What's new

Per capita annual income rises to $1044 in 2012-13

I think its better and stronger for South Asia as a whole to do better. That's the way its worked through put history with all other regions and there's no reason it should be different here. Don't bring in religion here. The only thing that really talks in politics is money and power.

And specifically, you can dislike India but the reality right now is if India gets weaker, they go back to competing with Bangladesh on garments instated of growing their other industries.

Bangladesh needs to hold onto the garments sector cus all the other industries are young and doesn't bring in monster revenues right now. Wishing for India's downfall is like wishing to shoot yourself in the foot. Why do you think China was able to come up so quickly when India didnt do anywhere near as well over the last 30 years? The stability and economic progress in the surrounding region had a big effect for each country. So don't fall for the idiot Indians or equally stupid Bangladeshis wishing each other badly.

1) Did I say about religion? Religion is not relevant because every country is for itself.

2) Did I wish for India's downfall? Or does it matter even if someone wishes? India has to do all its homework. It borrowed easy money in the last decade and lent those to its big companies to acquire foreign assets. It did not develop its domestic industries as China would have done.

Anyway, who stops you wishing a good economic future for India? Go ahead. But, I do not really see any for the next 10 years. They borrowed money to eat Ghee. They will suffer for it. Who also can stop if Indian factories overwhelm our factories in the international market? But, it will not be that easy. There are many other factors other than a cheap price.

I am talking about the reality, but you are talking about praying and wishing. Reality is not compatible with wishing.

1) Did I say about religion? Religion is not relevant because every country is for itself.

People on this forum have brought up religion when I said before that it's important for individual countries in South Asia to do well if the whole region is going to do well. I didn't give you the benefit of the doubt.

By the way, your post isn't true at all. "Every country for itself" isn't how world economy has worked till now. Just on the VERY, VERY basic level (lets forget about trade/regional stability), a pretty big chunk of Bangladesh's GDP comes in from NRBs & growing foreign investment. Same is true for India.

2) Did I wish for India's downfall?

You sounded like you weren't too unhappy that India's doing poorly now. At best, you were neutral.

Or does it matter even if someone wishes?

It matters only to the extent that it tells me if you're intelligent or if you're dumb enough to think that some petty rivalry is more important than the economic fate of 18% of the world's population.

I think its better and stronger for South Asia as a whole to do better. That's the way its worked through put history with all other regions and there's no reason it should be different here. Don't bring in religion here. The only thing that really talks in politics is money and power.

And specifically, you can dislike India but the reality right now is if India gets weaker, they go back to competing with Bangladesh on garments instated of growing their other industries.

Bangladesh needs to hold onto the garments sector cus all the other industries are young and doesn't bring in monster revenues right now. Wishing for India's downfall is like wishing to shoot yourself in the foot. Why do you think China was able to come up so quickly when India didnt do anywhere near as well over the last 30 years? The stability and economic progress in the surrounding region had a big effect for each country. So don't fall for the idiot Indians or equally stupid Bangladeshis wishing each other badly.

Stronger or weaker Indian economy will make little difference to Bangladesh. Hong Kong, Singapore, S. Korea, Japan all developed keeping China as a 3rd world country. Indian economic model will only hurt us not benefit us.

Stronger or weaker Indian economy will make little difference to Bangladesh. Hong Kong, Singapore, S. Korea, Japan all developed keeping China as a 3rd world country. Indian economic model will only hurt us not benefit us.

At that time, China was isolationist, and communist-run. There wasn't much trade happening in between China and the rest of East Asia (or really China or anyone else, except other communist countries). Hong Kong, Taiwan, South Korea all came up together as capitalist countries using each other a trading partners. South Korea did a miraculous thing by developing in 30 years by building an extremely strong bond with Japan. China started to develop well when they opened up borders for trade - china is communist by name only. Since the mid 80s, China is a true example of efficient capitalism.

South Asia by and large is capitalist. Comparing capitalist India to communist China is something only the totally uneducated would do.

By the way, none of e East Asian countries "kept" China poor. China kept itself poor by choosing an idealistic and poorly functioning communist system.

At that time, China was atotal isolationist, and communist-run. There wasn't much trade happening in between China and therest of East Asia (or really China or anyone else, except other communist countries). Hong Kong, Taiwan, South Korea all came up together as capitalist countries using each other a trading partners. South Korea did a miraculous thing by developing in 30 years by building an extremely strong bond with Japan. China started to develop well when they opened up borders for trade - china is communist by name only. It is a true example of efficient capitalism.

South Asia by and large is capitalist. Comparing capitalist India to communist China is something only the totally uneducated would do.

By the way, none of e East Asian countries "kept" China poor. China kept itself poor by choosing an idealistic and poorly functioning communist system.

Neither we are keeping India poor. You are rightly said, we need to develop strong bonding with Japan, East Asia and west for us to develop. There is nothing we can follow or gain from India except ofcourse cheap agro raw materials.

Neither we are keeping India poor. You are rightly said, we need to develop strong bonding with Japan, East Asia and west for us to develop. There is nothing we can follow or gain from India except ofcourse cheap agro raw materials.

Listen son, I can tell you have no idea about economics so I'm about to teach you a listen. Pay attention.

There's something called regional economic stability. It means that if the countries surrounding you are stable, your country does better. If Pakistan has the Taliban everywhere, if Myanmar can't get its crap together, if the Indian economy continues to destabilize, that's bad news for Bangladesh.

I'll give you a concrete example : when Greece falls in Europe, Germany takes a big hit even though Germany is a rich, powerful country because they're allies in the same region.

On the flip side, South east Asian countries are coming up together (Thailand, Indonesia,Malaysia etc) because they're established trading partners with strong geographic ties.

But somehow, you want to ignore geographic allies - aka sri Lanka, India, Pakistan, Myanmar and think you're going to build this beautiful bond with japan.

By the way, I'm not saying its not to Bangladesh's advantage to build ties outside the region - especially China. But to ignore South Asian region and pretend they don't exist is just stupid.

Listen son, I can tell you have no idea about economics so I'm about to teach you a listen. Pay attention.

There's something called regional economic stability. It means that if the countries surrounding you are stable, your country does better. If Pakistan has the Taliban everywhere, if Myanmar can't get its crap together, if the Indian economy continues to destabilize, that's bad news for Bangladesh.

I'll give you a concrete example : when Greece falls in Europe, Germany takes a big hit even though Germany is a rich, powerful country because they're allies in the same region.

On the flip side, South east Asian countries are coming up together (Thailand, Indonesia,Malaysia etc) because they're established trading partners with strong geographic ties.

But somehow, you want to ignore geographic allies - aka sri Lanka, India, Pakistan, Myanmar and think you're going to build this beautiful bond with japan.

Ok grandpa, you probably forgot our economy is the independent one and not integrated with India for a better cause. We are not Greece who are the member of EU and lived beyond their means with the access to European Central Banks. That is the main reason we should keep ourselves as far as possible from Indian economy which is in danger of becoming a Greece.

Ok grandpa, you probably forgot our economy is the independent one and not integrated with India for a better cause. We are not Greece who are the member of EU and lived beyond their means with the access to European Central Banks. That is the main reason we should keep ourselves as far as possible from Indian economy which is in danger of becoming a Greece.
Meanwhile the INR is still miles ahead of taka and has gaining value for the last few days. Stop puking crap over and over.

Meanwhile the INR is still miles ahead of taka and has gaining value for the last few days. Stop puking crap over and over.

Miles ahead of taka?

It takes more Japanese yen to convert to 1 dollar but this does not mean that India has a better economy than Japan.

Sri Lanka and BD are leading the way for the Rest of South Asia.

A nation(BD) that only become independent in 1971 has just breached the US1,000 GDP/capita.

India needs to get it's act together soon or it may never do.

I also used to think the same thing that more integration with India may be beneficial for BD but now I am not so sure.

Time and time again the Indian state has failed to demonstrate basic economic competence. It's leaders seem more interested in getting re-elected, to the point that they will destroy the economy to do so.

Despite what you may say about the Awami League, it is following relatively sound fiscal policies which will ensure stable growth into the future.

It is time to ask why a state that is nearly 70 years old now is so incompetent when it comes to basic economic management. I have my theory but too many people will not want to hear it.

Its the relative strength of currency not the conversion rate which matters.

I also used to think the same thing that more integration with India may be beneficial for BD but now I am not so sure.

Time and time again the Indian state has failed to demonstrate basic economic competence. It's leaders seem more interested in getting re-elected, to the point that they will destroy the economy to do so.

Despite what you may say about the Awami League, it is following relatively sound fiscal policies which will ensure stable growth into the future.

It is time to ask why a state that is nearly 70 years old now is so incompetent when it comes to basic economic management. I have my theory but too many people will not want to hear it.

They found a buzz word called "REFORM". This reform thingy will destroy them for sure.

You're missing the general principle here.

Geographic regions establish trade agreements with each other. The current successful example is ASEAN (which includes the SE Asian countries). While SE Asian countries are developing successfully indepently, its a huge help to their cause that their neighbors are also doing well.

If you want to go back in history, after WW2, Europe was giving Germany huge loans. Was it because they loved the Nazis n Germany and wanted them to do well after that brutal war? No. It was because it was sound economic policy for their neighbor to do well.

There's also a SAARC trade agreement, between South Asian countries. Its currently failing and its part of the reason why India will continue to do poorly if it doesn't change. And India is doing poorly now, extremely inefficient beaurocracy.

Honestly, this emotional bs like "I hate Indians so I don't see the point in India doing well economically" is pointless. No one is telling you not to hate Indians. But it is better for them if Bangladesh does well and vice versa.

BTW, just on a humanitarian note: India has the biggest number of poor in the world. Do you really want to see hundreds of millions of people continue to suffer?

You're missing the general principle here.

Geographic regions establish trade agreements with each other. The current successful example is ASEAN (which includes the SE Asian countries). While SE Asian countries are developing successfully indepently, its a huge help to their cause that their neighbors are also doing well.

If you want to go back in history, after WW2, Europe was giving Germany huge loans. Was it because they loved the Nazis n Germany and wanted them to do well after that brutal war? No. It was because it was sound economic policy for their neighbor to do well.

There's also a SAARC trade agreement, between South Asian countries. Its currently failing and its part of the reason why India will continue to do poorly if it doesn't change. And India is doing poorly now, extremely inefficient beaurocracy.

Honestly, this emotional bs like "I hate Indians so I don't see the point in India doing well economically" is pointless. No one is telling you not to hate Indians. But it is better for them if Bangladesh does well and vice versa.

BTW, just on a humanitarian note: India has the biggest number of poor in the world. Do you really want to see hundreds of millions of people continue to suffer?

Give it a break dude.. We want to be the Japan of south asia and eventually rule over India. So keeping India weak and poor will eventually help our cause.

Anything else?

Give it a break dude.. We want to be the Japan of south asia and eventually rule over India. So keeping India weak and poor will eventually help our cause.

Anything else?
So the truth comes out. This isn't about economic development or wanting poor people to do better for you.

Instead this is a pissing contest between Bangladesh and India for you, totally forgetting that "keeping India weak and poor" means millions of child deaths, poor sanitation, poor education etc for a billion people.

And nevermind that if India stays poor, that'll slow down growth in Bangladesh. You will to shoot yourself in the foot to see your neighbor fail.

These nothing to say but "You're an idiot."

Back
Top Bottom