ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh

Peter Haas meets families of victims of enforced disappearance​

Wed Dec 14, 2022 07:12 PM Last update on: Wed Dec 14, 2022 09:18 PM
Photo: Collected
1671495739828.png

US Ambassador to Bangladesh, Peter Haas, met families of victims of enforced disappearance in Dhaka's Shaheenbagh area this morning where they shared their ordeal over the years.
Haas went to the house of BNP leader Sajedul Islam Sumon, a victim of enforced disappearance in 2013, where other families gathered as well.

For all latest news, follow The Daily Star's Google News channel.

The event was arranged by 'Mayer Dak', a platform that holds programmes on different occasions every year demanding the return of victims of enforced disappearance. Sumon's mother is the key organiser of the platform.
The ambassador went to the house around 9:00am and left at 9:35am after talking to the families, Sanjida Islam, Sumon's sister, told The Daily Star.

"We have been demanding for the return of our loved ones for around 10 years but the government is doing nothing… rather threats from different quarters have increased recently," Sanjida said.
The families screened stories of their ordeal and sufferings and placed some points regarding their demands to the ambassador.
The points include forming an independent and impartial investigation involving people from judiciary and civil society, an end to lying about secret detention and disappearance, allowing families of victims of enforced disappearance, disclosing the fate of victims of enforced disappearance.

Meanwhile, Mayer Kanna, a platform representing families of the victims of 1977 court martial, went in front of the Sumon's house before the ambassador's arrival.

They have been demanding justice for the victims of court martial which operated during the regime of late president Ziaur Rahman. Suman's sister alleged Awami League men and members of an organisation "Mayer Kanna" took position in front of their house.

Peter Haas meets families of victims of enforced disappearance
Why Hasina harasses the American Ambassador instead of sending jet planes and naval ships to American shores to teach that idiot country a good lesson??

The BAL brat @Homo Sapiens was telling BD has already built hundreds and thousands of drones. These BD drones should be sent to punish America for interfering in BD's domestic affairs.

BD people do not want a fair election but America wants one.

Why Hasina harasses the American Ambassador instead of sending jet planes and naval ships to American shores to teach that idiot country a good lesson??

The BAL brat @Homo Sapiens was telling BD has already built hundreds and thousands of drones. These BD drones should be sent to punish America for interfering in BD's domestic affairs.

BD people do not want a fair election but America wants one.

Your white baap needs to be kicked out.

Would he dare meet the Muslim victims of ModiG’s pogroms?

It’s the classic way the Americans bullies Muslim countries.

Your white baap needs to be kicked out.

Would he dare meet the Muslim victims of ModiG’s pogroms?

It’s the classic way the Americans bullies Muslim countries.

Pathetic imbeciles who wants outsiders to interfere in BD matters.

BD is not a mature enough country that human rights on the level of Norway can be implemented right now.

That is one of the reasons that Arabs are in the state they are.

Let the US show "concern" as it will make no difference to who rules BD and in what manner.

Last edited:
Pathetic imbeciles who wants outsiders to interfere in BD matters.

BD is not a mature enough country that human rights on the level of Norway can be implemented right now.

That is one of the reasons that Arabs are in the state they are.

Let the US show "concern" at it will make no difference to who rules BD and in what manner.

These are the children of Mir Jafar.

That’s why Muslim Bengal keeps taking two step forward and one step back.

These are the children of Mir Jafar.

That’s why Muslim Bengal keeps taking two step forward and one step back.

They are irrelevant now.

Like I have stated there is no serious threat to Hasina's rule as she is balancing US-India and China all against each other and BD economy is strong.

If the US wants to topple BD government then India will be against it. There is far too much for India to lose both economically and in terms of its security if the current government was replaced.

They want to have a cry and have nothing better to do with their time and so let them indulge in pointless discussions.

I will not destroy my health and sanity over obsessing about toxic politics of Bangladesh like you. I will post both problems and prospects of Bangladesh without any political hang-up. I am not a fan of current Awami league regime. If a peaceful transfer of power happens it would be ideal, even a short but intense burst of popular movement removing this govt. would also suffice. But the worst thing that could happen to Bangladesh is prolonged and chronic political instability, chaos, climate of fear, hopelessness and uncertainty which will kill our business and investment prospects, which will ultimately destroy our economy and hope.

Compared to that, Govt. corruption and some big looters looting and siphoning of money abroad is a lot less harmful. Bangladesh will overcome their corruption and looting if there is a peace, political stability and certainty in business sectors and common people can work without disruption.

We got a once in a life time opportunity to pull our country ahead in the next three decades as long as demographic sweet spots exist. Other things can wait including restoration of democracy and right to vote, achieving economic growth should take precendence above all. So I am not a fan of replacing Awami group of looters with BNP looters with tremendous costs of political instability and violence. You should stop targeting me with your political bile which have no effect on me.

Last edited:
I am not a fan of current Awami league regime. If a peaceful transfer of power happens it would be ideal, even a short but intense burst of popular movement removing this govt. would also suffice.

This will not work and will negatively affect the economy and political stability.

BD is not ready for democracy and probably needs another 10 years at least of one party rule before this can be made to work.

They are irrelevant now.

Like I have stated there is no serious threat to Hasina's rule as she is balancing US-India and China all against each other and BD economy is strong.

If the US wants to topple BD government then India will be against it. There is far too much for India to lose both economically and in terms of its security if the current government was replaced.

They want to have a cry and have nothing better to do with their time and so let them indulge in pointless discussions.
My 🐈 after reading this post went like this :rofl:.
I apologize for my 🐈, he should know better !

I will not destroy my health and sanity over obsessing about toxic politics of Bangladesh like you. I will post both problems and prospects of Bangladesh without any political hang-up. I am not a fan of current Awami league regime. If a peaceful transfer of power happens it would be ideal, even a short but intense burst of popular movement removing this govt. would also suffice. But the worst thing that could happen to Bangladesh is prolonged and chronic political instability, chaos, climate of fear, hopelessness and uncertainty which will kill our business and investment prospects, which will ultimately destroy our economy and hope.

Compared to that, Govt. corruption and some big looters looting and siphoning of money abroad is a lot less harmful. Bangladesh will overcome their corruption and looting if there is a peace, political stability and certainty in business sectors and common people can work without disruption.

We got a once in a life time opportunity to pull our country ahead in the next three decades as long as demographic sweet spots exist. Other things can wait including restoration of democracy and right to vote, achieving economic growth should take precendence above all. So I am not a fan of replacing Awami group of looters with BNP looters with tremendous costs of political instability and violence. You should stop targeting me with your political bile which have no effect on me.

No one is shilling for BNP looters here.

Those looters are gone and six feet under.

But the death certificate of BAL leaders are also being currently written.

That is what everyone is wishing for - a more mature, educated and capable leadership that we in Bangladesh all deserve.

This will not work and will negatively affect the economy and political stability.

BD is not ready for democracy and probably needs another 10 years at least of one party rule before this can be made to work.

When you are wishing and shilling for status quo to remain, that means you tacitly approve of the rampant limitless looting - which is proven beyond a doubt.

You are then a beneficiary of this looting.

That cannot be justified or supported by any stretch of the imagination.

Show me the pictures of BD-built drones. Recently, you are sending so much positive news which is just false, You cannot save your BAL govt this way.

BAL does not want BD to industrialize because it wants to please both China and India. BD wants to import all things mechanical and electrical. This is why the FE reserves are so down. Wait for a few months, you will see the effects of importing pins to planes.

Koy din porey bolbey 2040 !

Hasina will turn into Bionic Woman?

Parts replacements will commence at some point.

iu
How often her son comes to Bangladesh now ?
I don't hear his Digital Bangladesh crap anymore.

How often her son comes to Bangladesh now ?
I don't hear his Digital Bangladesh crap anymore.

I think he got word that payback is comin'.......

Payback is a b*tch, as they say.....

But what him and mommy stashed away - can feed them for ages, and their progeny too....

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom