What's new

PCB chairman wants Amir return

Pukhtoon

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
14ue5b5.jpg

PCB chairman Zaka Ashraf has said that Mohammad Amir, the Pakistan fast bowler who was released from custody in the UK on Wednesday, will be welcomed back to the national team once he has served his ICC ban. Ashraf added that Amir would be given financial support while undergoing rehabilitation.

The 19-year-old Amir was released from Portland Young Offenders Institution in Dorset after serving half of a six-month sentence for his part in a spot-fixing scam. He is currently in London where he will meet his lawyers to draw up an appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) against the five-year ban imposed on him by the ICC for the same offence.

"Once he serves the ban, then he could come into the team," Ashraf said. "He is a young Pakistani, he committed a mistake and it was a case of a huge talent lost.

"We will have to see how his appeal goes in the CAS. After serving the ban he can come back in the team, but the final decision will be down to the selectors who will judge his fitness.

"I want to see Amir back, but only after considering the legality of the case and only after he serves the ban. We can do the rehab programme while he is serving his ban. We can do the rehab programme and also use him in lectures to other players so that he can be financially helped."

An ICC tribunal banned Amir for five years in February 2011. His team-mate Mohammad Asif was given a seven-year ban - with two years suspended - and the former Pakistan captain Salman Butt was banned for ten years, five suspended. Shortly after the decision Amir announced his intention to appeal the decision to the CAS, an arbitration body set up to settle legal disputes relating to sport.

Amir and his two team-mates were give custodial sentences in November 2011 after being convicted at Southwark Crown Court of conspiracy to accept corrupt payments and conspiracy to cheat at gambling. A plot to bowl deliberate no-balls in a Test against England in 2010 was uncovered in a News of the World sting operation. Amir and Butt lost an appeal against the sentence in November in the Court of Appeal in London.

The judge, Mr Justice Cooke, ruled at Southwark Crown Court that the affair was "so serious that only imprisonment will suffice". Butt was sentenced to two-and-a-half years, Asif was jailed for one year, and Amir for six months. Mazhar Majeed, the players' agent, received a sentence of two years eight months. Majeed had boasted to undercover reporters that he could arrange for Pakistan cricketers to rig elements of games for money and was surreptitiously filmed accepting £150,000 in cash from a journalist.

Ashraf blamed Majeed for the players' involvement in spot-fixing and reiterated that Pakistan cricket would not give up on Amir.

"Definitely we will rehabilitate Amir through an education programme," he said. "Whatever has happened we are sad, not only me but also most of the Pakistani people are sad for this young boy who, with the other players, was trapped by Majeed."

Spot-fixing controversy: PCB chairman wants Amir return | Pakistan Cricket News | ESPN Cricinfo

We want him BaCk !!

Nope... Greed makes you do stupid things and Aamir has become a Gandi Machli now... and should be set as an example for the future players.
A wiseman once said: Azmaaye huay ko Dobara Azmana Jahalat hay... but we Pakistanis are good at doing that 'Jahalat' over and over again and provides 2nd chance to anyone who had already been tried and tested.

aww cmon dude our team is trying to get its credibility straight dont screw it

We want him BaCk !!

no we dont he will ruin a very difficult made image of pakistan team he fixed the match he must pay the price by never returning and show other cricketers the price

team winning today because British judge cleaned our team dont make it dirty again please

hahahahahaahha:rofl:

i say better normal players who are honest rather then brilliant players who cheat.... our team may have defects but i like them win or lose they are playing honest

If he(ashraf) were talking about asif or Butt my answer would be the same BUT for amir i definitely want him back.If he did wrong its bcoz of his age and bcoz of seniors.You can say may be becoz of blackmailing.

So if he admit that he did wrong and also he got his punishment for that now we should also forgive him isn't it ?

Dont wanna see waste Talent like him !!

Too early to say. He got another 4 years to serve. Who knows where our team will be - he may not get in. Will he be able to keep his fitness up? There are loads of Amirs in Gujar Khan waiting to be discovered!!
Also you must remember we in our lives have all made mistakes - the guy has made a huge error in his life. For this he has been banned and jailed. He has served his punishment - we cant punish him for all his life. He must be aloud to be rehabiliated into society. If he is good enough and he serves his time he should be able to casrry his trade out.

Nope... Greed makes you do stupid things and Aamir has become a Gandi Machli now... and should be set as an example for the future players.
A wiseman once said: Azmaaye huay ko Dobara Azmana Jahalat hay... but we Pakistanis are good at doing that 'Jahalat' over and over again and provides 2nd chance to anyone who had already been tried and tested.

I couldn't agree more but azmae hua already parliament maen bathe han and are way more and more corrupt so y not give this poor chap a chance .

If he(ashraf) were talking about asif or Butt my answer would be the same BUT for amir i definitely want him back.If he did wrong its bcoz of his age and bcoz of seniors.You can say may be becoz of blackmailing.

So if he admit that he did wrong and also he got his punishment for that now we should also forgive him isn't it ?

Dont wanna see waste Talent like him !!

Pregda kana yara 'Da tol dalagan shoot kol pakar dee'...

Aamir is history now. There're far better, talented and capable players waiting in line for a chance - to be nurtured and polished just like Aamir.

He sold the grace of Pakistan and the dignity of millions. Traitors should be executed.

Too early to say. He got another 4 years to serve. Who knows where our team will be - he may not get in. Will he be able to keep his fitness up? There are loads of Amirs in Gujar Khan waiting to be discovered!!
Also you must remember we in our lives have all made mistakes - the guy has made a huge error in his life. For this he has been banned and jailed. He has served his punishment - we cant punish him for all his life. He must be aloud to be rehabiliated into society. If he is good enough and he serves his time he should be able to casrry his trade out.

too early it has to be years our team dont need him they r fine without him just bcz he has awsome talent doesnt mean he will get away with it his crime is not spot fixing its ruining the image of his team his country putting his countrymen to shame just for his own greed i dont care how poor he was it was not right. he needs to be an example for the rest no matter how talented you are you will not get away with it.

---------- Post added at 10:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:03 PM ----------

y not give this poor chap a chance

poor chap will do it again thinking he can get away with first he did spot fixing without taking into consideration the entire country and he was stupid enough to get caught too boot i say kick him out

I couldn't agree more but azmae hua already parliament maen bathe han and are way more and more corrupt so y not give this poor chap a chance .

Jo parliament main baitay hay... unn ke karnamay to aap ne mulahiza kiye hongay... aor ye sub tabhi hua hay jub hum na unko dobara chance dia hay... dekh lo sub awam kia bugat rahi hay abb...

Isi liey kehtay hay, azmaye hue ko dobara azmana Jahalat hay...

I agree with Zaka. He should be given one more chance.

There are two sides to this from an outsiders point of view.
1. Take him back - good talent, served his punishment needs an other chance.
2. Image of the team and a lesson for the young players.

I would stick to the second option.

There are two sides to this from an outsiders point of view.
1. Take him back - good talent, served his punishment needs an other chance.
2. Image of the team and a lesson for the young players.

I would stick to the second option.

I undersand your choice - dude remember he was 17 when he was heavily influenced by his mentors. He was still a minor. He was 1000s of miles away from family and friends. He should have been guided by his coach and elders. He made a grave misjudgement and has now suffered punishment and complete humiliation. I personally believe he will struggle to come back.
Do you believe after paying his dues to society, by being jailed and a 5 year ban he hasnt suffered enough. Lets have a think - should a person be punished for life because of a mistake he made when a teenager? I believe it would be grossly unfair to let him not continue his work...

Back
Top Bottom