What's new

Peoples republic of china and Republic of china

Lol, unlike in the PRC, you can talk here all you want. If Taiwanese don't want to identify themselves with 1.3 billion communist, peniless, censoring, and repressed Chinese, you can't do anything about it. As far as the citizens of the world outside of China and Pakistan are conserned, people from Taiwan are Taiwanese, not Chinese.

If the Taiwanese don’t want to identify themselves with the communists, they have the freedom. But they love to move millions of their @sses across the Strait into the mainland and live happily thereafter among the “1.3 billion Communists”. :lol:

LOL, are you forgetting raving about x.x billion of westerners that are repressed monetarily by handful and penniless democracy bankers who have to beg to and borrow from the communists, including 3x million Canadians and 0.3x billion Americans? Oh, yeah, you can vote? Sure, you vote for another puppet of bankers. Can you do anything about that?

Recession started from later 2007 and is expected to last for another 3 years. Can you do anything about that? Nothing but hug and beg the communists!

:lol:

Learn how to respect the communists, beggar!

Lol, unlike in the PRC, you can talk here all you want. If Taiwanese don't want to identify themselves with 1.3 billion communist, peniless, censoring, and repressed Chinese, you can't do anything about it. As far as the citizens of the world outside of China and Pakistan are conserned, people from Taiwan are Taiwanese, not Chinese.

1. According to ROC (Taiwan) Constitution, Taiwan is part of China.
2. USA, PRC and ROC all agree on One China Principle.
3. DPP, the pro-independence party in Taiwan, introduced a bill to declare independence/reenter UN when it was the ruling party. KMT, the anti-independence party, decided to abstain coz KMT was tired of never-ending fight between the two parties and wanted Uncle Sam to teach DPP a lesson. Then DPP got a call from Washington DC. Something funny happened: DPP voted against the bill they proposed. What a joke.

One year after that slapstick comedy show, DPP lost the election by a huge margin and Mr. Ma from KMT took office. He announced a new policy in 2008:No Unification, No Independence and No Military Conflict. He also assures both PRC and USA that he will stay with 1992 Consensus: Both sides of the Taiwan Strait agree that there is only one China. However, the two sides of the Strait have different opinions as to the meaning of one China and legitimate representative.

I for one like Mr. Ma's policy. We shouldn't push for a quick unification. But we Chinese together with USA absolutely will say no to Taiwan independence. How about let time solve the problem, why not?

But after more than 60 years isn't it better for each just to go its own way? Haven't the population on both sides of the strait grown to far apart to unify?
Germany is still having trouble with its unification after 20 years and the bigger part being richer than the smaller part. In China's case it would be the other way round so financially it will be much harder to unify.

All other things not considered Taiwan is too strategically important to China to be left independent.
Wealth disparity is not an issue as they are not looking to unify right now, as China grows more influential you will find the voice for reunification will increase.

Do you know why China let HK essentially rule itself in all but names for 50 years from 1997? They calculated that time is needed to bring the whole of China up to comparable standards to HK. When that time arrives HK will happily reintegrate.

Shenzhen was there to act as a buffer between HK and rest of China, just look at it's geographical position. It's made an EEZ to.

1) Piggyback on HK's growth.

2) Conducting an experiment on more capitalistic society and commerce.

3) Soften disparity in HKer's view between HK and mainland China.

Do you know why China let HK essentially rule itself in all but names for 50 years from 1997? They calculated that time is needed to bring the whole of China up to comparable standards to HK. When that time arrives HK will happily reintegrate.

Shenzhen was there to act as a buffer between HK and rest of China, just look at it's geographical position. It's made an EEZ too.

I love visiting Shenzhen. :D

A lot of people don't realize this, but the northern parts of Hong Kong (New territories) are actually connected directly to the Chinese mainland. Kowloon and New Territories are part of a peninsula, that is physically attached to the mainland.

You could theoretically walk straight across from Hong Kong into mainland China. Though of course most people take the train.

The strategic importance I can understand. But it can be solved by a stratic partnership.

The HK case is a little different, bacause
1. The handover date was set 99 years before the handover, so a lot of time to prepare for that.
2. HK never has had self governance
3. HK was not over 60 years in a state of war with China (there is no peace treaty between TW an CN right now, is there?)

Strategic partnership can never bring you the level of control an actual reunification brings, CCP is hard-eyed about this. In this case all roads they take eventually have the aim of leading to reunification in mind. They are not going to accept anything less in the long term. As long as Taiwan doesn't declare independence they are willing to wait.

Taiwan is strategically important in a geo-political way. So is south china sea.

You can be glad there was a handover date for HK, otherwise it would have been taken by force long ago, possibly before the korean war. And I think even with their superior navy there would be nothing the british with all their carriers could do.

Deng has stressed that he will not hesitate to use force if the british does no honour their lease terms by 1997, and in this case the legitimacy is on the Chinese side so the moral of the PLA would be high if a conflict ever results.

At the moment there is no level of control what so ever, isn't that worse than having limited control (and I presume we are talking about the Taiwan strait, not about TW itself).
And of course the fact that TW is looking for strategic partners elsewhere, now and in the future.

There are both ongoing and planned strategic partnerships between China and Taiwan. But China is not going to sacrifice the goal of reunification for strategic partnership, if both cannot be attained they will opt for the latter.

Well my guts says there won't be a peacefull reunification in the near future. And the longer it takes, the less likely it will get.
But than again, I'm no fortune teller, and my guts are even a worse a fortune teller.:no:

Deng has stressed that he will not hesitate to use force if the british does no honour their lease terms by 1997, and in this case the legitimacy is on the Chinese side so the moral of the PLA would be high if a conflict ever results.

Yes, legitimacy was definitely on the Chinese side of the Hong Kong handover negotiations.

It was ridiculous for a Chinese city like HK, to be ruled over by a British expat (Chris Patten) who couldn't even speak a single sentence in Cantonese.

I actually liked Chris Patten as a person, but he as a British expatriate, really had no legitimacy to rule over a city full of Hong Kong Chinese.

Well my guts says there won't be a peacefull reunification in the near future. And the longer it takes, the less likely it will get.
But than again, I'm no fortune teller, and my guts are even a worse a fortune teller.:no:

There should be no more bloodshed between Chinese people. We have had enough of brothers killing brothers, and sisters killing sisters during the last Chinese Civil War.

If I had to choose between killing my own brothers or letting them go, I would prefer to let them go.

But I'm sure they will come around in the end. Even if it takes 100 years.

I agree that Taiwan have a lot of bring to help China modernize. This does not include companies such as Foxcon in China. But Taiwanese politicians can help bring about political reform in China.

You guys pay attention to anything ao333 says? He's good at escaping mental institutions, seeing how he comes back once in a while to post before being caught again. Other than that, it's pretty much nonsense. Security at Coquilam Fraser Institute is getting lax these days, seeing how he kept slipping through.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom