeria. Among the surveyed countries, ownership is lowest in India, where only 24% report having a smartphone.

PG_Global-technology-use-2018_2019-02-05_0-01.png

Whether in advanced or emerging economies, younger people, those with higher levels of education and those with higher incomes are more likely to be digitally connected.1 2 Younger people in every country surveyed are much more likely to have smartphones, access the internet and use social media. In all of the advanced economies surveyed, large majorities under the age of 35 own a smartphone. In contrast, smartphone ownership among advanced economies’ older populations varies widely, ranging from just about a quarter of Russians 50 and older to about nine-in-ten older South Koreans.

PG_Global-technology-use-2018_2019-02-05_0-02.png

However, in many of these advanced economies, the age gap in smartphone ownership has been closing since 2015. Two factors may contribute to this narrowing gap: First, those under 35 were already very likely to own smartphones when asked in 2015, presenting a “ceiling” of sorts. Second, the older age group appears to be steadily adopting smartphone technology. For example, nine-in-ten or more Americans ages 34 and under have had a smartphone since 2015, while the ownership rate among the 50-and-older age group has risen from 53% to 67% over the same period.

In most emerging economies, however, patterns of smartphone ownership look quite different. In these countries, ownership rates across all age groups tend to be lower than those seen in advanced economies. For example, while majorities of adults ages 50 and older own smartphones in many advanced economies, in no emerging economy surveyed do smartphone ownership rates among this older group rise above 35%.

PG_Global-technology-use-2018_2019-02-05_0-03.png

Further, in most emerging economies, the age gap in smartphone ownership has been growing in recent years. Although the older age group is more likely to have phones now than they were a few years ago, the rate of adoption has been much faster among the younger age group. In the Philippines, for example, those 34 and under are 47 percentage points more likely to have a smartphone today than those ages 50 and older – compared with a gap of only 23 percentage points in 2015.

PG_Global-technology-use-2018_2019-02-05_0-04.png

Education and income level also play sizable roles when it comes to explaining differences in technological use in most countries. In every country surveyed, better-educated and higher-income people are more likely to use the internet than people with lower levels of education or income. And in nearly every country, the same is true of social media use. The education gaps in emerging economies are especially wide. For example, a majority of Nigerians with a secondary education or more use social media (58%) compared with just 10% of Nigerians with less education, for a gap of 48 percentage points. The education gap in internet use is an even wider 53 points: 65% of more-educated Nigerians use the internet compared with just 12% of those with lower levels of education.

In contrast, gender plays only a limited role in explaining differences in technological use in most countries. Whether in advanced or emerging economies, men and women generally use technology – including smartphones, the internet and social media – at similar rates. For example, the gender gap in smartphone ownership is usually in the mid-single digits, where gaps exist at all. In Japan, for instance, 69% of men own smartphones compared with 63% of women. And, in most countries, men and women have largely obtained smartphones at similar rates in recent years, meaning that the gender gap in usage has remained constant. In Brazil, for example, while 38% of women and 43% of men owned smartphones in 2015, today 57% of women and 63% own them – a nearly identical gap at both points in time.

The notable exception to this pattern is India, where men (34%) are much more likely than women (15%) to own smartphones – a gap of 19 percentage points. And India’s gender gap is growing: Today’s gap is 10 points wider than it was just five years ago (then, 16% of men and 7% of women owned smartphones).

These are among the major findings from a Pew Research Center survey conducted among 30,133 people in 27 countries from May 14 to Aug. 12, 2018.

PG_Global-technology-use-2018_2019-02-05_3-01.png

These PEW folks are less than clueful, which is an understatement.

The number of Cellphone users in Bangladesh (according to their govt.) is 157 Million. Yes 50% of the US population.

There is NO mention of this in these 'stats'. A bunch of hooey - if you ask me. Cellphone ownership and being a part of an 'advanced economy' aren't really analogous.

Also - these are the paying Internet subscribers as of DEC 2018 according to category.

INTERNET SUBSCRIBERS IN BANGLADESH (in Millions)

Mobile Internet
- 85.552 Million

WiMAX - 0.061 Million

ISP + PSTN - 5.735 Million

Total = 91.348 Million (Yes that's almost one-third of the population of the US).

These PEW guys need to buy some tickets to travel, or get better sources for their info.

Sources:

1. http://www.btrc.gov.bd/content/mobile-phone-subscribers-bangladesh-december-2018
2. http://www.btrc.gov.bd/content/internet-subscribers-bangladesh-december-2018

The number of Cellphone users in Bangladesh (according to their govt.) is 157 Million. Yes 50% of the US population.

There is NO mention of this in these 'stats'. A bunch of hooey - if you ask me. Cellphone ownership and being a part of an 'advanced economy' aren't really analogous.

Also - these are the paying Internet subscribers as of DEC 2018 according to category.

Mobile Internet
- 85.552 Million

WiMAX - 0.061 Million

Total = 91.348 Million (Yes that's almost one-third of the population of the US).

These PEW guys need to buy some tickets to travel, or get better sources for their info.

Sources:

1. http://www.btrc.gov.bd/content/mobile-phone-subscribers-bangladesh-december-2018

Bangladesh isn't even mentioned in the article and there can always be countries that are exceptions.

Bangladesh isn't even mentioned in the article and there can always be countries that are exceptions.

A very interesting survey and study by Pew. Thanks for posting buddy.

I would suggest ignoring the autistic screeching of the "Noakhali village idiot" as @bluesky calls him.

Do not let him colour your impression of fairer minded BD members like @Mage @Tanveer666 @Avicenna @Atlas and a few others.

Firstly, as you have pointed out, the study does not even include Bangladesh in first place so no idea why this is triggering him to begin with. The study didn't go to every developing country in the world or even all the major ones....just a selection of them to get some representation of the concept/trend.

Secondly, the autistic screeching post he has made (copy paste style) in an attempt to lance these imaginary windmills of his.....ignores the fact that end use surveys (i.e actual individual reporting of end-use/ownership) like this one done by pew are the clear gold standard than anything that is done by a Bangladeshi reporting authority using their much more local standards (individual IP = individual user which is ludicrous for international comparison if you know how IP range assignment works). I have pointed out their flaws before:

https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/over...use-internet-btrc.534430/page-2#post-10105036

https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/bangladesh-enters-4g-era-on-feb-19.544757/page-3#post-10289236

Internet live users is another one that does similar to pew (i.e actual standardised methodology for global use, rather than comparing apples to oranges):

http://www.internetlivestats.com/internet-users-by-country/

@VCheng @scorpionx @Joe Shearer @jbgt90 @GeraltofRivia @Game.Invade @That Guy @T-123456 @Vergennes @KAL-EL @Major Sam @Viet @Mista @serenity

@Gibbs @Godman

Mobile Internet
- 85.552 Million

WiMAX - 0.061 Million

Sources:

I think the fine folks at PEW chose not to conduct they survey at BD, i don't see why one would get upset by it?

The good thing is almost half of the country has access to the internet. But now task is to encourage them so that they use the Internet for meaningful stuff, not just to log onto fb and watch random videos on Youtube.

like this one done by pew are the clear gold standard than anything that is done by a Bangladeshi reporting authority using their much more local standards (individual IP = individual user which is ludicrous for international comparison if you know how IP range assignment works). I have pointed out their flaws before:

Where was it mentioned that BTRC used that method to measure users? just curious.

I think the fine folks at PEW chose not to conduct they survey at BD, i don't see why one would get upset by it?

The good thing is almost half of the country has access to the internet. But now task is to encourage them so that they use the Internet for meaningful stuff, not just to log onto fb and watch random videos on Youtube.

Where was it mentioned that BTRC used that method to measure users? just curious.

http://bdnews24.com/business/2016/0...desh-cross-60-million-says-telecoms-regulator

BTRC derives the figures from data of SIM cards sold by the six operators in Bangladesh, but not all of them are active.

Operators say that around 80 million SIMs are currently active.
(140 million total bought apparently - so one can recognise the basic issue already)

Combine with:

An increase in internet subscribers for ISPs and PSTNs (public switched telephone network) has been recorded

(and no clarification how this is done and correlated to actual active use...gross IP data envelope at least needs some correlation process deflator by sampling end use to standardise for comparison with other countries that go for qualitative number rather than quantitative envelope).

Combine with:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_in_Bangladesh#Broadband

According to BTRC data, there were 5.735 million broadband connections in November 2018.[34] Though broadband Internet access is available, the charges for high speed connections are higher than in other south Asian countries, though this is changing. In Bangladesh Broadband is legally defined as 128/128 kbit/s, which is not in line with the ITU's definition and many broadband Internet services may not be considered true broadband internationally.

Hence why I go with internation standardised definition (ITU) and end use multi-variable survey like internet live user estimates.

interesting, no data for China, I suspect China, despite being a developing country, has very high smartphone ownership.

interesting, no data for China, I suspect China, despite being a developing country, has very high smartphone ownership.

I would say China is straddling somewhat between emerging and advanced...it is its own category right now. So maybe similar to Brazil + South Africa in the emerging bracket (60% ownership) and the lower ownership ones in the advanced bracket.

The GDP per capita (minus inflation) is about the same overall region:

https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/NY.GDP.PCAP.KD?locations=BR-CN-ZA

Does China have its own surveying process/results for smartphone ownership/use?

@GeraltofRivia @Two @Genesis @serenity

http://bdnews24.com/business/2016/0...desh-cross-60-million-says-telecoms-regulator

BTRC derives the figures from data of SIM cards sold by the six operators in Bangladesh, but not all of them are active.

Operators say that around 80 million SIMs are currently active.
(140 million total bought apparently - so one can recognise the basic issue already)

Combine with:

An increase in internet subscribers for ISPs and PSTNs (public switched telephone network) has been recorded

(and no clarification how this is done and correlated to actual active use...gross IP data envelope at least needs some correlation process deflator by sampling end use to standardise for comparison with other countries that go for qualitative number rather than quantitative envelope).

Combine with:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_in_Bangladesh#Broadband

According to BTRC data, there were 5.735 million broadband connections in November 2018.[34] Though broadband Internet access is available, the charges for high speed connections are higher than in other south Asian countries, though this is changing. In Bangladesh Broadband is legally defined as 128/128 kbit/s, which is not in line with the ITU's definition and many broadband Internet services may not be considered true broadband internationally.

Hence why I go with internation standardised definition (ITU) and end use multi-variable survey like internet live user estimates.

None of the articles above actually mentioned that BTRC that BTRC uses IP addresses to measure the active subscriber count.

but i do recall that BTRC counted a "sim" as a unique user if that SIM was used to access the Internet at least once in a month. It is problematic as people tend to own 2 or more sim cards, there is a possibility for a user to be counted twice.
So, not entirely accurate.

None of the articles above actually mentioned that BTRC that BTRC uses IP addresses to measure the active subscriber count.

but i do recall that BTRC counted a "sim" as a unique user if that SIM was used to access the Internet at least once in a month. It is problematic as people tend to own 2 or more sim cards, there is a possibility for a user to be counted twice.
So, not entirely accurate.

Its just one article. I would have to dig the conversations where this all started to find the IP thing...I think topcat and I had a chat about it (he was telling me about how he uses different IP's and such at work and they would all basically count towards the BTRC tracking). Some of it could be deleted too. I'll have a look later maybe.

I would say China is straddling somewhat between emerging and advanced...it is its own category right now. So maybe similar to Brazil + South Africa in the emerging bracket (60% ownership) and the lower ownership ones in the advanced bracket.

The data is easily accessible by Google.
But this article wants to say that China does not have a smartphone. it's boring. So we don't participate.

According to Pew’s 2017 report, China’s smartphone ownership rate was 68%, which is somewhere in the middle. Guess it would be higher by now but I cannot find any newer figures.
21326B1E-B78F-45DC-91FE-7BBD1EDAC368.png

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2017/03/16/china-outpaces-india-in-internet-access-smartphone-ownership/%3famp=1

Pew is not a reliable source for anything, at least to me. It's more of a feel rather than hard data.

Not going to link it because it is Chinese, based on China mobile numbers, it has a total user number of 1.2 billion, of which 746 million is Smartphones.

Based on all three major networks, the total smartphone number is 1.2 billion. That's around 86%. Is that unique users? Not sure, but I believe a number around ~80% is a reasonable estimate.

The point is - it should have been. These people are obviously noobs to leave out a major market like Bangladesh. There are countries in Europe which are far smaller and more inconsequential that were mentioned in this joke of a report.

If I was a thesis reviewer I'd give this a big fat 'F'.....

The sheer number of middle class folks in Bangladesh (with purchasing power to match Europeans in similar lifestyle circumstances) exceed that of a lot of countries in Europe (I read somewhere that the number of Internet users in Bangladesh exceed that of the majority of the Eurozone.

Just goes to show the stupidity in Western intellectual circles as far as finding markets for their products. Too lazy and too set in their old ways to change.

I guess the Chinese will have their cake and eat it too....

The point is - it should have been. These people are obviously noobs to leave out a major market like Bangladesh. There are countries in Europe which are far smaller and more inconsequential that were mentioned in this joke of a report.

If I was a thesis reviewer I'd give this a big fat 'F'.....

The sheer number of middle class folks in Bangladesh (with purchasing power to match Europeans in similar lifestyle circumstances) exceed that of a lot of countries in Europe (I read somewhere that the number of Internet users in Bangladesh exceed that of the majority of the Eurozone.

Just goes to show the stupidity in Western intellectual circles as far as finding markets for their products. Too lazy and too set in their old ways to change.

I guess the Chinese will have their cake and eat it too....

A country with 170+ million people have to buy more than 20,000 (mostly used) cars a year and also consume more than 300 kg of oil equivalent per capita of energy a year to be counted as a truly emerging country.

Otherwise it just gets rightfully ignored....no matter what its fake govt with its fake statistics like to claim to feel better.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom