What's new

#PeoplesDailyComments Why are Chinese mobile phones popular in India?

India's mobile data consumption is highest in the world. Its more than mobile data consumption of USA, China put together. Its a huge market. Chinese have done their homework and capitalized on it. kudos to them.:tup:

What's there to be amazed? What amazes me in the price points at which China is able to sell products - have been ordering a lot of stuff from AliExpress - excellent quality and ridiculously low prices. Can someone enlighten me on how good are the Li-Ning Tennis shoes? They are about 1/2 the price of a good Asics or Adidas. But are they good?

That thing of "prevent Chinese refugees into India", is what dropped my jaw, given much lower living standards of average people and notorious reputation on some aspects in the latter country.

There is a widespread saying, that chinese companies using "80% of the quality for 60% of the price" as business model. To some or maybe many degrees, it is ture. The products are with functionality that behind the leading edge, but still good enough for most of the customers from countries around the worlds, including developed ones, let alone India.

For the lower price, there are many reasons why China can do. I can mention some from what I see:

1. High quality of working force (specially blue-collar). We have a flexible, capable, and efficient work force. It has to do with confucius culture and high literacy rate, which is usually high in east asian. For example, Vietnam 94%, China 96%. India 74% by the way.
I work in manufacture, and I have seen workers in/from many countries, Indonesia, India, Vietnam, malaysia, Ethiopia (Africa), Thailand... No one can beat Chinese workers, some are close, but some lag much behind, in eithor efficiency or quality. Given same cost (wage+), if I was the boss, I would definitely choose chinese workers, not even in a tiny doubt.

2. Labour cost, of course. Iphone X sells at 999 in US. They can be "made in US" for sure, but you have to pay at least +$ 200 more, even you don't consider other factors.

3. The whole excellent and matured supply chain and management. Production of most products invovle dozens even hundreds of suppliers from many industries. Even many developped countries lack this or that in this aspect.

4. First class infrastructure. It is world-class one, if you have been to China.

5. Bulk production effect. If produce for only tiny amount, it can be very expensive in China.

And since you asked "They are about 1/2 the price of a good Asics or Adidas. But are they good?". I can tell you, yes they are. And I tell you a serect, a Burberry blouse that sells at USD 500, is in fact, of same quality to a Nordstorm one which prices at USD 50. Don't be too much into so-called the "brand" sometimes.

That thing of "prevent Chinese refugees into India", is what dropped my jaw, given much lower living standards of average people and notorious reputation on some aspects in the latter country.

There is a widespread saying, that chinese companies using "80% of the quality for 60% of the price" as business model. To some or maybe many degrees, it is ture. The products are with functionality that behind the leading edge, but still good enough for most of the customers from countries around the worlds, including developed ones, let alone India.

For the lower price, there are many reasons why China can do. I can mention some from what I see:

1. High quality of working force (specially blue-collar). We have a flexible, capable, and efficient work force. It has to do with confucius culture and high literacy rate, which is usually high in east asian. For example, Vietnam 94%, China 96%. India 74% by the way.
I work in manufacture, and I have seen workers in/from many countries, Indonesia, India, Vietnam, malaysia, Ethiopia (Africa), Thailand... No one can beat Chinese workers, some are close, but some lag much behind, in eithor efficiency or quality. Given same cost (wage+), if I was the boss, I would definitely choose chinese workers, not even in a tiny doubt.

2. Labour cost, of course. Iphone X sells at 999 in US. They can be "made in US" for sure, but you have to pay at least +$ 200 more, even you don't consider other factors.

3. The whole excellent and matured supply chain and management. Production of most products invovle dozens even hundreds of suppliers from many industries. Even many developped countries lack this or that in this aspect.

4. First class infrastructure. It is world-class one, if you have been to China.

5. Bulk production effect. If produce for only tiny amount, it can be very expensive in China.

And since you asked "They are about 1/2 the price of a good Asics or Adidas. But are they good?". I can tell you, yes they are. And I tell you a serect, a Burberry blouse that sells at USD 500, is in fact, of same quality to a Nordstorm one which prices at USD 50. Don't be too much into so-called the "brand" sometimes.

Ha, I like to remind some ultra patriotic Chinese posters than India is hosting 100,000 Chinese refugees recognized and sanctioned by the UNHRC - it's to rub them the wrong way and usually works.

Yes - I agree, no one can hold a candle to the Chinese in manufacturing. I would say that there is no difference in quality from a more reputed brand and an excellent Chinese one. I would say that in my experience the closest are the Thai - they too make excellent products. But no one can compete on cost.

And I admire the great progress China has made in bringing so many millions out of poverty in such a short time. They have a different system from us and it works for them. It would never work in India, so the rate of progress will always be slower.

I use a OnePlus 3T - will get the OnePlus 5T soon or the OnePlus 6 when it comes out. I see it as a value for money product and if it helps create jobs in China which prevents Chinese refugees to coming into India - I see it as a Win-Win. Less burden on India to house Chinese refugees and Indians get good value for money products.
Chinese refugees?? You mean India-controlled Kashmir big riots - Kashmiri people demand the withdrawal of the Indian government?
9b6eefd0-181e-41c7-a966-31bd1182fed9.jpg

You be the refugee in supa powa, you will become anaemic and live shorter.

Anaemia as a public health problem by country- Non-pregnant women of reproductive age.png
Life expectancy at birth 1990-2013.png

Chinese refugees?? You mean India-controlled Kashmir big riots - Kashmiri people demand the withdrawal of the Indian government?
9b6eefd0-181e-41c7-a966-31bd1182fed9.jpg
No I mean the 100,000 Chinese citizens living in India as refugees sanctioned by the UN. Is English difficult to comprehend?

Such rule especially applies to india where hunger is a worse issue compared to North Korea.

This is the first time, after searching indian news, I understand, in some country, 30000 rupees phones are considered premium instead of middle-range.....

Anyway, hope One Plus (considered premium priced phones in india) could do better in 2018.

Their success oversees is vital to China's moving up in the smart phone supply chain.

Any flagship phone is a premium phone, genius.

people will buy as long as product is good doesnt matter chinese or japanese.
Indian govt. should add some duty on chinese stuff though as Indian pharmas are not allowed in china and IT is also restricted much.

He meant the Dalai Lama and his followers.
He meant the Dalai Lama and his followers.
Yes your failure is due to our restrictions and your victory is due to your hard work and innovation!
I heared this already from our be loved yankees!
Typical pirate thoughts!
So USA can ban huawei for no reason(no proofs whatsoever for espionnage)and we China can not ban facebook(google ,ebay not banned they are either defeated by alibaba and tencent and baidu,or does not want to respect chinese laws of filtration and move itself volontierly to google.hk) which according to former CIA Edward Snowden first hand proofs have been helping spy the whole world for several decades!

In 2013, Snowden - PRISM, so far has not been disclosed to the public. Through this program, the U.S. government collects information directly from these nine corporate servers, including Microsoft, Google, Yahoo, Facebook, PalTalk, AOL, Skype, YouTube and Apple.

Last edited:
people will buy as long as product is good doesnt matter chinese or japanese.
Indian govt. should add some duty on chinese stuff though as Indian pharmas are not allowed in china and IT is also restricted much.
In 2013, Snowden provided confidential documents to the media resulting in "exposure" of several secret intelligence surveillance projects of the U.S. government, including the "Prism" project. Snowden's exposure of the document shows that this monitoring project code-named PRISM, so far has not been disclosed to the public. Through this program, the U.S. government collects information directly from these nine corporate servers, including Microsoft, Google, Yahoo, Facebook, PalTalk, AOL, Skype, YouTube and Apple.

Last edited by a moderator:

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom