What's new

Per capita annual income rises to $1044 in 2012-13

The war between BD and PK in 71 has been giving India both strategical and economical benefit for 40+ years. It's a long term investment.

Generally, many Indian products like auto/machines are not exported to PK, so if we were PK today, India would not be able to export its such products to BD too. I am not saying that if we were with PK, BD's economy were more strong, but definitely India would not get such a big big market of 160 bn people in BD if we were PK today.

Plus, you must know how USA gets benefited from war/civil wars in other countries.

India's big market in BD is not a problem....given we get a big enough market in India....you cannot blame India for selling products to us....You have only BAL to blame because they have failed to get us a fair share of the Indian market....India will look at its own interest...we will have to look at our interests.Ofcourse India helped us in 71 for their benefit....If you were the Prime Minister of India at that time wouldn't you do the same thing?

The war between BD and PK in 71 has been giving India both strategical and economical benefit for 40+ years. It's a long term investment.

Generally, many Indian products like auto/machines are not exported to PK, so if we were PK today, India would not be able to export its such products to BD too. I am not saying that if we were with PK, BD's economy were more strong, but definitely India would not get such a big big market of 160 bn people in BD if we were PK today.

Plus, you must know how USA gets benefited from war/civil wars in other countries.

India's big market in BD is not a problem....given we get a big enough market in India....you cannot blame India for selling products to us....You have only BAL to blame because they have failed to get us a fair share of the Indian market....India will look at its own interest...we will have to look at our interests.Ofcourse India helped us in 71 for their benefit....If you were the Prime Minister of India at that time wouldn't you do the same thing?

Bold part: BD's economy has progressed only because of separation from Pakistan. Budgetary allotment for West pakistan was more than 2/3rd and that of east was less than 1/3rd throughout the 23 years of union.

So, should our independence be equated with what benefit India is getting when we ourselves are getting much more benefits because of availability of Indian raw materials and food?

I also told this before and I agree this. You might have noticed that I bash so AL more, but India very less. I can go with Indians, but not ALs.

Bold part: BD's economy has progressed only because of separation from Pakistan. Budgetary allotment for West pakistan was more than 2/3rd and that of east was less than 1/3rd throughout the 23 years of union.

So, should our independence be equated with what benefit India is getting when we ourselves are getting much more benefits because of availability of Indian raw materials and food?

I did not equate these two things actually. I avoided that discussion by saying: "I am not saying" if you look that post again. What BD were today with PK is still debatable to me. I was just trying to say Flame Retardant that India benefited from our war economically.

I also told this before and I agree this. You might have noticed that I bash so AL more, but India very less. I can go with Indians, but not ALs.

I did not equate these two things actually. I avoided that discussion by saying: "I am not saying" if you look that post again. What BD were today with PK is still debatable to me. I was just trying to say Flame Retardant that India benefited from our war economically.

It only means you are saying something in one hand and then denying the same. This is what that expression implies.

It only means you are saying something in one hand and then denying the same. This is what that expression implies.

I said that is debatable to me, I have no conclusive answer yet. You may have.

I said that is debatable to me, I have no conclusive answer yet. You may have.

The report below was published by none other than the Planning Commission of Pakistan. Hope, it will enlighten you about the exploitation of Bangladesh when Pakistan was united.

**eastwatch**

Economic Exploitation: 1948-1971 Part II

a) Plan b) W. Pakistan c) E. Pakistan

Rupees in crores

a) 1950/51-54/55 b)1129 crores c) 524 crores

a) 1955/56-59/60 b)1655 crores c) 524 crores

a) 1960/61-64/65 b) 3355 crores c) 1404 crores

a) 1965/66-69/70 b) 5195 crores c) 2141 crores
==================================
Total b) 12834 crores c) 4300 crores

Reports of the Advisory Panels for the Fourth Five Year Plan 1970-75, Vol. I, published by the Planning commission of Pakistan

- See more at: Virtual Bangladesh : History : Economic Exploitation

The report below was published by none other than the Planning Commission of Pakistan. Hope, it will enlighten you about the exploitation of Bangladesh when Pakistan was united.

**eastwatch**

Rupees in crores

Reports of the Advisory Panels for the Fourth Five Year Plan 1970-75, Vol. I, published by the Planning commission of Pakistan

There is little doubt that being part of Pakistan till 1971 had a massive effect on BD's prosperity. The strength of BD's culture is nowhere near reflected in the current level of GDP/capita which is just over USD1K

It is my personal opinion that an independent BD from 1947 would now be a middle-income country on par with Malaysia or Turkey.

**eastwatch**

Rupees in crores

I looked at the site of Planning commission of Pakistan, and found that there were actually 3 Five-year plans before 71, and the 4th Five-year plan was started from 71, it means E.pK did not avail the plan of 4th Five-year plan.

The plans were in follow:

First Five Year Plan 1955-60
Second Five Year Plan 1960-65
Third Five Year Plan 1965-70
Fourth Plan Period 1971-76

Source: National Plans

So it Seems there some discrepancies between the figures in your link and Planning commission of Pakistan's site.

1. Your site shows 4 Five-year plans, but Planning commission of Pakistan's site shows 3 Five-year plans before 71.
2. Your sites shows the allotment for 4th was 41%, but Planning commission of Pakistan's site shows 52.53% for 4th Five-year Plan Period 1971-76.
3. Your sites shows the total allotment in all 4 Five-year plans was 36%, but Planning commission of Pakistan's site shows it was 36% for 3rd Five Year Plan 1965-70 [look point 10 below].
4. It is also found that the allotment ratio was according to the Provincial GDP [look point 6 below]. Not total GDP of PK. May be that was the another reason of less allotment for e.pk.
5. The reports/quotes below nicely explains the reasons of the difference between E.pk and W.pk which you side has not explained in that much detail.

I have quoted few parts of the reports below, and I seems that there was a very good plan for the 4th Four year plan, but E.PK separated before that.

Comment:

1. So the allegation of 1/3 allotment is not true as per the reports. Especially, not true at all for the 3rd and 4th Four plans.
2. Also in another thread of mine, I found that BD's avg per capita growth is last 30 years is not very much different from the last 10 years of E.pk considering the current US dollar.
3. So considering the reports of Planning commission of Pakistan and my personal findings, and the infrastructure build in E.pk in era, I think the discrimination was there but exaggerated. So the issues is still debatable to me.

...........................................................Quotes..................................................................

Two Decades OF Development

GNP and Per Capita Income

3. The country's GNP increased by 122 per cent, in real terms, over the twenty .
year period that is, at an annual rate of 4.1 per cent. The increase was less marked
in the first decade over which a 28 per cent increase was recorded than in the second ,,
decade which witnessed a 73 per cent expansion. The differential in the growth
rate of the two decades was highly significant for the growth of per capita output.
The increase in the growth rate of GNP from 2.5 per cant in the first decade to.
5.6 per cent in the next (see Table 1) represented the difference between stagnating
per capita income and significant increases in it, i.e., between a nominal increase in
per capita income of Rs. 7 over the first decade and an increase of Rs. 91 over the
second decade. Influenced by sluggish growth in the first ten years and rapid
population growth, rate of growth of per capita income over the two decades was
restricted to 1.4 per cent per annum. Furthermore, successive Plan attempts to the
contrary, imbalance in regional income distribution accentuated as East Paksitan's
per capita income increased at an annual rate of only 0.7 per cent while in West
Pakistan the rate was over 2 per cent. Desperate performance in the agricultural
sector, discussed in detail later, and concentration of private enterprise in the manufacturing sector in West Pakistan were the main factors responsible for the unbalanced growth.

9. The tables on production and yields of principal crops also explain at
least partly, the imbalance in regional growth in agricultural output. The
improvements jn the sixties in both production and yields are marked in wheat,
cotton, sugarcane, and rice grown in West Pakistan. By contrast, the yields of jute
and tea fell during this period and the yields of rice grown in East Pakistan showed
a comparatively moderate improvement. This has largely been the result of less
favorable conditions for modernization in East Pakistan. Smaller farm holdings and low income levels created severe problems of financing and of institutional organization of heavy investment ; floods were destructive as well as deterrent ; and, unlike West Pakistan, irrigation was virtually unknown. Finally,
high yielding varieties of wheat and even rice gave better results in West
Pakistan.

10. The increase in production aid yields has come partly from larger area
and partly from modernization in farm practices. In West Pakistan, cultivated
area expanded by around 30 per cent. Agricultural output on the other
hand has nearly doubled. The consumption of chemical fertilizers ;*as shot up
from 17,600 to 300,000 nutrient tons between 1954-55 in 1969-70. Despite this
increase, the use d f-rs, still much below average use in more developed countries, is on a sharply increasing trend. An upsurge in :he installation and use of tubewells, which commenced in the late fifties, has not only added to the scarce
water availability but assured its timing. The growth in private tubewells, so far
confined to West Pakistan, continues to take place at the rate of ovw 8,W
tubewells installed each year. More recently, within the last few years, high yielding
varieties of seeds have been a prominent source of growth. These three highly complementary factors have had a strong impact in West Pakistan where prospects of a
prospering agriculture are now emerging. The extension and pesticide services
provided by the government also played an important role. The cultivated area in
East Pakistan is roughly the same now as it was in 1950. There has been some
increase in the area sown to winter rice crop but its impact on total production is
still not substantial. A combination of government irrigation and extension
programmes, of generous credits and of cooperatives is necessary to achieve a
break-through.

Development during Third Fourth-Year Plan

23. Various developments have taken place during the Third Plan period
which have implications for the strategy of the Fourth Plan. During the Third
Plan the economy had to operate within a tremendous squeeze on resources.
The combined impact of reduced aid flows and increased defence expenditures
introduced a scarcity of development funds notwithstanding a doubling of the
proposed Ran target of additional taxation. Investment and savings rate declined
significantly and intermediate industrial imports were cut sharply. The revised
strategy of concentration on agriculture did recompense somewhat for the faU
in industrial growth rate but here too recurrent floods in East Pakistan and drou-
ghts for two successive years in West Pakistan led to foodgrain shortages in some
years. The scarcity sf development funds hurt social sector programmes most.
These sectors bore the brunt of the squeeze since attempts to safeguard growth
impulses were given first priority. The disparity in per capita income of East
and West Pakistan also increased during the period because the agricultural
break-through was limited to West Pakistan .
The growing imbalances in personal
and regional incomes, the cut in social sector programmes ad the rising cost of
living underlined the need for greater attention to social objectives. These com-
pdsions can no longer be ignored in the Fourth Plan.

http://www.pc.gov.pk/five year plans/4th/4th5yPlanCH-1editing.pdf

Review of the 3rd Plan

2. A major factor in slow growth in East Pakistan has been the behaviour of
agriculture sector which accounted for 55 % of the regional product of East *****-
tan during the Third Plan period.
Although some success was achieved in in-
creasing output of ' Boro ' crop (winter rice), its weight remained small in the total
rice production. Similar increase could not be achieved in the two major crops viz.
'' Aus " and " Aman " (rain-fed summer and autumn rice). These were frequently
affected by floods and drought. New varieties of seeds were also not yet available
which could be used with irregular water supply during monsoon.

3. The second important factor was a serious shortfall in investment. Against
a plan target of Rs. 16,000 million for the public sector in East Pakistan, invest-
ment would be around Rs. 11,300 million.
If corrections for price increase of invest-
ment goods during the Third Plan were made, the shortfall would still be larger.
The extent of shortfall was magnified by the fact that certain development agencies
unable to increase their revenues, used a part of their gross allocation for develop-
ment for servicing the past debt.

4. The shol-tfall was due to general pressure on resources arising from a
lower than expected inflow of foreign assistance and the need to provide for a larger
defence effort. While East Pakistan's share in the total development spending was
protected, it had lo absorb equally its part of the 28 per cent total shortfall in public
sector development expenditure.

5. The performance of private sector was very unsatisfactory. Against a target
investment of Rs. 11,000 million, actual private investment would not exceed Rs.
5,450 million, that is, less than 50% of the target.
To begin with, the allocation
was highly ambitious probably to the point of being unrealistic. Secondly, the
development of a special policy package for encouraging private investment in
East Pakistan was considerably delayed. In fact some of the measures adopted
afier the 1965 war to maintain monetary stability and to channel private invest-
ment in high priority industries discouraged the growth of nascent enterprise in less
'developed redons.
Further, procedural difficulties and long delays in obtaining
required foreign exchange and permission discouraged the relatively small investors
of East Pakistan, while the steady increase in the cost of imported capital goods
and raw materials occasioi~ally led to cancellation of investment plans by the investors.

6. The ratio of investment to Gross Provincial Product declined in West
Pakistan from 21 % in 1964-65 to less than 18 % in 1969-70. In East Pakistan
it remained constant at around 13 % over the same period. The investment was
not sufficiently large in East Pakistan to make the desired impact.
With the nor-
mal time lags and diffusion of investment over a large number of incomplete pro-
jects, growth rate showed virtually no improvement. West Pakistan, supported
by a break-through in agriculture, and a high rate of private investment pro-
tected its growth rate of 6 per cent. Thus contrary to the expectation of a more
rapid growth in East Pakistan and reducing disparity, the previous growth pattern
of the two regions continued, and the disparity in per capita incomes between
the two regions widened.

8. Against this background of the Third Plan experience, the Fourth Plan
has a crucial role to play in accelerating the economic growth of East Pakistan.
Serious efforts are being made to place the economy on a desirable growth-path by
undertaking a much bigger investment programme. A total programme of Rs.
39,400 million, is therefore, being proposed for East Pakistan within a plan size of
Rs. 75,000 million. [3940 in total 75,00 Rupees in crores, i.e 52.53% allotment for E.pk for the next 4th plan compare to 2141 for e.pk in Third year plan with was 42 % allotment for e.pk]

10. The above pattern of allocation constitutes a decisive step in accelerating
the rate of investment in East Pakistan. The share of East Pakistan will rise from
36 % in the implemented Third Plan to 52.5 % in the Fourth Plan implying an edge
of Rs. 3,800 million in the Public and Private Sectors taken together. In the
final year of the plan total development expenditure in East Pakistan will exceed
55 %.

11. As already mentioned in Chapter 3, the development expenditure in East
Pakistan in the public sector will increase from 11,300 million in the Third Plan to IRs. 29,400 million in the Fourth Plan registering an increase of 160 %. This will
mean that East Pakistan will have an edge of Rs. 9,800 million in the public sector
over the four provinces of West Pakistan and an overall share of 60 %.
During the
Third Plan East Pakistan implemented a development programme in the public
sector which was Rs. 2,400 million less than that spent in West Pakistan including
lndus Basin expenditure.

12. Private investment is expected to virtually double over the Fourth Plan
period rising from Rs. 5,450 million in the Third Plan to Rs. 10,000 million in the
Fourth Plan. This is backed by a strong policy package designed to encourage
private investment in East Pakistan.
The measures have already been announced
and are expected to produce the desired results.

13. The annual acceleration in the total development expenditure in East
Pakistan during the Fourth Plan will be about 19 %. The ratio of investment
to GRP will increase from 13 % in 1969-70 to 22% in 1974-75. This would com-
pare with an investment ratio of 16 per cent in West Pakistan in the final year of
the Fourth Plan.

14. The higher ratio of investment is no doubt necessary in East Pakistan
to attain the plan objective of redressing inter-regional disparity in per capita
income as also to achieve equitable distribution of economic benefits to various
regions and provinces through a more balanced development effort. Yet, large
investment alone would not achieve the projected growth target in East Pakistan
or redress economic disparity at the rate visulalised. The following additional
factors and elements must receive greater attention if the objective of realising
the projected growth target is to be achieved :-

A. Critical growth points in agriculture and promising .sub-sectors in
industries must be identified and exploited vigorously to achieve rapid
growth and to ensure the best use of resources.

B. The programme of administrative decentralisation for the implementa-
tion of development plans to expedite the process of project preparation
and create a greater sense of responsibility among the provincial plan-
ning and implementing agencies to show promised results, must be
undertaken.

C. A concerted drive to identify and prepare additional projects for aid
negotiations must be launched to ensure that an adequate portfolio
of aid worthy projects is available for aid negotiations. Unless this is
done, the expected increase in the flow of external resources to East
Pakistan implicit in the proposed allocations will not be realised.

D. The efficiency and organisation of Public corporations must be improved
substantially to ensure that the additional investment proposed for East
Pakistan yields adequate return and helps to achieve the desired econo-
mic and physical targets.

E. Measures to activise the private sector in East Pakistan must be taken
expeditiously to ensure the projected acceleration in private investment
in industries, agric~dture and transport and communications. The
bulk of the increase in production expected in the Fourth Plan can
come only from the activities of the private sector.

.................................................Quote.......................................................................

Full reports are below both for E.pk and W.pk

http://www.pc.gov.pk/five year plans/4th/4th5yPlanCH-26editing.pdf
http://www.pc.gov.pk/five year plans/4th/4th5yPlanCH-27editing.pdf

[tag.skies]

@Skies - With all due respect you are going against the opinion of all major neutral observers that the West Pakistanis used Bangladesh's resources to invest in the West. BD subsidised Pakistan for decades on end.

Sustained GDP growth of over 5% a year over the last 30 years was only possible by BD taking charge of it's own destiny. Even through a worldwide economic crisis over the last 5 years, BD's economy has sustained 6% per annum growth. Just imagine what an independent BD would have achieved in the 1950s and 1960s, free to independently export it's jute and tea and invest those revenues back into it's own economy. I can tell you 3rd world status probably would have been a distant memory to current Bangladeshis.

Old Pakistan is history and it broke up precisely because it was not based on equality - no amount of Indian propaganda and subversion would have broken up a just state.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gentlemen, please read the reasons for discontents. These were written by foreign University teachers. I am surprised how some one can still deny all the disparities sustained by the east and make indirect propaganda in favour of a joint Pakistan. I am just surprised.

**eastwatch**

Conflict in East Pakistan

Authors:
[1] Edward S. Mason, Lamont University Professor Emeritus, Harvard University.
[2] Robert Dorfman, Professor of Economics, Harvard University.
[3] Stephen A. Marlin, Professor of Economics Harvard University

Some excerpts:
The basic facts seem to support the East Pakistani charge of economic domination by the West. The economic disparities between East and West Pakistan have been so serious for so long that the Pakistan Government's highest planning authority has been forced to take official note of them...

East Pakistan blame three instruments of the Central Government for their plight:-

1) Pakistan's scant investible resources, plus foreign aid, are directed unduly to the development of West Pakistan - to the comparative neglect of East Pakistan

2) In particular, East Pakistan's foreign trade earning are diverted to finance imports for West Pakistan.

3) Economic policy favors West Pakistan at the expense of East Pakistan. Specifically, tariffs, import controls, and industrial licensing compel East Pakistan to purchase commodities from West Pakistan which, but for the controls could be obtained more cheaply in world markets.

@Skies - With all due respect you are going against the opinion of all major neutral observers that the West Pakistanis used Bangladesh's resources to invest in the West. BD subsidised Pakistan for decades on end.

Sustained GDP growth of over 5% a year over the last 30 years was only possible by BD taking charge of it's own destiny. Even through a worldwide economic crisis over the last 5 years, BD's economy has sustained 6% per annum growth. Just imagine what an independent BD would have achieved in the 1950s and 1960s, free to independently export it's jute and tea and invest those revenues back into it's own economy. I can tell you 3rd world status probably would have been a distant memory to current Bangladeshis.

Old Pakistan is history and it broke up precisely because it was not based on equality - no amount of Indian propaganda and subversion would have broken up a just state.

There was inequality alright but i think they are exaggerated to an extent
and we will never know if we would become a middle income country.Mujib and his thug family being the main reason.i would like to hear @asad71 's view on this

There was inequality alright but i think they are exaggerated to an extent
and we will never know if we would become a middle income country.Mujib and his thug family being the main reason.i would like to hear @asad71 's view on this

Of course, we will never REALLY know but there is a good possibility that it would have happened.

Mujib and his family would have been irrelevant had BD attained independence in 1947. He was actually a creature that took advantage of the former Pakistan era to rise in prominence.

Taking into account, the much better economic performance of BD since independence, then on balance, a BD that became independent in 1947, would probably now be a middle income nation.

There is little doubt that being part of Pakistan till 1971 had a massive effect on BD's prosperity. The strength of BD's culture is nowhere near reflected in the current level of GDP/capita which is just over USD1K

It is my personal opinion that an independent BD from 1947 would now be a middle-income country on par with Malaysia or Turkey.

Simply/absolutely makes no sense at all that BD could have been like Turkey/MY without joining with W.pk. Let me show some arguments.

What is the GDP per capita of Turkey in 2012? It's $10,666
What is the GDP per capita of Malaysia in 2012? It's $10,380
What is the GDP per capita of China in 2012? It's $6,091
What is the GDP per capita of India in 2012? It's $1,489
What is the GDP per capita of Pakistan in 2012? It's $1,290
What is the GDP per capita of BD in 2013? It's $1,040

Like they say, W.PK took all the resources from E.pk, and if that was not happen then BD were like Turkey today.!!!

Then tell me,
Why GDP per capita of Pakistan is not Turkey today even after stealing E.PK's money?
Why GDP per capita of India is not Turkey today who was not exploited like E.PK?
Why GDP per capita of China is not Turkey today which has been doing super well?

Also I shown before that the avg rate in PK era and BD era are not very different:
PK era and BD era

So such irrational claim is like just Awami propaganda and fabrication as Bangalies have been fed for years

Gentlemen, please read the reasons for discontents. These were written by foreign University teachers. I am surprised how some one can still deny all the disparities sustained by the east and make indirect propaganda in favour of a joint Pakistan. I am just surprised.

You did not say why the figures are different from the PK commissions site to that BD site that I asked earlier.

As far the Foreign University Teaches of Harvard are concerned, to conduct the research they have to use the data from PK authority. It is not certain that being the citizens of another country they would get more accurate data on local expenditures of a country than the documented data available to PK authority. Perhaps that is why the teachers' figures and PK authority figures are different as i shown earlier. Plus, if you read the reports, they do not look like propaganda.

http://www.pc.gov.pk/five year plans/4th/4th5yPlanCH-1editing.pdf

http://www.pc.gov.pk/five year plans/4th/4th5yPlanCH-26editing.pdf

http://www.pc.gov.pk/five year plans/4th/4th5yPlanCH-27editing.pdf

Back
Top Bottom